PDA

View Full Version : Dadgum, Charles Thompson was fast

cleller
7/2/2011, 09:57 PM
This is one of those Youtube videos I ran across somehow. I don't know if its bad form to post about him these days or not. Maybe with the all the attention focused on his kid, and his attitude now, it will take some of the sting out.

Anyway, I had been watching the highlights of the 1984 OU/Texas game when Thompson came in for an injured Holieway. Was struck by Thompson's quickness.
This clip shows some of his better runs: don't miss the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X71Temuido

SoonerofAlabama
7/2/2011, 10:13 PM
This is one of those Youtube videos I ran across somehow. I don't know if its bad form to post about him these days or not. Maybe with the all the attention focused on his kid, and his attitude now, it will take some of the sting out.

Anyway, I had been watching the highlights of the 1984 OU/Texas game when Thompson came in for an injured Holieway. Was struck by Thompson's quickness.
This clip shows some of his better runs: don't miss the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X71Temuido

I am sorry, but what is the news about him?

Other than that, he was fast. It is unfortunate what he did off the field though.

bixby28
7/2/2011, 10:15 PM
Charles Thompson had not even graduated high school in '84.

SoonerofAlabama
7/2/2011, 10:20 PM
He was a redshirt freshman in the 1987 season when he became the starter.

soonerloyal
7/2/2011, 11:13 PM
_X71Temuido

King Barry's Back
7/2/2011, 11:13 PM
cleller,

You seem to be hit up with some negativity from other posters. Understand, you are dredging up some painful memories best left buried.

But thanks much for the link. Watching some of CT's great runs brought back some very good memories about him -- and we don't have too many of them.

toast
7/3/2011, 08:01 AM
Hanta Yo

cleller
7/3/2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I got the year wrong there. I had starting watching the infamous 1984 OU-Texas, rain soaked, interception-in-the-endzone no call, then went to 1987 OU-Texas, then Thompson highlights. You know
how it goes.

I don't have much of an opinion on him these days. When all his troubles became OU's troubles in the 80's I naturally didn't want to even hear his name. For that reason, I just wiped him out of my memory.

So, now with the benefit of time, I was able to look at these clips and thought the guy was pretty darn fast, that's all. Its like watching clips of an opponent that shreds you, but you have to admit he's got talent.

Sooner Cal
7/3/2011, 01:27 PM
Get over it guys. He was a better athlete than any of our wishbone Qb's. He made a mistake and paid his dues. This is America and we give people a second chance. In his case, we've seen a man turn it around. He's hardly responsible for Barry's firing, Barry was for not riding herd on these young men.

picasso
7/3/2011, 02:16 PM
Get over it guys. He was a better athlete than any of our wishbone Qb's. He made a mistake and paid his dues. This is America and we give people a second chance. In his case, we've seen a man turn it around. He's hardly responsible for Barry's firing, Barry was for not riding herd on these young men.

Yes he was but he was an awful passer. Jamelle on the other hand was an underrated thrower of ze ball. Dude had an arm.

101sooner
7/3/2011, 02:38 PM
Yes he was but he was an awful passer. Jamelle on the other hand was an underrated thrower of ze ball. Dude had an arm.

This is correct!

OU-HSV
7/3/2011, 02:46 PM
Damn he was certainly fast. A couple of those plays remind me of highlight reels we see of kids who just dominate other teams.

LePetomaine
7/3/2011, 04:47 PM
Yes he was. Just a shame he threw that talent away. I suppose it was not much of a surprise, though. Talk to anyone from Lawton in the early 80's and they'll tell you that guys like Stacy King were stand up, and very respected. Thompson, though, was a spoiled, entitled brat. Not a shock that he spoke at a grade school one day about not getting into drugs, and the next day he's arrested for dealing. Numb-nut.

Pricetag
7/3/2011, 10:17 PM
Charles made some brutally bad decisions during his time at OU. Blame him for the Sports Illustrated cover, but not for the probation of the late '80s. We were going down regardless.

He was electric on the field, no doubt. I've heard him several times on the radio the last decade, and he seems to have moved past all that stuff. I don't really carry any ill will toward the guy--I thought that was how most folks felt, as well.

texaspokieokie
7/4/2011, 03:25 PM

he may have (?) been a :better athlete" but he certainly was NOT a better wishbone QB than Jamelle !!
:rolleyes:

KantoSooner
7/5/2011, 10:06 AM
And that, boys and girls, was what they called 'The Wishbone'.

I love our offense now, but there is a part of me that misses watching the stark terror of the Dback as he had a gang of olympic class sprinters coming at him in a bunch and the dawning realization that he was 90% sure to make the wrong decision about which one to commit to.

Happy days.

