PDA

View Full Version : Citizen USA

A Sooner in Texas
7/4/2011, 04:23 PM
Great little documentary by Alexandra Pelosi (yes, Nancy's daughter) that goes across the nation filming naturalization ceremonies and talks to new citizens about why they want to be Americans. It's on CNN right now but will be on HBO at 8 p.m. central tonight.

Hearing the new Americans' comments on why they want to be here is enlightening and heartwarming. If you have no fireworks where you are tonight (thanks, drought), you might enjoy celebrating your country by watching this.

lexsooner
7/5/2011, 07:04 AM
I saw portions of it. It was really touching. What you find is legal immigrants hold on to their native cultures but at the same time love this country enough to go through the lengthy legal immigration process. The two guys from Afghanistan working the food truck were the funniest. When asked what he loved about America, one said the women. He said you could display public affection in this country, unlike the old country, where "they would kick your a**!" That was hilarious. Also funny was the ceremony in Montana, where this big American woman did this performance with red and blue paper plates and they made the new citizens join in with their own paper plates.

I went to a swearing in ceremony a few years ago in federal court and afterwards the new citizens were all deliriously happy. What was missing, unfortunately, were American citizens there to congratulate and welcome the new citizens. There were no organizations passing out little U.S. flags or just there to wish the new citizens well.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 07:33 AM
I can respect naturalized citizens more than born Americans in some cases. They are usually more educated about our history, and appreciate what this country offers.

MsProudSooner
7/5/2011, 07:33 AM
I saw portions of it. It was really touching. What you find is legal immigrants hold on to their native cultures but at the same time love this country enough to go through the lengthy legal immigration process. The two guys from Afghanistan working the food truck were the funniest. When asked what he loved about America, one said the women. He said you could display public affection in this country, unlike the old country, where "they would kick your a**!" That was hilarious. Also funny was the ceremony in Montana, where this big American woman did this performance with red and blue paper plates and they made the new citizens join in with their own paper plates.

I went to a swearing in ceremony a few years ago in federal court and afterwards the new citizens were all deliriously happy. What was missing, unfortunately, were American citizens there to congratulate and welcome the new citizens. There were no organizations passing out little U.S. flags or just there to wish the new citizens well.

My son-in-law became a citizen a few months ago. When they notified him he had passed the test, they said there was a ceremony that afternoon he could participate in or he could wait a few weeks. He chose that afternoon so I missed it. I would have liked to see it.

Sounds like a good documentary. According to the Cox Guide, it will be replayed tomorrow morning at 6 AM if anyone would like to tape it..

lexsooner
7/5/2011, 09:24 AM
I thought the most memorable part I saw was the interview with the new citizen from Portugal. He grew up poor in the old country and he said what he could never understand was how Americans complained so much about everything. The point is life is awfully good in this country, so we really don't have much to complain about, especially compared to life in other countries. How true.

I'm surprised there aren't more groups besides the D.A.R. who welcome the new citizens. It's such a happy, uplifting event that I am sure many folks would enjoy it.

delhalew
7/5/2011, 09:57 AM
It's shocking to me that it comes down to politics, but I don't blame anyone for being disappointed in the way we have turned away from our founding principles. I consider it my duty to complain about that.

MsProudSooner
7/5/2011, 12:14 PM
I thought the most memorable part I saw was the interview with the new citizen from Portugal. He grew up poor in the old country and he said what he could never understand was how Americans complained so much about everything. The point is life is awfully good in this country, so we really don't have much to complain about, especially compared to life in other countries. How true.

I'm surprised there aren't more groups besides the D.A.R. who welcome the new citizens. It's such a happy, uplifting event that I am sure many folks would enjoy it.

I don't think the complaining is ever going to change. And for most people, the fact that they complain doesn't mean they don't appreciate the great things about this country.

I think one big reason we complain is that we know we can complain. And we feel that if enough people complain loud enough and long enough, we have a chance to bring about change - such as the Viet Nam war.

lexsooner
7/5/2011, 12:29 PM
I don't think the complaining is ever going to change. And for most people, the fact that they complain doesn't mean they don't appreciate the great things about this country.

I think one big reason we complain is that we know we can complain. And we feel that if enough people complain loud enough and long enough, we have a chance to bring about change - such as the Viet Nam war.

I think the guy from Portugal meant complaining about annoyances. I'm sure he is thrilled to be in a country in which you can speak out boldly about important social or political issues.

soonerscuba
7/5/2011, 12:33 PM
It's shocking to me that it comes down to politics, but I don't blame anyone for being disappointed in the way we have turned away from our founding principles. I consider it my duty to complain about that.And what principles might those be and to whom? I always hear this chatter but it's never backed up with specifics.

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2011, 12:37 PM
And what principles might those be and to whom? I always hear this chatter but it's never backed up with specifics.Post reported....Baiting.

Sooner_Tuf
7/5/2011, 07:22 PM
My son-in-law became a citizen a few months ago. When they notified him he had passed the test, they said there was a ceremony that afternoon he could participate in or he could wait a few weeks. He chose that afternoon so I missed it. I would have liked to see it.

Sounds like a good documentary. According to the Cox Guide, it will be replayed tomorrow morning at 6 AM if anyone would like to tape it..

Where is your son-in-law from?

MsProudSooner
7/6/2011, 09:23 AM
Where is your son-in-law from?

South Africa. He came to the US on a tennis scholarship and has been here ever since.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/6/2011, 06:33 PM
If you check the date in the lower right hand corner of mi esposa's Certificate of Naturalization, you'll note the date she pledged to "...support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/mariaUS.jpg

She became a citizen in downtown Sacramento in a large ceremony of several hundred.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/mariacitizen.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/mariacitizen2.jpg

MsProudSooner2
7/6/2011, 06:50 PM
I watched it today. I enjoyed it. It's nice to see so many happy people together in one place. I did notice that Texas was the only location where the music had to do with the state rather than the USA. :rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
7/7/2011, 10:14 AM
I am surprised she wasn't praising illegals?

On the other hand, it gives one happy thoughts to see people who want to be here and help make America, rather than just come here and work and send the money elsewhere.

My Brazilian (now American) friend just got her citizenship and had 1 week to get her new passport before we left for a business trip to Hong Kong. It was nice to see a brand new minted passport. BTW, she hates illegals and counts her sister as one. They don't speak often.

In my opinion, the current political climate demeans all those that have done the right thing and chosen to become American citizens.

SoCaliSooner
7/7/2011, 10:19 AM
Amnesty for everybody!!!!!!!!!

Aldebaran
7/7/2011, 10:25 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-iOwbLyGZfA/R6TmNt_R7GI/AAAAAAAAAKk/nEe8avjWQp0/s320/no-amnesty-pilgrims_sm.jpg

sooneron
7/7/2011, 10:39 AM
I think the doc was kind of bittersweet. There were definitely the great moments, but some people reflected what is wrong these days - they were all about buying **** and being able to buy ****. All about "worldly" possessions.

That plate lady was ridiculous. Kind of underhanded how texas segment was all about guns. Typical tho, that their song would be a texas song and not GBA or America The Beautiful...