PDA

View Full Version : Othello’s owners announce closure

Fraggle145
6/28/2011, 02:35 PM
http://normantranscript.com/new/x143829439/Othello-s-owners-announce-closure

June 28, 2011
Othello’s owners announce closure
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — The Morgan family, owners of Othello's on historic Campus Corner, have closed the restaurant effective today.

See Wednesday’s Transcript for details.

:(

Details? Anyone? Bueller?

Mississippi Sooner
6/28/2011, 02:36 PM
Does Switzer know about this?

Boomer.....
6/28/2011, 02:53 PM
I'm going to miss their garlic rolls.

delhalew
6/28/2011, 02:58 PM
That is a ****ing disaster.

SoonerLVZ
6/28/2011, 03:14 PM
wow. that totally sucks.
Great in depth article from the Norman Transcript also.

Soonerfan88
6/28/2011, 03:35 PM
I thought they were already closed down earlier this year because of money issues.

mgsooner
6/28/2011, 03:38 PM
Oh noes!

okie52
6/28/2011, 03:43 PM
I wonder if they will close the one in Edmond?

delhalew
6/28/2011, 03:52 PM
Why wouldn't someone take the lease, and keep a piece of history alive.

When The Point in L5P Atlanta closed down, there was literally no point. Losing Othello's would be huge blow to Campus Corner.

yermom
6/28/2011, 03:58 PM
i don't know about "huge" but it will suck

has anyone heard from Dean? :(

WichitaSooner
6/28/2011, 03:59 PM
Why wouldn't someone take the lease, and keep a piece of history alive.

When The Point in L5P Atlanta closed down, there was literally no point. Losing Othello's would be huge blow to Campus Corner.

It's not quite that easy... what I heard was the current owners were not told about a loan that was attached to the property and have been in litigation involving that loan itself. That is what is making it cost prohibitive to continue to operate.

Just what I heard.

NormanPride
6/28/2011, 03:59 PM
How can a place like this fail?

MR2-Sooner86
6/28/2011, 04:10 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/c/9/5c98ee2f8ccd0ee0ef08f9db59c7a4ba.png

Partial Qualifier
6/28/2011, 04:13 PM

I know someone who was part of the kitchen management there for a few years and he's always said the owner is a flake and practices (practiced?) shady business operations.

The one in Edmond has a completely different ownership, from what I understand

Sooner11JK
6/28/2011, 05:38 PM
I know someone who was part of the kitchen management there for a few years and he's always said the owner is a flake and practices (practiced?) shady business operations.

The one in Edmond has a completely different ownership, from what I understand

I believe you are talking about the former owner. The latest owners were good people and had really turned that restaurant around, which makes me inclined to believe the loan theory. The previous owner was a putz.

StoopTroup
6/28/2011, 05:54 PM
I had some good food there. They were OK.

thecynic
6/28/2011, 05:54 PM
Brent Musberger used to get his drunk on in there

jumperstop
6/28/2011, 06:02 PM
Never been, didn't ever look that great anyways. Victoria's or whatever it's called right over there is awesome though. There is a lot on CC without Othello's. Hell it really wasn't even on the corner and kinda in the back alley where you wouldn't know it was there, well I didn't know it was there until like a couple years back.

yermom
6/28/2011, 06:03 PM
it has a full Italian menu though

i love Victorias, but it's not really an Italian restaurant

jumperstop
6/28/2011, 06:06 PM
it has a full Italian menu though

i love Victorias, but it's not really an Italian restaurant

Ehh, if I get Italian I go to Corino's. It's normally pretty good.

yermom
6/28/2011, 06:35 PM
Carino's isn't bad, but chains are generally FTL

i'd rather go to a local place

delhalew
6/28/2011, 06:49 PM
When it comes to Othello's, it is more of an institution, than an eatery. I have drank a round with some heavy hitters in that place. The lore that lives in those walls boggles the mind.

Lott's Bandana
6/28/2011, 07:16 PM
Where is Calvin going to hang out?

I'm glad I ate there two weeks ago. Wish I'd had the Delmonico though. I'll miss those.

yankee
6/28/2011, 07:20 PM
I bet Campus Corner somehow survives.............

C&CDean
6/28/2011, 08:04 PM
Ehh, if I get Italian I go to Corino's. It's normally pretty good.

You must me an unmitigated fag. Corino's? Geez. That's like saying I go to Mickey D's for a gourmet hamburger, or Taco Mayo for Messican. Geez again.

