PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Greece

badger
6/29/2011, 10:33 AM
So they just passed the raise taxes and cut spending bill (http://newsok.com/greek-parliament-passes-key-austerity-bill/article/feed/272091?custom_click=headlines_widget), ensuring that they'll get their $12 billion (in euros) bailout from the EU and the International Monetary Fund (???).

As you can see, Greece is thrilled that these measures passed and there will not be crippling damage the European Union economy at their hands:
mvQZtBmQsN0

I feel bad for those poor police :(

ZCjM0PTI9Ms

Strikes at the airports, 16 percent unemployment, protests, unpopular vote... wow. Greece is in trouble, bailout or not.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 10:34 AM
I think they should sell advertising on the Coliseum.

My Opinion Matters
6/29/2011, 10:43 AM
I think they should sell advertising on the Coliseum.

Great Pyramid, also.

tcrb
Union workers never take pay cuts very well.

saucysoonergal
Grease is the word.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 10:44 AM
Union workers never take pay cuts very well.

Millionaires never take tax hikes very well either.

CrimsonCream
6/29/2011, 10:47 AM
Very hard to get people off of the teat that they so long have been accustomed to.

tcrb
6/29/2011, 10:48 AM
Millionaires never take tax hikes very well either.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assert that those are union workers in the video, not millionaires.

yankee
6/29/2011, 10:48 AM
Greek House? Good food, right there.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 10:50 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assert that those are union workers in the video, not millionaires.

No, I think some of them are there representing millionaires. The millionaires are not going to put themselves in harm's way, but they paid others to get out there and challenge the police. It happens every day.

The
6/29/2011, 10:51 AM
Greece wouldn't need a bailout if they just paid their damn taxes, rich and poor alike.

At this point, they'd be better off following Argentina's model and just defaulting. These austerity measures they're trying to pass is going to lead to a civil war.

tator
6/29/2011, 10:52 AM
No, I think some of them are there representing millionaires. The millionaires are not going to put themselves in harm's way, but they paid others to get out there and challenge the police. It happens every day.
Really? Every day?

The Profit
6/29/2011, 10:53 AM
Really? Every day?

Yep, the rich always find someone poor to do their dirty work.

tator
6/29/2011, 10:54 AM
This reminds me of a Dukes of Hazzard episode

The
6/29/2011, 10:55 AM
This reminds me of a Dukes of Hazzard episode

Reminds me of a Steely Dan song.

badger
6/29/2011, 11:06 AM
At this point, they'd be better off following Argentina's model and just defaulting. These austerity measures they're trying to pass is going to lead to a civil war.

The problem is the European Union. Greece has been accused of dragging the EU down (and the Euro's value down) through irresponsibility. Argentina's default didn't have the rest of South America's currency tied to it.

Here's a photo from Athens on June 5:
http://images.angelpub.com/2011/23/8893/june-5-greek-protests.jpg

I have a feeling that many of these people are out on their own accord. When so many are unemployed, you need something to do with your time when you don't have a job.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 11:06 AM

Steely Dan is coming to Oklahoma. Gonna see them.

Breadburner
6/29/2011, 11:08 AM
Them not paying there income taxes is definetely alot of the problem......

The
6/29/2011, 11:10 AM
The problem is the European Union. Greece has been accused of dragging the EU down (and the Euro's value down) through irresponsibility. Argentina's default didn't have the rest of South America's currency tied to it.

Here's a photo from Athens on June 5:

I have a feeling that many of these people are out on their own accord. When so many are unemployed, you need something to do with your time when you don't have a job.

It's causing MAJOR volatility on Forex. I'm making a killing right now.

tcrb
6/29/2011, 11:19 AM

Oh, I see. Those dirty millionaires are causing these riots and the peace loving union workers are sitting at home wringing their hands and trying to keep warm while they eat their last can of beans.

I suppose the rioters in Madison were also hired by a bunch of greedy millionaires as well.

The
6/29/2011, 11:24 AM
I suppose the rioters in Madison were also hired by a bunch of greedy millionaires as well.

Actually, yeah.

The use of Agent Provocateurs has been a time tested method of dispersing crowds by giving police a "reason" to use force.

NormanPride
6/29/2011, 11:29 AM
So the riots are because people have no jobs? And the government just raised taxes and cut spending to be able to stay solvent? This, to me, sounds like a step in the right direction and a reason to not riot.

tcrb
6/29/2011, 11:37 AM
Actually, yeah.

The use of Agent Provocateurs has been a time tested method of dispersing crowds by giving police a "reason" to use force.

Heh....Boss Hawg strikes again.

