PDA

View Full Version : Oregon is in hot water, but good

Phil
7/1/2011, 01:24 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-robinson_scout_details_deal_oregon_kelly_070111

SoonerNomad
7/1/2011, 01:35 PM
Wow! What a read. This quote jumped out at me.

“I look back at it now and they paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits,” Lyles said. “The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should … I made a mistake and I’m big enough of a man to admit I was wrong.”

I am definitely tired of the bad news surrounding college football. As a fan I hate to see anyone getting in trouble, but I am glad to see reporters following through on some rumors and getting information. The only way this stops is to increase the inevitablity of getting caught.

I hope this isn't as bad as this quote sounds. Despite the 2006 debacle in Eugene and the hideous uniforms, I have enjoyed watching Oregon's growth in college football. I like the style of play and the overall style. This is not good.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 01:42 PM
I say **** em, and let em burn. ****in cheaters...

SoonerPride
7/1/2011, 01:45 PM
The rise of programs like Oregon is always suspect IMHO.

You don't go from sucking forever to being a title contender without cheating along the way.

The Maestro
7/1/2011, 01:46 PM
, I have enjoyed watching Oregon's growth in college football. I like the style of play and the overall style. This is not good.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l296/TXSooner518/HELLODIPSH1TS.jpg

Rot. In. Hell. Oregon.

cleller
7/1/2011, 01:59 PM
I hope Phil Knight is urinating in his over-priced Nikes.

Oh, and your whole uniform thing is sissy.

BigTip
7/1/2011, 02:00 PM
Rot. In. Hell. Oregon.

This.

trueou
7/1/2011, 02:18 PM
Lyles comes across as a very likeable guy who is in way over his head. He is being smart here in not being complicit in any coverup. But his business plan has been kind of shot to heck.

SunnySooner
7/1/2011, 02:19 PM
Rot. In. Hell. Oregon.

NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE!!!!

Gaawwd, that picture still makes me throw up in mouth every time I see it.

"BUT, BUT....WE'VE GOT THE BALL!!!!!!"

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2011, 02:21 PM
NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE!!!!

The refs, right?

SunnySooner
7/1/2011, 02:26 PM
The refs, right?

Refs, university, NCAA, all of 'em. They shoulda forfeited. Apologized. Sent Bob some rosebushes for his backyard, SOMETHING. It just made me soooo MAD. It was so OBVIOUSLY UNFAIR. And then the next bad call on the tipped ball/interference. Ugh, what a sucky game that was.

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2011, 02:32 PM
Refs, university, NCAA, all of 'em. They shoulda forfeited. Apologized. Sent Bob some rosebushes for his backyard, SOMETHING. It just made me soooo MAD. It was so OBVIOUSLY UNFAIR. And then the next bad call on the tipped ball/interference. Ugh, what a sucky game that was.

Both mistakes were the refs. Had the situation been reversed, we would have played on just like the Ducks did and we would not have forfeited. And that's because it's the only thing you can do. The Pac10 refs did apologize and suspend that crew and that's all they really can do. Yes, it was a "life's not fair situation", so hate the world if it makes you feel better.

silverwheels
7/1/2011, 02:39 PM
I guess since the NCAA is such a joke of an organization Yahoo! has to do all of their work for them. Is there even any point to the NCAA anymore? This is getting ridiculous.

SchuBear
7/1/2011, 03:04 PM
I remember making this Fark at the time...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5186/ref3b.jpg

boomersooner001
7/1/2011, 03:23 PM
NCAA might as well hire Yahoo Sports to do their investigations

silverwheels
7/1/2011, 03:24 PM
NCAA might as well hire Yahoo Sports to do their investigations

But then they would have an excuse to be corrupt, incompetent hypocrites anymore.

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 04:29 PM
Both mistakes were the refs. Had the situation been reversed, we would have played on just like the Ducks did and we would not have forfeited. And that's because it's the only thing you can do. The Pac10 refs did apologize and suspend that crew and that's all they really can do. Yes, it was a "life's not fair situation", so hate the world if it makes you feel better.

You sure you're a Sooner? I swear....Everybody in Sports knows we got screwed. It's a known fact that that was the 3rd time in a row they would of lost and they couldn't handle it. Our boys played their asses off and got screwed. I have no proof of how deep all of that went but it's pretty obvious the Ref did more than make a mistake. His actions in the months and years after that pretty much have convinced me that there was a fix in and that if it was possible to blow close calls in a close game....it was going to be done.

