PDA

View Full Version : AARP membership

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 09:39 AM
Is it worth it?
Whats the cost? what are the main benefits of joining.?

sooner_born_1960
6/30/2011, 09:40 AM
The only benefit I've come up with is that they might stop badgering me to join, if I joined.

Sooner Tri
6/30/2011, 09:41 AM
The main benefit is to have a large portion of your dues donated to the Democratic Party.

sooner n houston
Only if you want to support liberals, as that is where a large portion of their profits go!

sooner n houston
Damn you Tri! :D

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 09:43 AM
Dint know all that, I'll jes keep tossing their **** in the trash then.

sooner n houston
6/30/2011, 09:44 AM
The Association of Mature American Citizens - A conservative alternative!

http://amac.us/

sooner_born_1960
6/30/2011, 09:45 AM
Dint know all that, I'll jes keep tossing their **** in the trash then.
If it's a postage paid envelope, just send all their crap back to them.

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 09:50 AM

HEH,May send em a Fine Credit card offer;)

badger
6/30/2011, 10:59 AM
My grandparents used to be members but didn't like the stance AARP took on some issues and I think they're now members of the rival organization, whatever that is.

SoonerofAlabama
6/30/2011, 11:08 AM
I think there are two major organizations that rival AARP.

Generation America (http://www.generationamerica.org/)
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9483/25268986.png

and

American Seniors (http://americanseniors.org/)
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/4224/podcastimage281616.gif

badger
6/30/2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was the mature one or something else, that's why I just said "rival."

They used to be really, really involved in AARP, as were many of their friends, which means that AARP, in the last five years, really must have done something to tick off their membership to get them to quit.

I don't think AARP was really a Democratic organization per se, but were definitely a giant lobbying powerhouse that would demand the best for social security, medicare, etc.

I've said it before --- old people vote en masse. Politicians don't want to tick off the elderly. They're the ones that show up at town hall meetings, call their local and DC offices, write letters, you name it. And yes, they vote.

GKeeper316
6/30/2011, 11:16 AM
all they do is look out for the interests of old people, regardless of the effect it will have on the young.

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 11:17 AM
all they do is look out for the interests of old people, regardless of the effect it will have on the young.

Isn't that the purpose of any special interest group?:rolleyes:

badger
6/30/2011, 11:36 AM

I don't totally fault em for it. I mean, they have been living through the years of self sacrifice and saving for years dating back to the awful 30s. The next generation after that had to deal with their penny pinching parents for a long time.

So, they're gonna buy a new Lincoln Town Car. So, they're gonna take trips around the world while they still can. So, they might not leave as big of an inheritance you might have hoped. Oh well.

JohnnyMack
6/30/2011, 11:38 AM
In Before SSC

jk the sooner fan
6/30/2011, 11:39 AM

boy, nothing gets by you

3rdgensooner
6/30/2011, 11:42 AM
My father's experience with AARP is that the "discounts" they offer--insurance, car rental, etc--are not particularly competitive.

jk the sooner fan
6/30/2011, 11:43 AM
i think AARP lost quite a bit of its members when they supported Obamacare

badger
6/30/2011, 11:47 AM
i think AARP lost quite a bit of its members when they supported Obamacare

That was probably when G&G quit, but I'm not sure.

Perhaps the fear was that if Obamacare would replace Medicare and everyone, regardless of age, health, needs, etc., would get the same health coverage across the board.

soonercruiser
6/30/2011, 12:47 PM

THIS! +1

49r
6/30/2011, 02:09 PM
AARP! AARP! AARP!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/25/seal14_gallery__600x400.jpg

CrimsonCream
6/30/2011, 02:21 PM
Only if you want to support liberals, as that is where a large portion of their profits go!

Yes.

Being in healthcare, I thought AARP was a great company until they got in bed with Obama and screwed Medicare Advantage.

AARP is just like Obama...corrupt.

Whet
6/30/2011, 02:25 PM

Plus, fill the envelope with that glossy junk mail, it is heavier than normal paper!

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 06:21 PM
Ok, Back to my question, Is it worth it to join any of these groups?

I know ya get a room discount at most motels, But i can get that with my Military I.D.

What are the benefits to them?

diverdog
6/30/2011, 06:50 PM

How are they any different than AARP? They are not accepting entitlement cuts on their benefits right now. Instead they want to kick all changes down the road to our children. The deficit is being caused by current beneficiaries and I think they need to see some pain as well.

soonercruiser
6/30/2011, 09:59 PM
Ok, Back to my question, Is it worth it to join any of these groups?

I know ya get a room discount at most motels, But i can get that with my Military I.D.

What are the benefits to them?

Being a vet too....
Almost always, our AAA card gets us the best discounts.

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 10:00 PM
Aint had TripA in years, I smart enough to watch my fuel and I can change my own tires.;)

mgsooner
6/30/2011, 10:30 PM
Can I get your membership info so I can get some hotel discounts? PM me. TIA

SpankyNek
6/30/2011, 10:32 PM
Being a vet too....
Almost always, our AAA card gets us the best discounts.

No USAA, Cruiser?

When I was in the travel industry, they got the best deals, bar none.

olevetonahill
6/30/2011, 11:31 PM
No USAA, Cruiser?

Whats the USAA?

SpankyNek
6/30/2011, 11:48 PM
Whats the USAA?

The USAA is a similar group based discount plan that is only open to Active Duty, Honorably Discharged Vets, Widows of those two, or their families.

They have a pretty large list of things that they discount, plust they offer banking/investment services, etc.

USAA was founded in 1922 by a group of U.S. Army officers to self-insure each other when they were unable to secure auto insurance due to the perception that they were a high-risk group.[4] USAA has since expanded to serve all members of the Armed Forces and all who served honorably in the US Armed Forces, as well as their families, with property & casualty insurance, banking, life insurance, investment and financial planning products and services.

Membership used to be officer only, but it is now open to anyone that has served in any of the branches of the military, the FBI, or the CIA.

soonercruiser
7/1/2011, 07:09 PM
No USAA, Cruiser?

Got "many", including USAA.
Get mobetta AAA discounts, than the other combined.

But, Ret military ID is the only one that works for near traffic tickets!
:P

olevetonahill
7/2/2011, 12:34 AM
Got "many", including USAA.
Get mobetta AAA discounts, than the other combined.

But, Ret military ID is the only one that works for near traffic tickets!
:P

I can and will get my Military I.D.
so will that werk?

soonercoop1
7/2/2011, 07:04 AM
They got an Obamacare waiver after their support...

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2011, 09:04 AM
Whats the USAA?United Services Auto Association. Nonprofit member owned. I have my car insurance and banking with them.