PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Boots

royalfan5
7/5/2011, 09:17 AM
I'm probably going to buy a new pair here shortly. I'm thinking they will probably be Nocona. However, they might be Justin, or Dan Post.

rekamrettuB
7/5/2011, 09:24 AM
and Bathing Suits.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 09:46 AM
Don't see how you can go wrong with one of those three.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 09:51 AM
My most recent pair.
http://www.petestown.com/images/JUS07010.jpg

rekamrettuB
7/5/2011, 10:10 AM
You going for this look?

http://cdn.evilbeetgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/miley_dress.jpg

I think that look is on the way out so buyer beware.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 10:19 AM
In Oklahoma, that look is going nowhere.

Sooner_Tuf
7/5/2011, 11:52 AM
I'm probably going to buy a new pair here shortly. I'm thinking they will probably be Nocona. However, they might be Justin, or Dan Post.

You want real boots or just something that looks like a boot and is cheap?

Just like everything you have to be careful anymore. Even the good brands are selling chinese crap these days.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money Nocona and Tony Llama still have some decent handmade boots. I haven't seen a decent pair of Justin Boots in decades. Dan Post wasn't a bad boot many years ago but Acme bought them and they have been cheap boots with the Dan Post name for a long long time.

Lucchese Classics are about the boot available for the money. You can spend more on custom boots but it would be hard to end up with something more comfortable.

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2011, 11:56 AM
I wanna nice pair of double stitched to wear with my cacky's...

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:03 PM

Just like everything you have to be careful anymore. Even the good brands are selling chinese crap these days.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money Nocona and Tony Llama still have some decent handmade boots. I haven't seen a decent pair of Justin Boots in decades. Dan Post wasn't a bad boot many years ago but Acme bought them and they have been cheap boots with the Dan Post name for a long long time.

Lucchese Classics are about the boot available for the money. You can spend more on custom boots but it would be hard to end up with something more comfortable.

I like the Lucchese, but there is no need to spend that much. My Justins were hand made in Texas. Quality was good.

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2011, 12:07 PM
I like the Lucchese, but there is no need to spend that much. My Justins were hand made in Texas. Quality was good.Were they made in Justin, TX?

3rdgensooner
7/5/2011, 12:12 PM
As someone who has never owned a pair of cowboy boots, but who has numerous other types of boots, why does one buy them? Is it comfort? Utility?

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:13 PM
Were they made in Justin, TX?

I think so. I know Nocona boots moved from Nocona to Bowie...I think.

royalfan5
7/5/2011, 12:19 PM

I have a pair of black Lucchese square toes now that are my dress shoes. I got a hell of a deal on them at the local Western store. My cousin got a pair of Justin Rancher boots for Christmas and they looked pretty well built.

http://www.sheplers.com/nocona-mens-smooth-ostrich-western-boots-square-toe.html

Those are what I am leaning towards getting at the moment. But I will check out the local Western Store too, as you can luck into some hellacious deals there.

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2011, 12:24 PM
When I was a wee lad, my dad had some cockroach killers that you could gig frog's with...

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:27 PM
When I was a wee lad, my dad had some cockroach killers that you could gig frog's with...

:D Mine too.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 12:30 PM
I have a pair of black Lucchese square toes now that are my dress shoes. I got a hell of a deal on them at the local Western store. My cousin got a pair of Justin Rancher boots for Christmas and they looked pretty well built.

http://www.sheplers.com/nocona-mens-smooth-ostrich-western-boots-square-toe.html

Those are what I am leaning towards getting at the moment. But I will check out the local Western Store too, as you can luck into some hellacious deals there.

That's a good color for ostrich.

Memtig14
7/5/2011, 12:36 PM
I think so. I know Nocona boots moved from Nocona to Bowie...I think.

All my life all we did was drive across the river to buy Nocona boots at the factory. I wasn't sure where they moved.

Nocona to Bowie.....not that big of a move.

TheBobbyTrain
7/5/2011, 02:25 PM

My Justin full quill ostrich boots have lasted me 3+ years and just now need to be re-soled.

