PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Assessing the contenders: Oklahoma

JLEW1818
6/29/2011, 09:25 AM
this guy finally made a pretty good read.

Today, we'll start a new series.

Heading into the season, I see five teams in the Big 12 with a realistic chance to win the league. I'll be breaking them down in order (which won't be the same as my post-spring power rankings) of their chances to leave the season with the Big 12 title.

No. 1 on the list is no surprise. We'll begin with the favorites: Oklahoma.

Why the Sooners will win the Big 12

1. They've been there before. Don't underestimate the importance of experience on the big stage. Look back at Oklahoma's four biggest stages of 2010. All came away from home, and Oklahoma answered the bell all four times to win the Big 12 and the Fiesta Bowl. The Sooners jumped on Texas early and held on to win. Facing a third-and-long with a charging OSU team in Stillwater, Oklahoma threw a 76-yard touchdown pass. OSU answered by returning the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown, but Oklahoma iced the game with an 82-yard score. The Sooners erased a 17-0 deficit in the Big 12 title game against Nebraska to win. And against UConn, Oklahoma didn't play down to its opponent. Sure, the Sooners tripped up against A&M and Missouri on the road, but neither cost them the Big 12. I won't make this an entire point, but the truth is simple, too: Oklahoma is the best team in the Big 12 entering the season.

2. They can afford to lose a game. If anyone in the Big 12 gets through this year undefeated, it's going to be Oklahoma. Oklahoma hosts Texas A&M, and goes to Oklahoma State (who hasn't beaten the Sooners since 2002, despite being ranked five times since then, and ranked at home against OU three times) for a rematch of last year's classic. It's hard not to like Oklahoma's chances of holding a tiebreaker against fellow contenders OSU and A&M, which would allow for a possible stumble into a Big 12 road loss.

3. It cured its biggest weakness late in 2010. The problem with Oklahoma on the road in 2009 and the better part of 2010 wasn't so much "losing" on the road. It was playing way, way below its usual self on the road. That's why the dominant win over Baylor that preceded Bedlam was such a welcome sign for Sooner fans. Improving to 20-0 all-time against Baylor was no accomplishment, but beating it 53-24 was. It meant Oklahoma had found a way to take its top game on the road, which it did the following week at Oklahoma State and again against Nebraska, and once more in the Fiesta Bowl against UConn. I'd expect that to carry over into this year, and the Sooners will get a chance to prove it against Florida State in Tallahassee in its second game.

Why the Sooners won't win the Big 12

1. The secondary is young and unproven. Both safeties, Jonathan Nelson and All-American Quinton Carter, were NFL draft picks. Javon Harris slides in and will be joined by Aaron Colvin, a converted corner. Both earned rave reviews during the spring, but the fact remains: both have almost no experience at the position and will have to learn a lot as first-time starters. Harris played well against Oklahoma State in relief of an injured Nelson, and Colvin got a start at corner against Texas, but neither has shouldered the kind of weight they will face in the Big 12 this year. With the kind of passers they'll see in the Big 12, this possible weakness could be a problem. Demontre Hurst is solid at corner, but the status of All-Big 12 corner Jamell Fleming, arguably the Big 12's best returner at the position, is in doubt. If he's not back, Gabe Lynn, a sophomore with almost no experience, will start.

2. The pool of contenders is deep. Oklahoma may hold a tiebreaker against A&M and OSU, but what about the rest of the league? Despite what some believed after the Big 12 lost Nebraska, the entire league won't hinge on the Red River Rivalry -- at least not in 2011. There are a handful of other games that will have a heavy influence on the league. Oklahoma's won seven Big 12 titles in 11 years, but just beating Texas or Texas A&M or Oklahoma State won't be enough. Oklahoma's going to have to show up every week.

