PDA

View Full Version : Austin Box news??

bent rider
6/30/2011, 05:04 PM
Just wondering if there's been any further news on the investigation into the cause of his death.

badger
6/30/2011, 05:09 PM
Autopsy's take awhile. It could be another month before anything is released publicly.

mavsfan31
6/30/2011, 07:58 PM
Toxicology reports take 6-8 weeks. And as badger said, they might not make that info readily available as soon as it's complete.

btb916
6/30/2011, 08:31 PM
The Oklahoma Gazette ran this story yesterday: Death of a Sooner (http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-12219-death-of-a-sooner.html)

Boomer.....
7/1/2011, 08:25 AM
His autopsy begain on May 20 and can take between 2-6 weeks (what the ME office said) to get the results. That means that the latest it should take would be today. Who knows.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 10:00 AM
He overdosed....does anyone else expect to hear any different?

BoomerJack
7/1/2011, 10:13 AM
He overdosed....does anyone else expect to hear any different?

It could very well have been a lethal combination of substances and NOT an "overdose" of anything specific.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 10:21 AM
It could very well have been a lethal combination of substances and NOT an "overdose" of anything specific.

I'll put my money on overdose though. Technically either way it's an overdose, took too many drugs. But if you're splitting hairs I guess not. People just don't die from taking recommended doses of prescribed medicine and I'm sure the doctor didn't give him two medicines that would cause a lethal reaction.

OUTrumpet
7/1/2011, 11:32 AM
I'll put my money on overdose though. Technically either way it's an overdose, took too many drugs. But if you're splitting hairs I guess not. People just don't die from taking recommended doses of prescribed medicine and I'm sure the doctor didn't give him two medicines that would cause a lethal reaction.

Medicines are chemicals - can very definitely cause a reaction like that in your body, especially if you're not upfront with your doctor about the medications that you are taking.

I have a new medication that I've been taking for a month and have been specifically instructed to not take my other medication or food within 2 hours both ways of taking it. Have been told that mixing it with food or medication will almost certainly produce seizures.

Besides, did you know taking the recommended Tylenol dose for 14 - 21 straight days will shut down your liver and kill you? Not everything is black and white, especially with unique bio-chemistries.

Seamus
7/1/2011, 11:52 AM
Medicines are chemicals - can very definitely cause a reaction like that in your body, especially if you're not upfront with your doctor about the medications that you are taking.

I have a new medication that I've been taking for a month and have been specifically instructed to not take my other medication or food within 2 hours both ways of taking it. Have been told that mixing it with food or medication will almost certainly produce seizures.

Besides, did you know taking the recommended Tylenol dose for 14 - 21 straight days will shut down your liver and kill you? Not everything is black and white, especially with unique bio-chemistries.

Exactly. You hit on a key phrase there. And what most people don't realize -- me either, till it happened -- is your bio-chemistry evolves. Once, I could eat and enjoy macadamia nuts. Then one day, not so much -- started having a strange reaction. Now, if I have one, I'll end up flopping on the floor like a fish, going into anaphylactic shock.

Seems my bio-chemistry developed an aversion to some chemical compound in macadamia. I would venture a guess the same thing is possible with prescription drugs. One day it's helping you, the next your body can't tolerate it any more.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 12:09 PM

After day three I would have taken more Tylenol than I would have taken in the past year....

I don't want to sound like an unsensitive dick, I just heard he was being prescribed OxyContin, and that is probably one of the more abused drugs there is. Many people die from ODing on this stuff, that's why I would just assume that's what happened. It sucks that he had to die that way, but he made a stupid decision and died from it. I don't think the medical report is going to say any different...unless I heard wrong from what he was taking then I could be way off. But with OC you don't need a lot to OD.

En_Fuego
7/1/2011, 12:26 PM
Crunching OC80's (Oxycontin 80mg) are deadly when snorting. It's a new fad with the younger folk.

Not saying Austin did this............RIP

prrriiide
7/1/2011, 01:57 PM

If you take a prescribed amount of oxycodone and a prescribed amount of valium at the same time, you'll be deader than a dog turd. They both depress the respiratory system , and taken together, they can do it to the point that you just stop breathing. Throw in a couple of beers or a jack and coke and you're well and truly screwed. Pharmacists go to pharm school to learn that chit. Drug interactions can be nasty at best, and are often deadly.

