PDA

View Full Version : you might be an Okie if...

ouwino
6/30/2011, 05:29 PM
You are 100% Oklahoman if:

1. You can properly pronounce Eufaula,Gotebo, Okemah,Waurika, Weleetka, Wewoka, Wetumka and Chickasha .
2. You think that people who complain about the wind in their states are sissies.
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
4. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
6. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
7. Stores don't have bags, they have sacks.
8. You see people wear bib overalls at funerals.
9. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
10. You measure distance in minutes. ("I'm about 5 minutes away.")
11. You refer to the capital of Oklahoma as "The City."
12. It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
13. Little smokies are something you serve only for special occasions.
14. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.
15. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
16. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
17. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
18. You have known someone who has had one belt buckle bigger than your fist.
19. A bad traffic jam involves two drivers staring each other at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.
20. You know in which state "Miam-uh" is and in which state "Miam-ee" is.
21. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.
22. Your "place at the lake" has wheels under it.
23. A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F350 4x4 is.
24. You know everything goes better with Ranch.
25. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
26. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin" to send them to your friends..
27. Finally, you are 100% Oklahoman if you have ever heard this conversation:
"You wanna Coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."

cantwait48
6/30/2011, 05:33 PM
yes to all except not so much on the ranch dressin

-Little smokies are something you serve only for special occasions.
this is a good one and very true in my family

Breadburner
6/30/2011, 05:37 PM
I have never in all my years in Oklahoma heard anyone call anything other than a coke a coke....I have traveled all over this state and know all kinds of folks from all walks of life.....

MsProudSooner2
6/30/2011, 05:49 PM
1. You can properly pronounce Eufaula,Gotebo, Okemah,Waurika, Weleetka, Wewoka, Wetumka and Chickasha .

Not only can I pronounce them, I have been to most of them.

MelloYello
6/30/2011, 05:52 PM
5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

This.

tcrb
6/30/2011, 06:16 PM
#3 is so true. When I lived in MN, that is exactly what I did when I was attending a party at a friends house. The sirens went off and everyone else headed for the basement. They asked me what the hell I was doing. I replied "I'm from Oklahoma, we dont go to the basement unless we see a funnel".

Pants
6/30/2011, 06:18 PM
I am 100% Okie.

ouwino
6/30/2011, 06:20 PM
#3 is so true. When I lived in MN, that is exactly what I did when I was attending a party at a friends house. The sirens went off and everyone else headed for the basement. They asked me what the hell I was doing. I replied "I'm from Oklahoma, we dont go to the basement unless we see a funnel".

funny

ouwino
6/30/2011, 06:21 PM
I have never in all my years in Oklahoma heard anyone call anything other than a coke a coke....I have traveled all over this state and know all kinds of folks from all walks of life.....

sorry, i have heard it lots of times

SunnySooner
6/30/2011, 06:21 PM
LOL, reminds me of a time we were in Tulsa. We went to dinner at around 6, it was in the upper 70's in November, I think. Beautiful weather, we were enjoying our short sleeves. We came out of the restaurant about 9 and it was snowing. Almost 50 degree temp drop in less than 3 hours. The short sleeves didn't feel so good anymore.

soonerchk
6/30/2011, 06:38 PM
27. Finally, you are 100% Oklahoman if you have ever heard this conversation:
"You wanna Coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."

Told you so.

And I wish more people would have the common decency to use #17 more often. We lost to A&M in 2002 because my brother just had to get married at the same time as kickoff...

diverdog
6/30/2011, 06:46 PM
Told you so.

And I wish more people would have the common decency to use #17 more often. We lost to A&M in 2002 because my brother just had to get married at the same time as kickoff...

My sister got married on the year we beat Nebraska under Gibbs. Mom watch half the game before the ceremony. Rushed out to the hotel after the wedding and proceeded to see the end of the game. My sister was furious with her. Mom lucked out because my sisters husband turned out to be a d*ck and divorced her in 10 months. Mom saw it coming and decided the game was the better option.

Memtig14
6/30/2011, 06:57 PM
I am 100% Okie........done 'em all.