As for who asked why? here's why -

they are awesome
they last forever
if you get them dirty you take the hose to them, wipe them down, let them dry - good as new
once they get broken in and form to your foot they are very comfortable
you can get a ton of use and work out of them
you can kick anyone's *** you want to who aren't wearing them
ladies can't resist them

and there you have it

SunnySooner
7/5/2011, 02:51 PM
As someone who has never owned a pair of cowboy boots, but who has numerous other types of boots, why does one buy them? Is it comfort? Utility?

Girl, you won't believe how comfy cowboy boots are. Mine have a pretty good heel, and they are still my most comfortable boot. Plus they are allsome and I feel like the **** when I wear them, and really, there's no price for that. They rule. If I didn't live in Florida, I'd wear them 24/7.

However, I do live in Florida, so I only get a short window, the rest of the time, I'm rotating my 967 pairs of flip flops.

Nope Bao
7/5/2011, 03:35 PM
I like anaconda for comfort and tight fit.

BetterSoonerThanLater
7/5/2011, 03:40 PM
I like anaconda for comfort and tight fit.

thats what she said....

soonerboomer93
7/5/2011, 03:57 PM
thats what he said....

fixed that for ya

Sooner_Tuf
7/5/2011, 04:12 PM

Lucchese boots are really about the best boot you can buy these days. I have a few pairs of Nocona Ostrich (about ten years old) boots that are really comfortable and I like them quite a bit. They are pretty well made and are repairable if you can find a repair guy these days.

I have tons of Justin Ropers. They are cheap and available in just about every color known to man. They have several different qualities of leather available. The tops on the cheaper ones are unbearable to wear to me. They are also built on a shoe last instead of a boot last. They aren't very comfortable on a horse nor are they very durable if you ride much as you will break the sole over backwards. They also don't handle being wet very well. But they are cheap.

Ariat Boots are cheap and they are very comfortable if you can find a pair that you like the style and color you want. They don't last worth a damn if you really work. They have soles more like an athletic shoe which might be good for city people or people that are on pavement all the time. Again if you are on a horse much they won't last.

soonerloyal
7/5/2011, 04:46 PM
Girl, you won't believe how comfy cowboy boots are. Mine have a pretty good heel, and they are still my most comfortable boot. Plus they are allsome and I feel like the **** when I wear them, and really, there's no price for that. They rule. If I didn't live in Florida, I'd wear them 24/7.

However, I do live in Florida, so I only get a short window, the rest of the time, I'm rotating my 967 pairs of flip flops.

http://www.thefunkycowgirl.com/catalog.php?category=3

thecynic
7/5/2011, 05:15 PM
You should look at Anderson Bean/Rios of Mercedes boots. high quality. I have two pair of smooth out ostrich that are the most comfortable shoes I have.

StoopTroup
7/5/2011, 05:29 PM
Cowboy boots are great for when you are out riding a horse.

3rdgensooner
7/5/2011, 06:27 PM
Girl, you won't believe how comfy cowboy boots are. Mine have a pretty good heel, and they are still my most comfortable boot. Plus they are allsome and I feel like the **** when I wear them, and really, there's no price for that. They rule. I feel that way about most of the boots I own. And I like the higher heel. So I'm covered on the "allsomeness".

texaspokieokie
7/5/2011, 10:04 PM
as near as i can tell, Nocona & Justin re-merged back in the 80s or 90s.

they were started by the same family.

all their boots are made in Cashville MO or El Paso.

i had a pair of Tony Lama smooth ostrich that were great, no break-in & very tuff. Wouldn't scuff.

I have a pair of Tony Lama full quill ostrich that have really worn well. Got to be going on 25 yrs. Cost about $400 back in mid 80s.

Was a plant in Nocona that manufactured sports equipment. Spelled Nokona. Burned down in 2006, & at least for a while they used the old boot factory building.

Memtig14
7/5/2011, 11:02 PM
as near as i can tell, Nocona & Justin re-merged back in the 80s or 90s.

they were started by the same family.

i had a pair of Tony Lama smooth ostrich that were great, no break-in & very tuff. Wouldn't scuff.

I have a pair of Tony Lama full quill ostrich that have really worn well. Got to be going on 25 yrs. Cost about $400 back in mid 80s.

