PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma GED laws

MamaMia
7/2/2011, 08:54 PM
Can a 15 year old get a GED in the state of Oklahoma, or is it 16?

nighttrain12
7/2/2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.my-ged.com/ged-testing-programs/oklahoma/default.aspx

16 plus be a resident of Oklahoma and not currently enrolled in a high school.

I was bored so I 'googled' it for you.

yermom
7/3/2011, 02:00 AM
that sounds dumb

why does it matter if you are under 16 or already enrolled?

why should you have to drop out first?

Okla-homey
7/3/2011, 07:29 AM
that sounds dumb

why does it matter if you are under 16 or already enrolled?

why should you have to drop out first?

Politics. Because it wouldn't look good for a public high school if a kid took and passed the GED test while still enrolled in school, but didn't go on to graduate

SoCaliSooner
7/3/2011, 10:05 AM
Politics. Because it wouldn't look good for a public high school if a kid took and passed the GED test while still enrolled in school, but didn't go on to graduate

I would seriously wonder about a states GED exam if a 15 year old could pass it. California's age requirement is 18, 17 if you meet some special criteria. I am guessing it's lower in Ok due to some old farming situations where kids had to forego school to work a family farm.

Few things scream "do not hire" like a GED, regardless of age. Maybe it's different in other places but the police, sheriff and fire departments list a GED as a minimum requirement yet I've never heard of anybody getting a good job with a GED. I am sure there have to be some out there I am sure maybe a kid is so smart they take the GED and then immediately start college courses.

OhU1
7/3/2011, 10:40 AM
GED stands for "good enough diploma". Then after you get your GED you can go to college - community college. Why do they call it community college? Because anyone in the community can get in. A community college is a disco with books. "I'm gonna get my learn on!" - Chris Rock

olevetonahill
7/3/2011, 10:47 AM
I was at a Job fair type deal with my last ex step kid, she did Grad High school.

But I was talking to a recruiter and i asked him his companys position on hiring a GED person over a Reg H.S. Grad

his words . they prefer a GED for the simple fact that usually the kid dropped out, then realized they made a mistake and went back and earned the GED. Where as a reg HS Grad thot they were owed the world.

Dont know if thats true every where, but it made a kinda sense to me.

Viking Kitten
7/3/2011, 10:47 AM
GED, BA and good job right here.

I got a 27 on my ACT my sophomore year of HS and was told by the State Department of Ed. that score coupled with a GED would get me into OU, where I planned to go.

When my parents got divorced soon after that and started moving around (I attended four different high schools between sophomore and junior year) I started caring less and less about high school. When both my parents informed me they were moving again right before my senior year, meaning no matter which parent I chose to live with I'd have to do my senior year in a new school, I said "forget this crap," dropped out, worked full time, took the GED (99th percentile, heh,) and started college with my high school class.

I have never had a problem getting hired anywhere.

OhU1
7/3/2011, 10:51 AM
No one cares what you did in high school once you've got a college degree. Which is good for me because me high school grades were nothing to brag about.

olevetonahill
7/3/2011, 10:53 AM
GED, BA and good job right here.

I got a 27 on my ACT my sophomore year of HS and was told by the State Department of Ed. that score coupled with a GED would get me into OU, where I planned to go.

When my parents got divorced soon after that and started moving around (I attended four different high schools between sophomore and junior year) I started caring less and less about high school. When both my parents informed me they were moving again right before my senior year, meaning no matter which parent I chose to live with I'd have to do my senior year in a new school, I said "forget this crap," dropped out, worked full time, took the GED (99th percentile, heh,) and started college with my high school class.

I have never had a problem getting hired anywhere.

You just an ole smartass aint ya. :cool:

Viking Kitten
7/3/2011, 11:00 AM
You just an ole smartass aint ya. :cool:

Eh... yes and no. When I look back at it, I realize that if I had truly applied myself, I probably could have gone Ivy League. I'd still like to go back in time and smack some sense into 16-year-old me.

olevetonahill
7/3/2011, 11:03 AM
Eh... yes and no. When I look back at it, I realize that if I had truly applied myself, I probably could have gone Ivy League. I'd still like to go back in time and smack some sense into 16-year-old me.

Wouldnt we all, wouldnt we all. :D

Chuck Bao
7/3/2011, 11:08 AM
I really should have skipped my senior year in high school, taken my GED and went straight to the university.

That last year was a complete waste because my high school didn't offer any senior level classes in either math or science. I only had to complete one senior level English class and I got nothing from that. I just had to mess around the rest of the morning and could leave school at lunch time. Community college courses are great and cheap if the credits transfer to the university that you intend to attend. I went to that higher ed center in Ardmore at night to get through some of the basic required classes and that seemed to work out very well for me. Because I got the required credits before graduation my senior year at the university, I used my four-year scholarship to start working on graduate level classes.