And this is so true.......I never thought a thing about it.

Finally, you are 100% Oklahoman if you have ever heard this conversation:
"You wanna Coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."

DIB
6/30/2011, 07:02 PM
Apparently, I am only 50% Okie. Perhaps you have to be from rural Oklahoma to get all 27.

GKeeper316
6/30/2011, 07:03 PM
been here since 84, but i guess i'm 100% okie...

great list. spot on.

yermom
6/30/2011, 07:16 PM
that "20 minutes away" thing is more serious in the DFW and LA areas than here

and whoever wrote that has never been in Norman on gameday

jumperstop
6/30/2011, 07:16 PM
Some of those are a bit off, but still funny. And I call all soda coke most of the time...

Memtig14
6/30/2011, 07:30 PM
Some of those are a bit off, but still funny. And I call all soda coke most of the time...

I never even heard the term "soda" until I was out of college and my brother came back from California.

But, some people did call it soda pop.....but never just soda. It was always Coke.

SoonerofAlabama
6/30/2011, 07:31 PM
I pray there isn't an Alabama one of these.

jumperstop
6/30/2011, 07:55 PM
I never even heard the term "soda" until I was out of college and my brother came back from California.

But, some people did call it soda pop.....but never just soda. It was always Coke.

I kinda picked up soda from my step mom who went school at MSU...But most of time it's coke.

lexsooner
6/30/2011, 08:30 PM
I thought this list would have something about Okies knowing the B.C. Clarke Anniversary Sale jingle.

you might be an Okie if:

You know what the Daily Disappointment is.

You've heard the urban legend about one of the Mathis Brothers furniture brothers having a gerbil removed from his butt.

You are used to each local tv station having the most state of the art weather equipment.

You consider Oklahoma families which made their fortunes in the early to mid 1900s to be "old money."

You wonder if Bob Barry, Linda Cavanaugh or Gary England will ever leave the air.

You probably were not born yet the last time a Democrat carried Oklahoma in a Presidential election (1964).

You are always surprised how good the roads are in other states when you travel.

You don't think surnames such as Mankiller or Walking Stick are particularly unusual.

You know those rich folks have had their own gambling den in Nichols Hills for many years.

You don't find it unusual for a state to have four federal judicial districts and about one college in every county.

Memtig14
6/30/2011, 08:33 PM
Another good list

AlboSooner
6/30/2011, 08:37 PM
You're an Okie if you as such. Lolotrolol

GKeeper316
6/30/2011, 08:40 PM
say "fixin to"

okie52
6/30/2011, 09:39 PM
If you go fishing without a pole.

Think pump jacks are landscaping.

Thinks 500 school districts are normal.

Knows the "land of the Red Man"

Finds the Ogles on every station.

Remembers the "working man's friend".

hawaii 5-0
6/30/2011, 09:50 PM
I get kidded alot for saying, "Way-ell Heck !!"

It's really funny when the Filipinos imitate my twang.

5-0

Trump/ Rolando 2012

hawaii 5-0
6/30/2011, 09:54 PM
No mention of Foreman Scotty, 3D Danny or Gusty?

Anyone remember Standing Rock near Stigler?

5-0

Trump/ Alan Merrill 2012

65Mustang
6/30/2011, 10:09 PM
Apparently, I am only 50% Okie. Perhaps you have to be from rural Oklahoma to get all 27.
It is your sophisticated Henryetta ancestry that keeps you from being pure Okie...

SpankyNek
6/30/2011, 10:16 PM
...you know that the real Devil's Den ain't in Arkansas.

...you know that real Okies live in Californy...Oklahomans live here.

...you have pride in your home state and dream of returning there some day.

...you have to pause a second when someone asks you if there are any National Parks in Oklahoma, and you almost mention Platt.

..You know exactly who Tall Paul is.

delhalew
6/30/2011, 10:25 PM
Side note...my Dad will threaten you physically if you call him an Okie. He will sternly inform you that "his people never left Oklahoma, and you should put some thought into what you're saying before someone removes that head you refuse to use".

True story.

