PDA

View Full Version : 139-6

King Crimson
7/3/2011, 08:58 PM
this the score the 1956 Sooners had against NU, UT, and Notre Dame.

SoonerofAlabama
7/3/2011, 09:02 PM
6 shutouts. Including UT and ND, OSU, and UNC.

King Crimson
7/3/2011, 09:07 PM
6 shutouts. Including UT and ND, OSU, and UNC.

UNC was coached by Jim Tatum. that must have been sweet. no one scores against the 1956 Sooners until October 20th.

texaspokieokie
7/3/2011, 09:27 PM
this the score the 1956 Sooners had against NU, UT, and Notre Dame.

keep in mind, 3 bad teams.

King Crimson
7/3/2011, 09:33 PM
keep in mind, 3 bad teams.

53-0 against OK State.

another bad team.

whatever.

SoonerofAlabama
7/3/2011, 09:47 PM
1956 UNC 2-7-1

1956 KSU 3-7

1956 UT 1-9

1956 ND 2-8

1956 ISU 2-8

1956 OSU 3-5-2

prrriiide
7/3/2011, 10:57 PM
1956 ND 2-8

And Paul "I'm living off of the domers reputation" Hornung won the HeisTman over Tommy MacDonald. What a crock o'feces.

T-Mac got seriously jobbed. Buggered, even.

SoonerofAlabama
7/3/2011, 11:05 PM
The '50s. What an amazing time to be a Sooner. Correct me if I am worng, but our record in the '50s was 93-10-2. 35 Shutouts. 1 Heisman Memorial Trophy Winner. 1 Heisman Runner-Up. 1 Maxwell Award Winner. 2 Outland Trophy Winners. 23 All-Americans. 60-1 Big 7 Record. 10 Big 7 Conference Titles. 5 Bowl Wins (4 Orange Bowl Wins, One Sugar Bowl Win). Three National Titles. 47 Straight Wins.

SoonerofAlabama
7/4/2011, 12:36 AM
And Paul "I'm living off of the domers reputation" Hornung won the HeisTman over Tommy MacDonald. What a crock o'feces.

T-Mac got seriously jobbed. Buggered, even.

Hornung: 59 Cmp, 111 Att, 917 Yds, 3 TD, 13 Int

McDonald: 119 Att, 853 Yds, 7.2 Avg 17 TDs

And Jerry Tubbs was in the Top 5.

SoonerofAlabama
7/4/2011, 02:20 AM
Something I found interesting:

1 Paul Hornung Notre Dame - College Football Hall of Fame, NFL Hall of Fame

2 Johnny Majors Tennessee - College Football Hall of Fame

3 Tommy McDonald Oklahoma - College Football Hall of Fame, NFL Hall of Fame

4 Jerry Tubbs Oklahoma - College Football Hall of Fame

5 Jim Brown Syracuse - College Football Hall of Fame, NFL Hall of Fame

6 Ron Kramer Michigan - College Football Hall of Fame

7 John Brodie Stanford - College Football Hall of Fame

8 Jim Parker Ohio State - College Football Hall of Fame, NFL Hall of Fame

9 Kenny Ploen Iowa - Canadian Football Hall of Fame

10 Jon Arnett USC - College Football Hall of Fame

rekamrettuB
7/4/2011, 04:18 AM
Hornung: 59 Cmp, 111 Att, 917 Yds, 3 TD, 13 Int

McDonald: 119 Att, 853 Yds, 7.2 Avg 17 TDs

And Jerry Tubbs was in the Top 5.

Hornung did a lot more than just throw the ball.

picasso
7/4/2011, 11:13 AM

Not enough.

SoonerofAlabama
7/4/2011, 11:30 AM

Sorry, the website where I found that info only showed his passing. I just read where he lead the team offensively in passing, rushing, scoring, kickoff and punt returns, and punting. And defensively in, he led his team in passes broken up and was a second in interceptions and tackles made.

rekamrettuB
7/4/2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry, the website where I found that info only showed his passing. I just read where he lead the team offensively in passing, rushing, scoring, kickoff and punt returns, and punting. And defensively in, he led his team in passes broken up and was a second in interceptions and tackles made.

There's no doubt he won because of the name Notre Dame across his chest but he was a great all around player.

texaspokieokie
7/4/2011, 03:21 PM
Not enough.

yes it was.

i'm almost over being pissed about it, gimme another 50 yrs.
;)

stoopified
7/5/2011, 01:23 PM
Jeery Tubbs proably had the most to do with Tommy not winning the Heisman.Jf heand Tommy had not split voters,oneof them would have won over the Domed one.

SunnySooner
7/5/2011, 02:30 PM
The '50s. What an amazing time to be a Sooner. Correct me if I am worng, but our record in the '50s was 93-10-2. 35 Shutouts. 1 Heisman Memorial Trophy Winner. 1 Heisman Runner-Up. 1 Maxwell Award Winner. 2 Outland Trophy Winners. 23 All-Americans. 60-1 Big 7 Record. 10 Big 7 Conference Titles. 5 Bowl Wins (4 Orange Bowl Wins, One Sugar Bowl Win). Three National Titles. 47 Straight Wins.

Yeah. These were my dad's teen years. They didn't have a TV, but they had a radio, and it played the Sooners, the Cards, and the Grand Ole Opry. Probably why I still love all three of those organizations to this day. They would work their *** es off on the farm all day and then come home to dinner, then it was out to the porch, sweet tea in hand, to enjoy the "breeze" and listen to the radio. He raised me right. ;)

Good lowered, it's good to be a Sooner. I feel sorry for those other fans, they should just give up and convert. :D :D :D

picasso
7/5/2011, 04:39 PM
yes it was.

i'm almost over being pissed about it, gimme another 50 yrs.
;)

If they were 2-8 it wasn't nearly enough.;)

texaspokieokie
7/5/2011, 09:30 PM
If they were 2-8 it wasn't nearly enough.;)

he got tha gold.

Soonerlife07
7/6/2011, 01:51 AM

This is a pretty crazy stat even tho it was on a terrible team

SoonerNomad
7/6/2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah. These were my dad's teen years. They didn't have a TV, but they had a radio, and it played the Sooners, the Cards, and the Grand Ole Opry. Probably why I still love all three of those organizations to this day. They would work their *** es off on the farm all day and then come home to dinner, then it was out to the porch, sweet tea in hand, to enjoy the "breeze" and listen to the radio. He raised me right. ;)

Good lowered, it's good to be a Sooner. I feel sorry for those other fans, they should just give up and convert. :D :D :D

This is my Dad's experience as well. He turned 16 in 1957 and had spent the previous ten years listening to and falling in love with OU football during the win streak and the national titles. He never went to college, but he had the Sooner bug for the rest of his life (and still does). He passed that passion on to me during my teen years in the 70's by regaling me with stories of Vessels and MacDonald and Harris and Tubbs and Coach Wilkinson and of winning. By the time I turned 16 in 1976 I had listened to and watched OU win two more national titles and was hooked for life.

My youngest son will turn 16 later this year. He has listened to me talk about Mildren, and Pruitt and Washington and Shoate and Cumby and all three Selmons and both Owens and Zac Henderson and Coach Switzer and Lott and Watts and Keith Jackson and so many many more. He has the same bug my Dad has and the same bug I have. He has a lifetime ahead enjoying Sooner football and he also has an obligation to pass it on in the future.

OU football - nothing like it.