PDA

View Full Version : D&Dean bait.

The
7/6/2011, 02:42 PM
Why Harry Potter Is Making Our Kids Miserable (http://prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archive?month=07&year=2011&base_name=why_harry_potter_is_making_our)

This month's Atlantic contains an article with the provocative title, "How to Land Your Kid In Therapy," (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/how-to-land-your-kid-in-therapy/8555/), making the somewhat less provocative argument that all the helicopter parenting of today is producing kids who can't solve their own problems and will end up unhappy. It's hard to argue with, but I want to point the finger of accusation in another direction: Harry Potter.

Well, not so much him, but much of children's literature. The typical children's book has a few common elements. For instance, the hero is probably an orphan. There's a practical reason for this: Parents represent stability and safety, and our hero needs to go on a dangerous journey, which is rather less dangerous if he or she can just go back to the folks at the end of the day. There's usually some wise elderly figure who gives advice and aid but doesn't really constrain the hero's behavior. But the key element of the story is usually this: At the beginning of the book, he thinks he's just a regular kid. Maybe he's miserable, or maybe he's just bored, but he doesn't think there's anything heroic about him. He might think he's a bit different, though -- maybe he's bookish, or maybe he gets pushed around by bullies at school. But then he learns that he is anything but ordinary. He's the possessor of magical powers, or at the very least, the fate of the world depends on his smarts and his pluck. He discovers this, and off we go to the adventure.

Not only does this make sense as a narrative device that can drive an adventure story, it taps into some very deep emotions. Every kid thinks he or she is different at some point. Every kid wishes he could have power -- the power to move objects with your mind, or travel through time, or whatever. Because when you're a kid, you have no power. You're physically small and weak, and adults are constantly telling you what to do. So it's incredibly compelling to imagine yourself not only as someone to whom exciting things happen but as someone who is more than those around you.

The problem is that then you begin to grow up and realize you're just a lowly muggle.
I'll grant that this is hardly a new theme in children's literature. But is it possible that all of us, weaned on these stories, end up inevitably disappointed with mundane life as it actually exists? It doesn't stop once we grow up, of course -- movies and television are all about people better looking than you leading more interesting lives than you. Nobody on TV watches TV, or goes to the bathroom, or spends hours filling out their taxes. Every job people do on the screen is more interesting than that job actually is in real life, since all the dull stuff has been omitted. You wouldn't want to watch it otherwise. But that particular narrative -- ordinary kid turns out to be extraordinary, saves world -- has a particular ability to make actual life seem like a let-down.

But go ahead and blame your parents -- it's probably their fault, too.

NormanPride
7/6/2011, 02:47 PM
When I grew up in 4000 BC I wanted to be Gilgamesh.

The
7/6/2011, 02:48 PM
When I grew up in 4000 BC I wanted to be Gilgamesh.

http://www.schtroumpf.com/images/meet_us/gargamel.jpg

Jammin'
7/6/2011, 02:55 PM
But is it possible that all of us, weaned on these stories, end up inevitably disappointed with mundane life as it actually exists?

You know what helps with the mundanityness?

Me too.

StoopTroup
7/6/2011, 03:05 PM
Cosmo Spacely held George Jetson back and never believed in any of his ideas. In doing so he also would spend huge company profits fighting with his Competitor Spenser Cogswell. He and Spacely were always finding ways to bring each other's businesses down. The two of them lived high on the Hog while George and many others either got fired or were required to work like slaves 3 hours a day and have to put up with antiquated robots that were designed to frustrate people at Home and teach children to talk back to their parent's as well as plot against them.

After years of this going on....I am unable to fly to work in a Nuclear powered Flying Saucer, Area 51 is off limits and I have to drive fossil fueled transportation and live on the ground instead of a High Rise Luxury Condo that I was born to be in.