SpankyNek
6/30/2011, 10:26 PM
Side note...my Dad will threaten you physically if you call him an Okie. He will sternly inform you that his people never left Oklahoma, and you should put some thought into what your saying before someone removed that head you refuse to use.

True story.

Yep, Okie is definitely a bad word in my family.

okie52
7/1/2011, 12:22 AM

Mine too.

yankee
7/1/2011, 12:26 AM
There's a Texas list just like that one that has 3/4 of those same things on it.

Peach Fuzz
7/1/2011, 12:42 AM
this board is the only place I hear a soda referred to as coke... 22 years and I honestly have never heard someone say that crap..

King Crimson
7/1/2011, 12:48 AM
Side note...my Dad will threaten you physically if you call him an Okie. He will sternly inform you that "his people never left Oklahoma, and you should put some thought into what you're saying before someone removes that head you refuse to use".

True story.

my family is a bit the same way. Okies are the ones they call "quitters" who left....about my granddad's generation.

i see Paul Meade Insurance was mentioned above so I just assume you know what number to call.

King Crimson
7/1/2011, 12:49 AM
this board is the only place I hear a soda referred to as coke... 22 years and I honestly have never heard someone say that crap..

noob

Serge Ibaka
7/1/2011, 01:34 AM
I call soft-drinks "pop."

Apparently that's a Green-Country thing.

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/popvssodamap.gif

the-rover
7/1/2011, 03:26 AM
You don't find it unusual for a state to have four federal judicial districts and about one college in every county.

What does everyone else have?

Worked for Coca-Cola in my younger days....a common question was, "how much pop you got on yer truck today?"

I never much cared for the term "Okie" either, although, a lot of folks in Muskogee don't seem to mind it.

delhalew
7/1/2011, 05:56 AM
What does everyone else have?

Worked for Coca-Cola in my younger days....a common question was, "how much pop you got on yer truck today?"

I never much cared for the term "Okie" either, although, a lot of folks in Muskogee don't seem to mind it.

The newer generations don't get as fired up as the older folks. I can see a reason to be proud of surviving that period. I also can understand not wanting your children to have more dirt in their lungs, than food in their bellies.

Taxman71
7/1/2011, 08:58 AM
You think Ho-Ho is a clown, not a snack cake.

lexsooner
7/1/2011, 10:00 AM
You think Ho-Ho is a clown, not a snack cake.

You were an underprivileged kid if you had not attended at least one birthday party with Ho Ho the Clown.

You actually find car dealership commercials in other states to be tolerable.

You listened to politicians expouse "family values" your whole life but still have no idea what they are.

You always have to explain to visitors who fly into OKC that our airport really does not handle international flights, so the name is a misnomer.

Taxman71
7/1/2011, 10:03 AM
You think landfills to mountains.

You drive to your neighbor's house 3 doors down (I see this daily).

3rdgensooner
7/1/2011, 10:07 AM
Apparently, I am only 50% Okie. Perhaps you have to be from rural Oklahoma to get all 27.Yeah, I only agreed with about 11 of them.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 10:09 AM
You were an underprivileged kid if you had not attended at least one birthday party with Ho Ho the Clown.

You listened to politicians expouse "family values" your whole life but still have no idea what they are.

You always have to explain to visitors who fly into OKC that our airport really does not handle international flights, so the name is a misnomer.

Mary Fallin ran on her "family values", didn't she cheat on her husband though?

Peach Fuzz
7/1/2011, 10:10 AM
We should take 'okie' back... like how blacks use the N word.

And beat the **** out of a texan if they call us it :D

lexsooner
7/1/2011, 10:11 AM
Mary Fallin ran on her "family values", didn't she cheat on her husband though?

Exactly.

cantwait48
7/1/2011, 10:13 AM
i see Paul Meade Insurance was mentioned above so I just assume you know what number to call."

524-1541?

Lott's Bandana
7/1/2011, 04:30 PM

This one is FTW, and disturbingly true.

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 06:19 PM
Good list, and how do we pronounce Durant?

