PDA

View Full Version : If you think we have a kicking problem....`

agoo758
6/29/2011, 11:31 PM
.... we do. But as I was doing some research, I came across an eye-popping stat. Michigan's kickers combined for a total of 4 makes out of 14 attempts. :eek:

So we can certainly be a lot worse I guess. But how did Michigan get themselves into that much trouble in the kicking game??

SoonerofAlabama
6/29/2011, 11:37 PM
O'Hara has a very strong leg, but isn't very accurate. Jimmy Stevens is the accurate one, but he can't kick the deep ball because he happens to be 5' 5".

And about Michigan, from 40+ they are 0-4, 20-40 they are 4-10. They don't have one that is accurate or one that has a strong leg.

Even Jimmy was 3-4 from 40+.

SOONER STEAKER
6/29/2011, 11:44 PM
Is Stevens our kicker? WE HAVE A KICKING PROBLEM THEN!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerofAlabama
6/29/2011, 11:52 PM
I am okay with Stevens and O'Hara mixed. Not great, but good.

Kickers currently on roster:

17 Jimmy Stevens
18 Michael Hunnicutt
43 Patrick O'Hara
57 Kelton Miller

Sooner13
6/30/2011, 12:00 AM

I'll be honest, I don't get those of you out there that insist we have some horrible kicking problem. Is Jimmy Steven a great kicker? No, but if you really look at the numbers, he has been decent. There are plenty of better kickers out there, but there are also plenty worse.

Jimmy Stevens is not our kicking problem. If we have a kicking problem, it's the fact that we have four kickers on our roster.

agoo758
6/30/2011, 12:45 AM
I'll be honest, I don't get those of you out there that insist we have some horrible kicking problem. Is Jimmy Steven a great kicker? No, but if you really look at the numbers, he has been decent. There are plenty of better kickers out there, but there are also plenty worse.

Jimmy Stevens is not our kicking problem. If we have a kicking problem, it's the fact that we have four kickers on our roster.

The fact that we are regularly going for it on fourth and medium at the 30 yard line is a clear indication of a kicking problem.

But in any event. Everyone is missing the point of this thread. 4 for 14! :pop:

SoonerofAlabama
6/30/2011, 12:50 AM
Michigan was #120 in field goals. No surprise there.

Partial Qualifier
6/30/2011, 08:25 AM

I agree...

bigfatjerk
6/30/2011, 08:29 AM
Stevens isn't really that bad. He's made something like 20 of his last 25 which is really solid. He just doesn't have a real long leg and probably won't make many kicks past 40 yards. Really our biggest kicking problems are on the kickoffs.

tfoolry
6/30/2011, 08:56 AM

So we can certainly be a lot worse I guess. But how did Michigan get themselves into that much trouble in the kicking game??

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/85292031.jpg

Widescreen
6/30/2011, 09:36 AM

Stevens was really pretty bad 2 years ago. If you look at the stat sheet from last year, he did well. As long as you don't actually watch him kicking it's fine. He still gives me chest pains even when kicking extra points watching the ball swirl its way just over the crossbar.

Fraggle145
6/30/2011, 10:37 AM

The fact that we dont have a kicker that can consistently put it in the endzone for a touchback means we have a kicking problem.

The reason this is a problem is that for the last 2-3 years we have sucked GIANT ****ING DONKEY BALLS at kickoff return coverage. We are constantly spotting teams 7 points on kickoff return. Its ridiculous.

rekamrettuB
6/30/2011, 10:43 AM
The fact that we dont have a kicker that can consistently put it in the endzone for a touchback means we have a kicking problem.

What's your definition of "consistently"?

I'm not disagreeing with you...I would rather see someone that could kick it high and somewhere between the GL and 10 yardline more than kicking into the endzone. Was it Hartley a few years back that was just awesome at that. OU used to pin teams inside the 20 a lot because of how high and deep his kicks went.

humblesooner
6/30/2011, 11:05 AM
As Agoo said, the only reason our kicking stats aren't worse is Bob won't attempt anything outside of 41 yards. I don't know if it is true, but I read somewhere earlier that of the 4 attempts we had outside of 40 yards last year, 3 were 41 yarders. So, basically, we were 0 for 1 outside of 41 yards.
If you can't kick and make 45 to 48 yard field goals, you have a kicking problem.
Again, if we were attempting 45 to 48 yard kicks, our stats would be "terrible", not just the "acceptable" that they are now. You can't miss them if you don't attempt them.

