PDA

View Full Version : OSU Hit By Decommitments

mikee likee
7/4/2011, 01:21 PM
Not bashing Osu, well a little,but is this common for other schools?

http://newsok.com/osu-hit-by-rash-of-decommitments-mike-gundy-calls-it-most-discouraging-part-of-job/article/3582667?custom_click=masthead_topten

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/4/2011, 01:40 PM
I think these kids were using osu for leverage to get other schools to take notice. At least thats my opinion anyway....

The kids were never interested in puke state

silverwheels
7/4/2011, 01:43 PM
It happens to everyone.

northspeter
7/4/2011, 02:11 PM
so a rash = 2 ....?

Sooner_Tuf
7/4/2011, 02:53 PM
They have had at least 3 of their 4 stars leave in the last sixty days or so. They were probably recruiting over their head a bit but to one extant or another this happens to everyone.

A certain amount of it can also be credited to the fact Sherman is recruiting better at aTm. Their natural recruiting area is one that OSU has been pulling recruits out of the last several years. Sherman is taking them back it seems.

northspeter
7/4/2011, 03:03 PM
the article mentions santos and addison... who's the other???

wright8750
7/4/2011, 03:53 PM
I see where Barry has started his own line of fine wine out of California and is starting to offer it in some of the restaurants here in the Southwest. I'm not that big a wine drinker but I might try some. Wouldn't mind having a bottle just for a collection. Wonder if he signs any of the bottles. I have is autograph on my motorcycle. I would need a bottle of red wine to go with it.........It would beat that "Billy Beer" crap some president's brother put out years ago.........lol

jumperstop
7/4/2011, 05:53 PM
I see where Barry has started his own line of fine wine out of California and is starting to offer it in some of the restaurants here in the Southwest. I'm not that big a wine drinker but I might try some. Wouldn't mind having a bottle just for a collection. Wonder if he signs any of the bottles. I have is autograph on my motorcycle. I would need a bottle of red wine to go with it.........It would beat that "Billy Beer" crap some president's brother put out years ago.........lol

What does this have to do with anything in this thread?

jumperstop
7/4/2011, 05:56 PM
Must be spam.....

Ruf/Nek7
7/4/2011, 05:57 PM
Alot of talk saying their top recruit thus far, Kendall Sanders, is looking to decommit and look elsewhere.

SoonerMom2
7/4/2011, 06:07 PM
Just saw this on the Oklahoman when I was looking at the weather. If was a college age football player, would I want to live in Stillwater which is far from anything and play for them since their offensive guru went to WV? Not on your life. What's their ranking now for recruiting! Excuse me while I burst out laughing as this is probably the reason they are NOW building their indoor facility but that still doesn't make up for the fact that Stillwater is miles from anywhere you might want to go. No amount of money can change the fact this is still Stillwater, OK, in the boondocks!

CowboyMRW
7/4/2011, 06:43 PM
Santos, Addison, Kenneth Marshall are the 3 off the top of my head.

Sanders is going to stay true to OSU I believe. I've read that he was an OSU fan from when he was younger.

CowboyMRW
7/4/2011, 06:44 PM
Just saw this on the Oklahoman when I was looking at the weather. If was a college age football player, would I want to live in Stillwater which is far from anything and play for them since their offensive guru went to WV? Not on your life. What's their ranking now for recruiting! Excuse me while I burst out laughing as this is probably the reason they are NOW building their indoor facility but that still doesn't make up for the fact that Stillwater is miles from anywhere you might want to go. No amount of money can change the fact this is still Stillwater, OK, in the boondocks!

And also our offense has never been the problem in Stillwater

Breadburner
7/4/2011, 07:04 PM
Holgerson and crew has been in the area.......

StoopTroup
7/4/2011, 07:07 PM
Don't go chasing waterfalls....
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1457367/medium
Please stick to the rivers
And the lakes that you're used to
I know that you're gonna have it your way
Or nothing at all
But I think you're moving too fast

jk the sooner fan
7/4/2011, 07:49 PM
dont we lose one or two every year to decommittment?

tulsaoilerfan
7/4/2011, 08:09 PM
dont we lose one or two every year to decommittment?