You are also an Oklahoman if you know you have to choose between OU and oSu when you're old enough to speak, and that the ones who can speak at a younger age always pick OU. ;)

SunnySooner
7/1/2011, 07:59 PM
Aside from "fixin' to" and "reckon", I also catch crap for "Do what now?". And apparently, I pronounce the 'h' in 'what', so it sounds like "whhat" and not "wut". I say, if you're not supposed to pronounce the 'h', "whhy" is it there?!?!?!? And "do what now?" is a damn fine all purpose phrase. Much better than, "Excuse me?" or "What did you say?"

Mjcpr
7/1/2011, 08:05 PM
I say 'fixin' to' all the time.

soonerchk
7/1/2011, 08:30 PM
Good list, and how do we pronounce Durant?

You are also an Oklahoman if you know you have to choose between OU and oSu when you're old enough to speak, and that the ones who can speak at a younger age always pick OU. ;)

DEW-rant.

Home of the big giant peanut.

delhalew
7/1/2011, 10:27 PM
I've found that when outsiders ask a question requiring a yes as a response, they get terribly confused when I say "mmm huh". They usually think I mean what/huh, and repeat themselves.:D.

BigTip
7/1/2011, 10:45 PM
Oklahoma women don't get PMS, they get FTS; fixin to start.

My damn kids say soda instead of generic coke. Pisses me off, like I'm raising a couple of Yankees or something!

coke. kleenex. band-aid. All in lower case. "Oh, these Puffs kleenex are soft"

I still say sack at the store, but that is really losing out to bag.

Chuck Bao
7/1/2011, 11:51 PM
It wasn't until I was in high school that the English teacher told me that "druther" is not actually a real word, as in "I druther not say that again". I don't know if that is an Okie, regional or American thing.

How about waving politely at people at four-way stops to just go ahead? When I was a kid, the whole county had only 2 red lights. Now, I think that has doubled to four.

And, you wave at people and later realize that you really didn't know them, but it doesn't matter because everyone does it.

KFC will give you free Jalapenos to go along with your fried chicken, if you ask for it. (Okay, that may no longer be the case and maybe not exclusively Oklahoma, but back in the 1980's that was the awesomeness and well before illegal immigrants changed the whole demographics). Does anyone know if KFC still serves Jalapenos?

Poppers mean breaded Jalapenos stuffed with cheese and deep fried at the local convenience store in animal fat covering all the major food groups in one lunch meal, not a sex aid and inhalant.

Your grandma had a cast iron skillet and plenty of cornmeal and knew how to cook fried food that would stick to your bones. From fried okra to hush puppies to catfish. Not healthy, but didn't that taste good.

I am proud to be an Okie. I am sorry that others feel that it is derogatory term. My grandparents never felt that way. They stayed and they fought and a friendly home town banker gave my granddad a break and helped him.

hawaii 5-0
7/2/2011, 01:56 AM
I call myself an Okie with no problem tho I usually say I'm a Sooner, an Oklahoman.

The negative connatation is from a coupla generations back from me.

People from Arkansas would rather be called Arkies than Arkansans.

Around 1967 or so the Gov. passed out thousands of Okie Pins as a promotion for the State.

5-0

Tump/ Joe 2012

ouwasp
7/2/2011, 01:59 AM

heh... my Dad reckons Steinbeck oughta be dug up and have his arse kicked for coining the phrase in "The Grapes of Wrath"...

Serge Ibaka
7/2/2011, 03:27 AM
I call myself an Okie with no problem tho I usually say I'm a Sooner, an Oklahoman.

The negative connatation is from a coupla generations back from me.

Around 1967 or so the Gov. passed out thousands of Okie Pins as a promotion for the State.

Tump/ Joe 2012

I agree with this--I think that the dust bowl understanding of the term is lost on the new generation.

I like the word.

Okla-homey
7/2/2011, 08:01 AM
As a fourth generation "Okie," I have no problem with the term. In fact, I revel in it. So there.

OhU1
7/2/2011, 10:10 AM
When I was Edinburgh Scotland I told a bartender I was from Oklahoma and he told me a few things he knew about our state and mentioned the word "Okie". Then he paused and said he meant no offense. I was impressed he knew the possible negative connotation of the word Okie.

