PDA

View Full Version : My fridge died, who makes the most reliable fridge?

OutlandTrophy
7/6/2011, 07:16 AM
We're looking at the french door fridges. Does anyone know of the best place to purchase said item and what brand or model is the most reliable?

TIA

jk the sooner fan
7/6/2011, 07:20 AM
i think we have a kenmoore or frigidaire from sears and its lasted us going on 7 years now with nary a problem - and it has the french doors

we like to call them "freedom doors" however

Boomer.....
7/6/2011, 07:23 AM
We were going to get a french door fridge but decided against it because we wanted water/ice in the doors. They do make them with it but that means that the ice is in the fridge part and I read reviews that said it freezes things.

We ended up going with a Whirlpool Gold side by side and it was the top rated on Consumer Reports.

jk the sooner fan
7/6/2011, 07:31 AM
we have water/ice in the freedom doors and dont have that problem

KuppiKunta
7/6/2011, 07:39 AM
Samsung's are rated really high. We just got one a month ago, but still too early to give an opinion on it.

sooner_born_1960
7/6/2011, 07:48 AM
My Samsung refrigerates things just fine.

delhalew
7/6/2011, 07:59 AM
Whirlpool from Sears. French doors. Water/ice in the door of freezer. Keeps things cool.

GDC
7/6/2011, 08:29 AM
We still call them iceboxes.

sappstuf
7/6/2011, 08:38 AM
Go to Sears Outlet, get the best deal you can. I bought a side by side Whirlpool Gold, for about $800 less than in the stores at the time. The only thing wrong with it is the doors didn't quite line up, but the seals still sat properly. It had one dent on the left side at the very bottom. Impossible to see unless you pull the fridge out. Spent $300 on the extended warranty and still came out $500 ahead and had the peace of mind that it was competely covered if something did go wrong.

That was three years ago. Best deal I have ever gotten. I did take several weeks of looking two or three times a week before I found it though.. You might not have that time, but it would still be worth it to go by one if they are close by. You just need to be knowledgeable enough to know the good deal when you see it.

1890MilesToNorman
7/6/2011, 08:39 AM
We don't need'em in Maine.

OutlandTrophy
7/6/2011, 08:43 AM
Go to Sears Outlet, get the best deal you can. I bought a side by side Whirlpool Gold, for about $800 less than in the stores at the time. The only thing wrong with it is the doors didn't quite line up, but the seals still sat properly. It had one dent on the left side at the very bottom. Impossible to see unless you pull the fridge out. Spent $300 on the extended warranty and still came out $500 ahead and had the peace of mind that it was competely covered if something did go wrong.

That was three years ago. Best deal I have ever gotten. I did take several weeks of looking two or three times a week before I found it though.. You might not have that time, but it would still be worth it to go by one if they are close by. You just need to be knowledgeable enough to know the good deal when you see it.

they don't seem to have any stores in OK.

87sooner
7/6/2011, 08:51 AM
i bought this one yesterday...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04671093000P?vName=Appliances&keyword=04668882000p|04651103000p|04671023000p|046 28262000p|04671093000p|04669002000p&resultsLabelText=FeaturedItems

each store only got 2 and they're sold out all over the country....but my wife chatted with a sears customer service person last nite online and they said they will email us when they're available and we get the sale price and also free shipping...

as far as brands go.....some roll off the same production line...
LG makes kenmore

sappstuf
7/6/2011, 08:52 AM

That is too bad. Best of luck.

Mjcpr
7/6/2011, 08:57 AM
If you lived over here I would tell you to go to Hahn Appliance. But you don't.

I have 2 Amana's and they are both at least 15 years old and they are still running like a champ. That said, I'm not even sure they still make them these days. I'd think you couldn't go wrong with a Whirlpool.

Mississippi Sooner
7/6/2011, 09:07 AM
LG makes kenmore

I think a lot of people would be surprised to know just how many appliances are made in the same factories but have different brand names stamped on them.

87sooner
7/6/2011, 09:13 AM
I think a lot of people would be surprised to know just how many appliances are made in the same factories but have different brand names stamped on them.

yeah...there prolly aren't more than a half dozen factories making appliances for a couple dozen brands...

some brands like kenmore actually have multiple suppliers..
whirlpool makes kenmore....and i think LG makes kenmore elite

jumperstop
7/6/2011, 09:16 AM
I'm always a fan of Samsung things, and they seem to get good reviews on refrigerators.

87sooner
7/6/2011, 09:24 AM
I'm always a fan of Samsung things, and they seem to get good reviews on refrigerators.

samsung is the only brand i've heard bad things about from friends...

i've always had kenmore and only had trouble once with a stove...the electronic control board went out...but i think it was due to a lightning strike...

only thing we have non kenmore is a washer/dryer...those are LG....

btw....i NEVER get the extended warranty.....

