PDA

View Full Version : Cloning, organ donation, and ethics

Fraggle145
7/6/2011, 04:53 PM
Okay, disregard the jargon and the Scarlett Johansson reference, and get to the meat of the commentary. Is it ethical to basically have a baby to serve as an organ donor for a sick sibling or other family member? Etc..

http://blog.the-scientist.com/2011/07/06/cloning-ethics-and-scarlett-johansson/

Cloning, ethics and Scarlett Johansson
By Richard P. Grant
6 July 2011

How could you resist Scarlett Johansson?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Scarlett_Johansson_in_Kuwait_01b.jpg/240px-Scarlett_Johansson_in_Kuwait_01b.jpg

Let me rephrase that: how could you resist an evaluation featuring Scarlett Johansson?

F1000 Member Stefan Bielack (http://f1000.com/thefaculty/member/2846189125068073) in Stuttgart is reminded of Johansson, or rather the 2005 film The Island (http://www.theisland-themovie.com/), in which she stars alongside Ewan McGregor as a clone grown for body parts.

Stefan has evaluated an article just out in Pediatric Blood and Cancer, Successful bone marrow transplantation in a pediatric patient with chronic myeloid leukemia from a HLA-identical sibling selected by preimplantation HLA testing10.1002/pbc.23007. (http://f1000.com/11735956?key=0vhq3ys1718thxl)A team from Athens treated an 11-year-old boy for chronic myeloid leukemia by transplanting bone marrow from his 19-month-old brother. But this brother is an IVF baby, chosen specifically to match his elder sibling’s HLA type. The mother went through standard IVF, and ten fertilized embryos were cultured and biopsied three days after insemination–at the 8-cell stage. The embryos were genotyped using nested PCR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction) of of HLA-DRB1 alleles. Then,

Two embryos identified to be HLA identical to the patient were transferred 6 days after fertilization to the mother’s uterus and one singleton full-term pregnancy resulted in the birth of one healthy male sibling. –from Goussetis et al., 2011

As Stefan says, this is not the first example of preimplantation genetic diagnostics used to select donors for transplants. And of course, we’re not (quite) at the level of cloning humans. But it does focus attention on the ethics of breeding humans as organ donors. Stefan has a number of questions: is it acceptable to expose putative donors to the extra risks associated with IVF? What psychological consequences arise when a donor learns that his reason for existence as a spare parts depot? Will the designated donor be called upon to sacrifice a part of their body if the recipient requires a solid organ donation?

And finally, how far removed is this from the scenario in The Island (and countless other science fiction stories)?

Tags: cloning, ethics, HLA.

Filed under Editor's Choice, Ethics.

delhalew
7/6/2011, 05:04 PM
I admit that I find the whole thing very distasteful...taken to the extreme. Even without being devout in any particular religion, I would think that skirting the laws of nature, like most well intentioned ideas, would have grave unintended consequences.

NormanPride
7/6/2011, 05:05 PM
A full baby? Like pregnancy and all that? **** no. Just grow that **** in a tube. Get a bunch of stem cells when you're a kid, freeze them, then grow them into new organs when you get older. Personally, I would like a new bran when I get to 50.

Breadburner
7/6/2011, 05:11 PM
A full baby? Like pregnancy and all that? **** no. Just grow that **** in a tube. Get a bunch of stem cells when you're a kid, freeze them, then grow them into new organs when you get older. Personally, I would like a new bran when I get to 50.

I think a new bran would suit you quite well.......:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/6/2011, 05:13 PM
Personally, I would like a new bran when I get to 50.

One that completely unclogs or just selectively?

Bioethics are going to be an interesting set of legal cases over the next 20 years. I think that extending life will be one of the most interesting cases as I think the first longevity breakthroughs will add 20/40 years in one fell swoop. Talk about pension crisis.

yermom
7/6/2011, 05:24 PM
other than basically 8 abortions, i don't have a problem with it

for bone marrow, anyway. obviously, vital organs is another matter

it's kinda weird to do it without consent, but that doesn't bother me all that much

Fraggle145
7/6/2011, 05:27 PM

This is my plan for my kids. That's why they tell you to save the umbilical chords. They are full of pluripotent stem cells (at least last I heard).

yermom
7/6/2011, 05:28 PM
i though it was so you could drink the cord blood and become super human

NormanPride
7/6/2011, 05:32 PM
One that completely unclogs or just selectively?

Bioethics are going to be an interesting set of legal cases over the next 20 years. I think that extending life will be one of the most interesting cases as I think the first longevity breakthroughs will add 20/40 years in one fell swoop. Talk about pension crisis.
Pension would be the LEAST of our worries. Can you imagine what the population would do?

Of course, if you lived for 400 years perhaps space travel would become more viable...

MsProudSooner
7/6/2011, 05:34 PM
There was a novel and movie about this a few years ago. Naturally, the author made it as heart-wrenching as possible. Over several years, the younger child went through multiple painful procedures and finally rebelled against it.

MR2-Sooner86
7/6/2011, 05:55 PM
What about a Scarlett Johansson clone to be my own personal slave?

yermom
7/6/2011, 05:57 PM
There was a novel and movie about this a few years ago. Naturally, the author made it as heart-wrenching as possible. Over several years, the younger child went through multiple painful procedures and finally rebelled against it.

My Sister's Keeper

I Am Right
7/6/2011, 06:36 PM
Sooooo, bottom line, you have a baby so you can have a slave. Geeez

MsProudSooner2
7/6/2011, 06:54 PM
My Sister's Keeper

Yeah. I thought it was very manipulative, but it did make you think of all sides of the issue.