TopDawg
7/5/2011, 04:18 PM

That's why they called him dagoldenarm

brainpimp
7/5/2011, 04:24 PM
And that, boys and girls, was what they called 'The Wishbone'.

I love our offense now, but there is a part of me that misses watching the stark terror of the Dback as he had a gang of olympic class sprinters coming at him in a bunch and the dawning realization that he was 90% sure to make the wrong decision about which one to commit to.

Happy days.

That has to be the post of the day.:D

picasso
7/5/2011, 04:27 PM
That's why they called him dagoldenarm

:D

101sooner
7/5/2011, 04:30 PM
Sometimes I still think about all those elite option QB athletes out there that no one recruits anymore. I think we could get the absolute finest option QB in the land every single year.

Not that I don't understand how crazy good our offense is now, I just think about it when we are going against USC, Texas, 'Bama, Florida, LSU and so on for these elite passing QB's like Gunner when if we were running an option offense, we'd basically have to only beat out Georgia Tech and the service academies for the elite option QB's and those that didn't start we'd make All-American defensive backs out of.

Just thinking out loud.

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2011, 05:03 PM
Sometimes I still think about all those elite option QB athletes out there that no one recruits anymore. I think we could get the absolute finest option QB in the land every single year.

Not that I don't understand how crazy good our offense is now, I just think about it when we are going against USC, Texas, 'Bama, Florida, LSU and so on for these elite passing QB's like DGB when if we were running an option offense, we'd basically have to only beat out Georgia Tech and the service academies for the elite option QB's and those that didn't start we'd make All-American defensive backs out of.

Just thinking out loud.

I loved those wishbone years as much as anyone, but I just don't think it would fly now. Once an elite team like OU does this, conference foes will adjust to stop it - even recruit to stop it. I fully expect GT's initial success to slide now that they are a threat in the ACC. No one is going to do anything special to counter the service academies and just hope they can out-man them.

the-rover
7/6/2011, 01:49 PM
We play Army in 2018 and 2020....I would love to see us line up in the 'bone for these games, even if it was just for a series or two.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/6/2011, 02:09 PM
Yes he was but he was an awful passer. Jamelle on the other hand was an underrated thrower of ze ball. Dude had an arm.Apparently the King thought so little of Thompson's passing ability, that he didn't call even one passing play in the OB game against the Thug-U after the '87 season, until the middle of the 4th quarter. I believe that was our 3rd straight loss to the Thug-U's.

OUVarsityXV
7/6/2011, 03:52 PM
Hopefully his son Kendall will like Charles. A little more scrambling and a little less cocaine.

jdsooner
7/6/2011, 05:08 PM
The wishbone was fun, was it not?

cleller
7/7/2011, 09:06 AM
I can still hear the radio broadcasts:
"It will be second and about 3, Sooners in the wishbone...."

Mad Dog Madsen
7/7/2011, 09:48 AM
Hopefully his son Kendall will like Charles. A little more scrambling and a little less cocaine.

Was that really necessary???

OUVarsityXV
7/7/2011, 01:11 PM
Was that really necessary???

Just joking around. I am sure if it was whorn we were talking about I would have been far too late on the cocaine jokes.

HateTheWhorns
7/8/2011, 10:38 AM

Not that I don't understand how crazy good our offense is now, I just think about it when we are going against USC, Texas, 'Bama, Florida, LSU and so on for these elite passing QB's like Gunner when if we were running an option offense, we'd basically have to only beat out Georgia Tech and the service academies for the elite option QB's and those that didn't start we'd make All-American defensive backs out of.

Just thinking out loud.

I miss those days tremendously and often have the same thoughts, but then I look at how the game has changed over the past 20 yrs and reality sets in. We probably could draw the top option QB each year (just as we were doing back in the '70s and '80s), but I think the talent pool would be much thinner today. Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, probably half of the country's high school programs were running some form of option football (wishbone, veer, wing-T, I-option, etc.). The money is too great in the NFL today and finding a great athlete that is willing to run the offense anymore (by that I mean one with pro aspirations) would be challenging (I think). Then again, it only takes one so what the hell do I know. Here's to dreaming.

Lawton4Life
7/8/2011, 10:50 AM
Being in Norman on a game day you have a good chance of running into both CT and Jamelle. CT has paid his debt to society, has cleaned up and speaks to students about making the right choices in life, something he did not do as a student.

Jamelle on the other hand will ask you and any one around you to buy him a drink because he was the QB in 85. He usually looks like hell, is hanging out with a bunch of losers and has a 50% chance of getting arrested.

Both were fantastic athlethes that brough us joy on the field. Both have fallen from grace. CT looks to have made the best of his second chance...Jamelle is Jamelle. If you've run into him on the corner or at the old O's, you know what i'm talking about.

BillyBall
7/8/2011, 11:26 AM

Classy...