PDA

View Full Version : The new Big 12 website

IndySooner
7/1/2011, 11:53 AM
They've done everything they can do, and rightfully so, to hide the fact that Nebraska and Colorado ever were a part of things. Even the baseball and softball standings have already moved to 2012, thus making Nebraska disappear.

I still don't think this conference will survive past 2013 or so. We'll see.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 11:58 AM
No CCG is going to suck...it'll be ok for now though. I sure hope we can get some teams to replace them, if not we'll join the Pac 12 or SEC or just be ****ed....

cjames317
7/1/2011, 04:23 PM
Dan Beebe explains everything, from SB Nation:

TO: His Excellency, DeLoss Dodds
His Vice-Excellency, Joe Castiglione
His Red-Headed Excellency, Bill Byrne
The Seven Dwarves

DATE: June 31 July 1, 2011

SUBJECT: Conference Right-Sizing and Our Future

It has come to my attention that there are still some questions about the departures today of Nebraska and whatever that other school that left is called.

Particularly, much of the uncertainty appears to center on the new rules for choosing a conference champion and BCS participants, as well as the future
of the Big 12. I will take each of those in turn.

First, the rules for the conference championship decision are clear. The team with the best record will automatically become the Big 12 Champion. If
there is a tie for the conference championship, and one of the teams involved in that tie is Texas, then Texas will be the conference champion for that year. If there is a tie for the conference championship, and one of the teams involved in that tie is not Texas, then Texas will be the conference
champions for that year. This was in sub-sub-sub paragraph 1.x.5.4.w.2 of the new contract you all signed.

As for national titles, the contract is again clear: If Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech wins the national title, the official conference records will recognize 15 percent of the title as belonging to Texas, 10 percent of the title as belonging to Oklahoma and 5 percent of the title as belonging to Texas A&M. If you don't like this, DeLoss Dodds reminds you that you agreed to this so that he would support the continuance of your miserable existence. (I personally don't remember any of this, because as you will all recall, I was mostly playing "Angry Birds" during the contract negotiations. And I finally beat level 15! I know you were all waiting to find out about that.)

As for our future -- I want to reiterate that a 10-team Big 12 is just fine with me, especially since it means that all our of schools get a bigger piece of the conference pie. And by that, I mean Texas gets a bigger piece of the conference pie. However, we will continue to strategically pursue strong opportunities that will better position the Big 12 in the college football marketplace when they arise. (See all the buzzwords I got in there? That means it's an important sentence.) I will keep you all informed of any potential candidates for Big 12 members. Once DeLoss Dodds tells me it's okay.

Dan Beebe

badger
7/1/2011, 05:39 PM
Did they redesign the logo? Maybe we can borrow the one with the 12 in it?

http://chronicle.com/img/photos/biz/BigTen_11-12-13-14-15.jpg

SoonerofAlabama
7/1/2011, 05:41 PM
Did they redesign the logo? Maybe we can borrow the one with the 12 in it?

http://chronicle.com/img/photos/biz/BigTen_11-12-13-14-15.jpg

Not 5, not 6, not 7...Just 12 or 16 or 10...

goingoneight
7/1/2011, 11:41 PM
I think the conference just lacks quality behind one and two from a traditional standpoint. Maybe that'll lead to someone like A&M or OSU becoming a powerhouse team within the conference, but it definitely stings and swells up the image of the BIG 12's strength come voting time. Would not shock me at all to see a Wisconsin or an Oregon edge OU in the BCS sometime in the future due to perception.

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2011, 12:14 AM
Dan Beebe is a gawd-damned idiot. We should have gone with the PAC. Now we are stuck cowtowing to the damn whorns and t booger state.

MojoRisen
7/2/2011, 07:58 AM
We could have landed SMU and TCU

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2011, 08:20 AM
We have enough damned texans.

1890MilesToNorman
7/2/2011, 08:28 AM
Why not go independent if the conference collapses?

oklaclarinet
7/2/2011, 02:11 PM
The sad thing is that I was just looking at the website, and I was looking under the menu for championships. I kept trying to find football and after a few seconds it finally hit me...

oklaclarinet
7/2/2011, 02:23 PM
The sad thing is that I was just looking at the website, and I was looking under the menu for championships. I kept trying to find football and after a few seconds it finally hit me...

And the bad thing about not having a championship page for football, is that, as far as I can tell, there is no place on the website that mentions the history of that championship. On the championship pages for basketball, baseball, etc., they list the champion for the sport each year. For the two sports that have eliminated the championship game (or tournament), football and softball, there is no longer a history of those championships. Of course, it's funny that those are two sports that OU has done well in (7 football, 4 softball).

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2011, 02:32 PM
Nice shot on the home page of our baseball fellas.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2011, 02:35 PM
And the bad thing about not having a championship page for football, is that, as far as I can tell, there is no place on the website that mentions the history of that championship. On the championship pages for basketball, baseball, etc., they list the champion for the sport each year. For the two sports that have eliminated the championship game (or tournament), football and softball, there is no longer a history of those championships. Of course, it's funny that those are two sports that OU has done well in (7 football, 4 softball).

