PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Watched "The Pacific"

MsProudSooner2
7/6/2011, 09:36 PM
I rented a documentary from NetFlix called Price for Peace. It was an NBC special on Memorial Day, 2002. It was produced by Steven Ambrose and Steven Spielberg and it's subject is The War in the Pacific from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. It also covers some of the veterans who returned to Iwo Jima in 2001.

If you enjoyed "The Pacifc", you will enjoy this documentary.

AlboSooner
7/6/2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I loved the Pacific, more than band of brothers, a lot more.

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I loved the Pacific, more than band of brothers, a lot more.Your high.

Midtowner
7/6/2011, 09:50 PM
Your high.

Agreed.

bonkuba
7/6/2011, 10:17 PM
Pacific was very good.....no doubt......but Band of Brothers is in a different league.

Also thanks for the heads up on Netflix.

MelloYello
7/6/2011, 10:45 PM
"The Pacific" was awesome. I lived on Kwajalein Atoll last year when the miniseries came out. It was neat to explore that theater of the war while living on a tiny piece of coral that was itself a part of all that. It was strange to live on a small island where thousands of Japanese were killed, but all the plane and ship wrecks made for excellent diving.

Anyway, will have to check out "Price for Peace." Thanks for sharing.

GKeeper316
7/6/2011, 11:43 PM
"The Pacific" was awesome. I lived on Kwajalein Atoll last year when the miniseries came out. It was neat to explore that theater of the war while living on a tiny piece of coral that was itself a part of all that. It was strange to live on a small island where thousands of Japanese were killed, but all the plane and ship wrecks made for excellent diving.

Anyway, will have to check out "Price for Peace." Thanks for sharing.

just curious... what do you do that takes you to places like that?

MelloYello
7/7/2011, 02:29 AM
I'm a meteorologist working for a DoD contractor. Kwajalein is a site for missile testing and space research programs.

yermom
7/7/2011, 03:09 AM
Agreed.

i still haven't seen BoB, but that's the overwhelming opinion i've heard

i liked The Pacific though

JohnnyMack
7/7/2011, 07:52 AM
i still haven't seen BoB

????????????????

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2011, 07:54 AM
????????????????

He's a gay pothead, what do you expect?

KABOOKIE
7/7/2011, 07:57 AM
just curious... what do you do that takes you to places like that?

You're either a contract for the US govt or a Raytheon employee

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I loved the Pacific, more than band of brothers, a lot more.

wow - blasphemy - the Pacific wasnt anywhere close to the production quality and story line of Band of Brothers

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2011, 07:59 AM
i still haven't seen BoB, but that's the overwhelming opinion i've heard

get off the internet immediately

rent the dvd set

watch it

report back

JohnnyMack
7/7/2011, 08:00 AM
I'll mail you my set. Just stop being a wanker.

JohnnyMack
7/7/2011, 08:01 AM
And I'm actually reading With the old Breed right now. Amazing book.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2011, 08:07 AM
And I'm actually reading With the old Breed right now. Amazing book.

Yes, better than Helmet for my Pillow.

JohnnyMack
7/7/2011, 08:09 AM
Yes, better than Helmet for my Pillow.

They're just now getting into the bad **** on Okinawa. What these guys went through is just amazing.

yankee
7/7/2011, 09:03 AM
Band of Brothers was the greatest thing to ever happen to my DVD player.

sooneron
7/7/2011, 10:42 AM
BoB far> The Pacific.

Pacific was good, but BoB was outstanding.

yermom
7/7/2011, 04:29 PM
I'll mail you my set. Just stop being a wanker.

it's been on my list for years. i have access to it, but it might be a while before i get to it

AlboSooner
7/7/2011, 06:02 PM
wow - blasphemy - the Pacific wasnt anywhere close to the production quality and story line of Band of Brothers

Maybe I was tired of the myriad of stories told about the European side of the war, but I have to make a confession.

I watched BoB after the Pacific, but could not muster more than 4-5 episodes. I thought I would like it a lot, but I quit after 5 episodes. The fire fight scenes were more realistic more R-rated in the Pacific than BoB.

To see such an outpouring support for BoB has caused me to want to re-watch BoB, and get past 5 episodes.

MeMyself&Me
7/7/2011, 06:30 PM
Maybe I was tired of the myriad of stories told about the European side of the war, but I have to make a confession.

I watched BoB after the Pacific, but could not muster more than 4-5 episodes. I thought I would like it a lot, but I quit after 5 episodes. The fire fight scenes were more realistic more R-rated in the Pacific than BoB.

To see such an outpouring support for BoB has caused me to want to re-watch BoB, and get past 5 episodes.

I tried to watch BoB when it first aired on HBO thinking I was going to like it but I don't think I made it even to 4 or 5 episodes. It's been a long time so I'm not sure why but I think the issue I had was the same issue I have with a lot of war movies. If they continue the interpersonal story lines during battle scenes while everyone is covered head to toe in mud, I have a hard time following because I can't tell who is who. It may be realistic but it makes it a chore to keep up.

I didn't have that problem with The Pacific. Maybe cause it was in HD and that helped? I was still SD when BoB first aired. I don't know. In any case, I found The Pacific to be about the best thing I've ever watched on my TV. Seeing all this talk about BoB makes me think I need to find a Blu-Ray copy somewhere and give it a second chance.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2011, 07:08 PM

Production quality was just as good (if not better), but they bit off more than they could chew in my opinion. They would have been better off just sticking with one of the books and going deeper. Probably the biggest mistake was shoe-horning the John Basilone story into it. Continuity and character development is where BoB wins out.

JohnnyMack
7/7/2011, 09:45 PM
I hate America.

FTFY

JohnnyMack
7/7/2011, 09:48 PM
Production quality was just as good (if not better), but they bit off more than they could chew in my opinion. They would have been better off just sticking with one of the books and going deeper. Probably the biggest mistake was shoe-horning the John Basilone story into it. Continuity and character development is where BoB wins out.

I seem to remember the producers talking about wanting to weave together several stories of people who served in the Pacific theater into a miniseries and not making it a linear tale like we got in BoB. Now I don't think they did a very good job of it and I thought the forced meeting between Leckie and Sledge was <Charles Barkley>turrible</Charles Barkley>.

Serenity Now
7/7/2011, 11:04 PM
BoB was a 9. Pacific was a 6. I had to work to finish it. It could relate to me having my expectations higher because of how good BoB was.

Turd_Ferguson
7/17/2011, 01:36 AM
I rented a documentary from NetFlix called Price for Peace. It was an NBC special on Memorial Day, 2002. It was produced by Steven Ambrose and Steven Spielberg and it's subject is The War in the Pacific from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. It also covers some of the veterans who returned to Iwo Jima in 2001.

If you enjoyed "The Pacifc", you will enjoy this documentary.Thanks for the info on this. I got it yesterday and watched it this evening. Would highly recommend.

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2011, 10:53 PM
I just searched for PFP on Netflix streaming. Didn't come up. Was it on DVD?

Turd_Ferguson
7/18/2011, 06:56 AM
I just searched for PFP on Netflix streaming. Didn't come up. Was it on DVD?DVD only.