PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Sports

batonrougesooner
7/2/2011, 07:33 AM
Why is it that ESPN and Sports Illustrated have such huge budgets and a practical army of reporters but it always seems to be Yahoo! Sports who breaks the big stories?

TahoeSOONER
7/2/2011, 08:23 AM
Yahoo! They're truly beating them to the punch with old school journalism. Personally, I'm enjoying them getting it right over a long period of time and putting the facts out there.

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2011, 08:41 AM
ESPN and SI are old guard tools. Yahoo is the maverick. I love them.

GrapevineSooner
7/2/2011, 09:00 AM
Given how the mothership likes to take credit for everything under the sun, I love it when ESPN has to include 'reported by Yahoo! Sports' in their scrolls when Yahoo breaks a story.

pphilfran
7/2/2011, 10:53 AM
Several reasons...

They are smaller and able to move and adjust targets more easily...when they broke the SC deal everybody asked "Yahoo Sports?" if they were wrong what were they risking? Nada

ESPN had a lot to lose...

Yahoo doesn't get the same access to schools that is given to ESPN so they have little to lose...ESPN can go after SC... but... will it effect their future access to the school...

"Hi! We are ESPN,the network that busted your azz and put you on probation and loss of bowl games! How bout letting us into your locker rooms and work closely with a couple of your kids for a week or two?"

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2011, 12:23 PM
In the new ESPN "tell-all" book (right), there is a lot of posturing that ESPN digs deep, going after stories involving the leagues they partner with to broadcast. Lots of "we'll expose them, even though we are in bed with them" commentary.

So much of this bullspoor is mentioned that they obviously give it a great deal of thought whenever a story comes up that might compromise their relationships.

With SUC, there is no NFL team in the LA basin, so any dirt against the marquis team in the largest market in the country has to come from someone else.

In other words, they don't push too hard.

Section 9
7/2/2011, 12:35 PM
With ESPN it's all about money. Theirs.

yankee
7/2/2011, 12:43 PM
Yahoo! They're truly beating them to the punch with old school journalism. Personally, I'm enjoying them getting it right over a long period of time and putting the facts out there.

ESPN and SI are old guard tools. Yahoo is the maverick. I love them.

Given how the mothership likes to take credit for everything under the sun, I love it when ESPN has to include 'reported by Yahoo! Sports' in their scrolls when Yahoo breaks a story.

My thoughts exactly. Love it!

Saul Good
7/3/2011, 09:30 AM
The way I see it, ESPN likes to make the news and not report it.

Dio
7/5/2011, 09:59 AM
Several reasons...

They are smaller and able to move and adjust targets more easily...when they broke the SC deal everybody asked "Yahoo Sports?" if they were wrong what were they risking? Nada

ESPN had a lot to lose...

Yahoo doesn't get the same access to schools that is given to ESPN so they have little to lose...ESPN can go after SC... but... will it effect their future access to the school...

"Hi! We are ESPN,the network that busted your azz and put you on probation and loss of bowl games! How bout letting us into your locker rooms and work closely with a couple of your kids for a week or two?"

Which is why the longhorn network makes me shudder for more reasons than just my hatred of texas. Back in '08 the WWL was all over the whorns nuts on the 3 way tie and that was before this deal was even on the table.

SoonerAtKU
7/5/2011, 10:03 AM
ESPN is out of the investigative business now that they own so much airtime and have negotiated TV deals with so many interests. You can't honestly tell me that they would blow up a huge story if it would damage ratings on something like a National Championship game.

Sure, they'll break big trades or signings or things like that that drive interest in the sport, but why would they kill the cash cow by slinging indictments at all of their business partners?

Yahoo don't broadcast no games, so they don't care.

JLEW1818
7/5/2011, 10:03 AM
ESPN breaks just about any NFL story.. so it seems

SoonerAtKU
7/5/2011, 10:08 AM
ESPN breaks trades, injuries, arrests, and signings. That's it. They have people inside the NFL teams who provide that information. When was the last time they broke a "scandal" about one of their business partners?

rekamrettuB
7/5/2011, 10:12 AM
Don't bite the hand that feeds.

JLEW1818
7/5/2011, 10:13 AM
ESPN breaks trades, injuries, arrests, and signings. That's it. They have people inside the NFL teams who provide that information. When was the last time they broke a "scandal" about one of their business partners?

yah, that's what i was meaning

badger
7/5/2011, 10:21 AM
Which is why the longhorn network makes me shudder for more reasons than just my hatred of texas. Back in '08 the WWL was all over the whorns nuts on the 3 way tie and that was before this deal was even on the table.

I could see Yahoo or another upstart targeting Texas for dirt because of this deal, just because ESPN is now in bed with them Hook em

Breadburner
7/5/2011, 10:50 AM
ESPN is full of talking heads and fellators.....