6/29/2011, 08:47 AM
That's awesome.

tator
6/29/2011, 08:47 AM
Liquor stores are closed on Monday?

The
6/29/2011, 08:48 AM
Liquor stores are closed on Monday?

You've never spent much time in Oklahoma, have you?

tator
6/29/2011, 08:59 AM
You've never spent much time in a liquor store on a Monday, have you?
FIFY

What could possibly be the reason for it to be closed?

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2011, 09:01 AM
FIFY

What could possibly be the reason for it to be closed?

Baptists having control of our state legislature from statehood to the 1960's or whatever

yankee
6/29/2011, 09:03 AM
Blue lawls

The
6/29/2011, 09:03 AM
Blue lawls

Lulz.

tator
6/29/2011, 09:06 AM
But seriously, there has to be an actual reason, whether it's sensical or not. Too much drinking on the 4th? The 4th is a religious holiday? Jesus loves 'merica?

I'm not sure it matters a whole lot this year, most of the celebration will be on the preceding weekend.

The
6/29/2011, 09:08 AM
But seriously, there has to be an actual reason, whether it's sensical or not. Too much drinking on the 4th? The 4th is a religious holiday? Jesus loves 'merica?

I'm not sure it matters a whole lot this year, most of the celebration will be on the preceding weekend.

Oklahoma closes liquor stores on every federal holiday and during elections.

tator
6/29/2011, 09:10 AM
Progress as promised!!

It is illegal in the state of Oklahoma to sell packaged liquor for consumption "off-premises" on Sundays and holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. In addition, liquor stores can only be open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and even low-point beer can not be sold at grocery stores or convenience stores between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

As of 2007, liquor stores can now be open on election days.

Also, the all-knowing interweb machine said that the law is from prohibition days.

sooner_born_1960
6/29/2011, 09:11 AM
Now that everyone knows about it, you've got four days to buy your booze.

The
6/29/2011, 09:11 AM
Progress as promised!!

Also, the all-knowing interweb machine said that the law is from prohibition days.

Well, I'll be damned. I went and learned something useful today. Thanks, Innerwebs!

saucysoonergal
6/29/2011, 09:12 AM
So be sure to buy your Old Grandad on Saturday.

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2011, 09:14 AM
That liquor store always has something funny on their sign

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 09:16 AM
is it possible to buy enough liquor on saturday to last you thru the weekend/holiday?

soonercruiser
6/29/2011, 09:18 AM
So be sure to buy your Old Grandad on Saturday.

Xactly!
Drunks...plan ahead!

saucysoonergal
is it possible to buy enough liquor on saturday to last you thru the weekend/holiday?

If you have a Panel Van.

tator
How much room is on your credit card?

Mississippi Sooner
It's illegal to buy pot any day, but...you know.

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 09:19 AM
How much room is on your credit card?

enough.....

tator
6/29/2011, 09:20 AM
It's illegal to buy pot any day, but...you know.http://unionresourcecenter.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/train%2Bderailment1.jpg

saucysoonergal
6/29/2011, 09:22 AM
Tator, Casey Jones was high on cocaine.

rekamrettuB
6/29/2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure why folks complain about liquor stores being closed on holidays and Sundays. Who cares...plan ahead. If you can't plan ahead it's probably because you are too drunk and you don't need liquor that day.

The real problem is why are BBQ places not open on Sundays. Sunday is a great day for BBQ.

tator
6/29/2011, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure why folks complain about liquor stores being closed on holidays and Sundays. Who cares...plan ahead. If you can't plan ahead it's probably because you are too drunk and you don't need liquor that day.

The real problem is why are BBQ places not open on Sundays. Sunday is a great day for BBQ.
<obligatory taking our freedoms away slowly post>

JohnnyMack
6/29/2011, 10:00 AM

Is that really the point?

