PDA

View Full Version : Nailed it.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty proud of myself, in general.

I've been expanding my culinary skills for about fifteen years. When I was 20, I skipped out on an opportunity to apprentice under a pastry chef.

All these years, I have ignored baking and the art of desserts. This weekend I made my first attempt at a cheese cake. It was PERFECT. Perfect taste, texture, and appearance. Slices are solid, no cracking.

For someone who rarely bakes anything other than biscuits, I am quite impressed with myself.

sooner_born_1960
7/5/2011, 12:44 PM
Congratulations.

DIB
7/5/2011, 12:51 PM
Baking is a big deal. You should be proud.

Mississippi Sooner
7/5/2011, 12:53 PM
I can grill and throw some cajun dishes together and all that, but I don't even attempt to bake. You have to be precise with all your ingredients when baking, and I get lost when I can't just throw in a little of this and a little of that and season as needed.

royalfan5
7/5/2011, 12:56 PM
Baking is the next frontier for me as well, unless I suddenly come into the space for heavy duty smoking equipment soon.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:57 PM
I can grill and throw some cajun dishes together and all that, but I don't even attempt to bake. You have to be precise with all your ingredients when baking, and I get lost when I can't just throw in a little of this and a little of that and season as needed.

There is a lot of **** I could have done wrong from the crust to the damn water bath to not letting it brown. It was worth it.

SoonerofAlabama
7/5/2011, 12:59 PM
I've never really understood how cheesecake is made.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:59 PM
Baking is the next frontier for me as well, unless I suddenly come into the space for heavy duty smoking equipment soon.

The only thing better than the overwhelming challenge, is victory.

Next step will either be Baguettes, or puff pastry.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 01:00 PM
I've never really understood how cheesecake is made.

It's kind of ridiculous.

SoonerofAlabama
7/5/2011, 01:01 PM
How long did it take you?

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2011, 01:03 PM
I have been thinking about attempting the Cheese Cake desert for quite some time. I may have to give it a go. The pastry/desert side doesn't scare me, I'm just not a pastry/desert eater...

sooner_born_1960
7/5/2011, 01:05 PM
Why would anyone make cheesecake when you can buy it already made?

OutlandTrophy
7/5/2011, 01:05 PM
You'll make someone a fine wife one of these days!!

;)

delhalew
7/5/2011, 01:07 PM
Why would anyone make cheesecake when you can buy it already made?

If you have to ask, I can't splain it.

soonerchk
7/5/2011, 01:08 PM
I love to bake, but it's more of a science than an art. Grilling is more art than science.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 01:10 PM
How long did it take you?

4 or 5 hours whilst juggling two small children, and Olympic level beer drinking. Then it has to chill overnight.

Next time will be faster.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 01:12 PM
I love to bake, but it's more of a science than an art. Grilling is more art than science.

That's valid, up to the point were you enter the realm of sculpture and decoration.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 01:14 PM
You'll make someone a fine wife one of these days!!

;)

My daughter will. She always "helps".

SoonerofAlabama
7/5/2011, 01:40 PM
4 or 5 hours whilst juggling two small children, and Olympic level beer drinking. Then it has to chill overnight.

Next time will be faster.

Worth it?

delhalew
7/5/2011, 01:43 PM
Worth it?

Hells yeah.

SoonerofAlabama
7/5/2011, 01:44 PM
Hells yeah.

And how was it?

Fraggle145
7/5/2011, 02:04 PM
That's valid, up to the point were you enter the realm of sculpture and decoration.

Yep. Every time I'm working on my DNA stuff in the lab it really is just like cooking or baking a cake. You've got to but in all of the right ingredients at the right times. Then cook it for a while and *bing* its done.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 02:18 PM
And how was it?

I like it better than Alon's bakery in Atlanta. I would say I am biased, but sometimes would be cracks in the cakes I would pick up for the restaurant.

Not a single solitary crack in mine.

SoonerofAlabama
7/5/2011, 02:20 PM
Probably no pics, right? If it was that good.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 02:33 PM
Probably no pics, right? If it was that good.

Lol. I didn't anticipate it being worth bragging over, but I guess I should have snapped a pic since it looked so perfect.

Thing is, since I had started it the day before, everybody pretty much pounced on it.

I had a slice in my lunch today which brought on the clapping myself on the back.

