PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

yankee
6/29/2011, 12:22 PM
Is there any way to make this crap go away? I bet miracle whip would ease the itching...

Mississippi Sooner
6/29/2011, 12:23 PM
Sausage grease.

Mongo
goose ****

OutlandTrophy
bleach will dry it up.

It'll make your legs cramp but dabbing bleach on the posion ivy with a cotton ball will halp dry it up.

SoonerofAlabama
6/29/2011, 12:24 PM
Calamine lotion should work.

Mississippi Sooner
6/29/2011, 12:25 PM
Rub some dirt on it.

saucysoonergal
6/29/2011, 12:25 PM
Scooter is right. I have a co-worker who swears by bleach. I've never had a case, so I cannot give you first hand advice though! ;)

yankee
6/29/2011, 12:28 PM
Bleach??? Alright...I'll give it a try (gulp). I've been using some anti-itch stuff I bought at the pharmacy, but the rash is always rubbing against my pants and so after a while it starts itching again. And I've only had it since Sunday. Apparently it can last like 7-10 days? F' that, it's 4th of July wknd.

Fraggle145
6/29/2011, 12:29 PM
Is there any way to make this crap go away? I bet miracle whip would ease the itching...

Technu if you know you got it on you and can wash it off. If youve had it a couple of days go get the steroid shot.

I'm highly allergic and that is almost the only thing that works for me. You can also get some Jewel weed and it does wonders for it. Boil it and then put it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. It will knock it out in a couple of days. Burt's Bees also makes a poison ivy soap with jewel weed in it that works okay.

You can bathe in Epsom salts or oatmeal and those kind of help.

Calamine and all of those lotions really do jack **** for it.

NormanPride
6/29/2011, 12:29 PM
Next time, check the plant before you hump it.

YWIA.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 12:30 PM
but the rash is always rubbing against my pants and so after a while it starts itching again.

You will probably want to talk to Mongo.

Fraggle145
6/29/2011, 12:30 PM
Bleach??? Alright...I'll give it a try (gulp). I've been using some anti-itch stuff I bought at the pharmacy, but the rash is always rubbing against my pants and so after a while it starts itching again. And I've only had it since Sunday. Apparently it can last like 7-10 days? F' that, it's 4th of July wknd.

If you dont want to use bleach you can use rubbing alcohol.

I forgot about those, but they work well too. They are just really harsh chemicals on your skin, especially the straight bleach.

Mongo
6/29/2011, 12:32 PM
be sure to rub some of the affected area on your penis so that area can build up immunity the next time you get it

yankee
6/29/2011, 12:32 PM
Technu if you know you got it on you and can wash it off. If youve had it a couple of days go get the steroid shot.

I'm highly allergic and that is almost the only thing that works for me. You can also get some Jewel weed and it does wonders for it. Boil it and then put it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. It will knock it out in a couple of days. Burt's Bees also makes a poison ivy soap with jewel weed in it that works okay.

You can bathe in Epsom salts or oatmeal and those kind of help.

Calamine and all of those lotions really do jack **** for it.

Where can I get this jewelweed? I've actually heard of it before.

Next time, check the plant before you hump it.

YWIA.

I'm shocked the ivy hasn't shown up on my penis yet. I did some work on that plant.

Fraggle145
6/29/2011, 12:34 PM
Where can I get this jewelweed? I've actually heard of it before.

I'm shocked the ivy hasn't shown up on my penis yet. I did some work on that plant.

I have been looking for a new spot to get it. I havent bought any in years. I'd just google it.

Penguin
6/29/2011, 12:34 PM
7DLC35LM3qE

yankee
6/29/2011, 12:38 PM
I have been looking for a new spot to get it. I havent bought any in years. I'd just google it.

It appears as if you have to buy it online, so I may just go with the Burt's Bees.

Breadburner
6/29/2011, 12:40 PM
Cortizone injection.....

hawaii 5-0
6/29/2011, 12:45 PM
Cortizone injection.....

That would work. 4mg of Decadron if you could get someone to give it to you. Benadryl pills could help if you can't get a shot.

I got it Summer before last and it lasted a lot longer than 7-10 days. I think it was more like 6 weeks.

It was poison oak, not ivy. I used cortizone creme. Cremes are absorbed faster than ointments.

5-0

Trump/ Benwa 2012

yankee
6/29/2011, 12:46 PM
I'll ask my parents if I can get a shot. The rash is above my knee and it used to just be a bunch of little bumps, and now it's a good 4-5 inch swollen red area with many little bumps around it. Not the worst I've seen compared to stuff on the internet and luckily it's isolated to this one area of my area (right now), but it's bugging the hell out of me.

yankee
6/29/2011, 12:48 PM
That would work. 4mg of Decadron if you could get someone to give it to you. Benadryl pills could help if you can't get a shot.