I haven't talked to them to find out what's up (I ain't talked to anybody since I've been in the hayfield since June 1) but I'd assume it's simply $$. Neither one of them (the owners) have any kind of background/capital to be running a biz the size of Othello's. I hope someone comes along to salvage it, cause it's an allsome place.

C&CDean
6/28/2011, 08:05 PM
Oh, and Victoria's is nice, but it ain't anywhere close to Italian. It's a trendy pasta joint. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mongo
6/28/2011, 09:12 PM
there is no such thing as "good Italian food". it is all the same no matter where you go.

StoopTroup
6/28/2011, 09:17 PM
I had some good times with some folks there in the last few years. I have even gone there after they reminded me of how awesome it was back in the day.

hawaii 5-0
6/28/2011, 09:20 PM
Othellos wasn't always there. Big deal.

I was much more upset to lose Dencos. Or Town Tavern.

5-0

Trump/ Ernie 2012

SoCaliSooner
6/28/2011, 09:23 PM
there is no such thing as "good Italian food". it is all the same no matter where you go.

Especially for those whose taste is merely spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, and chicken parmagian...

AlboSooner
6/28/2011, 09:26 PM
If you can get Geno of Ny Pizza to make you a chicken ala francesa, that's good italian food, but other than that I agree with mongo.

Mongo
6/28/2011, 09:35 PM
Especially for those whose taste is merely spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, and chicken parmagian...

hate pasta in general. never been wowed by anything else eyetalian.

hawaii 5-0
6/28/2011, 09:40 PM
hate pasta in general. never been wowed by anything else eyetalian.

In that case enjoy your baloney and cheeze sammiches. (Cheese Whiz preferred?)

5-0

Trump/ Zia 2012

Mongo
6/28/2011, 09:43 PM
I probably eat healthier than your spam eatin hawaiian ***.

hawaii 5-0
6/28/2011, 09:50 PM
I probably eat healthier than your spam eatin hawaiian ***.

I never cared for Spam. You can get it with eggs or pancakes for breakfast at McDonalds here.

Locals here also boast about the Spam Musubi at 7/11s.

5-0

Trump/ Kimo 2012

Mongo
6/28/2011, 09:52 PM
cheese curd eating ex-wisconson ***?

Soonerus
6/28/2011, 09:53 PM
Owners got foreclosed out months ago, the operators of Othello's were leasees paying way below market rent...new owners got tired of it...it was the right business move for the new owners...

Whet
6/28/2011, 09:54 PM
V1bFr2SWP1I

Fraggle145
6/28/2011, 10:03 PM
If you can get Geno of Ny Pizza to make you a chicken ala francesa, that's good italian food, but other than that I agree with mongo.

I dont think he is even Italian. He is a New Yorker. IF I am thinking of the right one...

hawaii 5-0
6/28/2011, 10:16 PM
V1bFr2SWP1I

I think Braddah Iz liked his Spam........and rice.....and manapua........and poi.......lomi salmon......lau lau.......pipikaula and about anything else he could stuff in his mouth. What a loss!

5-0

Trump/ Waihele 2012

hawaii 5-0
6/28/2011, 10:22 PM
cheese curd eating ex-wisconson ***?

I brought back a bunch from my trip a month ago. And string cheese. And Baby Swiss. And Aged Swiss. And Aged Cheddar. And Aged Parmesan.

I think the total cost was around $100. Of course I gave away 2/3ds of it to friends. Gotta keep them happy.

Oh, and I had one request for a CheeseHead.

I love that fresh cheese. Especially squeeky curds.

5-0

Trump/ Bloatsie 2012

sooner59
6/29/2011, 01:44 AM
Sucks it had to go. But the best Italian places are the smaller ones. The best I have had in the state were in Ardmore and Owasso. Italians actually working there, and some barely spoke English (and no they weren't Mexican). Luigi's in Ardmore used to be good but has gone down hill. Napoli's in Owasso (also in other Tulsa locations is better and my new favorite) is probably the best I have had.

Boomer.....
6/29/2011, 07:32 AM
We ate at Primo's the other night and loved it. Probably will be our go-to Italian restaurant.

Lott's Bandana
6/29/2011, 08:16 AM
I think Braddah Iz liked his Spam........and rice.....and manapua........and poi.......lomi salmon......lau lau.......pipikaula and about anything else he could stuff in his mouth. What a loss!

5-0

Trump/ Waihele 2012

My ex was Iz's nurse when he was trying to survive his last year at Queen's Medical Center.

There was a huge sign on the outside of his door that read: No Outside Food Allowed.

