PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon was closet Republican/Reagan fan

MR2-Sooner86
6/29/2011, 07:21 PM
Lennon was a closet Republican: Assistant (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/28/lennon-was-a-closet-republican-assistant)

John Lennon was a closet Republican, who felt a little embarrassed by his former radicalism, at the time of his death - according to the tragic Beatles star's last personal assistant.

Fred Seaman worked alongside the music legend from 1979 to Lennon's death at the end of 1980 and he reveals the star was a Ronald Reagan fan who enjoyed arguing with left-wing radicals who reminded him of his former self.

In new documentary Beatles Stories, Seaman tells filmmaker Seth Swirsky Lennon wasn't the peace-loving militant fans thought he was while he was his assistant.

He says, "John, basically, made it very clear that if he were an American he would vote for Reagan because he was really sour on (Democrat) Jimmy Carter.

"He'd met Reagan back, I think, in the 70s at some sporting event... Reagan was the guy who had ordered the National Guard, I believe, to go after the young (peace) demonstrators in Berkeley, so I think that John maybe forgot about that... He did express support for Reagan, which shocked me.

"I also saw John embark in some really brutal arguments with my uncle, who's an old-time communist... He enjoyed really provoking my uncle... Maybe he was being provocative... but it was pretty obvious to me he had moved away from his earlier radicalism.

"He was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote Imagine. By 1979 he looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

:pop:

Fish&Game
6/29/2011, 07:24 PM
He was born that way.

SicEmBaylor
6/29/2011, 07:26 PM
Wow.

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 07:28 PM
John did a lot of drugs.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:30 PM
Of course he was. That's what happens when smart people grow up.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:32 PM
John did a lot of drugs.

That's also what happens when smart people back off the drugs.

OhU1
6/29/2011, 07:34 PM
I'm never shocked when I hear about someone who is "far left" or "far right" who switches. I'm also not shocked when I hear about a "former Satanist" who is now a Christian rocker. Extremist positions are often the product of a lack of rational critical thinking.

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 07:35 PM
That's also what happens when smart people back off the drugs.

What?

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:36 PM
I'm never shocked when I hear about someone who is "far left" or "far right" who switches. I'm also not shocked when I hear about a "former Satanist" who is now a Christian rocker. Extremist positions are often the product of a lack of rational critical thinking.

I didn't see "far right". Did I miss it?

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:37 PM
What?

Huh?

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:41 PM
When I was an incredibly high, young rock star, I said a lot of stupid Commie **** myself.

OhU1
6/29/2011, 07:42 PM
I didn't see "far right". Did I miss it?

Relatively speaking for John "all we are saying is give peace a chance" Lennon being a Reagan support is going far right. Reagan was considered too far right and non electable by many only 4 years before Lennon's death in 1976.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:44 PM
Relatively speaking for John "all we are saying is give peace a chance" Lennon being a Reagan support is going far right. Reagan was considered too far right and non electable in 1976.

Hmmm. Ok. I just called it joining reality:D. It wasn't a painless transition.

SpankyNek
6/29/2011, 07:46 PM
Relatively speaking for John "all we are saying is give peace a chance" Lennon being a Reagan support is going far right. Reagan was considered too far right and non electable by many only 4 years before Lennon's death in 1976.

It should also be noted that Ronald Reagan is basically Karl Marx compared to Bachmann, etc..

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 07:47 PM
When I was an incredibly high, young rock star, I said a lot of stupid Commie **** myself.

Whatever gets you through the night....

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:48 PM
It should also be noted that Ronald Reagan is basically Karl Marx compared to Bachmann, etc..

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah I don't think it's uncommon, really. Many young adults tend to be overly idealistic. Then they grow up, the naivete wears off, they gain insight as they grow (well.. some of them) and they realize what makes sense and what doesn't. Idealism kinda takes a backseat to common sense as we grow older; this is not some big revelation.

Lennon may have liked Reagan's view of government's role, and not mixed it up with his own beliefs on social issues.

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 07:49 PM
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:50 PM
Whatever gets you through the night....

As long as it's not drugs and Marxist fairy tales, I'm happy.

Just kidding. The drugs weren't so bad.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah I don't think it's uncommon, really. Many young adults tend to be overly idealistic. Then they grow up, the naivete wears off, they gain insight as they grow (well.. some of them) and they realize what makes sense and what doesn't. Idealism kinda takes a backseat to common sense as we grow older; this is not some big revelation.

Lennon may have liked Reagan's view of government's role, and not mixed it up with his own beliefs on social issues.

This. Mostly.

StoopTroup
Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives

SpankyNek
Strange days, indeed....