EatLeadCommie
6/30/2011, 12:02 PM
Stevens is still terrible. Better in 2010 than he was in 2009, but still legitimately awful. He can't kick it more than 10 feet off the ground and is prone to kicking it at extreme angles. Every attempt is one where you hold your breath, and it just shouldn't be that way.

I'd like to think we have somebody on the team that can kick it this year after 2 years of having nobody.

BoulderSooner79
6/30/2011, 12:07 PM
Jimmy is the man until someone beats him out and he is the most interesting kicker in the world.

MojoRisen
6/30/2011, 12:20 PM
Ill have to give it to stoops- these kickers are pushed to perfection. Talent or not - the stats last year were on target. I expect more of the same.

EatLeadCommie
6/30/2011, 12:32 PM
Jimmy is the man until someone beats him out and he is the most interesting kicker in the world.

Well that bolded part is hard to disagree with!

BoulderSooner79
6/30/2011, 12:46 PM
I don't like putting down players unless they are screwing up off the field or something. If Stevens is working hard and doing what the coaches ask and winning the job, I'll support him. It's up to the coaches to improve players to perform up to their potential or to recruit better players. I actually admire Stevens for hanging in there and keeping his job while enduring public criticism.

PalmBeachSooner
6/30/2011, 12:47 PM
.... we do. But as I was doing some research, I came across an eye-popping stat. Michigan's kickers combined for a total of 4 makes out of 14 attempts. :eek:

I'd love to have a kicker who can kick it deeper than the 10 yardline on KO's. The opposition always seems to have great field position after we score.

I Am Right
6/30/2011, 03:16 PM

That is good for nebraska!!

I Am Right
6/30/2011, 03:17 PM
I am okay with Stevens and O'Hara mixed. Not great, but good.

Kickers currently on roster:

17 Jimmy Stevens
18 Michael Hunnicutt
43 Patrick O'Hara
57 Kelton Miller

If only O'Hara could tackle somebody!

oudavid1
6/30/2011, 07:03 PM
Jimmy Stevens does really well inside of 40. Paddy outside of 40 can just wing it. Who cares.

BoulderSooner79
6/30/2011, 07:09 PM
It would be great if '11 turns out like '08 and just making the XPs puts our kicker high on the individual scoring list. :D

Fraggle145
6/30/2011, 11:38 PM
What's your definition of "consistently"?

I'm not disagreeing with you...I would rather see someone that could kick it high and somewhere between the GL and 10 yardline more than kicking into the endzone. Was it Hartley a few years back that was just awesome at that. OU used to pin teams inside the 20 a lot because of how high and deep his kicks went.

Every stinking time. :cool:

sperry
6/30/2011, 11:43 PM
Jimmy Stevens does really well inside of 40. Paddy outside of 40 can just wing it. Who cares.

First part is true. Second part, not so much. We probably shouldn't attempt a field goal of over 40 yards all season.

Widescreen
7/1/2011, 09:56 AM
Anytime we line up for a 45+ yard field goal, everyone knows it's a fake.

SoonerofAlabama
7/1/2011, 10:36 AM
Anytime we line up for a 45+ yard field goal, everyone knows it's a fake.

I think it was just a 40+ yard field goal, but last year against A&M when it was still a close game, we lined up for a field goal beyond forty. We had the defense fooled, it was a perfect pass but Hanna dropped it. We had two go like that last season. I can't remember where the other time we tried it was, but anyways I know Texas A&M didn't know it was a fake. Hanna just dropped the ball.

LakeRat
7/1/2011, 11:39 AM
Another angle should be looked at when talking 4th and 5 from the 30 and we go for it.

1. We have one of the most dynamic offenses in the nation the last couple of years.

2. Giving someone the ball at the 30 isn't giving them "good field position".

3. Even the elite NFL kickers don't make 90% of 47+ yarders.

So if we convert it, we have a strong chance of scoring 7. If we miss it, the defense has a long field to defend. Unless it is game tying or to give us the lead, to me the risk is way to high to kick that.

swardboy
7/1/2011, 12:45 PM
Uwe Von Shamman would have a hard time kicking blocks of ice.

agoo758
7/1/2011, 12:51 PM
Another angle should be looked at when talking 4th and 5 from the 30 and we go for it.