It's one of the blackest days in Football and now that there is replay...I dare say the play would have gone our way.

silverwheels
7/1/2011, 04:36 PM
They used replay in that game and still got the calls wrong.

Peach Fuzz
7/1/2011, 04:47 PM
You sure you're a Sooner? I swear....Everybody in Sports knows we got screwed. It's a known fact that that was the 3rd time in a row they would of lost and they couldn't handle it. Our boys played their asses off and got screwed. I have no proof of how deep all of that went but it's pretty obvious the Ref did more than make a mistake. His actions in the months and years after that pretty much have convinced me that there was a fix in and that if it was possible to blow close calls in a close game....it was going to be done.

It's one of the blackest days in Football and now that there is replay...I dare say the play would have gone our way.

Have to agree with you. Seeing his person, not just during and right after our game, and his before and after history makes scenario that he got compensated for his 'bad calls' and 'mistakes'. Yes I'm saying he was probably paid before.

There's no way Phil would know the types of opportunities that the refs would be able to manipulate. And seeing how bad they were and pretty much looked set up, you bet your *** he helped them while they were suspended/jobless.
That game 'put' them on the map. :O

tcrb
7/1/2011, 04:58 PM
They used replay in that game and still got the calls wrong.

Yep. That's what made it so obvious that it was a fix. The video evidence was completely clear on all three of those bad calls in the waning moments of that game, but the entire crew refused to make the right call. Iknow they wont, but I wish the cheaters would get the death penalty.

BigTip
7/1/2011, 05:12 PM
I am thinking about suing for emotional distress. I think I have a case.

That game, on top of the screw job in Lubbock with the two calls that went against us that time, got me so gun shy whenever anything went for replay review. I just knew every decision was going to go against us. I felt snake bit for so long, still do actually.

Yup, I think I have a case.

And to BoulderSooner79, let me remind you that this is an OU fan site, not a reasonable discussion of what happened! ;)

Curly Bill
7/1/2011, 05:22 PM

You don't go from sucking forever to being a title contender without cheating along the way.

100% agree, and have said so before on this board.

Peach Fuzz
7/1/2011, 05:25 PM

Isn't that only partially true? All it takes is a sugar daddy and you have potential. Kids these days want the flashy and fancy, **** tradition. They want all the attention they can get, and if it comes with neon sign-jerseys, you made their pick easier.

Curly Bill
7/1/2011, 05:29 PM
Isn't that only partially true? All it takes is a sugar daddy and you have potential. Kids these days want the flashy and fancy, **** tradition. They want all the attention they can get, and if it comes with neon sign-jerseys, you made their pick easier.

Oregon didn't get good in a big ol hurry because they've got some funky uniforms. Kids these days are pretty shallow, but not that shallow. Kids these days do like em some $$$$$, and other cool, though perhaps illegal benefits.

silverwheels
7/1/2011, 05:33 PM
It's not like this kind of stuff is only going on at Oregon, though.

Curly Bill
7/1/2011, 05:35 PM
It's not like this kind of stuff is only going on at Oregon, though.

No question at all about that!!!!

ouduckhunter
7/1/2011, 05:37 PM

Rot. In. Hell. Oregon.

Ditto!!! I hate them so much!! I would love to see their program go down in flames big time, just like USC!!! If it happens, I'm gonna have a front row seat to watch it!!

Mississippi Sooner
7/1/2011, 07:06 PM
This is starting to make me happy. When this story first came out, Oregon looked dirty, but it seemed like such a circunstantial case that I was sure it would go nowhere. Now, with the man in the middle coming out and making a sort of deathbed confession, I'm thinking we might see justice after all.

Williesan
7/1/2011, 07:14 PM
I remember making this Fark at the time...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5186/ref3b.jpg

David Cutaya. He called a Talons game up here a few weeks ago. He was terrible from the get-go. Called the opposing team Jacksonville (we were playing Utah). They also missed several calls in the game that were just blatantly bad. I'm surprised he even got past the state line in the first place after that craptacular 2006 day in Eugene.