My Opinion Matters
7/6/2011, 03:15 PM
Cosmo Spacely held George Jetson back and never believed in any of his ideas. In doing so he also would spend huge company profits fighting with his Competitor Spenser Cogswell. He and Spacely were always finding ways to bring each other's businesses down. The two of them lived high on the Hog while George and many others either got fired or were required to work like slaves 3 hours a day and have to put up with antiquated robots that were designed to frustrate people at Home and teach children to talk back to their parent's as well as plot against them.

After years of this going on....I am unable to fly to work in a Nuclear powered Flying Saucer, Area 51 is off limits and I have to drive fossil fueled transportation and live on the ground instead of a High Rise Luxury Condo that I was born to be in.

What books did you read as a child? You could make a fascinating research subject.

NormanPride
7/6/2011, 03:26 PM
Fail. That was Gargamel. DUH.

My Opinion Matters
7/6/2011, 03:26 PM
OH, SNAP!

SoonerofAlabama
7/6/2011, 03:28 PM
Fail. That was Gargamel. DUH.

What kind of stuff are you into?

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/6392/gilgamesh.jpg

3rdgensooner
7/6/2011, 03:31 PM
The has a crush on Dean.

True story.

The
7/6/2011, 03:32 PM
The has a crush on Dean.

True story.

I'm doing a research project on bears.

Mississippi Sooner
7/6/2011, 03:32 PM
I'm doing a research project on bears.

Yes, they really do **** in the woods.

SoonerofAlabama
7/6/2011, 03:33 PM
Yes, they really do **** in the woods.

But does it make a noise?

3rdgensooner
7/6/2011, 03:33 PM
I'm doing a research project on bears.Allow me to introduce you to Ralph:

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_tv/photo/survivor-22-farmer-ralph-kiserjpg-5e0a972281235888.jpg

GKeeper316
7/6/2011, 03:34 PM

that's gargamel, you idiot!

soonerboomer93
7/6/2011, 03:35 PM
I don't think he means that type of bear

StoopTroup
7/6/2011, 03:35 PM
What books did you read as a child? You could make a fascinating research subject.

Fullback Fury (One of my favorites), Bill Shakespeare Stuff, Murder on the Orient Express, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Stuff, Biographies of Presidents, Famous Sports Stars (Mickey Mantle, Jim Thorpe). I blame Saturday Morning TV and the invention of the color TV on the Jetsons, Johnny Quest, Superman, Batman, Green Hornet and Cato and later shows like Leave it to Beaver, The Ponderosa, I dream of Jeanie, Get Smart, Man from Uncle, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle USMC, Bewitched, Combat, The Dating Game, F-Troop, The Dean martin Show, Carol Burnett, Sonny and Cher, The Flintstones, The Flying Nun, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Green Acres, Gilligan's isle, Mission Impossible, Hawaii 5 O, Hazel, Lucy, Hogan's heroes......on and on.....

SoonerofAlabama
7/6/2011, 03:36 PM
Did someone say Garfunkel? ;)

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6663/simonandgarfunkelgreate.jpg

My Opinion Matters
7/6/2011, 03:45 PM
Fullback Fury (One of my favorites), Bill Shakespeare Stuff, Murder on the Orient Express, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Stuff, Biographies of Presidents, Famous Sports Stars (Mickey Mantle, Jim Thorpe). I blame Saturday Morning TV and the invention of the color TV on the Jetsons, Johnny Quest, Superman, Batman, Green Hornet and Cato and later shows like Leave it to Beaver, The Ponderosa, I dream of Jeanie, Get Smart, Man from Uncle, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle USMC, Bewitched, Combat, The Dating Game, F-Troop, The Dean martin Show, Carol Burnett, Sonny and Cher, The Flintstones, The Flying Nun, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Green Acres, Gilligan's isle, Mission Impossible, Hawaii 5 O, Hazel, Lucy, Hogan's heroes......on and on.....

You know who my favorite movie is? Tom Hanks. That guy is a good movie.

3rdgensooner
7/6/2011, 03:50 PM

My favorite tree is the porcupine.