Mongo
6/29/2011, 07:53 PM

we are watching johnnymack make this transition. he used to not be able to see past obama's pubes, now he is leveling out

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 07:54 PM
No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 07:57 PM
My defenses were so great. The cocky rock and roll hero who knows all the answers was actually a terrified guy who didn't know how to cry. Simple

SpankyNek
6/29/2011, 07:58 PM
A soap impression of his wife
which he ate
and donated to the national trust

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2011, 08:00 PM
we are watching johnnymack make this transition. he used to not be able to see past obama's pubes, now he is leveling out

Is that what's going on?? I thought he was just an equal-opportunity troller.

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 08:01 PM
People like me are aware of their so-called genius at ten, eight, nine. . . . I always wondered, ``Why has nobody discovered me?'' In school, didn't they see that I'm cleverer than anybody in this school? That the teachers are stupid, too? That all they had was information that I didn't need? I got ****in' lost in being at high school. I used to say to me auntie
``You throw my ****in' poetry out, and you'll regret it when I'm famous, '' and she threw the bastard stuff out. I never forgave her for not treating me like a ****in' genius or whatever I was, when I was a child. It was obvious to me. Why didn't they put me in art school? Why didn't they train me? Why would they keep forcing me to be a ****in' cowboy like the rest of them? I was different
I was always different. Why didn't anybody notice me? A couple of teachers would notice me, encourage me to be something or other, to draw or to paint - express myself. But most of the time they were trying to beat me into being a ****in' dentist or a teacher

Chuck Bao
6/29/2011, 08:19 PM
Dammit, I guess I was wrong all along. I had thought that going to the evil side was what was done when one became uber rich. Probably we will find out that more than a few of the big libs in Hollywood hated on "little people".

delhalew
6/29/2011, 08:22 PM
Not all the little people look longingly towards Marxism.

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
6/29/2011, 08:38 PM
The little people really should look to Marxism. It's the only way they will get paid what they deserve.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 08:45 PM
The little people really should look to Marxism. It's the only way they will get paid what they deserve.

Awwwe. I was starting to miss Maddow is an @ss Clown.

MR2-Sooner86
6/29/2011, 08:48 PM

Marxism is easy to debunk because the whole system relies on ignoring human nature.

SicEmBaylor
6/29/2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone who is a conservative before they're 30 has no heart. Anyone who isn't a conservative after they're 30 has no brain. --Winston Churchill

GKeeper316
6/29/2011, 09:00 PM
reagan was a pretty liberal guy, socially speaking.

6/29/2011, 09:03 PM
reagan was a pretty liberal guy, socially speaking.

Fiscally speaking too. He LOVED him some deficits.

KABOOKIE
6/29/2011, 09:03 PM

I would say ****ting yourself lots of times is stupid no matter what your social political leanings are.

SicEmBaylor
6/29/2011, 09:04 PM
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

SicEmEx and I were both Beatles fanatics back in HS. We would sing I am the Walrus in the bus on the way to debate tournaments much to the annoyance of our teammates. God we were cool.

KABOOKIE
6/29/2011, 09:19 PM
Wait when did you get divorced? **** married? I missed a lot around here.

C&CDean
6/29/2011, 09:19 PM

Nice job Juan. Dickmunch.

C&CDean
6/29/2011, 09:20 PM

Generally speaking, you miss a lot of ****. Just sayin'.

6/29/2011, 09:21 PM

I munch carpet, not dick. Sorry Deaner, you can't have none of this.

C&CDean
6/29/2011, 09:28 PM
I munch carpet, not dick. Sorry Deaner, you can't have none of this.

Wanna bet? I've let your troll *** survive for what, months? Maybe a year? Anyhow, it's time you did dick, or STFU.

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 09:29 PM

You didn't miss the gay jeans thread. :D

KABOOKIE
6/29/2011, 09:30 PM
You didn't miss the gay jeans thread. :D

You damn right!

6/29/2011, 09:32 PM
Wanna bet? I've let your troll *** survive for what, months? Maybe a year? Anyhow, it's time you did dick, or STFU.

A year? Lawl.

Breadburner
6/29/2011, 09:33 PM
Dennis Hopper is another exmple of this syndrome.....

SanJoaquinSooner
6/29/2011, 09:34 PM

I don't know Rachel from Shine-o-la.

C&CDean
6/29/2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know Rachel from Shine-o-la.

Nice try.

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 09:37 PM
I hope Shine-o-la gets deported.

C&CDean
6/29/2011, 09:38 PM
She did.

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2011, 10:12 PM

DICK or GTFO

wait....

diegosooner
6/30/2011, 09:39 AM
Rachel Maddow, I Know SanJoaquinSooner. He is a friend of mine. Rachel, you're no SanJoaquinSooner.

Seriously, folks with expertise in Human Relations need to be able to tell the difference between a liberal and a card-carrying member of the Libertarian Cato Institute.

I had to google Rachel Maddow because I never heard of her.

Signed,

Don Diego de la Sooner