Under football standings, you can call up all the previous season records and results.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2011, 02:37 PM
TV Schedule so far, per the Big XII site:

Sat, Sep 03 Oklahoma Tulsa Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m. FX

Sat, Sep 17 Florida State Oklahoma Bobby Bowden Field/Doak S. Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee, Fla. TBA ABC or ESPN

* Sat, Sep 24 Oklahoma Missouri Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m. FX

Sat, Oct 01 Oklahoma Ball State Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, Okla. TBA

* Sat, Oct 08 Texas Oklahoma Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas 11:00 a.m. ABC

* Sat, Oct 15 Kansas Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, Kan. TBA

* Sat, Oct 22 Oklahoma Texas Tech Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, Okla. TBA

* Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State Oklahoma Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, Kan. TBA

* Sat, Nov 05 Oklahoma Texas A&M Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, Okla. TBA

* Sat, Nov 19 Baylor Oklahoma Floyd Casey Stadium, Waco, Texas TBA

* Sat, Nov 26 Oklahoma Iowa State Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m. FX

* Sat, Dec 03 Oklahoma State Oklahoma Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, Okla. TBA ABC

silverwheels
7/2/2011, 02:55 PM
We could have landed SMU and TCU

That would have been an example of expanding for the sake of expanding. Neither team would have added enough to the revenue pot to offset how much they take from it.

Whet
7/2/2011, 06:29 PM
BYU and Notre Dame - 2015 new members of the Big XII.

usaosooner
7/4/2011, 12:17 PM
There will not be another Texas school added to this league

King Crimson
7/4/2011, 12:30 PM
the old website was crap.

delhalew
7/4/2011, 01:00 PM
Why not go independent if the conference collapses?

Exactly. We have no cause for concern.

kelloggOUballa
7/6/2011, 09:35 AM
BYU and Notre Dame - 2015 new members of the Big XII.

This. The Big 12 will be fine as long as OU and Texas are in it. Plain and simple.

I Am Right
7/6/2011, 09:36 AM
Actually, I think this league will be around for a while and be good!

Bourbon St Sooner
7/6/2011, 09:56 AM
Can we still laugh at the Pac whatever for getting stuck with the cluster**** that is Colorado?

SoonerNomad
7/6/2011, 12:21 PM
Did any of you happen to catch the Big Ten Network's weekend welcoming of Nebraska to the league. I caught parts of a replay of an Orange Bowl in the mid 90's where Nebraska beat Miami to win the national title. It seems the Big Ten has now adopted NU's championship history as their own. That's an easy way to rewrite the record books.

mightysooner
7/7/2011, 01:34 AM
I think the Big XII will be just fine and eventually expand back to 12 teams only they won't be as ****ty as NU and CU. I'd like to see BYU, WVU or Pitt join to get out of the crappy Big East. Take two of those teams and put them in the North and let's get it on.

silverwheels
7/7/2011, 10:19 AM
Pitt would be useless. People don't even show up to their games when they're good.

ThinMan
7/7/2011, 12:53 PM
That would have been an example of expanding for the sake of expanding. Neither team would have added enough to the revenue pot to offset how much they take from it.

At some point that revenue for the Big 12 CCG will become enticing again as the threat of less interest heightens the possibility of relegating the conference to a Big East level. Having 12 teams, just for the sake of it will become a real desire at that point just to build up interest to networks.

Also TCU would probably be a good pickup anyway. As much as I don't carr to see another Texas school, they are one that has a following right now as a powerful team, and they built this up over the years.

I'm skeptical of getting a Notre Dame, Cinncinnati, or West Virginia as they would have major burdens to travel for those away games. More than likely we are looking at a school closer and of those there are slim pickings. Colorado State, Air Force, Louisville, Wyoming. And maybe even some of these will be a problem

silverwheels
7/7/2011, 06:26 PM
The conference is fine as is for now, and at least until the current TV contract expires (in 3 years, I think). I'm sure TCU would love to be in the Big 12, but I'm not sure Texas or any of the other schools south of the Red River would love for them to be in the Big 12.

And I'm also skeptical of getting those schools, and you're right: the other possibilities in our region are not overwhelming.

OU_Sooners75
7/7/2011, 10:16 PM
Look for BYU to join the conference in a couple/few of years. Their going to independent status only makes that more logical addition to the big 12 now.

SoonerofAlabama
7/7/2011, 10:18 PM
Look for BYU to join the conference in a couple/few of years. Their going to independent status only makes that more logical addition to the big 12 now.

Anyone remember Craig James suggesting the Big XII go after Boise State and Arkansas?

OU_Sooners75
7/7/2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone remember Craig James suggesting the Big XII go after Boise State and Arkansas?

Arkansas will never show up. Too much money in the SEC.

Boise State? NO! They are a small school with little money and sorry sports...even football.

I could see the Big 12 taking BYU and another team like Air Force or another school that is not in the TV market that the Big 12 already has covered.

But yes, I remember the tool named Craig James mentioning that.