Doesn't everyone?

SoonerMom2
7/4/2011, 08:33 PM

What does that have to do with living in Stillwater? No one can deny it is far from a major city. If I was a football player, I wouldn't want to live in Manhatten either or in Lubbock.

OUInformant
7/4/2011, 08:48 PM
Happens to everybody. Heck, we've lost some great players like Roy Miller and Jeremy Maclin.

Seriously, as good as Mike Gundy is at recruiting, they should have no problem finding some top rate talent since there are thousands of kids looking to play D1 CFB, but only a very limited number of spots.

Soonermagik
7/4/2011, 09:29 PM
And also our offense has never been the problem in Stoolwater

FIFY ;)

SoonerObsession
7/4/2011, 11:11 PM
Remember when Robert Meachum dropped OU for Tennessee on signing day. That hurt!

goingoneight
7/4/2011, 11:27 PM
They're still a stepping stone like anybody else is as far as players whoring themselves out to someone else looking to get their name on the board. I would think that this isn't as close to being the worst part of Gundy's job as getting batch-slipped by OU every year has got to sting a bit more.

soonerprices
7/5/2011, 07:51 AM

Never as in since 1904 or never as in since Gundy or never as in since 2008?

I did a little looking around and it appears throughout the history of the series offense has always been the problem. Not until 1977 did osu average more than 7 points per game in stillwater. In fact osu has averaged only 12 pts/game in stillwater in the history of the series.

badger
7/5/2011, 08:17 AM
Remember when Barry Switzer said that OU had to worry about OSU's brand new facilities? :rolleyes:

Is OSU really finding hidden gems, or is the fact that they'd be getting more playing time at OSU than at other Big 12 schools giving them more chance to develop and get their name out there contributing to their success?

And the article mentions Calvin Barnett decommitting on signing day (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=369&articleid=20100204_227_B9_Booker675090). Technically yes, as that link shows. However, he had to go to juco instead of Arkansas (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=96&articleid=20100615_227_0_Cliant604563) because he was academically ineligible. D'oh!

A better example for them to use would have been Ryan Broyles.

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2011, 08:21 AM
this thread makes me thinks of signing day steals we've gotten from other teams, and then those players have gone on to burn the former team on game day

Reggie Smith against Nebraska comes to mind....Ryan Broyles against osu

i'm sure there are others

badger
7/5/2011, 08:31 AM
You know what else comes to mind? The way OSU plays and coaches football :D

For many years, Gundy would be all involved in the offense,then not even watching the game when Poke was on defense. With his back to the field, he'd be drawing up plays.

So we could be all silly and say that Gundy is in offensive mode when he's pursuing verbals, but when it comes to LOI's, he's got his back tot he field, drawing up the next verbal committment play :D

Or perhaps its just the way OSU loses games. You're ahead of Texas for three quarters. Then, you lose at home because of a miraculous comeback by whorn. Or you're tied with us late in the game, and Boone Pickens checks out early because he can't stand to see OSU lose to OU yet again. Or you luck into a win because Texas A&M's quarterback makes a terrible decision, leading to the game winning field goal.

By the same token, we could once again hammer at OSU's heart by reminding them how much this is like their recruiting. They've led the game or been in the game almost the entire game, only to lose at the end. Drop a pass in the endzone, etc., you name it. The only time they beat teams they shouldn't in the recruiting game is because those other teams screw up, not because OSU is better.

yOJ99gipUCQ

Strikes fear in my heart lol :P

LVSOONER15
7/5/2011, 08:33 AM
Cory Nelson from a&m. What other big names have we stole?

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2011, 08:34 AM
Cory Nelson from a&m. What other big names have we stole?

yeah good steal, but we need to see him make a big play against the aggies!

badger
7/5/2011, 08:37 AM
OK I have one more :stunned:

The past many seasons, OSU fans themselves have just been kind of cautiously optimistic about their seasons, especially in games against us. They love their Cowboys and hope they'll win, yes, but they also have that lingering fear that just like many years in the past, they're going to lose.