Chuck Bao
6/29/2011, 12:43 PM
I am afraid that Greece is just a precursor of many other countries that will have to go through this painful adjustment.

Politicians around the world have promised "blue skies forever". Get a job, work hard all your life, contribute to a national/corporate savings plan and you are lead to believe that it will be there when you get to a certain age to retire. Now, it looks like it won't be.

I am just guessing here (I have never been to Greece), but I would suppose that many of these young unemployed protesters know that the austerity measures mean that they are even more unlikely to get a decent job over the next 5 years. There is no doubt quite a lot of anger. With the pay from the very few jobs available, they can't buy a home. They can't start a family. They can't have the "blue skies forever" sold to them.

Besides that, you can't tell me that only a few Americans would be upset enough to hurl rocks (maybe not literally), if the IMF and the World Bank stepped in to start dictating economic policy in Washington.

I am not so critical of the tea party, except for the fact that they are still trying to sell the notion of "blue skies forever" if taxes are cut further. I am amazed that so many Americans still buy into an insular US economic system.

Maybe we should be throwing a few more rocks here (again, not literally). I don't think it will change much, but we can say we tried and feel a little better about ourselves when the inevitable comes.

NormanPride
6/29/2011, 12:55 PM
Honestly, with the way our economic/fiscal policy has been over the last few decades I would welcome an outside force telling us to stop ****ing up.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 03:23 PM
Oh, I see. Those dirty millionaires are causing these riots and the peace loving union workers are sitting at home wringing their hands and trying to keep warm while they eat their last can of beans.

There were no riots in Madison. Since when is it a crime to assemble and protest. I hope you believe that the first amendment is just as important as the 2nd amendment. After all, it was first.

Howzit
6/29/2011, 03:26 PM

Is there gas in the car?
Yes, there's gas in the car.

Caboose
6/29/2011, 03:27 PM

What is the problem with that?

The
6/29/2011, 03:27 PM
Is there gas in the car?
Yes, there's gas in the car.

Every A frame had your number on the wall.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 03:30 PM
What is the problem with that?

No problem really. The poor will eventually wise up, load up and shoot all of the rich. Simple as that.

okie52
6/29/2011, 03:37 PM
No problem really. The poor will eventually wise up, load up and shoot all of the rich. Simple as that.

Ooohhhh, scary.

surprised the illegals haven't already done it.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 03:38 PM
Ooohhhh, scary.

surprised the illegals haven't already done it.

Hell, illegals aren't the problem. The problem will be the people, who used to do the jobs that are now being done by the illegals.

okie52
6/29/2011, 03:39 PM
Hell, illegals aren't the problem. The problem will be the people, who used to do the jobs that are now being done by the illegals.

Surely they wouldn't get the connection and start killing illegals like unions do scabs.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 03:44 PM
Surely they wouldn't get the connection and start killing illegals like unions do scabs.

First of all, don't call me Shirley. Yes, they (union members) will turn on the Mexicans like they justifiably turn on scabs (is there a lower form of life). Then, they will kill the corporate heads. Simple as that.

okie52
6/29/2011, 03:49 PM
First of all, don't call me Shirley. Yes, they (union members) will turn on the Mexicans like they justifiably turn on scabs (is there a lower form of life). Then, they will kill the corporate heads. Simple as that.

Never happen. The corporate heads will just hire illegals to kill the union boys...particularly since since unions are such a small and diminishing percentage of the workforce today.

NormanPride
6/29/2011, 03:57 PM
Nuh, uh. We have a illegals wall which protects us from all illegallses. No fair cheating.

Howzit
6/29/2011, 04:01 PM

Let them have cake, and eat it too.

Jammin'
6/29/2011, 04:02 PM

Like every war since WWII?

saucysoonergal
6/29/2011, 04:02 PM
Let the me have cake, and eat it too.

I thought you liked boiled eggs?

Howzit
6/29/2011, 04:04 PM
I used to.

The
6/29/2011, 04:05 PM
I used to.

What happened?

saucysoonergal
6/29/2011, 04:05 PM
Oh, they call you the fireman, thats your name...

KABOOKIE
6/29/2011, 04:16 PM
There's no way in hell the unions could ever organize and lead an effective revolt. They'd bitch about not having the correct training manual on how to assualt a fortified position, cry out "BREAK TIME!!!" during a gun fight, strike at the first sign of losses and blame those evil republicans for sending their jerbs overseas.

I'm pretty sure Steve jobs and Bill Gates could destroy them fairly easily with a paid army of pissed off white people.

Chuck Bao
6/29/2011, 04:50 PM
Honestly, with the way our economic/fiscal policy has been over the last few decades I would welcome an outside force telling us to stop ****ing up.