I think there are a lot of ways to game the tertiary education system. I would say go to a cheap undergraduate school (including community colleges) and a well-known graduate school and you can still get that good job.

Ctina
7/4/2011, 05:20 AM
GED stands for "good enough diploma". Then after you get your GED you can go to college - community college. Why do they call it community college? Because anyone in the community can get in. A community college is a disco with books. "I'm gonna get my learn on!" - Chris Rock

I'll remember that when I'm treating patients with my community college nursing degree next year. :eek:

Just because anyone can get in, doesn't mean they can do well. The info I'm learning is the same that the people going to OU nursing school are. They are just getting some leadership and management classes to go along with it. And at least for the health degree programs, there are strict requirements to get accepted. Community college does start off kind of like high school, but just like it, you get out of it whatever effort you put into it. It's way cheaper than OU as well.

Okla-homey
7/4/2011, 07:45 AM
Just another data point. The USAF won't enlist someone with a GED and nothing more. GED-holders must have two semesters of JC in addition to a GED to be eligible.

HS diploma holders can enlist with nothing more.

texaspokieokie
7/4/2011, 04:53 PM
I would seriously wonder about a states GED exam if a 15 year old could pass it. California's age requirement is 18, 17 if you meet some special criteria. I am guessing it's lower in Ok due to some old farming situations where kids had to forego school to work a family farm.

Few things scream "do not hire" like a GED, regardless of age. Maybe it's different in other places but the police, sheriff and fire departments list a GED as a minimum requirement yet I've never heard of anybody getting a good job with a GED. I am sure there have to be some out there I am sure maybe a kid is so smart they take the GED and then immediately start college courses.

My nephew was born/raised in Ridgecrest/China Lake. when he was a Jr; all his friends were a year ahead. He took the GED & sterted to college. went a couple semester to jr college in RC, then went to Cal-Riverside. Went all thru @ Riverside (except one year @ UCSB) & obtained a Phd in English.

Now he's a full prof. in WI.
so he must've taken GED @ 17. this would've been in 1981.

i'm not sure if there's a point in here.

SoCaliSooner
7/4/2011, 05:19 PM
My nephew was born/raised in Ridgecrest/China Lake. when he was a Jr; all his friends were a year ahead. He took the GED & sterted to college. went a couple semester to jr college in RC, then went to Cal-Riverside. Went all thru @ Riverside (except one year @ UCSB) & obtained a Phd in English.

Now he's a full prof. in WI.
so he must've taken GED @ 17. this would've been in 1981.

i'm not sure if there's a point in here.

Most successful GED people who are in here basically proved my point. It's only of a benefit if they are jumping right into college and pursuing higher academics. Granted, the public education system is serving up garbage And if a kid is smater than the gardbage education then get out and go to college.

Of the people with GED's that I've met who wanted a fire or police career, all said they wished they would have stayed in school.

pphilfran
7/4/2011, 05:35 PM
What year did the US claim independence from Great Britain...

Overall 58% of total polled knew it was 1776

Only 31% of those under 30 knew the answer...

80% of those 60 and older knew the correct answer...

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/71-independence-day-dummy-seventeen-seventy-when/

C&CDean
7/4/2011, 05:37 PM
9th grade dropout here. GED in the Army when I was 17 (North Carolina).

Community college, then U of Arizona, U of Phoenix, U of Central OK (BS), and finally OU (MHR). It might not have been the best/most traditional route, but my parents never spent a dime on my education, I never spent a dime on my education, and my degrees are in areas that I'm interested in. Also, I never had to do the whole gay-assed dorm living/greek thing and for that, I am truly thankful.

Partial Qualifier
7/4/2011, 06:29 PM
What year did the US claim independence from Great Britain...

Overall 58% of total polled knew it was 1776

Only 31% of those under 30 knew the answer...

80% of those 60 and older knew the correct answer...

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/71-independence-day-dummy-seventeen-seventy-when/

I could answer this when I was 7 but to be fair, it seems most school districts don't teach American independence & revolutionary war-era happenings like they used to. Sadly enough.

yermom
7/4/2011, 07:17 PM
Stay in school kids, or you'll end up like Dean or VK :D

C&CDean
7/4/2011, 07:24 PM
You mean wildly successful and HOTT?

yermom
7/4/2011, 07:28 PM
Unemployed and knocked up :D

C&CDean
7/4/2011, 07:33 PM
5 times, but I'm still hotter than a mother****er, and so is VK.