Sad to say most people I met in Europe didn't know where Oklahoma was. I'm a bit ashamed to say I would reference Texas and say "we're on top of Texas".

Shakadoodoo
7/2/2011, 10:12 AM
I think BBQ bologna must be an OK thing because every time I'm in a different state and I throw a slab on the grill - they think I am Bobby Flay or something.

If you go to a different state - and you tell them your from Oklahoma - Okie is the nickname that always give me - I can dig it!

1890MilesToNorman
7/2/2011, 10:17 AM

I hear ya, when I moved outta the state in the 80's folks would say "you want a soda?", I thought they were talking soda water so I would say "just a splash with my scotch".

I was also invited to dinner shortly after moving to New England and the lady said we were have whatever and "whoop-a-dadas", I said "is that like a rutabaga?", she said no, whipped potatoes. I said "I love me some mashed taters".

soonerchk
7/2/2011, 11:37 AM
Your grandma had a cast iron skillet and plenty of cornmeal and knew how to cook fried food that would stick to your bones. From fried okra to hush puppies to catfish. Not healthy, but didn't that taste good.

You haven't lived until you've had a pineapple upside down cake made in a cast iron skillet.

I think BBQ bologna must be an OK thing because every time I'm in a different state and I throw a slab on the grill - they think I am Bobby Flay or something.

Don't tell them, because the less they know, the more there is for me.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2011, 12:52 PM
One thing I find to be sad is that Okies don't get enough credit for turning California into the largest produce producer in the country...and perhaps the world.

History taught in that state still ignores the second-class citizen that used to live in tent cities and transform valley desert into orchards, nurseries and farms.

That legacy was passed along to the Messicans, but there are many, many towns in the Central Valley (San Gabriel, San Joaquin, Sacramento, etc.) that are filled with the decendants of these nomads. Needless to say, the poverty that was suffered in the mid-20th century has mostly continued for generations.

It is very strange, yet somehow comforting, to be in Olivehurst, California and hear, "reckon, fixin, y'all and howdy" coming from the mouths of the locals...dialect passed down like good recipes.

soonerchk
7/3/2011, 04:37 PM
We created a recipe for Twinkies Flambe last night. If that isn't one of the redneckiest things I've ever been a part of, then I don't know what is.

ouwasp
7/3/2011, 05:47 PM
I hear ya, when I moved outta the state in the 80's folks would say "you want a soda?", I thought they were talking soda water so I would say "just a splash with my scotch".

I was also invited to dinner shortly after moving to New England and the lady said we were have whatever and "whoop-a-dadas", I said "is that like a rutabaga?", she said no, whipped potatoes. I said "I love me some mashed taters".

hahahaha.....:D

lexsooner
7/3/2011, 07:12 PM
You listen to weather warnings which describe the location of the storm or tornado - Ouchita, Oolagah, Pawnee, Poteau, etc. etc., yet you have no earthly idea where those counties or towns are even though you have lived in the state your whole life and had to learn that crap in Oklahoma history class in high school.

delhalew
7/3/2011, 07:13 PM
I surprised how few people, even in the south, knew about the cabbage and black eyed peas on New Years day.

lexsooner
7/3/2011, 07:13 PM
One thing I find to be sad is that Okies don't get enough credit for turning California into the largest produce producer in the country...and perhaps the world.

Chuck Norris, to be specific.

BudSooner
7/3/2011, 07:17 PM

If you go to a different state - and you tell them your from Oklahoma - Okie is the nickname that always give me - I can dig it!
This is especially true and the damn funny looks you get from out of staters when you mention it.

IT'S A WHOLE NUTHER FOOD GROUP MAN!:D

yermom
7/3/2011, 07:17 PM
You listen to weather warnings which describe the location of the storm or tornado - Ouchita, Oolagah, Pawnee, Poteau, etc. etc., yet you have no earthly idea where those counties or towns are even though you have lived in the state your whole life and had to learn that crap in Oklahoma history class in high school.

didn't spend much time in Green Country, did ya?

soonerchk
7/3/2011, 07:32 PM

Not only do I know where they all are, I've been to them.

lexsooner
7/3/2011, 07:40 PM
Not only do I know where they all are, I've been to them.