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:02 AM
Is that really the point?

adapt and overcome

see, i learned that in the military

if in the middle of the night when the beer store is closed - and i want a beer....i make sure i already have some

besides, what loser leaves his 4th of July celebration because he ran out of booze?

poor planning prevents **** poor purchasing

thecynic
6/29/2011, 10:09 AM
How hard is it to plan ahead? go buy it today. it will keep. My beer fridge is stocked and ready to go.

tator
6/29/2011, 10:10 AM
It's not. And I'm not much of a drinker anymore, I probably won't even go to the liquor store. It just doesn't make any sense that it would be closed.

yermom
6/29/2011, 10:13 AM
adapt and overcome

if in the middle of the night when the beer store is closed - and i want a beer....i make sure i already have some

besides, what loser leaves his 4th of July celebration because he ran out of booze?

then you should pray before you get to whereever too :D

Jacie
6/29/2011, 10:13 AM
Some of you are acting like you just stepped out of a spaceship. Learning the local liquor laws is the first thing you do when you move somewhere, not wait until you come up against them.

The
6/29/2011, 10:14 AM
Some of you are acting like you just stepped out of a spaceship. Learning the local liquor laws is the first thing you do when you move somewhere, not wait until you come up against them.

Yes, you always liquor before you come up against them.

Otherwise, you're snowballin'.

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:14 AM
then you should pray before you get to whereever too :D

i pray everyday!

got it covered, but thanks for the reminder

maybe those people working in the booze stores want to celebrate Mericuh too!

JohnnyMack
6/29/2011, 10:18 AM
adapt and overcome

It's just one of those examples where the hypocrisy of neo-cons is exposed. Proof they don't really want smaller government. How about letting responsible adults make their own informed decisions?

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:18 AM
so neo-cons are now responsible for the liquor laws?

too funny

The
6/29/2011, 10:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5j62G.jpg

JohnnyMack
6/29/2011, 10:25 AM
so neo-cons are now responsible for the liquor laws?

too funny

They're certainly not moving this state towards a smaller, less intrusive government, now are they?

Position Limit
6/29/2011, 10:26 AM
i applaud those with the skillful planning of liquor purchasing and adaptibility to these wonderful, well thought out laws. it's a very good answer to why they exist. these laws are just a small example of many well thought out laws and legislation that have put oklahoma at the top of the list of many categories. onward we march. i will begin my planning now.

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:27 AM
They're certainly not moving this state towards a smaller, less intrusive government, now are they?

you should move now before they turn into zombies and eat your entire family

JohnnyMack
6/29/2011, 10:29 AM
you should move now before they turn into zombies and eat your entire family

If I move it'll be because of this weather.

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 10:37 AM
adapt and overcome

But that's the whole point of the sign, JK. Our nation's founders didn't "adapt and overcome" when England was trying to impose unfair taxes on them. They finally said "eff this bulls**t" and went to war. Sure we can plan ahead* and work around stupid, pointless laws... but we shouldn't have to do so.

*please note I will not be drinking anything other than lemonade on Independence Day this year. :D

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:39 AM
But that's the whole point of the sign, JK. Our nation's founders didn't "adapt and overcome" when England was trying to impose unfair taxes on them. They finally said "eff this bulls**t" and went to war. Sure we can plan ahead and work around stupid, pointless laws... but we shouldn't have to.

*please note I will not be drinking anything other than lemonade on Independence Day this year. :D

do you wear your seat belt or avoid it in protest of the oppression?

glad to hear you arent drinking while baby on board!

JohnnyMack
6/29/2011, 10:39 AM

Next year you can get back to being drunk by 1:30, throwing up in the pool and losing your shoes.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 10:47 AM
<obligatory taking our freedoms away slowly post>

From the same guy who says the same damn thing every time. Best laid plans...meets free will= stay the **** out my bidness.

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 10:50 AM
do you wear your seat belt or avoid it in protest of the oppression?

glad to hear you arent drinking while baby on board!

1) I wore my seat belt before there was ever a law telling me I had to.

2) Requiring seat belts is hardly stupid and pointless in the face of overwhelming evidence that seat belts save lives in the event of a crash.

3) Driving on a public roadway is not a fundamental right.