Was a plant in Nocona that manufactured sports equipment. Spelled Nokona. Burned down in 2006, & at least for a while they used the old boot factory building.

The plant in Nocona made boots years ago. I used to buy my boots there as factory seconds....for 10 cents on the dollar. I still have 4 pairs that I bought in about '87.

SicEmBaylor
7/5/2011, 11:06 PM
I bought a pair a few years ago. I wear them every so often, but if there was ever a guy that was all hat and no cattle.

StoopTroup
7/5/2011, 11:32 PM
http://images.countryoutfitter.com/images/photos/51366/51366_16078-oklahoma-sooners-square-toe-boots-mens_large.jpg?1301072805

Breadburner
7/5/2011, 11:33 PM
Anyone wanna see my Black Mamba.....?

Memtig14
7/6/2011, 12:31 AM
http://images.countryoutfitter.com/images/photos/51366/51366_16078-oklahoma-sooners-square-toe-boots-mens_large.jpg?1301072805

showoff!

:D

I can't believe I don't have a pair of OU boots.

SoCal
7/6/2011, 08:28 AM
Twisted X are good boots.

http://www.twistedxboots.com/class/Buckaroo-1.htm

royalfan5
7/6/2011, 08:37 AM
Lucchese boots are really about the best boot you can buy these days. I have a few pairs of Nocona Ostrich (about ten years old) boots that are really comfortable and I like them quite a bit. They are pretty well made and are repairable if you can find a repair guy these days.

I have tons of Justin Ropers. They are cheap and available in just about every color known to man. They have several different qualities of leather available. The tops on the cheaper ones are unbearable to wear to me. They are also built on a shoe last instead of a boot last. They aren't very comfortable on a horse nor are they very durable if you ride much as you will break the sole over backwards. They also don't handle being wet very well. But they are cheap.

Ariat Boots are cheap and they are very comfortable if you can find a pair that you like the style and color you want. They don't last worth a damn if you really work. They have soles more like an athletic shoe which might be good for city people or people that are on pavement all the time. Again if you are on a horse much they won't last.

I have Ropers too. I generally use them for cattle work, although I can plant and cut better in my old Acme's that I have for work too.

GDC
7/6/2011, 08:40 AM
I have had a pair of Noconas since high school. Good boots.

diverdog
7/6/2011, 09:59 AM
Anyone ever buy boots in the 80s from (I believe) Larry Mahan? I had a pair made from elk skin that were wonderful.

texaspokieokie
7/6/2011, 07:17 PM
The plant in Nocona made boots years ago. I used to buy my boots there as factory seconds....for 10 cents on the dollar. I still have 4 pairs that I bought in about '87.

Nocona boots originated in Nocona.

by the daughter of the guy (Justin) that started Justin boots.

CowboyMRW
7/6/2011, 09:43 PM
Make sure and go with double stitched square toes. They are the best looking and can match up in slacks or jeans pretty well

StoopTroup
7/6/2011, 10:45 PM
Make sure and go with double stitched square toes. They are the best looking and can match up in slacks or jeans pretty well

http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/5/5/1557741-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

FIFY

CowboyMRW
7/6/2011, 11:00 PM
FIFY

Not bad except they're round toes. Gotta get square. Other than that them's some amazing boots :D

Sooner_Tuf
7/7/2011, 02:45 PM
Anyone ever buy boots in the 80s from (I believe) Larry Mahan? I had a pair made from elk skin that were wonderful.

I still have a pair of Larry Mahan patchwork boots from the 70's. They were a gift and I never wore them as I couldn't really get used to the patchwork style. Might be the most comfortable boots I have ever slid onto my feet though.

SoCaliSooner
7/7/2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.marylandfire.com/miva/graphics/00000001/PRO%203005-7big.jpg

I enjoy my Warrington Pro's... They are great for long days fighting fire or a jog out to the street at night for a curb stomp.

SoonerBK
7/7/2011, 03:04 PM
FYI...Cowboys just call them boots.

royalfan5
7/7/2011, 03:23 PM
FYI...Cowboys just call them boots.

Well, I'm a stockman, not a cowboy.