3. Special teams is uncertain. Oklahoma's punter Tress Way is one of the Big 12's best, but the Sooners could encounter problems elsewhere. Placekicker Jimmy Stevens was solid last year (19-of-23), but Oklahoma tended not to attempt deep kicks. The Sooners attempted just four kicks from beyond 40 yards last year, and none from beyond 50 yards. Stevens was 3-of-4 from 40 yards or longer, but his long was just 41 yards. Additionally, Oklahoma gave up key kickoff returns for touchdowns in losses against Texas A&M and Missouri and another in the fourth quarter that kept Oklahoma State alive. Sooner fans were clamoring for a special teams coordinator hire this offseason, but coach Bob Stoops didn't make one.

NormanPride
6/29/2011, 10:21 AM
Yup, that person is right. We have questions about physicality on the OL as well. We can pass block well, but who knows how our run game without DM will be.

jumperstop
6/29/2011, 10:25 AM
Good read. When will we know more about Flemming? Is it likely or unlikely?

Bourbon St Sooner
6/29/2011, 10:35 AM
Pretty much right on. To me, the biggest concerns are special teams, especially kick coverage and red zone production. If I remember right, we gave up 4 TDs on KO returns last year. That just should not happen. We also left too many points on the table by not scoring TDs in the red zone.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 10:38 AM
Good read. When will we know more about Flemming? Is it likely or unlikely?

Per this... http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155833

Fleming is likely.

SoonerofAlabama
6/29/2011, 10:51 AM
Ubben usually does a pretty good job. Good article. We definitely have some work to do, can't wait to see this season happen.

BoulderSooner79
6/29/2011, 12:54 PM
Personally, I hope Gabe Lynn beats out Fleming - academic cheating is not cool.

goingoneight
6/30/2011, 09:09 PM
It'd also be good to know an All-BIG 12 corner is your third-best corner...

Okie35
7/1/2011, 10:53 AM
I don't agree w/ 1 or 3 on why we would lose the Big 12. I guess they just needed reasons. 2 should've been 1, and 1 should be 3, 3 should be 2. Our special teams are usually a problem but late last year I started to have more confidence in our kicker(s). Our secondary won't be a problem unless our defensive line is.

Seamus
7/1/2011, 11:42 AM

Should he pay for that mistake for the rest of his life?

He was punished, and likely has more punishment coming (running, sitting out games).

Does he get an opportunity for redemption, or do we sit in judgment of him forever?

badger
7/1/2011, 11:47 AM

He was punished, and likely has more punishment coming (running, sitting out games).

Does he get an opportunity for redemption, or do we sit in judgment of him forever?

Judge him forever, without question. :mad:

;)

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2011, 01:01 PM

I said I hope he gets "beat out" as in Lynn wins the jobs on the field by being the better player. Not hoping for more punishment. I just wouldn't mind seeing a kid that didn't break the rules take advantage of his opportunity. I have no doubt that if Fleming get reinstated, he'll get plenty of PT regardless of whether he is listed as starter.

Sooner_Tuf
7/1/2011, 03:18 PM
Fleming has paid the price for his transgression. It has been reported he has been working out like a mad man on his own this summer.

He hasn't been let off the hook in any way shape or form. I don't have a problem with him coming back. That is just because I am not perfect either and know you have to work harder when you screw up.

SoonerInLubbock
7/1/2011, 03:51 PM
Pretty much right on. To me, the biggest concerns are special teams, especially kick coverage and red zone production. If I remember right, we gave up 4 TDs on KO returns last year. That just should not happen. We also left too many points on the table by not scoring TDs in the red zone.

The red zone issues were my biggest aggravation from last year. Of course I also recall Wilson insisting on running it up the middle with minimal success. We may see a different approach to RZ offense with J.H at the helm this year (perhaps).

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2011, 04:07 PM
I agree that red zone conversion was a huge issue last year. That's where I really hope that LJ steps up his game. Yes, sometimes KW would decide to run come hell or high water, but I saw plenty of times LJ couldn't pull the trigger. He would throw it away when he still had protection or when it appeared he has someone open, but not wide open. He looked like he didn't want to make the big mistake to an extent that he wouldn't make the big play either. I'm optimistic that with another spring and fall working with Josh that LJ will be more confident (but not reckless) in close.