I am really, really not a fan of either the World Bank or the IMF. Both have a very long history of FAIL. The really bad thing is that they extend loans and then forgive debt to third world countries without even making news or breaking a sweat. At the same time, they seem to be on the side of the big Wall Street investment banks and their hedge fund clients when a crisis hits.

Okay, what would expect if the banking versions of the UN were based in DC?

Yeah, I have full on hate and bias against current Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and his Wall Street and Ivy League cronies for wiping out a very large portion of Asian wealth and economies in "97 and pretty much setting the stage for what is happening now.

Yeah, let's put these brainiacs in charge.

Blue
6/29/2011, 05:34 PM

Create the problem and provide the solution and the lemmings go right ahead and forfeit the their rights and sovereignty. The US is screwed.

badger
6/29/2011, 05:44 PM
Greece update:
jfbnFquotlc

NormanPride
6/29/2011, 06:04 PM
Oh no doubt we'd be ****ed if we handed over finances to some world group. But if it got to that point we'd be ****ed either way. Might as well steal some world money and then blow them up so we don't have to pay it back. :D

Chuck Bao
6/29/2011, 06:14 PM
Oh no doubt we'd be ****ed if we handed over finances to some world group. But if it got to that point we'd be ****ed either way. Might as well steal some world money and then blow them up so we don't have to pay it back. :D

Are you crazy? Dealing with these bunch of people? We (meaning normal working people) are not going to come out ahead in any scenario in any alternative universe.

I was just staring about my computer screen and working on my daily stock market report and I came across this little gem picked up by a Thai newspaper.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Opec-oil-jumps-2-03-dollars-before-Greek-austerity-30158999.html

Opec oil jumps 2.03 dollars before Greek austerity vote

Vienna - The oil price of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) rose 2.03 dollars on the day before the Greek parliament was to vote on an austerity package on Wednesday, according to data issued by the cartel. Opec's basket price jumped to 103.59 dollars per barrel (159 litres) on Tuesday.

Oil prices were boosted by the expectation that legislators would vote for the measures that are a requirement for Greece to receive international aid and to avert bankruptcy. //DPA

badger
6/30/2011, 11:50 AM
Now that they passed cuts, they are going to start debating what gets cut, hehe.

I wonder if images like this scare our legislature, thinking how people would react if the economy sank further?
mvQZtBmQsN0

NormanPride
6/30/2011, 11:58 AM
What they SHOULD do is scare them that they're walking down a path that leads to anarchy. If they keep voting more money to the people without balancing the budget then we will face similar riots when the house of cards comes crashing down. Except we're much bigger than Greece.

Peach Fuzz
6/30/2011, 12:13 PM
We never think of it because human advancement has not seen this type of economic downfall in the day of technology. But it's plausible there could be a civil war someday... U.S. even, might be a long time, might be a few years...

A little off topic.

badger
6/30/2011, 12:19 PM
Considering how quickly flash mobs and other crap is organized, we might be in for some really really big sh!t going down. Thanks Zuckerberg...

StoopTroup
6/30/2011, 12:21 PM
Wait until they do a Flash Mob on an airplane and everyone on the flight goes to jail.

StoopTroup
6/30/2011, 12:23 PM
Now that they passed cuts, they are going to start debating what gets cut, hehe.

I wonder if images like this scare our legislature, thinking how people would react if the economy sank further?
mvQZtBmQsN0

That looks like Austin.

StoopTroup
6/30/2011, 12:27 PM
Remember....a Motorcycle Helmet and Bullet Proof vest are your friend as well as a homemade gas mask. You never know when a Flash Mob will spring up.

badger
6/30/2011, 12:47 PM
I remember a few years ago Greece citizens telling the press that Germany owed them a bailout after WW2 and that if they just paid back their wartime debts from their theft and destruction, Greece would not be in financial turmoil.

Yes, I think they said that with a straight face.

diverdog
6/30/2011, 03:57 PM
I am really, really not a fan of either the World Bank or the IMF. Both have a very long history of FAIL. The really bad thing is that they extend loans and then forgive debt to third world countries without even making news or breaking a sweat. At the same time, they seem to be on the side of the big Wall Street investment banks and their hedge fund clients when a crisis hits.

Okay, what would expect if the banking versions of the UN were based in DC?

Yeah, I have full on hate and bias against current Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and his Wall Street and Ivy League cronies for wiping out a very large portion of Asian wealth and economies in "97 and pretty much setting the stage for what is happening now.

Yeah, let's put these brainiacs in charge.

The real villian behind this disaster is Goldman. They buried them in debt and hid it from everyone.