SunnySooner
7/7/2011, 04:17 PM
Hubby has 3 pairs of elephant skin boots from back in the day. He has black, brown and gray. I guess those things are at least 25 years old, maybe a couple more, and I mean it when I say they look brand new. I can't count the number of soles they've had. He's worn the hell out of all of them, they should be completely trashed, but just a little polish, a little buffing and they look like they just came out of the box. You could walk thru a nuclear reactor meltdown in those things, I'm certain, and they would be fine. Crazy.

I know, I know, we shouldn't have been offin' the elephants just to make boots, but wow, do they ever last.

texaspokieokie
7/7/2011, 04:49 PM
maybe the elephants died of old age.

65Mustang
7/7/2011, 07:15 PM
Hubby has 3 pairs of elephant skin boots from back in the day. He has black, brown and gray. I guess those things are at least 25 years old, maybe a couple more, and I mean it when I say they look brand new. I can't count the number of soles they've had. He's worn the hell out of all of them, they should be completely trashed, but just a little polish, a little buffing and they look like they just came out of the box. You could walk thru a nuclear reactor meltdown in those things, I'm certain, and they would be fine. Crazy.

I know, I know, we shouldn't have been offin' the elephants just to make boots, but wow, do they ever last.

Yup...
I have a red pair and a brown pair. They wear like iron, easy to clean, and extremely comfy.
Best money I have ever spent, and they were several hundred in the 80's.

swardboy
7/8/2011, 05:49 AM

That's "Cassville"...and as a former Wildcat I'm offended :D

tbl
7/8/2011, 09:28 AM
Justin Remuda are awesome boots. Here's my pair of smooth side ostrich:
http://www.sheplers.com/i/p/066/066620/066620_89_p1_550x550.jpg

If you want a super high quality, Rob Patrick are top of the line. Here are my full quills:
http://www.pfiwestern.com/images/products/400/8602%20BRANDY.jpg

royalfan5
8/7/2011, 07:45 PM
So I'm getting close to figuring out what boots I am going to get. However, I recently came across Tin Haul boots. I get the impression that they are an Oklahoma based company, and I also get the impression that they are trying to be the Affliction of Western Companies. Am I on target here?

87sooner
8/7/2011, 08:01 PM

i don't wear "cowboy" boots.....but i do wear pull on work boots...
used to only buy redwing....
talk about a boot going to crap because of the chinese...
and they still price it like it is quality made in america...

Sooner_Tuf
8/7/2011, 08:54 PM
i don't wear "cowboy" boots.....but i do wear pull on work boots...
used to only buy redwing....
talk about a boot going to crap because of the chinese...
and they still price it like it is quality made in america...

Yep anything Red Wing makes that says Worx on it is crap. They still have the good ones but they are very hard to find and are getting pricey. We have a store up here that has stocked the good ones. It recently sold and the new owner has told me he continues to but the changes he has made so far don't make me confident that will be the case.

I can get you the model number of the real made in America pull on boot. They are well over $200 now. Danner's cheapest handsewns are $330 now.

Down in the City there is a store that carries White Boots. That's probably the best work boot I have ever seen. I haven't ever owned a pair and I haven't even drooled over a pair for a few years. Last time I looked at them they were $400-$500 a pair for a basic heavy work boot.

Sooner_Tuf
8/7/2011, 09:05 PM
So I'm getting close to figuring out what boots I am going to get. However, I recently came across Tin Haul boots. I get the impression that they are an Oklahoma based company, and I also get the impression that they are trying to be the Affliction of Western Companies. Am I on target here?

I don't know where they are out of. The ones I have seen are just another massed produced poly soled boot. They look about like a middle of the road pair of Ariats with a picture on the boot and wild designs on the tops. They make some I haven't seen but for $300 you can get a real pair of boots.

Even the Justin Boots pictured above are a better boot from what I have seen and Justin has never made a high end durable truly rebuildable boot. But they aren't priced that way either.

In that type of boot Nocona or Tony Lama still has some pretty good boots for the money. There are probably others but there aren't as many good boots on the market as there used to be. You have to be careful and look them over. Even some of the better brands are selling crap with celebrity endorsement for the same money as their top of the line hand sewn, nailed boots.