Think the coaches are the same way at this point? Has losing too many recruits made them just kind of "meh" about their verbals reopening their recruiting?

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2011, 08:42 AM
You know what else comes to mind? The way OSU plays and coaches football :D

For many years, Gundy would be all involved in the offense,then not even watching the game when Poke was on defense. With his back to the field, he'd be drawing up plays.

So we could be all silly and say that Gundy is in offensive mode when he's pursuing verbals, but when it comes to LOI's, he's got his back tot he field, drawing up the next verbal committment play :D

Or perhaps its just the way OSU loses games. You're ahead of Texas for three quarters. Then, you lose at home because of a miraculous comeback by whorn. Or you're tied with us late in the game, and Boone Pickens checks out early because he can't stand to see OSU lose to OU yet again. Or you luck into a win because Texas A&M's quarterback makes a terrible decision, leading to the game winning field goal.

By the same token, we could once again hammer at OSU's heart by reminding them how much this is like their recruiting. They've led the game or been in the game almost the entire game, only to lose at the end. Drop a pass in the endzone, etc., you name it. The only time they beat teams they shouldn't in the recruiting game is because those other teams screw up, not because OSU is better.

yOJ99gipUCQ

Strikes fear in my heart lol :P

i think he's just being politically correct here, a little melodramatic, but i dont think he truly believes what he's saying.....its just "tv"

badger
7/5/2011, 08:46 AM
i think he's just being politically correct here, a little melodramatic, but i dont think he truly believes what he's saying.....its just "tv"

I know, Switzer is king at that type of stuff :D

I just think its hilarious that OSU fans believed every word of that when it's clear that football recruits are not [hairGel]

OSU's basketball recruits perhaps, but not football recruits.

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2011, 08:49 AM
i think 18 year old kids DO like the tradition

i cant remember a kid talking about a decision to attend OU because of the facilities, but rather the chance to "win championships"

LVSOONER15
7/5/2011, 09:05 AM
i cant remember a kid talking about a decision to attend OU because of the facilities, but rather the chance to "win championships"

Great point:)

jumperstop
7/5/2011, 10:07 AM
yeah good steal, but we need to see him make a big play against the aggies!

Travis Lewis count?

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2011, 10:08 AM
Travis Lewis count?

absolutely - he was originally a NU commit right? i knew there was another from the San Antonio area but couldnt place the name - good call!

jumperstop
7/5/2011, 10:14 AM
absolutely - he was originally a NU commit right? i knew there was another from the San Antonio area but couldnt place the name - good call!

Yeah, I think he made plenty of plays against nebbish. :D That had the irk some of them.

badger
7/5/2011, 10:17 AM
Even if OSU's invisible athletic village ever becomes visible, I'm not sure that there would be that much of a difference between OSU's facilities and other Big 12 facilities (excluding the only one left without an indoor practice facility, hehe) that would sway recruits.

If anything, they're playing catchup, just like always (facilities on the rise?). If their recent winning and new facilities can't sell recruits at this point, what will?

1- The color orange. It's brighter than Texas' orange. It says so at the Houston Hobby airport everywhere!

2- Having a 60k stadium. It's bigger than 50k stadiums and more exclusive than those 70k, 80k, 90k and 100k stadiums out there. You can't just let everyone watch in person, can you? What's television for?

3- Being on television. Forget that we just knocked it. You don't want to have to drive all the way to Stillwater for hours on I-35 just to get trapped in an endless stream of traffic on I-35! Watch us on TV!

4- Being in Stillwater. Forget that we just said you didn't want to be here. You WANT to be here. Please?

Joking aside, this has to crush OSU a little bit. I remember when Wisconsin finally made it to the Final Four under Dick Bennett back in 2000, Coach Bennett finally thought he'd be able to recruit better since his program was making national headlines, and that they'd be making regular deep tourney runs. Plus, the new Kohl Center was a huge upgrade in facilities. Didn't happen. Retired mid-season the next year.

