PDA

View Full Version : Wow the Big Ten was quick to embrace Nebraska!

PDXsooner
7/3/2011, 10:54 AM
I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came across the Big Ten Network and they were playing the 1995 Orange Bowl (NU vs Miami) and were calling it one of the "greatest games in Big Ten History"....under the Big Ten Network logo in the corner that had the Nebraska "N".

Isn't it a bit of a stretch to call that one of the greatest games in Big Ten history?

ouwasp
7/3/2011, 12:25 PM
I'd say it's a stretch. Aggie-esque. Kinda like saying BHO is the greatest Hawaiian-born president in US History.

101sooner
7/3/2011, 01:08 PM
It's a total stretch. It's like claiming the 1969 Cotton Bowl between Texas and Notre Dame is one of the greatest games in Big XII history.

AlboSooner
7/3/2011, 01:14 PM
It's not a stretch. A stretch implies some veracity to the argument. NU was in the Big 8 then. It makes no logical sense to claim those game. It would be like the Thunder claiming victories while they were the Sonic. Even if the Thunder would have more of a case than the Bug 10, nobody in their right mind would support such a bush league move.

stoopified
7/3/2011, 01:22 PM
Dumb

PDXsooner
7/3/2011, 02:04 PM
It's a total stretch. It's like claiming the 1969 Cotton Bowl between Texas and Notre Dame is one of the greatest games in Big XII history.

Exactly! Or claiming all the OU-Texas battles back in the 70's and 80's were "great Big 12 battles"...preposterous!

Fish&Game
7/3/2011, 02:43 PM
You really watch the Big Ten Network?

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/3/2011, 03:12 PM

Haha I was wondering the same thing.

PDXsooner
7/3/2011, 05:30 PM

Surfing and saw "College Football" -- I'm a sucker for it every time!

sendbaht
7/3/2011, 05:30 PM
I'd have more respect for that silly "greatest game in Big 10 history" if they would have said (but just a stupid) biggest game in Big 8 history. STILL...

sendbaht
7/3/2011, 05:32 PM

I do because that is a channel they have here on my dish network in Thailand for goodness sakes....

King Barry's Back
7/4/2011, 01:02 AM
I admit it looks silly for the Big 10 to be calling that game one of the greatest in their history, before Nebraska has ever even snapped a ball in that conference.

But technically, I think in this case the Big 10 is correct.

It's no different than the old Big XII claimed football championships won by Oklahoma while a member of the Big 7 and Big 8 conferences, Texas while a member of the SWC, and Colorado and Nebraska and Texas A&M before they joined the Big XII.

We probably shouldn't be surprised that the Big 10 is so quick to highlight the glory days of Nebraska football. Let's face it, the only thing that Nebraska brings to the Big 10 table is the 'Huskers tradition and history in one sport.

I think rationale for highlighting the 1995 Orange Bowl in this way is probably two-fold. One, to honestly educate the fan base of the Big 10 conference as to who the newcomers are, and two, to help blunt the possibility of any push back from fans miffed at upsetting the apple cart.

I think admitting Nebraska was a pretty risky move for the Big 10. Nebraska doesn't bring much of anything outside of football, and they mostly bring a rural, farm-state TV demographic.

Their only claim to fame, and the reason they were invited, is their football brand name. But let's face it. It's been a long time since Nebraska was a serious national contender. And let's face it again, the jury is still out on Pelini. He's seen some success, but he's highly volatile, and his hiring could still turn out to be a disaster. Never mind that it will take the Husker some time to get their footing in a new league.

All that means that it could be a good long time before the Big 10 sees much on their investment in Nebraska.

Claiming an old Orange Bowl is small potatoes in justifying Nebraska's invitation in the public's mind.

budbarrybob
7/4/2011, 02:12 AM
KBB do NOT try to interject logic in this otherwise sensable argument...

goingoneight
7/4/2011, 02:27 AM
I wonder what they thought of the 2002 Rose Bowl? :D

soonerloyal
7/4/2011, 08:08 AM
Personally, I hope the Huskers beat the ever-lovin' carp outta every in-conference team they play. Every time. I hope they make the other Big Ten teams their **tch.

King Crimson
7/4/2011, 08:10 AM
Personally, I hope the Huskers beat the ever-lovin' carp outta every in-conference team they play. Every time. I hope they make the other nine teams their **tch.

i used to feel that way. now, they can F off. sanctimonious morons.

soonerloyal
7/4/2011, 08:32 AM
i used to feel that way. now, they can F off. sanctimonious morons.

Perhaps, but they're OUR sm's. :D I'll always consider them family. I'd rather see them be the smug ones at the top of their new heap than the bucknutz. Besides, what better way to add insult to tosu's injury than to have the new kid on the block take over?

King Crimson
7/4/2011, 08:42 AM
Perhaps, but they're OUR sm's. :D I'll always consider them family. I'd rather see them be the smug ones at the top of their new heap than the bucknutz. Besides, what better way to add insult to tosu's injury than to have the new kid on the block take over?

you are more generous than me. i used to pull for Dr. Tom in all but one game a year. that's over.

tcrb
7/4/2011, 09:03 AM
Right now I think that the Big 10 will jump at any opportunity to direct attention away from tosu.

AlboSooner
7/4/2011, 09:52 AM
KBB do NOT try to interject logic in this otherwise sensable argument...

yeah, you got that covered quite well.