Still, his friends brought in what he loved and she told me about him scooping poi out of a quart jar with two gigantic fingers and eating it plain.

I never liked poi...with rice, poke, nuthin.

When Iz passed his weight was over 760lbs. A number that the Queen's staff was sworn to secrecy about...

picasso
6/29/2011, 08:21 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo!!!

The
6/29/2011, 08:24 AM
I used to nail a waitress that worked there.

OutlandTrophy
6/29/2011, 08:25 AM
Marge?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/29/2011, 08:36 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/c/9/5c98ee2f8ccd0ee0ef08f9db59c7a4ba.png

Don't tell me they let h shrink to zero. Can't go it alone.

yankee
6/29/2011, 08:47 AM
Never been, but it didn't get a very good rating on Yelp or Urpanspoon. That's all I need to know. I bet something better replaces it. How 'bout another burrito shop, we don't have enough of those!

OutlandTrophy
6/29/2011, 08:55 AM
kids are stupid

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2011, 09:00 AM
We ate at Primo's the other night and loved it. Probably will be our go-to Italian restaurant.

I heartily agree with this. Nothing fancy, just dang good.

Okay... I'm almost afraid to ask: what's y'allses opinion of Benvenuti's?

OutlandTrophy
6/29/2011, 09:03 AM

It's a little too fancy for me but my wife loves it. Wild boar ragu? I do like the food I'm just scared of a lot of the menu.

Boomer.....
6/29/2011, 09:07 AM

We've only ate there once but loved it. It is too pricey to eat there all of the time though.

Lott's Bandana
6/29/2011, 09:22 AM
We've only ate there once but loved it. It is too pricey to eat there all of the time though.

This^

Hoss is a nice guy and the 'ole Interurban is in great shape, but BV has to be a special occasion on my budget.

Boomer.....
8/23/2011, 07:49 AM
Othellos back in business under new ownership

NORMAN — Sisters Jennifer and Nancy Weiss are excited about reopening Othellos in Norman. After a brief close-down during the change of ownership, the restaurant opened for business Aug. 16.

Othellos has been a Norman landmark for the past 30 to 40 years and will be returning to the tastes and original recipes that earned it a spot as one of the city’s favorites, the Weiss sisters said.

“We both used to work here when we went to school here (at the University of Oklahoma), so it’s coming back home for us,” Jennifer Weiss said. She will manage the Norman location.

The sisters are co-owners with their parents, Bob and Tammy Weiss, who also own the Edmond Othellos.

“Our goal is to bring it back to the original Othellos the way it was when Patsy (Benso) owned it,” Jennifer Weiss said. “We’ll have the original sauce, the original recipes.”

The Weiss family has been in the restaurant business all of the sisters’ lives, including a catering business and the former London House.

The Edmond Othellos opened 12 years ago. Patsy Benso, the original Norman Othellos owner, trained the Edmond cooks and passed along her original recipes.

For a time, Howard Klubeck owned the Norman location. He and Bob Weiss were fraternity brothers and close friends, which is how the Weiss family got involved. The Edmond location was its own restaurant, however, and the Norman location changed hands and went through various transformations.

Now the Weiss family will restore the Norman Othellos to its time-honored menu, even while adding a few new selections, including patron-created favorites.

So far, the restaurant is getting off to a great start.

“We’ve seen a lot of regulars come back,” Jennifer Weiss said.

Some of those dedicated customers have been around since she worked for the restaurant during her school days.

“We’ve also seen a lot of new customers,” she said.

The authentic, homemade Italian recipes are made to order. Pizza is hand-tossed, New York style. Classic piatti (dishes) like spaghetti, alfredo, seafood and ravioli retain their simplicity.

“If something’s not on the menu and we have the ingredients, we’ll make it for you,” Nancy Weiss said.

The half-priced pizzas and live entertainment on Sundays have been popular and the demand is growing as word gets out.

Live entertainment is offered Thursday through the weekend.

“Sunday is our busiest day in Edmond, and there are a lot of restaurants closed on Campus Corner, so I think it will do very well here,” Jennifer Weiss said.

The wine list has been expanded and improved to include a wider range of Italian wines.

For the Weiss sisters, it’s all about famiglia (family), and Norman feels a lot like home.

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x141817635/Othellos-back-in-business-under-new-ownership

unbiasedtruth
8/23/2011, 08:02 AM
used to live just north of there, old house is now a parking lot.... havent been there since the early to mid 80's

SoonersEnFuego
8/23/2011, 08:46 AM
http://normantranscript.com/x981130266/Othello-s-to-reopen-with-new-owners

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 09:17 AM
"The Edmond Othellos opened 12 years ago. Patsy Benso, the original Norman Othellos owner, trained the Edmond cooks and passed along her original recipes."