You might not be able to tell the difference at first but down the road you sure will. A good pair will last a long time as long as you sorta take care of them. Crappy boots fall apart no matter how you take care of them and if you get them really wet that is pretty much the end of them.

87sooner
8/7/2011, 09:06 PM
Yep anything Red Wing makes that says Worx on it is crap. They still have the good ones but they are very hard to find and are getting pricey. We have a store up here that has stocked the good ones. It recently sold and the new owner has told me he continues to but the changes he has made so far don't make me confident that will be the case.

I can get you the model number of the real made in America pull on boot. They are well over $200 now. Danner's cheapest handsewns are $330 now.

Down in the City there is a store that carries White Boots. That's probably the best work boot I have ever seen. I haven't ever owned a pair and I haven't even drooled over a pair for a few years. Last time I looked at them they were $400-$500 a pair for a basic heavy work boot.

wow...them's some pricey boots...

i think i used to pay around $125 for the good redwing's at simpson's in enid....they closed a few years ago..
now the only place to get them around here is atwoods...and they're junk..
i didn't realize they had "good" ones...
been buying caterpiller and other brands and they just fall apart...and i really don't work them that hard anymore...i don't have cattle..
when i had cattle i put alot of miles on my boots...and the good redwings were tuff..

BudSooner
8/7/2011, 10:24 PM
Had a pair of Red Wing boots(waterproof, worked pretty well)for climbing utility poles, after the first year they just flat gave up..I still have 'em for if I need to wear something when it gets muddy as hell then throw em outside.
Can't go wrong with Georgia boots, tough as nails but the waterproofing sucks balls but that can be solved with some 3M waterproofing spray uses liberally.

My current pair of Tony Lamas have given up in their first 9months, I wear the living hell out of them and will be getting a pair of Georgia's very soon.

One thing I don't care, and forgot to mention was use those insole liners and get good ones not the cheap brands.

soonerprices
8/7/2011, 10:31 PM
http://a60.g.akamai.net/f/60/7267/1d/sheplers.download.akamai.com/7267/i/p/036/036a85/036a85_22_v1_180x180.jpg

StoopTroup
8/7/2011, 10:48 PM
Justin Remuda are awesome boots. Here's my pair of smooth side ostrich:
http://www.sheplers.com/i/p/066/066620/066620_89_p1_550x550.jpg

If you want a super high quality, Rob Patrick are top of the line. Here are my full quills:
http://www.pfiwestern.com/images/products/400/8602%20BRANDY.jpg

Those look nice enough to have secs in.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/8/2011, 08:52 AM
Had a pair of Red Wing boots(waterproof, worked pretty well)for climbing utility poles, after the first year they just flat gave up..I still have 'em for if I need to wear something when it gets muddy as hell then throw em outside.
Can't go wrong with Georgia boots, tough as nails but the waterproofing sucks balls but that can be solved with some 3M waterproofing spray uses liberally.

My current pair of Tony Lamas have given up in their first 9months, I wear the living hell out of them and will be getting a pair of Georgia's very soon.

One thing I don't care, and forgot to mention was use those insole liners and get good ones not the cheap brands.

Been there, Bud, and I feel your pain. Red Wings and Wolverines both, and neither held up. I'd personally recommend Danner or Wesco. Wescos are amazing.

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 10:22 AM
If you can wear your boots until you are duct taping them up, they aren't that comfortable.

sooneron
8/8/2011, 10:35 AM
I like my Lamas. I had 2 prs of Dan Posts from the early nineties that did not hold up very at all. I don't wear the Lamas that much - not a huge need in the NYC area.

royalfan5
8/22/2011, 08:07 AM
http://www.fortwestern.com/store/cowboy-boots/422546/

This what I ended up buying. The color of blue matches the color that my family uses to mark our cattle equipment and such.

Veritas
8/22/2011, 08:57 AM
http://www.fortwestern.com/store/cowboy-boots/422546/

This what I ended up buying. The color of blue matches the color that my family uses to mark our cattle equipment and such.
That stitching pattern looks suspiciously like what was on the hood of the Bandit's Trans-Am.