I got it Summer before last and it lasted a lot longer than 7-10 days. I think it was more like 6 weeks.

It was poison oak, not ivy. I used cortizone creme. Cremes are absorbed faster than ointments.

5-0

Trump/ Benwa 2012

I don't think the plant matters since it's the same oil in all 3, I think. So it could be Oak, Ivy, or Sumac.

olevetonahill
6/29/2011, 12:50 PM
Yup get the shot. it will be gone tomorrow.

hawaii 5-0
6/29/2011, 12:52 PM
I don't think the plant matters since it's the same oil in all 3, I think. So it could be Oak, Ivy, or Sumac.

I agree. It's just that most people think they have poison ivy when in fact it was poison oak. The offending chemical is the same.

5-0

Trump/ Chewey 2012

87sooner
6/29/2011, 12:57 PM
hair spray

JDMT
6/29/2011, 12:59 PM
Ask your parents?

DIB
6/29/2011, 01:00 PM
Stevo is an expert on poison ivy. She swears by steel wool and bleach.

yankee
6/29/2011, 01:27 PM
Yup get the shot. it will be gone tomorrow.

Cortisone?

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 01:29 PM
Stevo is an expert on poison ivy. She swears by steel wool and bleach.

I thought that came after the sechs.

olevetonahill
6/29/2011, 01:34 PM
Cortisone?

Think thats it, I dont normally get the stuff but about 15 years or so ago I got it fairly bad. went to the Doc, got the shot and it was cleared up pretty much the next day.

Fraggle145
6/29/2011, 01:38 PM
Think thats it, I dont normally get the stuff but about 15 years or so ago I got it fairly bad. went to the Doc, got the shot and it was cleared up pretty much the next day.

Ya it wont be a problem. You go in and say "I have poison ivy. Can I have the shot?" and the Doc say "yep." You pull down the top of your drawers and he sticks ya. Done deal.

yankee
6/29/2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys.

Mississippi Sooner
6/29/2011, 01:49 PM
Apply the affected area to a fire ant bed. Within two minutes, you'll forget you ever had poison ivy.

Mongo
6/29/2011, 01:50 PM
You pull down the top of your drawers and he sticks ya. Done deal.

take it to the homo thread mister

Breadburner
6/29/2011, 04:49 PM
I'll ask my parents if I can get a shot. The rash is above my knee and it used to just be a bunch of little bumps, and now it's a good 4-5 inch swollen red area with many little bumps around it. Not the worst I've seen compared to stuff on the internet and luckily it's isolated to this one area of my area (right now), but it's bugging the hell out of me.

That sounds like "The Herp"......

pphilfran
6/29/2011, 05:00 PM
Wash, wash, wash with soap and hot water...whenever you think you have been exposed take a hot shower and wash the oils off your skin...you will limit the amount and severity of the rash...

Also, be sure to wash infected clothes immediately to avoid oil transfer to other garments...

If the rash continues to spread you didn't wash completely..

As a kid I lived in the woods and would have a severe case every year...cold showers and baby powder over a cream seemed to help me the most...

I ended up getting a series of shots that have helped the severity of outbreaks...

MeMyself&Me
6/29/2011, 05:28 PM
As a kid, I was very allergic and we lived in the country. Without going into details I'll say I've never witnessed anyone that had reactions to poison ivy/oak/sumac to the degree that I did as a kid. One thing I noticed was that swimming in an over chlorinated pool seemed to do better than any other thing that people said to do. I'm sure it has to do with things that dry your skin out so the other suggestions along those lines sound good to me.

As to why I'm not as allergic anymore and a little off point. When I was 11, me and 3 other members of my extended family went to the doctor to get a shot that was supposed to prevent reactions to poison ivy/oak/sumac and this shot could only be given in the winter. After a couple years, the other 3 started getting it again, though at a much milder reaction than before the shot so we all went to get the shot again. The doctor told us that it was no longer allowed to be sold because it only worked 60% of the time. I've still yet to get it again but I don't know if it's because of the shot or because I can spot the plants about 50' away even in heavy brush (slight exaggeration but I'm always the first to see it no matter who I'm with).

Fraggle145
6/29/2011, 05:46 PM
Wash, wash, wash with soap and hot water...whenever you think you have been exposed take a hot shower and wash the oils off your skin...you will limit the amount and severity of the rash...