I thought he was the worst ref in the AFL... until Shaun Hochuli's (yes, the son of Ed.) crew showed up last week. :(

Excuse me... gotta... barf... <BAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRFFFFF> now. :mad:

Williesan

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2011, 07:23 PM

Am I a Sooner, let me check. Born and raised in Oklahoma and graduated OU, so I think so. Did I say anywhere we didn't get screwed? It was the worst screw job I can remember - and I'm talking about all college games, not just OU. But I don't believe in conspiracy theories and to direct the rage at Oregon seems silly. The ref (or refs) should have been fired, but there was no way to un-ring that bell once the damage was done. And as I've said, had the screw job gone the other way, OU (or any team) would have continued to play because it's all they could do. Now if there was *proof* of a fix, then yes, I'd say the beneficiary of said fix should forfeit.

tommieharris91
7/1/2011, 07:26 PM

Gordon Riese is waving at you with his too-feeble-to-press-rewind hands.

Salt City Sooner
7/1/2011, 10:25 PM

Oregon's been quite good for a while now. Not OU/Bama/USC good mind you, but they've been in that next tier who has occasionally put together a season that put them in the NC conversation (i.e. 2001 when most feel they got screwed out of a shot at Miami). They started coming to life at the end of Brooks' tenure (Rose Bowl his last year, 1994) & it picked up steam under Belotti.

85sooners
7/1/2011, 11:14 PM
****em!

goingoneight
7/1/2011, 11:25 PM
The thing that irritated me the MOST about that "loss," was the fact that EVERYONE said they wouldn't hold the "loss" against OU.

Okay, then... if indeed that was true, at the end of the year we had a one-loss Michigan team (who lost to BCS title game lock, undefeated tOSU)... so Wolverines are out. It comes down to Urban Cryer versus a team that only lost to the DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Now, I know how it all played out. Florida was buh-dass and won it all and we got beat in the Fiasco Bowl. Buuuuut, if that "loss" was "vacated" as they said it would be as far as voting was concerned, we'd have been in serious contention after beating Nebraska. Remember, this was long before the string of five consecutive SEC National Championships... so the whole "SEC dominates x-number of MNCs" is out.

I think OU would have beaten tOSU, too. Especially with AD back.

oudavid1
7/1/2011, 11:28 PM
Oregon didnt cheat. The referees messed up. Badly. Oregon benefited. But if it had happened to Oklahoma, we wouldnt say anything. Im over it.

agoo758
7/1/2011, 11:40 PM
I take solace in the fact that the game didnt really affect our standing in the postseason.

Football Jim
7/1/2011, 11:57 PM

Rot. In. Hell. Oregon.

That picture makes me as mad today as when it happened. $#*@ the ducks!

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2011, 12:01 AM
May they rot in hell, anyone got Byng Sooner's Lyin Eyes handy?

SoonerofAlabama
7/2/2011, 12:18 AM
May they rot in hell, anyone got Byng Sooner's Lyin Eyes handy?

Lyin' Eyes (Gordon Reise version)
Pac 10 guys just seem to find out early
How to overlook the ball within a pile
A rich old man
And the home team won't have to worry
He'll dress up in zebra stripes and go in style

Late in the game, the replay booth gets lonely
I guess ev'ry form of referee has his price
And it breaks our sooner heart to think that call was
given to a team whose mascot quacks and flies

So he tells us that he only saw one angle
And the tech beside him couldn't hit rewind
But he knows he's a lyin', cheatin' crackhead
ANd the SOoners have exposed his *** this time

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your viewing angle is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin eyes

On the other side of the field a team is waiting
with sure hands and 13 point lead they had it won
They played the on-side kick just like they should have
But Gordon screwed the game up just for fun

The ball rushes to Patricks arms,
They fall together
We were interfed after 8 yards by a duck
The replay showed the world what was the right call
But Gordo and Cutaia didn't give a (pause) crud!!!

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
There ain't no way to hide you lyin' eyes

The excuses pile up and the dust settles
Gordon understands it's not gonna' fly
This time he has screweed up with the wrong team
So he watches ESPN and begins to cry

he wonders how it ever got this crazy
He thinks about the coach he knew in school
Did he get fired or did he just get suspended?
He's so far gone he feels just like a fool

My, oh my, you sure know how to arrange things
You set it up so well, so carefully
Ain't it funny how the replay didn't change things
You're still the same old cheat you used to be

You can't hide your lyin eyes
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes
Gordon, you can't hide your lyin' eyes

tulsaoilerfan
7/2/2011, 02:26 AM
Oregon didn't get good in a big ol hurry because they've got some funky uniforms. Kids these days are pretty shallow, but not that shallow. Kids these days do like em some $$$$$, and other cool, though perhaps illegal benefits.