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2011, 10:20 AM
Joking aside, this has to crush OSU a little bit.

i dont know, i think we're trying too hard to make fun of osu

every team loses recruits on a yearly basis - 18 year olds change their mind - there's a bunch of other kids out there that will fill that void.....its the off season, seems the papers and the fans need something to write about, whether its a story or not

just my 2 cents

Sooner_Tuf
7/5/2011, 11:24 AM

Seemed like a problem when you got skunked by the Sooners in 2009. And the other thirty some times it has happened.

I have no idea how many shut outs the pokes have experienced. Those are just the ones the Sooners have laid on them. No telling how many Kansas and Iowa State would add to the total :D

badger
7/5/2011, 11:34 AM
Sanders is going to stay true to OSU I believe. I've read that he was an OSU fan from when he was younger.

BJ Sanders is going to Alabama. The only way that you're in the same league as Bammer is that you both only have one Heisman.

It might be cool to be at the same school as your father and all, but why hasn't Sanders really visited Stilly much since leaving for the pros? Wasn't the first time he returned back in the 2002 OU game?

SoonerNomad
7/5/2011, 11:53 AM
I'm in the "much ado about nothing camp." In my opinion every one of these way too early commits is "soft" until February next year, including Oklahoma's recruits. The last minute bail outs described above that have worked both ways for OU over the years are evidence of that.

They're not commits until they sign the LOI and so I don't worry when they decide to do something else, especially young high schoolers and especially this early in the process.

badger
7/5/2011, 12:02 PM
I know it's offseason and we are grasping at straws to talk football (btw, sorry to everyone for not doing a Monday poll this week).

However, this is a fun topic :D

Any OU decommits that really ticked you off that you can remember? Any other-school decommits that came to OU that really brightened your day?

Not really following recruiting, the one that seems to irk many is Robert Meacham to Tennessee. The decommit that came here of note that I can think of immediately is Ryan Broyles. Both Meacham and Broyles are top receivers and were significant recruits to their schools.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/5/2011, 12:03 PM
Seemed like a problem when you got skunked by the Sooners in 2009. And the other thirty some times it has happened.

I have no idea how many shut outs the pokes have experienced. Those are just the ones the Sooners have laid on them. No telling how many Kansas and Iowa State would add to the total :DDayum, you are ROUGH on the aggy!

badger
7/5/2011, 12:24 PM
For old time's sake (Soonerpsycho's)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Soonerpsycho/osublahblah.gif

SoonerDood
7/5/2011, 12:42 PM
Not really following recruiting, the one that seems to irk many is Robert Meacham to Tennessee.

Count me among the ones that are still pissed off about this one. Derrick Williams still hurts, but not nearly as much as Meachem.

7/5/2011, 12:50 PM
Count me among the ones that are still pissed off about this one. Derrick Williams still hurts, but not nearly as much as Meachem.Jeremy Macklin was a big disappointment for me. I didn't realize he was as good as he is. Of course, he's from out of state, unlike Meacham...yeah, I don't like the Saints.

SoonerDood
7/5/2011, 12:51 PM
Jeremy Macklin was a big disappointment for me. I didn't realize he was as good as he is. Of course, he's from out of state, unlike Meacham...yeah, I don't like the Saints.

The first our coaches heard of Meachem's decommit was on Signing Day when Fulmer was introducing him at Tennessee:mad:

7/5/2011, 12:54 PM
The first our coaches heard of Meachem's decommit was on Signing Day when Fulmer was introducing him at Tennessee:mad:The TN babyvomitorange team has a history of stealing some top Sooner State players.

badger
7/5/2011, 01:16 PM
The first our coaches heard of Meachem's decommit was on Signing Day when Fulmer was introducing him at Tennessee:mad:

Meachem redshirted in 2003 due to a knee injury.
Zero starts in 2004.
Two starts (and two TDs) in 2005.

And yeah, the breakout year in 2006 that allowed him to skip his senior year and get drafted in the first round, but what exactly did Tennessee accomplish those years?

