PDA

View Full Version : Want a beer with that combo meal?

delhalew
7/5/2011, 08:53 AM
Despite Sonic being an Oklahoma based company, we will never see this here.

http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1349244&srvc=business&position=4

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7f6SS5bQUjE/S5VEgl2OMqI/AAAAAAAAAhE/iYjLHxdZZS8/s1600/BURGER%2BKING%2BBEER.jpg
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/bk-whooper-bar-beer.jpg

mgsooner
7/5/2011, 09:23 AM
I'd have to be pretty hammered to eat Burger King (or Sonic), so this is perfect.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 09:53 AM
The dregs of food, meets the dregs of beer.:D

Full disclosure: I actually like Sonic.

sappstuf
7/5/2011, 09:55 AM
What's up with the Filipino beer?

delhalew
7/5/2011, 10:02 AM

Beats me.

mgsooner
7/5/2011, 10:09 AM
It seems like the last time I did eat Sonic it was somewhat better. It had gotten to the point of being disgusting.

rekamrettuB
7/5/2011, 10:11 AM
Cherry Limeaid w/ tequila is really good.

jumperstop
7/5/2011, 10:11 AM
They do this at a lot of the fast food places in Europe, just another way to make money. My friend said he used to get beer at the Taco Mayo in weatherford all the time.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 10:21 AM
I think the trouble would come if you sold beer to go...particularly at a drive-in.:D

soonerchk
7/5/2011, 10:42 AM
I think the trouble would come if you sold beer to go...particularly at a drive-in.:D

Yeah, I'm not seeing this being a great idea. Lawyer types, what kind of liability would be involved?

badger
7/5/2011, 11:01 AM
Idea: have the beer taps right next to the soda taps so that there are free beer refills

:D that would bankrupt the program pretty fast, but I bet it would be popular!

SoonerHoops
7/5/2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing this being a great idea. Lawyer types, what kind of liability would be involved?

I don't have to answer your questions.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 11:09 AM
Anybody old enough to remember "liquor by the drink"? Genius!

It wasn't that long ago that you could get a drink thru the drive-thru window in Louisiana.

I think the idea was, if you are more sober than the officer that pulls you over, you're good.

soonerchk
7/5/2011, 11:11 AM

It wasn't that long ago that you could get a drink thru the drive-thru window in Louisiana.

I think the idea was, if you are more sober than the officer that pulls you over, you're good.

I remember party barns in Texas where you could just drive in, get your booze loaded and be on your way

delhalew
7/5/2011, 11:14 AM
I remember party barns in Texas where you could just drive in, get your booze loaded and be on your way

Not quite the same as someone handing you a whisky, and sending you down the road.:D

soonerchk
7/5/2011, 11:15 AM
Not quite the same as someone handing you a whisky, and sending you down the road.:D

I think you could get daiquiris, but I honestly can't remember. Wonder why?

sooner_born_1960
7/5/2011, 11:27 AM
It's just a restaurant. I see no problem with them serving beer.

jumperstop
7/5/2011, 11:28 AM

They have one of those in stillwater

delhalew
7/5/2011, 11:31 AM

It's not uncommon.

I'm fascinated by the way liquor laws have changed.

Mississippi Sooner
7/5/2011, 11:34 AM
Way back in the day I worked at the Pizza Hut in Ardmore. This was back when they actually made the pizza dough in the store instead of however they do it now. So, I'd have to go in around 7 every morning and get the dough started. I'd be there by myself until around 10 when one of the girls would come in to set up the salad bar. While waiting for the dough to rise, there really wasn't much to do, but there was always beer on tap. I worked through a lot of lunch rushes with a pretty good buzz.

sappstuf
7/5/2011, 11:34 AM

Do they offer beer and sheep in the same barn?

delhalew
7/5/2011, 11:41 AM
Way back in the day I worked at the Pizza Hut in Ardmore. This was back when they actually made the pizza dough in the store instead of however they do it now. So, I'd have to go in around 7 every morning and get the dough started. I'd be there by myself until around 10 when one of the girls would come in to set up the salad bar. While waiting for the dough to rise, there really wasn't much to do, but there was always beer on tap. I worked through a lot of lunch rushes with a pretty good buzz.

I worked at string of pizza places, including Pizza Slut. I always stayed pretty lubricated...even when delivering;)

Lawton4Life
7/5/2011, 12:39 PM

This is my favorite story of the day! That had to be pretty sweet.

Fraggle145
7/5/2011, 02:05 PM

You can still do this.

Fraggle145
7/5/2011, 02:07 PM

I think you can still get drive through daiquiris. So long as the paper is still on the top of the straw it doesnt count as an open container.

rekamrettuB
7/5/2011, 03:03 PM

You can do that in Oklahoma now too...no liquor tho. Have to be inside the store.