Kids seem to like Ho's, but i guess that's always been the case :D

vtsooner21
7/2/2011, 05:20 AM
Certainly, I'm also hurt by those calls in the Oregon game that were so wrong it puked me. But I'm thinking in that particular game, it should not ever have led to one or two horrific calls. The Sooners really-really need to go in to every game with the smashmouth mindset. Never let the game be determined by allowing a turn around on these calls. Oh, to have a field full of Bosworths...Or perhaps Lewises this year?
Boomer

picasso
7/2/2011, 07:26 AM
Oregon didnt cheat. The referees messed up. Badly. Oregon benefited. But if it had happened to Oklahoma, we wouldnt say anything. Im over it.
What were you 9 when that happened?;)

I'm over it but I will never forgive or forget. **** that.

We were screwed royally on more than one play. It was amateur night in Dixie.

AlbqSooner
7/2/2011, 08:28 AM

Keith Stansberry was IN!!!:mad:

AlbqSooner
7/2/2011, 08:28 AM
^^^ Some of the pups around here are wondering what the old fart is ranting about.:D

Breadburner
7/2/2011, 08:50 AM
Oregon a fart in the wind...What ****ing joke with there bull**** gimmicky jersey's.....**** em......

BoulderSooner79
7/2/2011, 09:59 AM
The thing that irritated me the MOST about that "loss," was the fact that EVERYONE said they wouldn't hold the "loss" against OU...

Problem is that the computers didn't make that pledge (and "EVERYONE" were a bunch of liars). We also got jobbed in the RR game because that lateral returned for a TD was really a forward pass. We had little chance of winning at that point, but still a chance and it made the score look much worse than the game. It was the year of the ref, I guess.

The bummer for me at the duck game was getting the FG blocked on the last play. Had we beaten them in spite of the refs best effort, it would have been EPIC!

Williesan
7/2/2011, 10:49 AM
Keith Stanberry was IN!!!:mad:

Fixed it for ya. ;)

But, yes - he was in. And if we had replay in 1984...

101sooner
7/2/2011, 02:04 PM
^^^ Some of the pups around here are wondering what the old fart is ranting about.:D

http://img84.exs.cx/img84/6585/kstansmall.jpg

SoonerDood
7/2/2011, 02:39 PM
Problem is that the computers didn't make that pledge (and "EVERYONE" were a bunch of liars). We also got jobbed in the RR game because that lateral returned for a TD was really a forward pass. We had little chance of winning at that point, but still a chance and it made the score look much worse than the game. It was the year of the ref, I guess.

The bummer for me at the duck game was getting the FG blocked on the last play. Had we beaten them in spite of the refs best effort, it would have been EPIC!

Herbie said after the game, "we'll treat it like a win for OU." Three months later he said, "I'd put the Sooners in the National Championship against Ohio State, but they have two losses." So much for that. :mad:

Pricetag
7/3/2011, 04:35 PM
Nope, Oregon didn't cheat--the Pac 10 did. They wanted a win by somebody other than USC over a team like OU awfully, awfully badly.

Oregon is guilty by association. I'll never be able to hear or see of them and not think about that game--nor will I cease to be amused when bad things happen to them.

I also think officials are scared ****less to upset a rowdy crowd like that--it bit us in Lubbock in 2005, as well. That ref couldn't wait to signal the touchdown on that one play where the receiver didn't actually catch the ball.

BoulderSooner79
7/3/2011, 06:07 PM
Nope, Oregon didn't cheat--the Pac 10 did. They wanted a win by somebody other than USC over a team like OU awfully, awfully badly.

Oregon is guilty by association...

Spek! You are honest and admit your bias is not rational. Also, your observation about being influenced by the home crowd is spot on. Refs are human and feel the mass emotion like anyone else. But *good* refs know this and tune it out and believe their eyes. We were the victim of conference bias, caving to the home crowd and EXTREME INCOMPETENCE that day.