As a sidenote, do me a favor and edit my quote in your post to change that last "too" to a "to." Please take pity on the pregnant lady, I was multi-tasking when I posted that by accident, and those are the kinds of errors that make me want to throw up.

yankee
6/29/2011, 10:51 AM
I have a solution. Don't live in Oklahoma!!!!11

Come to TX, our beer is more potent too. Just ask olevet!

rekamrettuB
6/29/2011, 10:51 AM
JC looks a lot like Shooter Jennings.

http://i.imgur.com/5j62G.jpg

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:54 AM

2) Requiring seat belts is hardly stupid and pointless in the face of overwhelming evidence that seat belts save lives in the event of a crash.

As a sidenote, do me a favor and edit my quote in your post to change that last "too" to a "to." Please take pity on the pregnant lady, I was multi-tasking when I posted that by accident, and those are the kinds of errors that make me want to throw up.

welp, all i can suggest is that you gather up all those who are up in arms over the alcohol laws and get em changed!

sooner_born_1960
6/29/2011, 10:55 AM
I thought she meant "but we shouldn't have, also"

OUMallen
6/29/2011, 10:57 AM

The Contitution actually does guarantee as a fundamental right the right for citizens to move about as they please. The US government cannot restrict us from moving about within the country without reason...

Said that to say: it would be an interesting challenge to say that we have the FUNDAMENTAL right to drive on public roads, assuming all other laws are being followed.

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 10:57 AM
welp, all i can suggest is that you gather up all those who are up in arms over the alcohol laws and get em changed!

You are a gentleman and a scholar for changing my post. XOXOXO. :O

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 10:59 AM
i wont tell "you know who" about the X's and O's either! :)

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 11:00 AM
The Contitution actually does guarantee as a fundamental right the right for citizens to move about as they please. The US government cannot restrict us from moving about within the country without reason...

Said that to say: it would be an interesting challenge to say that we have the FUNDAMENTAL right to drive on public roads, assuming all other laws are being followed.

You are the lawyer, and I am not, but suffice it to say I just don't think you'd get very far with that argument.

The
6/29/2011, 11:00 AM
This thread is now reserved for swingers.

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 11:01 AM
Pregnant, teetotalling swingers are probably the least fun.

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 11:02 AM
Pregnant, teetotalling swingers are the probably the least fun.

hell no- i want to be sober for that experience

numb the pain? no way

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:02 AM
Pregnant, teetotalling swingers are probably the least fun.

If I fix this will I get XOXOXOXO too?

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 11:10 AM
If I fix this will I get XOXOXOXO too?

JEEEEEBUS... You would think I have been drinking. :mad:

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:11 AM
c'mere.

Viking Kitten
6/29/2011, 11:13 AM
I have a headache. *lies very still*

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:13 AM
This won't take long....

The
6/29/2011, 11:15 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QEP7m-Y7IZY/TO_fBA43KxI/AAAAAAAAAAU/Cb67seZ-no0/s1600/TPhil.jpg

MR2-Sooner86
6/29/2011, 11:19 AM
There are three truths in life:
Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

The pastor of a poor Baptist church passed away and the congregation went into town to take up a collection for the funeral. "Would you give $5 to bury the Baptist preacher?" "Here's $10," said the atheist, "bury two of them."

Alright, now that that's out of my system we can see those who see no problem with this don't have two words in their vocabulary and those word are 'fun' and 'freedom.'

For a bunch of people who talk about "free market economics" you sure don't have a problem taking millions away from all the liquor store owners who would surely make a nice chunk of change.

Neo-cons, they hate big government, unless it's their big wacky-religious big government.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:21 AM
For a bunch of people who talk about "free market economics" you sure don't have a problem taking millions away from all the liquor store owners who would surely make a nice chunk of change.

They'll make it on Saturday. People will not do without they drink.

tator
6/29/2011, 11:23 AM
From the same guy who says the same damn thing every time. Best laid plans...meets free will= stay the **** out my bidness.
I truthfully don't follow you, but if you are saying that the law is stupid (as well as the law concerning being closed on Sunday) then I agree with you.

MR2-Sooner86
6/29/2011, 11:23 AM
They'll make it on Saturday. People will not do without they drink.