DIB
7/5/2011, 03:06 PM
Despite Sonic being an Oklahoma based company, we will never see this here.

http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1349244&srvc=business&position=4

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7f6SS5bQUjE/S5VEgl2OMqI/AAAAAAAAAhE/iYjLHxdZZS8/s1600/BURGER%2BKING%2BBEER.jpg
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/bk-whooper-bar-beer.jpg

How is this different than Taco Cabana serving beer?

sooner_born_1960
7/5/2011, 03:08 PM
Or any other restaurant. It's not.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 03:10 PM
Read the article. Sonic is doing it as well. I've never heard of a drive-in serving beer.

DIB
7/5/2011, 03:15 PM
Read the article. Sonic is doing it as well. I've never heard of a drive-in serving beer.

I did read the article. I just don't see an appreciable difference between a drive-in selling beer and a drive-thru selling beer.

rekamrettuB
7/5/2011, 03:24 PM
I did read the article. I just don't see an appreciable difference between a drive-in selling beer and a drive-thru selling beer.

I'm guessing here but one is you opening/pouring the drink and the other is them opening/pouring the drink. There's no difference between getting out of your car and going inside to get unopened booze or them handing the same to you thru your window.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 03:26 PM
Your saying Cabana let's you take it to go? That is different.

jumperstop
7/5/2011, 03:53 PM
I worked at string of pizza places, including Pizza Slut. I always stayed pretty lubricated...even when delivering;)

I used to work at Pizza Hut. My favorite part was the Boulevard Wheat on tap. Always had two or three while closing. Put it in a to go cup and the bosses never knew. And then you could also take one home with you too.:D

Nope Bao
7/5/2011, 04:05 PM

We not just taxi boy anymore.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 04:06 PM
I used to work at Pizza Hut. My favorite part was the Boulevard Wheat on tap. Always had two or three while closing. Put it in a to go cup and the bosses never knew. And then you could also take one home with you too.:D

Wow. The Pizza Slut I worked at only had Bud. I worked at some great indie shops that had great beer, though.

picasso
7/5/2011, 04:53 PM
Cherry Limeaid w/ tequila is really good.

Hell, Budweiser with a cherry limeaid is probably frickin' good.

Sooner_Tuf
7/5/2011, 07:10 PM
I'd like that beer super-sized please.

goingoneight
7/5/2011, 08:31 PM
I always ordered my slushes not quite completely full. :D

That said, it'll be interesting to see how many dick cops hang out at Sonic and BK waiting to catch a forgetful person who keeps the open container in their car?

dynersooner
7/6/2011, 09:39 AM
Doesnt every BK and McD's in Europe sell beer, already?

'Merikkka is so cutting edge.

and yes, you can get a margirita in the drive-thru, in Tejas, but it has to had a lid on it, and they cant put the straw in it.

GDC
7/6/2011, 11:22 AM
They served beer at Casa Bonita.

soonerchk
7/6/2011, 11:44 AM
How is this different than Taco Cabana serving beer?

Or any other restaurant. It's not.

Because you can't go inside Sonic and sit down and eat. It's a drive in, not a restaurant.

sooner_born_1960
7/6/2011, 12:17 PM
Because you can't go inside Sonic and sit down and eat. It's a drive in, not a restaurant.

You did read this part, right?

The Oklahoma-based chain said its two South Florida eateries that will offer alcohol are Sonic Beach locations with cushioned patio seating and TVs. “We hope customers will choose to spend an extended period of time with their families and friends at Sonic Beach,” a spokeswoman said. “There is no intent to extend beer and wine availability to other Sonic Drive-Ins.”

soonerchk
7/6/2011, 12:20 PM
You did read this part, right?

Well no, it was long and I got bored.

sooner_born_1960
7/6/2011, 12:20 PM
Well, there you go.

sappstuf
7/6/2011, 12:21 PM
Well no, it was long and I got drunk.

FIFY

;)

SteelClip49
7/6/2011, 01:04 PM
BEERGER KING!!!

The
7/6/2011, 01:09 PM
BEERGER KING!!!

That's just terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

dynersooner
7/6/2011, 01:34 PM
That's just terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

but its wasnt bad...

The
7/6/2011, 01:36 PM
but its wasnt bad...

Kimchi.

the-rover
7/6/2011, 02:00 PM
If sonic started serving margaritas, they gain my business.

The
7/6/2011, 02:04 PM
If sonic started serving margaritas, they gain my business.

How you doin?

the-rover
7/6/2011, 03:20 PM
How you doin?

How am I doin who?