Boomer.....
7/6/2011, 04:07 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1465/thumbnailaspxq105098498.jpg

tommieharris91
7/6/2011, 04:20 PM
My favorite tree is the porcupine.

My favorite car is the pear. What's your point?

DIB
7/6/2011, 04:24 PM
The is my favorite waffle iron

StoopTroup
7/6/2011, 04:24 PM

Kind of sad but you do make a fascinating research subject by focusing on one particular male actor. Jodie Foster's Stalker John Hinkley was born in Ardmore. Are you from there too?

Mississippi Sooner
7/6/2011, 04:25 PM
Kind of sad but you do make a fascinating research subject by focusing on one particular male actor. Jodie Foster's Stalker John Hinkley was born in Ardmore. Are you from there too?

I heard he was the last baby born in the old Hardy Sanitarium. Hinkley, that is.

Adrian
7/6/2011, 04:36 PM
Why Harry Potter Is Making Our Kids Miserable (http://prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archive?month=07&year=2011&base_name=why_harry_potter_is_making_our)

This month's Atlantic contains an article with the provocative title, "How to Land Your Kid In Therapy," (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/how-to-land-your-kid-in-therapy/8555/), making the somewhat less provocative argument that all the helicopter parenting of today is producing kids who can't solve their own problems and will end up unhappy. It's hard to argue with, but I want to point the finger of accusation in another direction: Harry Potter.

Well, not so much him, but much of children's literature. The typical children's book has a few common elements. For instance, the hero is probably an orphan. There's a practical reason for this: Parents represent stability and safety, and our hero needs to go on a dangerous journey, which is rather less dangerous if he or she can just go back to the folks at the end of the day. There's usually some wise elderly figure who gives advice and aid but doesn't really constrain the hero's behavior. But the key element of the story is usually this: At the beginning of the book, he thinks he's just a regular kid. Maybe he's miserable, or maybe he's just bored, but he doesn't think there's anything heroic about him. He might think he's a bit different, though -- maybe he's bookish, or maybe he gets pushed around by bullies at school. But then he learns that he is anything but ordinary. He's the possessor of magical powers, or at the very least, the fate of the world depends on his smarts and his pluck. He discovers this, and off we go to the adventure.

Not only does this make sense as a narrative device that can drive an adventure story, it taps into some very deep emotions. Every kid thinks he or she is different at some point. Every kid wishes he could have power -- the power to move objects with your mind, or travel through time, or whatever. Because when you're a kid, you have no power. You're physically small and weak, and adults are constantly telling you what to do. So it's incredibly compelling to imagine yourself not only as someone to whom exciting things happen but as someone who is more than those around you.

The problem is that then you begin to grow up and realize you're just a lowly muggle.
I'll grant that this is hardly a new theme in children's literature. But is it possible that all of us, weaned on these stories, end up inevitably disappointed with mundane life as it actually exists? It doesn't stop once we grow up, of course -- movies and television are all about people better looking than you leading more interesting lives than you. Nobody on TV watches TV, or goes to the bathroom, or spends hours filling out their taxes. Every job people do on the screen is more interesting than that job actually is in real life, since all the dull stuff has been omitted. You wouldn't want to watch it otherwise. But that particular narrative -- ordinary kid turns out to be extraordinary, saves world -- has a particular ability to make actual life seem like a let-down.

But go ahead and blame your parents -- it's probably their fault, too.

There's other **** to post about...

JohnnyMack
7/6/2011, 04:40 PM
What an absolutely idiotic article. The only reason this was written was to try and capitalize on the upcoming final HP movie.

Try reading Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

My Opinion Matters
7/6/2011, 04:43 PM
My favorite car is the pear. What's your point?

This game should be sent to the garbage heap and destroyed because it can be beaten totally with the help of luck. It should be erratic aided. Algorhythm can be beaten by just being a random spazz like you. Arrhythmic tic > Arithmetic. And theres no way paper beats rock anyway that's gay. ****ign pro grammar never heard of paperweights? retarded.