PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma BBQ sauce

JohnnyMack
7/3/2011, 07:40 AM
I know most people use Head Country, but I gotta tell you that this new stuff from 3 Guys Smokin' is really, really good.

soonerprices
7/3/2011, 09:07 AM
B.L. Waybackers made is Mt View OK and head country are the only 2 BBQ sauces I will use.

A little known fact is that many of the best BBQ places in OK use HC as their sauce. They may add their own flavor but HC is their base.

BudSooner
7/3/2011, 09:40 AM
I'll have to see if the Reasors here will order some of it.

soonerinabilene
7/3/2011, 09:43 AM
Mac's in Skiatook sells their sauce... Oh my god it is good stuff

oumartin
7/3/2011, 09:47 AM
I've been known to have Dinks send me sauce.

soonersponge
7/3/2011, 09:58 AM
Uncle Gene's BBQ sauce out of Shawnee is my favorite.

SoCaliSooner
7/3/2011, 10:09 AM
Uncle Gene's BBQ sauce out of Shawnee is my favorite.

I want my BBQ sauce to embarrassingly scream "Boomer!" at the most inappropriate time.

Hook me up.

Chuck Bao
7/3/2011, 10:12 AM
When I was a kid, my dad would buy only one BBQ sauce - Gray's BBQ sauce.

It was a one-man operation and the older gentleman made it in his home on hwy. 77 in the main strip in Madill.

My dad would buy it by the gallon - in reused milk gallon containers.

That was the best stuff and defined BBQ sauce for me for the rest of my life. It was very hot and vinegary and not so sweet.

I don't know if he passed on his recipe to his kids and they continue to make it. It would be a pity if they didn't because that beat all store bought BBQ sauces hands down.

soonersponge
7/3/2011, 10:26 AM
I want my BBQ sauce to embarrassingly scream "Boomer!" at the most inappropriate time.

Hook me up.

I do noT recall his BBQ sauce being good, but if I am sending that then you need some Earl Campbell meat to go with it.

www.earlcampbellmeatproducts.com

www.billysimsbbq.com/store/billy-sims-bbq-sauce

BudSooner
7/3/2011, 10:35 AM
I do noT recall his BBQ sauce being good, but if I am sending that then you need some Earl Campbell meat to go with it.

That is done in this household plenty, OU always tops Texas here. :D

okie52
7/3/2011, 11:05 AM
Han's BBQ sauce was the best I have ever had with Leo's being second.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/3/2011, 11:50 PM
Selmon Brothers.

Don't even know if it exists anymore. I haven't seen it in a few years.

King Crimson
7/4/2011, 08:38 AM
Robertson's is pretty good.

GDC
7/4/2011, 10:41 AM
Recent article about Oklahoma bbq:

http://www.ok-living.com/Cover.php

SoCaliSooner
7/4/2011, 10:59 AM

That looks like some high quality BBQ right there. I'll bet none of that profit is siphoned off for back child support either.

SteelClip49
7/4/2011, 11:13 AM
Head Country is freakin awesome!

Good Oklahoma BBQ sauces are hard to decide from which is the best. I have had so many and then after this thread, there are some I have yet to try.

I would like to find a BBQ sauce that doesn't use HFCS though.

StoopTroup
7/4/2011, 11:31 AM
For those of you who are Diabetic or cutting down on sugar....

Billy is one of the only ones I know that does this....

The success of Billy Sims BBQ Skinny Sauce goes far beyond being diabetic friendly. The sauce is just plain good.

It starts with a good smoky base, adds plenty of kick, has great consistency and body, and a wonderful tomato sauce tang.

Great on the grill or as a marinade for chicken, turkey or pork.

http://billysimsbbq.com/billy-sims-bbq-skinny-sauce

soonerloyal
7/4/2011, 12:24 PM
Selmon Brothers.

Don't even know if it exists anymore. I haven't seen it in a few years.

When I was home (Norman) on a visit in 2008 I picked up several bottles of Selmon's at the Homeland on Main across from NHS. I keep nagging Sweetbay & Publix down here in Central FL to order it for me. Stupid Florida, no luck in 6 years. They're supposed to love Lee Roy down here, dammit.

Edited: I just called the store to ask if they carry still it. I was told that Selmon Bros. say they lost their distributor and are looking for another. He was assured by Selmon that it WILL be available again, as quickly as he can make it so. YAY!!!

soonersponge
7/4/2011, 01:17 PM
That looks like some high quality BBQ right there. I'll bet none of that profit is siphoned off for back child support either.

Unless it is garnished!

soonerprices
7/4/2011, 02:16 PM
Head Country is freakin awesome!

Good Oklahoma BBQ sauces are hard to decide from which is the best. I have had so many and then after this thread, there are some I have yet to try.

I would like to find a BBQ sauce that doesn't use HFCS though.

Huh you're afriad of corn?

Sooner_Tuf
7/4/2011, 03:05 PM
We usually just make our own but sometimes you crave something a little different. Billy Sims is good but maybe a little too sweet for me. Will have to try the skinny stuff.

I usually keep Cattleman's Original around. I like it a great deal. No idea where it is from.

The other sauce I really like is from Iowa (weird I know) is called Cookie's. You can order it on the web. It is thick, dark, and sweet without being too sweet. It has some kind of seasoning in it that really draws me to it.