1. We have one of the most dynamic offenses in the nation the last couple of years.

2. Giving someone the ball at the 30 isn't giving them "good field position".

3. Even the elite NFL kickers don't make 90% of 47+ yarders.

So if we convert it, we have a strong chance of scoring 7. If we miss it, the defense has a long field to defend. Unless it is game tying or to give us the lead, to me the risk is way to high to kick that.

When its the last play of the game and we need a field goal to win it. We should be confident that the 30 yard line is field goal range.:(

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2011, 12:56 PM
When its the last play of the game and we need a field goal to win it. We should be confident that the 30 yard line is field goal range.:(

Where's your sense of drama?

LakeRat
7/1/2011, 02:50 PM

I wish I was smart enough to figure out what % of 47 yard game winning field goals have been made in the last 5 years of the NFL.

I would bet that it isn't over 75%.

So are they "confident"?

pphilfran
7/1/2011, 02:57 PM
I wish I was smart enough to figure out what % of 47 yard game winning field goals have been made in the last 5 years of the NFL.

I would bet that it isn't over 75%.

So are they "confident"?

Around 60% from the thirty...

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/11/just-for-kicks.html

MI Sooner
8/23/2011, 11:10 AM
From a Daily Oklahoman article (http://newsok.com/ou-punter-tress-way-is-a-difference-maker/article/3596967?custom_click=lead_story_title):

One advantage this season is Patrick O'Hara will handle kickoffs. Part of Way's bad habits stemmed from trying to swing his leg across his body to lengthen kickoffs.

“Patrick O'Hara is just crushing the ball,” Way said. “The other day, he hit an 84-yard kickoff, four yards out of the back of the end zone. And it wasn't that windy. He literally has the strongest leg I've ever seen. I'm fine with just focusing on punting.”

If true, that's great news for us. While our kick coverage has been terrible in recent years, they haven't been helped by having to cover so many kicks (due to scoring so much and a lack of touchbacks).

Bourbon St Sooner
8/23/2011, 11:26 AM

The reason this is a problem is that for the last 2-3 years we have sucked GIANT ****ING DONKEY BALLS at kickoff return coverage. We are constantly spotting teams 7 points on kickoff return. Its ridiculous.

I totally agree with this. I think I counted 4 KO returns for TD given up last year. That is completely unacceptable. Not to mention that we give up poor field position quite often. That needs to get corrected if we are going to win a NC.

Soonerjeepman
8/23/2011, 11:56 AM
article today...

Way really punting well...more 70 yarders than 50 in practice....

Jimmy the man on FG's...

O'Hara will do kick-offs...putting them out of the end-zone without wind...hit an 85 yarder the other day

just sayin...but yeah..3 schollies on kickers...actually 4...is a little much..but as long as we win I could care less.

tcrb
8/23/2011, 01:41 PM
article today...

Way really punting well...more 70 yarders than 50 in practice....

Jimmy the man on FG's...

O'Hara will do kick-offs...putting them out of the end-zone without wind...hit an 85 yarder the other day

just sayin...but yeah..3 schollies on kickers...actually 4...is a little much..but as long as we win I could care less.

Seems like O'Hara was making the long ones with ease before he was even on the team (I'm remembering a YouTube vid?), but once he suited up and took the field in a game, not so much. Maybe live game pressure?

EatLeadCommie
8/23/2011, 02:54 PM
This times 1 billion, no matter how much people try to parse the stats with Stevens. Every kick with him is an adventure, and as long as he is our main kicker, we will be hard pressed to win a NC.

TheresOnlyOne
8/23/2011, 03:08 PM
It ain't gonna matter....we're puttin it in the end zone this year!! Oh but the news about Patty handling KO's is big-time!!!

Soonerjeepman
8/23/2011, 03:34 PM
Seems like O'Hara was making the long ones with ease before he was even on the team (I'm remembering a YouTube vid?), but once he suited up and took the field in a game, not so much. Maybe live game pressure?

It was an article about Way...and HE said O'Hara was going to handle KO...when he did it screwed up his mechanics..swinging the leg over for more power...at least that is what he said.

http://newsok.com/ou-punter-tress-way-is-a-difference-maker/article/3596967?custom_click=lead_story_title

pphilfran
8/23/2011, 03:38 PM

No team "consistently" kicks into the endzone...the best there was last year was OSU at just above 50%....the NCAA avg is close to 15%...

