PDA

View Full Version : Agents

MeMyself&Me
7/6/2011, 10:38 PM
Read an article in USA Today this afternoon that talked about corruption in college football. One thing that was mentioned was the possibility that the bigger money schools (AQ conferences) would up and leave the NCAA which is something I've mentioned as a possibility a few times for other reasons but the thing that jumped out to me was the possibility of allowing players to sign with agents. That was something I've never considered. It was brought up by BB brain no less but it sounded like a good idea.

If you ban it (as it is now) you can't control it. If you allow it, and even license it, then you can control it, make rules and guidelines for it, and decide who can be an agent. Thoughts?

ashley
7/7/2011, 05:42 AM
What is good about a player signing with an agent?

MojoRisen
7/7/2011, 07:14 AM
I guess if they are allowed to sign there would be less shadyness and recruiting with gifts going on... It could be more like a formal - controlled arrangement with rules of engagement. If the agents have a level playing field the potential of corruption might go down. Then again not sure if that would really have a direct correlation to their behaviors.

Sooner Cal
7/7/2011, 09:03 AM
Colleges aren't going to leave the NCAA. They need rules and enforcement.

Agents don't look out for players anymore than coaches do. At least today we have a coach who wants them to get a degree.

College football players are the most fortunate people on the planet. They get their education paid for (not cheap, especially if you count the costs of the academic support center).

If we drive up the costs higher, your ticket prices will have to go up. Do you want to pay more.

MeMyself&Me
7/7/2011, 11:05 AM
Colleges aren't going to leave the NCAA. They need rules and enforcement.

Agents don't look out for players anymore than coaches do. At least today we have a coach who wants them to get a degree.

College football players are the most fortunate people on the planet. They get their education paid for (not cheap, especially if you count the costs of the academic support center).

If we drive up the costs higher, your ticket prices will have to go up. Do you want to pay more.

Colleges do need rules and enforcement but it doesn't have to come from the NCAA. Where I've mentioned the possibility in the past was in reference to smaller 'have not' schools trying to force issues on the richer programs that the richer schools don't want any part of. The article talked about leaving the NCAA as a way of seperating the haves from the have nots in different terms but it was similar to the idea that the richer schools and the poorer schools really have very different interests.

As for the agents issue, if it's licensed, regulated, and controlled by the NCAA then it's in the open as to what they are doing. Agents would covet their license which would give NCAA power over them. And I agree that agents don't have the player's interest but I think this way could be better than just not allowing players to sign with agents... and then players doing it anyway.

I'm not talking about paying players here. That's another issue. So I don't see this as driving up the price of tickets and such. I agree with your assertion that college football players are very fortunate.

Jacie
7/7/2011, 11:20 AM
I agree with your assertion that college football players are very fortunate.

Except for the ones that die or suffer permanent paralysis . . . and the ones good enough to make it to the NFL only to be out after three seasons or so and are flat broke with no degree . . . and pretty much any of them that went four years and didn't get a degree . . . and the ones that are caught getting drunk or stoned like pretty much all us of did in college but because they are football players it becomes national news and everyone associated with the school is embarrassed . . . and the ones whose parents don't have a dime to give them so they have to eat all their meals in the cafeteria and can't go out with the rest of the team and do stuff . . . and the ones that show up for everything on time, work their butts off but never get to play in a game . . . and the ones that play for really crappy teams that lose all or most of their games and everyone thinks it is because they are worthless at playing football . . . did I miss anyone?

SoonerNomad
7/7/2011, 12:08 PM
Except for the ones that die or suffer permanent paralysis . . . and the ones good enough to make it to the NFL only to be out after three seasons or so and are flat broke with no degree . . . and pretty much any of them that went four years and didn't get a degree . . . and the ones that are caught getting drunk or stoned like pretty much all us of did in college but because they are football players it becomes national news and everyone associated with the school is embarrassed . . . and the ones whose parents don't have a dime to give them so they have to eat all their meals in the cafeteria and can't go out with the rest of the team and do stuff . . . and the ones that show up for everything on time, work their butts off but never get to play in a game . . . and the ones that play for really crappy teams that lose all or most of their games and everyone thinks it is because they are worthless at playing football . . . did I miss anyone?