Also, be sure to wash infected clothes immediately to avoid oil transfer to other garments...

If the rash continues to spread you didn't wash completely..

As a kid I lived in the woods and would have a severe case every year...cold showers and baby powder over a cream seemed to help me the most...

I ended up getting a series of shots that have helped the severity of outbreaks...

Actually, taking a hot shower is one of the worst things you can do. It opens up all of your pores and any that is on your skin goes in before you can wash it away. Otherwise I agree.

But if you get it really severely like I do you should keep a bottle of Technu around. That stuff works and is great for washing it off after first exposure. Any alcohol will also work (the stronger the better, beer probably wont do the trick) if you dont have any soap to wash with.

http://industrialmaintenancesupplies.ricmarindustries.com/Asset/Technu.jpg

They carry this at Goddard if you cant find it anywhere else in Norman. Its saved me many times.

pphilfran
6/29/2011, 05:48 PM
Ok...

Wash, wash, wash with soap and ice water...

Breadburner
6/29/2011, 06:33 PM
No soap...Soap will spread the oil you must use a solvent of some kind.....

StoopTroup
6/29/2011, 06:50 PM
Web MD

Without treatment, the rash usually lasts about 10 days to 3 weeks. But in people who are very sensitive to urushiol, the rash may take up to 6 weeks to heal.

Most poison ivy, oak, or sumac rashes can be treated successfully at home. Initial treatment consists of washing the area with water immediately after contact with the plants. To relieve symptoms, use wet compresses and take cool baths. Nonprescription antihistamines and calamine lotion also may help relieve symptoms. Moderate or severe cases of the rash may require treatment by a doctor, who may prescribe corticosteroid pills, creams, ointments, or shots (injections).

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/poison-ivy-oak-or-sumac-topic-overview

usmc-sooner
6/29/2011, 06:57 PM
what outland said

and go to a public swimming pool

delhalew
6/29/2011, 07:11 PM
Really? Page three, and no one has posted one of these?

http://www.blurayvn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/poison-ivy-the-new-seduction-1997.jpg

I had to go a few pages in to find one that wasn't nekkid.

nighttrain12
6/29/2011, 07:49 PM
Don't you just love that tag line?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512RSQrmJIL._SS500_.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
6/29/2011, 11:58 PM
Go to a parts store and get a can of contact cleaner or brake cleaner. Spray it both on the affected area and on a rag. Scrub the heck out of it. It will clear right up.

You're welcome.

usmc-sooner
6/30/2011, 06:38 AM
try buck snot

achiro
6/30/2011, 10:47 AM
but the rash is always rubbing against my pants and so after a while it starts itching again.
Don't wear pants, problem solved.

It appears as if you have to buy it online, so I may just go with the Burt's Bees.

Or go back to where you got the poison ivy and see if there is any there.

Breadburner
6/30/2011, 11:17 AM
Shoot it with a shotgun....

stevo
7/3/2011, 11:27 PM
as someone who deals with several bouts of poison ivy every season, i feel comfortable in calling myself your home remedy expert. i've put just about every chemical you can find on it in an attempt to dry it out, and dib is right, steel wool and bleach ftw. ooohhhh my god it feels so gooooood. then it burns like hell! but it will be gone within a day or two. and any solvent will do the same...toluene, turpentine, hexane, gasoline, whatever...dries out the skin.

don't forget the steel wool though. enjoy yourself before you bring on the pain

SanJoaquinSooner
7/3/2011, 11:31 PM
as someone who deals with several bouts of poison ivy every season,...

Stevo, wouldn't it just be easier to not be around it during the season?

stevo
7/3/2011, 11:33 PM
i don't go around it on purpose.

it grows in my backyard (in town!) and i even pay a guy to come cut it down every year, but i still magically get it. it's the devil's plant

SoonerofAlabama
7/3/2011, 11:37 PM
I probably sound like an idiot, but what happens if you eat poison ivy? Not that I have eaten poison ivy, just wondering.

stevo
7/3/2011, 11:39 PM
my god that would be awful.

olevetonahill
7/4/2011, 01:28 AM
BOOOL Shat
do all these idiot home remedy's ya want
in the end , go the ****ing Doc and get the shot. yer cured.

Been there done that with the bleach and every thing else :rolleyes:

IDIOTS

olevetonahill
7/4/2011, 01:29 AM
I probably sound like an idiot, but what happens if you eat poison ivy? Not that I have eaten poison ivy, just wondering.