StoopTroup
7/5/2011, 02:37 PM
Those Jello mixes can be pretty confusing.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 02:39 PM
Those Jello mixes can be pretty confusing.

Are you Stoop, or my wife?

SunnySooner
7/5/2011, 02:46 PM
I love to bake as well, and makin' it look purty is part of the fun. The bad part is now I have something beautiful and delicious staring at me, wanting to join the other extra 10 pounds residing on my backside. So I bake and give away. I'm a REALLY good neighbor. :D

Christmas time is the best. You need a good candy thermometer, and a lot of tins, but making fudge, divinity, spiced nuts, Christmas cookies with that beautiful, bright, glossy frosting...that's a good day at my house.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 02:50 PM
I love to bake as well, and makin' it look purty is part of the fun. The bad part is now I have something beautiful and delicious staring at me, wanting to join the other extra 10 pounds residing on my backside. So I bake and give away. I'm a REALLY good neighbor. :D

Christmas time is the best. You need a good candy thermometer, and a lot of tins, but making fudge, divinity, spiced nuts, Christmas cookies with that beautiful, bright, glossy frosting...that's a good day at my house.

I've eaten so much cheesecake over the last three days, I'm hovering over the line of pleasantly full, and nauseous as hell.

silverwheels
7/5/2011, 03:34 PM
Baking?

qTyotI3IHFQ

(NSFW Language)

delhalew
7/5/2011, 03:44 PM
Baking?

qTyotI3IHFQ

(NSFW Language)

A little less slurring, and only slightly more competence...and that's pretty much what my children saw...more profanity.

silverwheels
7/5/2011, 03:49 PM
:D

WichitaSooner
7/5/2011, 04:05 PM
If you aren't cooking like these guys... you're an amateur...

YYxO3Y-wOrM

delhalew
7/5/2011, 04:11 PM
If you aren't cooking like these guys... you're an amateur...

YYxO3Y-wOrM

Holy ****. Gold.

WichitaSooner
7/5/2011, 04:13 PM
Holy ****. Gold.

You should watch their Fast Food Lasagna episode... it'll make your heart explode just watching it...

SanJoaquinSooner
7/5/2011, 08:04 PM
My most memorable cheesecake encounter was at a pot luck among all the teachers when I taught in Norman. Someone brought a cheesecake, but not just any cheesecake - an authentic New York cheesecake. I don't recaill if that meant it was shipped overnight from New York - but I do recall how everyone raved at this piece of work. What I most vividly recall was the heated argument that ensued in the teachers' lounge whether one should top the cheesecake with something such as strawberries, blueberries, or cherries. There was a point of view that a great cheesecake should be eaten unadulterated - no topping what so ever....and the opposing view that a great cheesecake can be made even better with a contrasting/complementary experience for the palate.

Of course the argument was never settled, but the cheesecake was devoured. One fellow teacher, John, got so upset at the sight of strawberries on the cheesecake, you would think it was Miracle Whip on a hot dog.

A more recent memory was Bobby Flay's Cheesecake Throwdown. Bobby Flay is best known for Southwestern style cooking but he usually does well in the dessert challenges. He won the throwdown against the head dude at Junior's Most Famous Cheesecake of Brooklyn NY.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 08:15 PM
My most memorable cheesecake encounter was at a pot luck among all the teachers when I taught in Norman. Someone brought a cheesecake, but not just any cheesecake - an authentic New York cheesecake. I don't recaill if that meant it was shipped overnight from New York - but I do recall how everyone raved at this piece of work. What I most vividly recall was the heated argument that ensued in the teachers' lounge whether one should top the cheesecake with something such as strawberries, blueberries, or cherries. There was a point of view that a great cheesecake should be eaten unadulterated - no topping what so ever....and the opposing view that a great cheesecake can be made even better with a contrasting/complementary experience for the palate.

Of course the argument was never settled, but the cheesecake was devoured. One fellow teacher, John, got so upset at the sight of strawberries on the cheesecake, you would think it was Miracle Whip on a hot dog.

A more recent memory was Bobby Flay's Cheesecake Throwdown. Bobby Flay is best known for Southwestern style cooking but he usually does well in the dessert challenges. He won the throwdown against the head dude at Junior's Most Famous Cheesecake of Brooklyn NY.

I cut some fresh strawberries, and dressed the plate with them. That way you take or leave them. My kids love fruit, so the berries got devoured.