I am of the strong opinion that we spend an awful lot of time anguishing over the small minority of players that might get screwed by the college system, (i.e. the Superstar who could go pro (or thinks he could go pro) whose jersey is being sold in the bookstore and he can't get any profits from them). Most college players cannot go pro and will not go pro. That is even true at SEC schools and at powerhouses like Oklahoma. The rest are chasing that dream but wouldn't have that opportunity without college football and the free education it provides.

Your post points to a few other subsets that might not be getting what they bargained for.

1. Permanently paralyzed or players that die - No argument from me here. This is an unfortunate group, and thankfully small in number, that no amount of money or no college education could ever compensate them or their families. Most of us would take the risk if given the chance, but I can't argue that this small group is a victim of college football and not fortunate.

2. the ones good enough to make it to the NFL only to be out after three seasons or so and are flat broke with no degree - Not feeling any sorrow for this group. They've blown two things most of us won't ever get. Tons of money from the NFL and a free education. They were fortunate to play college football. They just didn't learn anything from it.

3. pretty much any of them that went four years and didn't get a degree - Blown opportunities do not equate with not being fortunate to play college football.

4. the ones that are caught getting drunk or stoned like pretty much all us of did in college but because they are football players it becomes national news and everyone associated with the school is embarrassed - Not sure I get your point on this one. It is true they have more to lose, but that is because they have more to lose. They are being given a college education and a chance to continue to play a game. Most are given multiple chances to make the same bonehead mistakes that we made. I don't feel sorry for them. I envy their opportunity.

5. the ones whose parents don't have a dime to give them so they have to eat all their meals in the cafeteria and can't go out with the rest of the team and do stuff - this is the one that gets the most play from the talking heads. The ones whose parents have no money would either not be in college at all or taking out student loans. These guys have college paid for, food paid for and lodging paid for. Most college students would kill for that deal.

6. the ones that show up for everything on time, work their butts off but never get to play in a game - another fortunate group. Not even talented enough to get on the field, but getting a college education and being part of college football for another four years.

7. the ones that play for really crappy teams that lose all or most of their games and everyone thinks it is because they are worthless at playing football - these are among the most fortunate as well. Even the lousy division I schools are giving all of their players a free college educaton.

You probably did miss a few other subsets, but the bottom line is college football players are fortunate to be playing college football. That is why they work their asses off to get there. Only a small percentage will be making any additional money off the game, but the smart ones and the lucky ones got paid a college education to keep playing as long as they could.

texaspokieokie
7/7/2011, 03:47 PM
SoonerNomad--- Good Post !!!!

Jacie
7/7/2011, 04:10 PM
You just can't post anything with even a trace of sarcasm because someone will analyze it into the effing ground . . .

SoonerNomad
7/7/2011, 06:43 PM
Sorry Jacie, I missed the sarcasm. My bad.

MeMyself&Me
7/7/2011, 06:49 PM
It was still a good post for those that keep harping on the players get nothing line. I can tell you I certainly wish I had the opportunity to worry about those problems.

SoonerNomad
7/7/2011, 06:53 PM
Along those same lines I saw this today in part of a response in an si.com college football mailbag.

The next time you hear someone bemoan how evil the current system is to college players, go online, do some research and try to figure the financial value of a full four-year scholarship (average: $200,000), a dedicated academic support staff, strength trainers and medical professionals and tutelage from some of the most respected leaders in one's chosen field -- a field in which potential career earnings could reach into the tens of millions. Admittedly, whatever that number is will still not be in the same ballpark as Mack Brown's $5 million salary or the Pac-12's $250 million TV deal. However, I also guarantee the disparity won't be nearly as great as that of, say, IBM's annual revenue ($99 billion), its CEO's salary ($30.3 million) and that of the software engineers who actually produce the products (roughly $150,000). That's the way the world works, folks, not just the NCAA.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/07/06/utah-byu-mailbag/index.html#ixzz1RSzvkms8