Not me, soonerchk. I am an OKC boy and other than having to memorize the counties in high school for history class, those names went out of my head immediately. That's quite an accomplishment, having been to each county in OK since there are so freakin many of them.

soonerchk
7/3/2011, 07:41 PM
Not me, soonerchk. I am an OKC boy and other than having to memorize the counties in high school for history class, those names went out of my head immediately. That's quite an accomplishment, having been to each county in OK since there are so freakin many of them.

You're missing out on some good food, let me tell you!

hawaii 5-0
7/3/2011, 09:15 PM

You should check out your State sometime. Make it to Beaver's Bend. Talequah. Talimena Drive.

Do it.

5-0

Trump/ Oscar 2012

Chuck Bao
7/3/2011, 09:22 PM
We created a recipe for Twinkies Flambe last night. If that isn't one of the redneckiest things I've ever been a part of, then I don't know what is.

Not to worry, soonerchk, I will still love you even though you probably wasted some perfectly good booze. On the other hand, I love a woman who's adventurous in trying new things and bonus points for setting something* on fire.

* I do assume that twinkies does not refer to young gay men because that would be really, really wrong.

lexsooner
7/3/2011, 09:58 PM
You should check out your State sometime. Make it to Beaver's Bend. Talequah. Talimena Drive.

Do it.

5-0

Trump/ Oscar 2012

I'd love to, 5-O, but I have not lived in Oklahoma in nearly two decades. The most striking things I find when I come back to visit are how friendly Oklahomans are, how bad the roads are, how red the earth is, how hard scrabble much of Oklahoma City is, and mostly how so unbearably hot it is in Oklahoma! I would like to buy a winter beach condo in Ko Olina, O'ahu, where it is warm, but an ocean breeze blows every day and the sunsets on the west coast of the island are breathtaking.

hawaii 5-0
7/3/2011, 10:01 PM
Disney is putting in a new property at Ko Olina. Not quite finished yet but it's gonna be nice.

5-0

Trump/ Goofy 2012

olevetonahill
7/3/2011, 10:05 PM

In was raised in Cali. i not only know how to pronounce those names. I also know where they are :P

stevo
7/3/2011, 11:13 PM
When I was Edinburgh Scotland I told a bartender I was from Oklahoma and he told me a few things he knew about our state and mentioned the word "Okie". Then he paused and said he meant no offense. I was impressed he knew the possible negative connotation of the word Okie.

Sad to say most people I met in Europe didn't know where Oklahoma was. I'm a bit ashamed to say I would reference Texas and say "we're on top of Texas".

did the exact same thing many times in europe...and once even in canada (sad when they don't know where we are)

and i don't mind being called an "okie"...and i'm a fan of steinbeck. bam

qualso

all but about 5 worked for me. so fak you dib-ernie

Chuck Bao
7/4/2011, 12:03 AM

I missed this post entirely. Thanks stevo for reposting it.

I completely agree with you, OhU1. In Asia, people are initially confused and then you see a light switch turn on above their head and they think that I just haven't yet learned how to correctly say Yokohama.

I learned a long time ago to just say that my home is just north of Texas. In my case, that isn't far from the truth since my family farm is just 15 miles north of the Willis bridge.

How did you find Scotland, OhU1? I mistakenly thought I could share a few pints with them at the country pubs. Didn't work out that way. They showed quite obvious disdain for the American tourists. Probably they get that all the time. I could tell that there was quite a bit of resentment in their voice when I was repeatedly asked if I flew in from the US to play at St. Andrews. When I responded "what, where, WHAT?", they got even more angry.

I spent one Thanksgiving in Edinburgh on a marketing trip. My British colleague arranged for one of the upscale restaurants to fix me a traditional Thanksgiving meal. By upscale, I mean their types of restaurants that have no menu but a choice of only three set courses each night and they have some really weird and wonderful taste mixtures of food. None of it was anywhere even close to our traditional Okie Thanksgiving meal, but I wasn't going to tell them.

