PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Twitter feed hacked

mgsooner
7/4/2011, 09:22 AM
No it didn't send any penis pics to anyone.

Hack of Fox News Twitter feed says Obama dead

(CNN) -- Hackers apparently broke into the FoxNews.com's Twitter feed for political news early Monday and used it to announce -- falsely -- that President Barack Obama had been assassinated.

Obama was "shot twice at a Ross' restaurant in Iowa while campaigning. RIP Obama, best regards to the Obama family," read one of several Twitter messages posted on @FoxNewsPolitics early Monday.

"We wish @joebiden the best of luck as our new President of the United States. In such a time of madness, there's light at the end of tunnel," the last in the series of tweets said later.

An article on FoxNews.com confirmed the hack.

"Hackers sent out several malicious and false tweets claiming that President Obama had been assassinated," it said. "Those reports are incorrect, of course, and the president is spending the July 4 holiday with his family.

"The hacking is being investigated, and FoxNews.com regrets any distress the false tweets may have created."

One of the false messages said, "it's a sad 4th of July ... The shooter will be found." That message encouraged Twitter users to post the message on their own Twitter accounts, which would spread the fake news. Several users did just that.

The tweets generated headlines around the world, criticisms and mockery on Twitter, with firebrand liberal TV host Keith Olbermann frantically tweeting to many individual Twitter users that Obama is fine. He asked Twitter users not to re-post the messages.

The first of the false tweets were posted around 2 a.m. ET. They were still up eight hours later, with no explanation of their origin. The Twitter messages asserting that Obama had been attacked came after a message that said, "Just regained full access to our Twitter and email. Happy 4th."

The @FoxNewsPolitics Twitter account has 34,566 followers.

Twitter did not immediately respond to CNN requests for comment.

soonerloyal
7/4/2011, 09:53 AM
The happy adrenaline surge of extremists followed by a crash of disappointment has caused a disturbance in The Force.

But honestly, can't these idiot hackers put their energy & talents to GOOD use?

Whet
7/4/2011, 10:23 AM
They took control of the site last night about 11:30, or so. They sent out a tweet, saying they've taken control of the Fox Political News feed.

OrlandoSooner
7/4/2011, 10:26 AM
I'm more surprised that it only has 34,000 followers.

Whet
7/4/2011, 10:38 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5318/5900918707_3ba2038381_b.jpg

Penguin
7/4/2011, 10:43 AM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/01/10/Loughnermugshot_370x278.jpg

He's got teh mad H4x0r skillz

yankee
7/4/2011, 11:35 AM
The fake FoxNews twitter account got "hacked" last night. The real one did not, it has nearly 800,000 followers. Unless foxnewspolitics is a legit, separate account of FoxNews, maybe just designed for political only tweets?

StoopTroup
7/4/2011, 11:50 AM
With a message like that....it's really hard to say they have been hacked. I'd think it was more of a Fox News Employee got drunk and tweeted some stuff he thought was funny.

Whet
7/4/2011, 12:12 PM
With a message like that....it's really hard to say they have been hacked. I'd think it was more of a Fox News Employee got drunk and tweeted some stuff he thought was funny.

Glenn Beck's last act before turning in his keys?

StoopTroup
7/4/2011, 12:13 PM
Glenn Beck's last act before turning in his keys?

lol

Whet
7/4/2011, 12:16 PM
The fake FoxNews twitter account got "hacked" last night. The real one did not, it has nearly 800,000 followers. Unless foxnewspolitics is a legit, separate account of FoxNews, maybe just designed for political only tweets?

foxnewspolitics is a legitimate account. as it foxnewsradio, and foxnewstalk.

Scott D
7/4/2011, 02:18 PM
and foxnewstmz

yankee
7/4/2011, 02:34 PM
foxnewspolitics is a legitimate account. as it foxnewsradio, and foxnewstalk.

Gotcha, but it's not the main one.

Whet
7/4/2011, 02:46 PM
Gotcha, but it's not the main one.

correct

oumartin
7/4/2011, 02:49 PM
Did anyone see Ainsley Earhardt yesterday? Smokin' hawt in the white dress.

StoopTroup
7/4/2011, 02:57 PM
Are you stalking her on FB yet?

http://www.facebook.com/AinsleyEarhardt

oumartin
7/4/2011, 03:16 PM
Are you stalking her on FB yet?

http://www.facebook.com/AinsleyEarhardt

I dont' have time for facebook