KuppiKunta
7/6/2011, 09:31 AM
samsung is the only brand i've heard bad things about from friends...

No offense to your friends....but I'll take JD Power's assessment.

http://www.jdpower.com/Homes/ratings/home-appliance-refrigerator-ratings/

Refrigerators
For a sixth consecutive year, Samsung ranks highest in satisfying refrigerator owners. Samsung (803) performs particularly well in three of six factors: ease of use, performance and reliability; and features. Following Samsung in the ranking are LG (781) and Kenmore Elite (776).

Pricetag
7/6/2011, 09:34 AM
I don't know what brand it was, but the one in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls protected Indy from an atom bomb. I don't think you can ask for much more from a fridge.

Mississippi Sooner
7/6/2011, 09:36 AM
I don't know what brand it was, but the one in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls protected Indy from an atom bomb. I don't think you can ask for much more from a fridge.

Must have been made from the same material as that gas pipe that Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt strapped themselves to so the tornado wouldn't suck them up.

2Dogs
7/6/2011, 09:39 AM
We have had the Samsung for over a year now. Water and ice in the door. I would recommend it.
it will freeze bottled water that is close to the ice maker tho.

pphilfran
7/6/2011, 09:58 AM

Not just fridges...Kelly Springfield tire is owned and operated by Goodyear...exact same compounds and tolerances...only difference is the tread designs and name on the sidewall...many other tire brands contract out production to major manufacturers...

SoCaliSooner
7/6/2011, 10:17 AM
i bought this one yesterday...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04671093000P?vName=Appliances&keyword=04668882000p|04651103000p|04671023000p|046 28262000p|04671093000p|04669002000p&resultsLabelText=FeaturedItems

each store only got 2 and they're sold out all over the country....but my wife chatted with a sears customer service person last nite online and they said they will email us when they're available and we get the sale price and also free shipping...

LG makes kenmore

Bought the exact same one just over a year ago. I did my homework of refrigerators for a couple of months before buying it. Samsungs seem to have electrical problems within a couple of years and tend to freeze things close to the ice side, and whirlpool, maytag, lg and kenmore are all made by the same manufacturer.

87sooner
7/6/2011, 10:22 AM
Bought the exact same one just over a year ago. I did my homework of refrigerators for a couple of months before buying it. Samsungs seem to have electrical problems within a couple of years and tend to freeze things close to the ice side, and whirlpool, maytag, lg and kenmore are all made by the same manufacturer.

hmmmmmmmm....it says it's a "new item"...

what did you pay for it?
$1300 off is a heck of a markdown...

OutlandTrophy
7/6/2011, 10:25 AM
oh lawsey, she just called and found one that has an 8" touch screen above the water/ice dispenser. I guess it has wi-fi and will connect to the internet and play a picture slideshow.

I just want a dang fridge, not an iphone that keeps my food cold.

Mjcpr
7/6/2011, 10:27 AM
You'll be getting the one with the pretty pictures.

GDC
7/6/2011, 10:29 AM

There's Sears stores all over the state.

pphilfran
7/6/2011, 10:29 AM

Not the outlet stores...

GDC
7/6/2011, 10:34 AM
oh

SoCaliSooner
7/6/2011, 10:37 AM
hmmmmmmmm....it says it's a "new item"...

what did you pay for it?
$1300 off is a heck of a markdown...

$2500

pphilfran
7/6/2011, 10:42 AM

I was looking for a freezer...still am...and the Sears Outlets stores had some great prices....then when I looked for locations I was bummed...

87sooner
7/6/2011, 10:46 AM
I was looking for a freezer...still am...and the Sears Outlets stores had some great prices....then when I looked for locations I was bummed...

i bought a freezer back in may from lowes...
i think it was about $425 on sale for $360....
they were out of stock in enid so i bought it online from the stillwater store and they delivered it for free (under 75 miles)...
they showed up in a big ole diesel delivery truck when fuel was $3.90/gal....
wonder how much they made on that deal...

sappstuf
7/6/2011, 10:57 AM

We were lucky in that the Outlet was only 10 minutes away from where we were staying until our home was built, so we went up there a lot. The day we walked in the salesman, who knew us quite well at that point, said "Your refrigerator is here". It was delivered two days after we closed on our home. The timing was perfect.

I was planning on buying my front loading washer and dryer as well, but Best Buy ended up having a great sale and we got the stands thrown in for free.

I think I will always look there first when planning on buying a major appliance.