If that's the case I guess we can shut down all gas stations, Walmarts, and anything else as obviously people will plan ahead of time, buy it Saturday, and no stores will have lost revenue. In fact that's a good idea because then everybody can have the 4th of July off.

sooner_born_1960
6/29/2011, 11:25 AM
Why should they ever have to close. Name one other retail establishment who's hours of operation are dictated by the state.

tator
6/29/2011, 11:25 AM
Why should they ever have to close. Name one other retail establishment who's hours of operation are dictated by the state.
Bar :D

sooner_born_1960
6/29/2011, 11:26 AM
OK. Name two.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:26 AM
If that's the case I guess we can shut down all gas stations, Walmarts, and anything else as obviously people will plan ahead of time, buy it Saturday, and no stores will have lost revenue. In fact that's a good idea because then everybody can have the 4th of July off.

I don't think the sales of those businesses are as regulated as alcohol or else you probably could. If the majority of businesses closed for the holiday, I would not GAS as long as I knew about it ahead of time and could buy what I needed to buy if I needed to buy it.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:27 AM
OK. Name two.

All of the ones involving the sale of alcohol.

The
6/29/2011, 11:28 AM
I don't think the sales of those businesses are as regulated as alcohol or else you probably could. If the majority of businesses closed for the holiday, I would not GAS as long as I knew about it ahead of time and could buy what I needed to buy if I needed to buy it.

I think you're on to something here, wob;cwjubc.

DEREGULATE THE ALCOHOL INDUSTRY.

texaspokieokie
In TX, car dealer ships can only be open on sat. or sun.; but not both.

one of the few remaining blue laws.

actually, car dealers want it this way. sell same number of cars, in 6 days instead of 7.

cuts overhead.

Mongo
car dealerships

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:29 AM
I think you're on to something here, wob;cwjubc.

DEREGULATE THE ALCOHOL INDUSTRY.

Go to the dentist.

sooner_born_1960
In TX, car dealer ships can only be open on sat. or sun.; but not both.

one of the few remaining blue laws.

actually, car dealers want it this way. sell same number of cars, in 6 days instead of 7.

cuts overhead.

In Oklahoma, cars cannot be sold on Sunday.

The
Go to the dentist.

Lose some weight.

sooner_born_1960
So, that's three.

Dio
6/29/2011, 11:30 AM
Last time I checked the Dems had a stranglehold on the Okla House and Senate until what, 3 years ago? IOW- if you think this state is a ****hole, thank a Democrat.

AND- the liquor store lobby has waaaay more to do with our crappy liquor laws than the baptists.

soonerchk
6/29/2011, 11:31 AM

Wouldn't poor planning cause this instead of preventing it? I could be reading the **** wrong, but I doubt it.

texaspokieokie

see, that's dumb !!!
but who cares.
i might've cared before i retired.

tator
Regulations state that whore houses must be closed 7 days a week

The
6/29/2011, 11:32 AM

Unless you're filming it, oddly enough.

Mississippi Sooner
6/29/2011, 11:32 AM

Not only can't be sold, but they can't even quote you a price. And yet the dealers can be open on Sunday. I've never understood that one.

tator
6/29/2011, 11:33 AM
Unless you're filming it, oddly enough.
Are you coming on to me?

texaspokieokie

except in the whole state of nev; excluding clark co.

NormanPride
I love Oklahoma and am very happy with my life within its borders. I would like Alcohol to be deregulated, but that does not make me feel that the state is not taking care of its citizens.

The
Are you coming on to me?

I don't even know anymore.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:35 AM
Are you coming on me?

PM sent.

Jammin'
6/29/2011, 11:41 AM
It's illegal to buy pot any day, but...you know.

It is strange that, if I wanted to, I could buy pot on the 4th but not alcohol.

Unless anyone knows a good black market alcohol guy?

texaspokieokie
6/29/2011, 11:42 AM
It is strange that, if I wanted to, I could buy pot on the 4th but not alcohol.

Unless anyone knows a good black market alcohol guy?

you mean, like a bootlegger ???

Mongo
6/29/2011, 11:47 AM
PM sent.

:bsmf:

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:48 AM
:bsmf:

You have always been a sucker for neck jewelry.

Jammin'
6/29/2011, 11:49 AM
you mean, like a bootlegger ???