But, I must say that those Scots wearing kilts were very friendly, thank you very much indeed. Not to give away their secrets, but they really don't wear anything under them.

soonerloyal
7/4/2011, 10:00 AM

True story.

Amen. BTW, I'm a temporarily-transported Oklahoman. I happen to be living in another state, but it's not permanent. Ask my hubby, I didn't go happily or quietly. :(

3rdgensooner
7/4/2011, 10:03 AM
You listen to weather warnings which describe the location of the storm or tornado - Ouchita, Oolagah, Pawnee, Poteau, etc. etc., yet you have no earthly idea where those counties or towns are even though you have lived in the state your whole life and had to learn that crap in Oklahoma history class in high school.I can relate to this. I've lived here my whole life. It is not at all uncommon for someone to name a place and for me to say: Where's that? At which point they usually try to give me a frame of reference to a larger and more well known area, e.g. "it's east of Norman", or "up by Grand Lake".

soonerchk
7/4/2011, 10:14 AM
Not to worry, soonerchk, I will still love you even though you probably wasted some perfectly good booze. On the other hand, I love a woman who's adventurous in trying new things and bonus points for setting something* on fire.

* I do assume that twinkies does not refer to young gay men because that would be really, really wrong.

Now why would I set gay young men on fire when I can get them to go shopping with me?

I do love fire though.

delhalew
7/4/2011, 10:20 AM
Amen. BTW, I'm a temporarily-transported Oklahoman. I happen to be living in another state, but it's not permanent. Ask my hubby, I didn't go happily or quietly. :(

I believe you. My father and I both have done more traveling than any sane person should, but neither of us want to live anywhere else.

texaspokieokie
7/4/2011, 04:22 PM
to me, "okie" denotes a person from OK. i'm proud to be an OKIE.

i don't think steinbeck coined the word.

people went to CA because they had lost EVERYTHING !!!

all they wanted was a chance to make a living. Hard to make a living picking fruit.

then the war started & everyone that wanted a job had one. probably even some that didn't want one.

for an Oklahoman to get mad because someone called him an OKIE, is VERY SILLY !!!

Memtig14
7/4/2011, 05:14 PM
I was raised in Oklahoma where flip flops come out in May ~ we don't have fireflies, we have "lightnin' bugs" ~ we don't have cray fish in creeks, we have "crawdads" in the "creek" ~ "taters" are mandatory ~ "y'all" is a proper noun ~ chicken is fried ~ biscuits come with gravy ~ sweet tea is the house wine

Not an original...just sharing from somewhere else.

SunnySooner
7/4/2011, 05:19 PM
I surprised how few people, even in the south, knew about the cabbage and black eyed peas on New Years day.

Don't forget the fried hog jowls...srsly, don't forget 'em, they's yummy. ;) :D

hawaii 5-0
7/4/2011, 05:32 PM
people went to CA because they had lost EVERYTHING !!!

Reminds me of that large migration of Okies to Tejas about 20 years ago.

That's where the jobs were.

5-0

Trump/ Joad 2012

lexsooner
7/4/2011, 07:11 PM
Disney is putting in a new property at Ko Olina. Not quite finished yet but it's gonna be nice.

5-0

Trump/ Goofy 2012

I think the Disney hotel/timeshare will be opened this fall. I got to know some mainlanders who winter there and sublet their places during the rest of the year, so it got me thinking about getting a condo with an ocean view, but that is in the seven figures. There are some new villas and condos across the street which are just a few minutes walk to the beach and are actually affordable. I think Disney is going to change the area and drive up prices. Right now, outside of the hotels, there is not that much there, just Roy's, a Korean BBQ, and a Mexican restaurant. The appeal of Ko Olina, aside from the obvious, is it is a gated complex and clean and safe, great for older family to stay.

StoopTroup
7/4/2011, 07:20 PM
My Favorite Oklahoma Town is Sapaloopa.

lexsooner
7/4/2011, 08:33 PM
My Favorite Oklahoma Town is Sapaloopa.

It's not Beaver?

hawaii 5-0
7/4/2011, 08:39 PM
It's not Beaver?

or Slapout?

5-0