2004: 10-3, lost the SEC title game, won the Cotton Bowl (over Aggie)
2005: 5-6
2006: 9-4, losing the Outback Bowl to Penn State

What a decision. :rolleyes:

OUInformant
7/5/2011, 03:20 PM
We've lost some good guys, but there have been quite a few times where we've taken a few come signing day.

It's good to be an OU alum.

champions77
7/5/2011, 04:01 PM
i think 18 year old kids DO like the tradition

With all of the "lovefest" that goes on in the DOK everyday, this is one point that they do not dare touch on, and that is the fact that OSU's fb program does not have their own trophy room. osu fb is throw in with every other sport at osu. So you are an 18 year old kid and you tour through OU's Switzer Center, a shrine to one of the very best fb traditions in all of college football, and then you go through osu's. While there, be careful not to knock over one of those prized Golf trophies, or watch your step, you might accidentally brush against into one of those wrestling NC trophies. I'm sure a schoolboy football player from texas would be really impressed by either of those accomplishments.

Never could understand how a place void of an indoor practice facility, could still manage to generate all of those media types into exclaiming that osu's facilities were second to none. An Indoor facility is up there in importance most would say. At least it was to 11 of the Big XII schools that already have an indoor facility. More proof of the media bias that we see in this state regarding the pukes.

CowboyMRW
7/5/2011, 04:25 PM
BJ Sanders is going to Alabama. The only way that you're in the same league as Bammer is that you both only have one Heisman.

It might be cool to be at the same school as your father and all, but why hasn't Sanders really visited Stilly much since leaving for the pros? Wasn't the first time he returned back in the 2002 OU game?

I was referencing Kendall Sanders who is committed to OSU at this time.

BJ Sanders isn't committed anywhere so I didn't say anything about him but since you brought him up I do find it odd that his dad purchased a suite at BPS when his son will be playing at Alabama:confused:

CowboyMRW
7/5/2011, 04:27 PM
With all of the "lovefest" that goes on in the DOK everyday, this is one point that they do not dare touch on, and that is the fact that OSU's fb program does not have their own trophy room. osu fb is throw in with every other sport at osu. So you are an 18 year old kid and you tour through OU's Switzer Center, a shrine to one of the very best fb traditions in all of college football, and then you go through osu's. While there, be careful not to knock over one of those prized Golf trophies, or watch your step, you might accidentally brush against into one of those wrestling NC trophies. I'm sure a schoolboy football player from texas would be really impressed by either of those accomplishments.

Never could understand how a place void of an indoor practice facility, could still manage to generate all of those media types into exclaiming that osu's facilities were second to none. An Indoor facility is up there in importance most would say. At least it was to 11 of the Big XII schools that already have an indoor facility. More proof of the media bias that we see in this state regarding the pukes.

Have you seen our facilities. The ones we do have in place are some of the best in the nation. Our facilities are very good

badger
7/5/2011, 04:28 PM
Hehe, ok. :)

btw, this is your last chance at beating OU. If you don't win this year, you are never going to beat OU ever again. Hope you enjoying the hell out of 2002, because that will indeed be your final victory over OU for the rest of time. :stunned:

7/5/2011, 04:28 PM
I was referencing Kendall Sanders who is committed to OSU at this time.

BJ Sanders isn't committed anywhere so I didn't say anything about him but since you brought him up I do find it odd that his dad purchased a suite at BPS when his son will be playing at Alabama:confused:Not to worry. BSJr will have the same success against OU that his dad did.

picasso
7/5/2011, 04:31 PM
Have you seen our facilities. The ones we do have in place are some of the best in the nation. Our facilities are very good

Everyone has nice stuff. You guys are just new to the game.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/5/2011, 04:31 PM

One problem...

Those facilities are in Stillwater, OK.

The other facilities you have are currently inhabited by Harvey the Rabbit

PalmBeachSooner
7/5/2011, 04:33 PM
What does this have to do with anything in this thread?

The dreaded ADD.