You get that shat bad enough and I guareentee ya get Immune after a time.;)

yankee
7/4/2011, 01:45 AM
Went to the Doc, they prescribed me some steroid cream crap. The poison ivy is now popping up right around my left knee/inside left leg...pretty much right where it originally started on my right leg. If I don't notice any marked improvement within the next couple of days, I'm going to the doctor and I'm telling him to give me the damn shot. I'm going to Florida in 5 days for 2 weeks, and I'm sick and tired of this ****. I'm never going disc golfing again. :mad:

87sooner
7/4/2011, 09:23 AM
i don't go around it on purpose.

it grows in my backyard (in town!) and i even pay a guy to come cut it down every year, but i still magically get it. it's the devil's plant

roundup

Fraggle145
7/4/2011, 03:40 PM

You get it systemic. I got it like that before. When I was a teenager my dad burned some of it by mistakes. I had it system wide for 2 weeks. took 3 steroid shots. Not fun. :(

Fraggle145
7/4/2011, 03:41 PM
Went to the Doc, they prescribed me some steroid cream crap. The poison ivy is now popping up right around my left knee/inside left leg...pretty much right where it originally started on my right leg. If I don't notice any marked improvement within the next couple of days, I'm going to the doctor and I'm telling him to give me the damn shot. I'm going to Florida in 5 days for 2 weeks, and I'm sick and tired of this ****. I'm never going disc golfing again. :mad:

That's what you should have told him in the first place. That steroid cream crap is basically Cortisone 10 that you can get over the counter.

Fraggle145
7/4/2011, 03:42 PM
You get that shat bad enough and I guareentee ya get Immune after a time.;)

God I wish that were true.

SoonerofAlabama
7/4/2011, 03:49 PM
You get it systemic. I got it like that before. When I was a teenager my dad burned some of it by mistakes. I had it system wide for 2 weeks. took 3 steroid shots. Not fun. :(

I will listen to the scientist. :)

Oh and I cannot imagine how badly that must have hurt.

olevetonahill
7/4/2011, 04:01 PM
God I wish that were true.

When i were just a wee lad i had that carp twice so bad i were covered head to toe.

Calamine dint faze it, and we dint know to go to the Doc back then.
After that shat wore off. ive hunted all over and never got it again.
cept one time when I slipped down some rocks and scratched my arms up pretty bad, Guess it got in the blood that way, but it was a mild case and the Doc gave me the shot and it were gone.

Breadburner
7/4/2011, 04:32 PM
roundup

Round up wont kill Poison Ivy....You have to use a brush killer that contains 2-4D.....

pphilfran
7/4/2011, 04:38 PM
Round up wont kill Poison Ivy....You have to use a brush killer that contains 2-4D.....

Yes it will...Round up Plus...

Fraggle145
7/4/2011, 05:44 PM
When i were just a wee lad i had that carp twice so bad i were covered head to toe.

Calamine dint faze it, and we dint know to go to the Doc back then.
After that shat wore off. ive hunted all over and never got it again.
cept one time when I slipped down some rocks and scratched my arms up pretty bad, Guess it got in the blood that way, but it was a mild case and the Doc gave me the shot and it were gone.

Man I still get it bad. Hell when people start talking about it I worry about getting it. I wish I could find the pics of the last time I got it. It looked like I was stung by a jellyfish or whipped with a bullwhip. You could see exactly where I had directly contacted it. It ended up getting infected I had to get antibiotics after the fact. It made my feet and leg swell up to about 2 times the normal size.

We were doing some weeding and clearing by this fence line and it was late winter/early spring so we couldnt tell what the plants were because they had no leaves on em.

yankee
7/4/2011, 10:28 PM
That's what you should have told him in the first place. That steroid cream crap is basically Cortisone 10 that you can get over the counter.

You sound like my mother.:mad:

stevo
7/4/2011, 10:33 PM
Man I still get it bad. Hell when people start talking about it I worry about getting it. I wish I could find the pics of the last time I got it. It looked like I was stung by a jellyfish or whipped with a bullwhip. You could see exactly where I had directly contacted it. It ended up getting infected I had to get antibiotics after the fact. It made my feet and leg swell up to about 2 times the normal size.

We were doing some weeding and clearing by this fence line and it was late winter/early spring so we couldnt tell what the plants were because they had no leaves on em.

we might be related

yankee
7/7/2011, 04:31 PM
Got the shot on Tuesday. Itching has gone down considerably, the rash is starting to go away, and is barely red at all. My doctor has been in the business for over 20 years and he said my case of poison ivy was one of the worst, if not the worst he had ever seen. :eek: Anyhow, thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.