That's why you should always get your prescriptions filled at the same place. Chains like CVS and Walgreens have programs in place that alert the pharm techs to possible interactions.

jumperstop
7/1/2011, 02:03 PM
If you take a prescribed amount of oxycodone and a prescribed amount of valium at the same time, you'll be deader than a dog turd. They both depress the respiratory system , and taken together, they can do it to the point that you just stop breathing. Throw in a couple of beers or a jack and coke and you're well and truly screwed. Pharmacists go to pharm school to learn that chit. Drug interactions can be nasty at best, and are often deadly.

That's why you should always get your prescriptions filled at the same place. Chains like CVS and Walgreens have programs in place that alert the pharm techs to possible interactions.

Technically I would still call that an OD even if it was all prescribed amounts, especially if drinking. I don't see peoples fascination with prescription drugs, whatever happened to smoking a joint to get high? Just sad that people choose to abuse anything.

SunnySooner
7/1/2011, 02:08 PM
The problem for peeps with chronic pain is that the body develops a tolerance for the drugs, and so to get relief from the pain, you have to take higher and higher doses of the drug. For people in a lot of pain, opioids don't make them feel high, especially after a long period of use, they just make them feel less hurt. I imagine it would be very tempting to take an extra few pills when it feels like your back is breaking. Unfortunately, as mentioned, the high doses can shut down your respiration and heart rate, and you pass out and die.

Until I learn otherwise, I'm assuming this is what happened to Austin--he had taken his prescribed amount, gotten no relief, and so then decided to take a few more and it was just too much for his system. He could well have been crushing/chewing/abusing, whatever, but for now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. RIP, #12, I hope you're feeling no pain now.

badger
7/1/2011, 02:12 PM
The problem for peeps with chronic pain is that the body develops a tolerance for the drugs, and so to get relief from the pain, you have to take higher and higher doses of the drug.

It's stories like Austin's that make me want to avoid pills whenever possible :(

But that's depressing and I'm sure Austin would rather us remember him for the happier times. Like these (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154655) :)

bent rider
7/1/2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks all, I was just asking since it seemed like the promised 2-6 weeks had passed.

MyT Oklahoma
7/1/2011, 05:48 PM
Rest In Peace big guy.

Memtig14
7/1/2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks all, I was just asking since it seemed like the promised 2-6 weeks had passed.

I think there may be a chance that the autopsy will not be released, especially if it reflects poorly on Austin. His father probably would not like it very much.

mavsfan31
7/1/2011, 06:36 PM
I think there may be a chance that the autopsy will not be released, especially if it reflects poorly on Austin. His father probably would not like it very much.

and i can't blame him. i hate the negative attention that this brings. he very well may have overdosed, but so many don't know the history or circumstances that he had. not saying what all happened is right or wrong

bent rider
7/1/2011, 07:04 PM
Well I don't think his family has complete control of the matter. A newspaper will file a Freedom of Information Request. Since he's a public figure it will get out. The results are of interest to learn how to prevent such tragedies in the future. May also reflect on culpability - if he misused or mixed with alcohol vs taking prescribed amount, vs getting multiple interacting prescriptions (intentially or not).

goingoneight
7/1/2011, 11:14 PM
The results will make their way to the news eventually, and they won't be good. Thankfully he's not in pain nor has to listen to the ignorant rumoring that will come of the people knowing details. RIP brother Box. I know you finished strong against Nebraska and UConn, but you'll always be remembered for making the most important play of your final season in Norman. :)

Memtig14
7/1/2011, 11:14 PM
Well I don't think his family has complete control of the matter. A newspaper will file a Freedom of Information Request. Since he's a public figure it will get out. The results are of interest to learn how to prevent such tragedies in the future. May also reflect on culpability - if he misused or mixed with alcohol vs taking prescribed amount, vs getting multiple interacting prescriptions (intentially or not).

I am no expert on this and I am not disputing what you say, but unless it is a crime I don't think there is any legal compulsion to release that information. I don't think Freedom of Information will apply here. JMO

His dad is an attorney of some "repute" in Enid and I would bet he will do all he can to keep this private if he so desires.

And I agree, unless there was a crime....I would want to keep it a private matter.

goingoneight
7/1/2011, 11:44 PM
It won't be private. Even if the story takes years to uncover, it will be known eventually. The problem is people disrespecting Box and his family. It could turn out to be something completely different from what we all suspect, yet there's still going to be all the trash-talkers and know-it-alls who will make this mole hill a mountain.
At least it's understood in Norman what a good guy he was and what a great player.