SoonerofAlabama
7/5/2011, 06:46 PM
One problem...

Those facilities are in Stillwater, OK.

The other facilities you have are currently inhabited by Harvey the Rabbit

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4682/487973110739fcb8ce1e.jpg

CowboyMRW
7/5/2011, 09:25 PM
Everyone has nice stuff. You guys are just new to the game.

I know. There's no denying that. I'm just referring to the fact of people saying that our facilities aren't nice because our IPF isn't up yet, when in actuality our facilities are extremely nice minus that one thing

champions77
7/6/2011, 11:54 AM
I know. There's no denying that. I'm just referring to the fact of people saying that our facilities aren't nice because our IPF isn't up yet, when in actuality our facilities are extremely nice minus that one thing

No one here is saying that what you have isn't nice. But we do take exception to the statements that osu has the best facilities anywhere. When you are missing what has become a very important facility, then you can't be considered as having the finest facilities there is. That's all.

I am sure any fan in Tuscaloosa or Columbus would laugh at the notion that osu has as good or better facilities than they do, when not even having an indoor practice facility.

badger
7/6/2011, 12:09 PM
Perhaps OSU is focusing on the wrong facilities. While they're off trying to make the best indoor facilities, most of the rest of the Big 12 has bigger and better stadiums. You know, the facilities that host the actual games :D

7/6/2011, 12:12 PM
Perhaps OSU is focusing on the wrong facilities. While they're off trying to make the best indoor facilities, most of the rest of the Big 12 has bigger and better stadiums. You know, the facilities that host the actual games :DOf course, "build it and they will come". Wonder why the orange aggy muckeywumps didn't think of that!

badger
7/6/2011, 12:34 PM
This applies to basketball too. They have this kick arse facilities for both womens and mens teams now, yet they're not selling out GIA anymore.

Sometimes I wonder about the management of OSU athletics... and then I remember that T. Bone appointed his golf buddy to be in charge :stunned:

walkoffsooner
7/6/2011, 01:50 PM
Stoolwater, Norman, or even okc lacks alot in the big city dept, not saying I don't prefer it more here. But have you been to LA, Detroit, Atlanta, lately? The argument of Norman or stoolwater. about the same

7/6/2011, 02:00 PM
Stoolwater, Norman, or even okc lacks alot in the big city dept, not saying I don't prefer it more here. But have you been to LA, Detroit, Atlanta, lately? The argument of Norman or stoolwater. about the sameOrange ag has a pretty significant tradition problem, compared to the Sooners, plus they are AGGY. Consequently, BIG difference!

SoonerofAlabama
7/6/2011, 02:06 PM
Okay, I am just wondering about this. I saw on wikipedia that OK State's all-time record is 517-520-47. Are they still under .500? Just wondering because you can't always trust wikipedia.

champions77
7/6/2011, 03:46 PM
Stoolwater, Norman, or even okc lacks alot in the big city dept, not saying I don't prefer it more here. But have you been to LA, Detroit, Atlanta, lately? The argument of Norman or stoolwater. about the same

Are you joking? They don't even have a mall in Stoolwater.

I am so glad that a greasy spoon hamburger joint that sells tee shirts on the side is not the biggest attraction in Norman, Oklahoma like it is up there.

Curly Bill
7/6/2011, 03:51 PM
Do people still go to the mall anyway?

champions77
7/6/2011, 05:09 PM
Do people still go to the mall anyway?

Apparently not you.

Curly Bill
7/6/2011, 05:17 PM
Malls are out. They're like so...1980's.

texaspokieokie
7/6/2011, 05:22 PM
This applies to basketball too. They have this kick arse facilities for both womens and mens teams now, yet they're not selling out GIA anymore.

Sometimes I wonder about the management of OSU athletics... and then I remember that T. Bone appointed his golf buddy to be in charge :stunned:

maybe it has to do with winning & losing.

champions77
7/6/2011, 05:22 PM
Malls are out. They're like so...1980's.

Heck it's just like the Aggies to wait around long enough... and finally they would be in style.