Those 4 TD's last year were not due to short kickoffs....they are due to players not staying in their lanes...

As an example: if we hadn't given up those 4 td's and had stopped them at the 35 instead...260 yards off of the 1745 we gave up (65 yards times 4)....1485 yards on 81 returns would be an avg of 18.33 yards per return...and that would be good enough for 6th in the nation in return yardage...

So we actually did damn good on the ones we decided to tackle...

If we could get 1/3 of our kicks at touchbacks we would be doing well....

Fraggle145
8/23/2011, 04:06 PM
It was the most in the country. I think its something like 2 or 3 out of the last 4 years we have given up the most kickoff return TDs. The exception as 2008. Then we only let them get back to our 20.

pphilfran
8/23/2011, 04:15 PM
It was the most in the country. I think its something like 2 or 3 out of the last 4 years we have given up the most kickoff return TDs. The exception as 2008. Then we only let them get back to our 20.

We have had two damn bad years...both 2008 and 2010 we gave up 4....9 in the last 3 years...

We have had only 3 returns for td's in the last 5 years...

Salt City Sooner
8/23/2011, 04:36 PM
'08 was the worst by far (see my post in the link below for details). We were actually 33rd in the nation in KO return D last year (not great, but not horrible either) before that last bomb by UConn in the Fiesta dropped them to 65th. They finished '08 at #102.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?130942-Coaching-Grade-(A)-in-2008&p=2610500&highlight=#post2610500

EatLeadCommie
8/23/2011, 04:59 PM
Stevens in his career in FGs

Inside the 20 - 1/1
20-29 yards - 21/22
30-39 yards - 13/17
40-49 yards - 4/9 (career long of 42 yards, not sure what the career long attempt is)

His stats are greatly enhanced by a lot of chip shot FGs, probably half of which have given Sooner fans heart attacks and quick glances to the official to make sure he is holding his arms up. His inability to hit consistently at 40 yards has lead to us having to go for it on 4th down a lot, or punt, or fake kick.

I hope he has improved greatly over the summer, but 3 years of balls barely going through or over the uprights when they are good does not give me a lot of faith.

ouwasp
8/23/2011, 05:15 PM
Stevens isn't really that bad. He's made something like 20 of his last 25 which is really solid. He just doesn't have a real long leg and probably won't make many kicks past 40 yards. Really our biggest kicking problems are on the kickoffs.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I try and save my tv RR breaks for when the Sooners KO. If I'm at the game I might watch it. Or I might not. KO coverage has been that bad. Surely the law of averages would dictate the sooners are due a decent yr in KO coverage, along with an undefeated MNC. Yay, law of averages!

delhalew
8/23/2011, 05:36 PM
I thought this was going to be about Jordan Jefferson.

MI Sooner
8/24/2011, 11:37 AM
No team "consistently" kicks into the endzone...the best there was last year was OSU at just above 50%....the NCAA avg is close to 15%...

Those 4 TD's last year were not due to short kickoffs....they are due to players not staying in their lanes...

As an example: if we hadn't given up those 4 td's and had stopped them at the 35 instead...260 yards off of the 1745 we gave up (65 yards times 4)....1485 yards on 81 returns would be an avg of 18.33 yards per return...and that would be good enough for 6th in the nation in return yardage...

So we actually did damn good on the ones we decided to tackle...

If we could get 1/3 of our kicks at touchbacks we would be doing well....

Was OSU 50% at kicking it into the endzone or 50% at getting touchbacks? A lot of kicks that get into the endzone are returned.

A couple other notes, if you took away the worst 4 returns everyone else gave up, I doubt we'd still be at sixth. Secondly, what's important is your opponents' average starting field position, not the yards allowed per return. In 2008, we kicked to the opponent's 15 yard-line a lot. Allowing 18 yards per return in those cases still sucks.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2011, 11:45 AM
I thought this was going to be about Jordan Jefferson.

Beat me to it.

(pun intended)

pphilfran
8/24/2011, 12:00 PM
50% of their kicks were returned...

You are correct when you state that everyone would be helped by removing their 4 worst...

We had four big busts that gave up td's...you eliminate those and we have a solid rating and nobody is bitchin'....