That's the word. Is Switzer's dad still alive? I hear vet's out of business these days.

texaspokieokie
6/29/2011, 11:52 AM
That's the word. Is Switzer's dad still alive? I hear vet's out of business these days.

used to be a lot of them in Okmulgee. surely all over OK.

booze was cheaper and easier obtained before the state went wet.
they got it in MO where it was cheaper, due to low taxes.

some of them would deliver it to your door.

delhalew
6/29/2011, 11:53 AM
I truthfully don't follow you, but if you are saying that the law is stupid (as well as the law concerning being closed on Sunday) then I agree with you.

The poster you quoted always says, "just plan ahead". Because, you know, the state legislature living in tour rectum is perfectly fine.

Mjcpr
6/29/2011, 11:53 AM

Even on the 4th of July or did you have to stock up before the holiday?

Jammin'
6/29/2011, 11:54 AM

So like weed dealers but in the distant past. Thanks?

texaspokieokie
6/29/2011, 11:59 AM
So like weed dealers but in the distant past. Thanks?

yep, but it was legal until you took it out of MO, or wherever you bought it.

knew a BL from tulsa, had a big 54 olds with a really hot cadillac engine.
back in the 50s.

state voted Wet in 59, i think.

Jammin'
6/29/2011, 12:10 PM
yep, but it was legal until you took it out of MO, or wherever you bought it.

knew a BL from tulsa, had a big 54 olds with a really hot cadillac engine.
back in the 50s.

state voted Wet in 59, i think.

<---born, in MO, in 73.

And I believe I was talking about this coming up Monday, stop living in the past old timer. :D

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't poor planning cause this instead of preventing it? I could be reading the **** wrong, but I doubt it.

you're right, that should have been "proper" planning

thank you for the correction

sooner59
6/29/2011, 12:57 PM
Ever have a busy day and you finally get done with everything and just want a drink, and you arrive at the liquor store at 9:02 pm? That'll pizz ya off right there.

Ever get some good news on Sunday that you don't have to come in to work on Monday and want to get your drink on...but the liquor store is closed? That sucks.

Ever find a really good recipe that calls for a dark red wine...or you think of how nice a certain wine would go with the dinner you are making...but its Sunday? Effing eff, man.

sooner59
6/29/2011, 12:59 PM
BTW, why in the hell don't they sell wine in grocery stores in Oklahoma? Jesus turned water into wine. Even the Baptists could get on board with that. :confused:

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 01:00 PM
i think some of you need a 12 step program ;)

JDMT
6/29/2011, 01:01 PM
Ever have a busy day and you finally get done with everything and just want a drink, and you arrive at the liquor store at 9:02 pm? That'll pizz ya off right there.

Ever get some good news on Sunday that you don't have to come in to work on Monday and want to get your drink on...but the liquor store is closed? That sucks.

Ever find a really good recipe that calls for a dark red wine...or you think of how nice a certain wine would go with the dinner you are making...but its Sunday? Effing eff, man.

Boonesfarm my friend, boonesfarm.

sooner59
6/29/2011, 01:01 PM
You say that like its a bad thing...

sooner59
6/29/2011, 01:02 PM
Boonesfarm my friend, boonesfarm.

Get out. Just turn around and get out. :P

SpankyNek
6/29/2011, 01:52 PM
A bit of a different direction here (Although I think MR-82 mentioned it). I do not think that any business should be able to require employees to work on Federal Holidays. If you have enough volunteers or run an owner operated business, that is a different matter.. There should never be any restriction on days/hours of operation for licensed businesses otherwise.

OU Adonis
6/29/2011, 02:55 PM
Are you coming on me?

Fixed for you.

texaspokieokie
6/29/2011, 03:18 PM
<---born, in MO, in 73.

And I believe I was talking about this coming up Monday, stop living in the past old timer. :D

i'm giving you the benefit of my experience & historical knowledge.:)

Jammin'
6/29/2011, 03:30 PM
i'm giving you the benefit of my experience & historical knowledge.:)

I do appreciate the lesson. Just make sure the "giving" ends at that. I finally got rid of the crabs and don't need anything new popping up.

texaspokieokie
6/29/2011, 03:31 PM
nope, that's it.:D