PDA

View Full Version : COLBERT WINS ! ! !

StoopTroup
6/30/2011, 04:21 PM
Stephen Colbert prevails before the FEC

By Kim Geiger and Melanie Mason Los Angeles Times

June 30, 2011, 12:36 p.m.
The Federal Election Commission Thursday granted faux talk-show host Stephen Colbert a special exemption to establish a corporate-backed political action committee to run ads on his program.

Colbert had asked the FEC for permission to create a "Colbert Super PAC" that would produce and air election advertisements, with the assistance of resources provided by Viacom -- the parent company of Comedy Central, which airs "The Colbert Report" –- without disclosing the extent of Viacom’s assistance.

After the ruling, Colbert addressed a crowd of hundreds outside the FEC's D.C. headquarters, flanked by staffers in red “Colbert PAC” t-shirts.

“The FEC made its ruling, and I’m sorry to say, we won!” Colbert said, prompting giant cheers from the crowd. "Some have cynically asked if this is some kind of joke,” he continued. “But I don’t think that participating in democracy is a joke. I don’t think that wanting to know what the rules are is a joke.”

He and his staff then began soliciting contributions on the spot.

David Synder, 31, was one of the first to hand his card over to Colbert and authorize a charge of $50. Snyder said he had no guesses as to what kind of candidates his donation would support, but said he trusted Colbert’s judgment.

“I feel confident by watching that we line up politically,” said the small business owner from Birmingham, Ala., adding that his political inclinations leaned left.

A super PAC is a political action committee that can collect unlimited contributions from corporations, unions and individuals. Those donations, and the committee's expenses, must be publicly disclosed in filings to the Federal Election Commission.

Colbert had requested a “press exemption” to the disclosure rule as it relates to Viacom, suggesting that the cost of producing and airing the PACs ads falls under the media function of The Colbert Report, a satirical news program that often deals with political topics.

But Colbert's request for guidance wasn't taken as a stunt by members of the commission.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/chi-110630colbert-fec,0,5974414.story

soonercruiser
6/30/2011, 10:02 PM
GOD help us!
:(

A Sooner in Texas
6/30/2011, 10:06 PM
Gettin' out that credit card.

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 10:07 PM
Lord Help the rich, the poor can beg.

mgsooner
6/30/2011, 10:36 PM
I CAN HAZ SUPERPAC

lol

SicEmBaylor
6/30/2011, 10:55 PM
Pffft....

Who doesn't have a PAC these days?

StoopTroup
6/30/2011, 10:56 PM
Pffft....

Who doesn't have a PAC these days?

Viacom?

SCOUT
6/30/2011, 10:56 PM
I like the attention he is bringing to PAC's. The more people realize how they operate the better, IMO

StoopTroup
6/30/2011, 10:59 PM
I like the attention he is bringing to PAC's. The more people realize how they operate the better, IMO

I agree. The ability of voters to make PACs more viable than Parties should be interesting. Can People actually hire Lobbyist to go to DC and actually express what they want or will it just expose PAC and make them useless?