Patsy is a guy. This writer doesn't have a ****ing clue.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 12:37 PM
No kidding.

Patsy is an old, mafioso looking guy...no mistaking gender there.

<facepalm>

Boomer.....
8/23/2011, 12:41 PM
His restaurant on Lindsey is always completely dead. I doubt it's his only source of income. ;)

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 12:46 PM
His restaurant on Lindsey is always completely dead. I doubt it's his only source of income. ;)

His brother sits alone in Toto's every single night. Been that way since it was actually popular in the '70's.

Norman has many myths and legends...those two are one of them.

Lawton4Life
8/23/2011, 01:01 PM

I know a couple of people who gave it to Nancy

mgsooner
8/23/2011, 01:17 PM

No you didn't.

No, no I didn't. But you can imagine what it'd be like if I did, right?

Boomer.....
8/23/2011, 01:21 PM
His brother sits alone in Toto's every single night. Been that way since it was actually popular in the '70's.

Norman has many myths and legends...those two are one of them.

Ahh Toto's. I have grown up my whole life in Norman and never ate there. Shame on me.

New York Pizza is another mystery. I've heard of plenty of suited up gentlemen coming out of a said basement in that place.

StoopTroup
8/23/2011, 01:31 PM
No you didn't.

Heh....especially since patsy is a dude and Waitress are probably Waiters.

This thread is greatness.

I need a Pizza.

Barry's_Scowl
8/23/2011, 01:57 PM
Does Switzer know about this?

I have it on good authority that he does not approve.

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 03:23 PM
Speaking of The King, he was eating lunch yesterday in the Midway Deli. He eats there a lot. After lunch, he was chatting it up with a bunch of hot, young college girls. They were fawning over his old butt like he was Johnny Depp or something. These two chicas were both texting at the same time and Barry goes "so, you two texting each other?" with a million dollar grin. They both almost dropped their phones and were falling all over themselves flirting with him. He kicks back against the counter and began holding court. Momma and I cracked up.

As we were walking out momma goes "hi coach" and he goes "hello ma'am. How are you today?" She went all verklempt and stammered and turned all red in the face. At 70-something, dude still has it going on.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 03:33 PM
He doesn't walk so well anymore, but when has that ever been his calling-card anyhoo?

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 03:38 PM
I felt sorry for him when he got up from eating his gumbo. Barely shuffles anymore. I think he recently had hip replacement or some type of leg surgery. Once he got propped up against the counter, he was Sir Studly. Heh.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 04:53 PM
Was Kathy with him? He rarely gets around town these days without her.

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 04:59 PM
Nay, by hisself. Driving the block long gray Mercedes with no tags. Guess when you're the King, you don't need no stinking tags.

StoopTroup
8/23/2011, 07:10 PM
Speaking of The King, he was eating lunch yesterday in the Midway Deli. He eats there a lot. After lunch, he was chatting it up with a bunch of hot, young college girls. They were fawning over his old butt like he was Johnny Depp or something. These two chicas were both texting at the same time and Barry goes "so, you two texting each other?" with a million dollar grin. They both almost dropped their phones and were falling all over themselves flirting with him. He kicks back against the counter and began holding court. Momma and I cracked up.

As we were walking out momma goes "hi coach" and he goes "hello ma'am. How are you today?" She went all verklempt and stammered and turned all red in the face. At 70-something, dude still has it going on.

I've seen him hit on guys Wives right in front of their Hubbies and some of the Hubbies I wonder if they wouldn't go to work on Monday showing the pics he took of the King secsing up their Wife....lol.

I was across the bar when my Wife was trying to get him to sign these two First Editions of Bootlegger Boy for me. He didn't know I was there but she said he hit on her. I don't think he can talk to any Woman anymore without hitting on them. There is the reason his Nickname is "The King". I'd still punch him if he hit on my Wife right in front of me, but I'd pull up and not give him the "Mama said Knock You Out" punch. The Dude is 70 for Gods Sake. :D

StoopTroup
8/23/2011, 07:17 PM
Also, it would be embarrassing if his 70 year old *** swept up the floor with me but I'd be prouder of saying he kicked my *** rather than stole my Wife...lol

Imagine if we found out it was Mike Gundy that stole SicEm-Ex? :D ;)

btk108
8/23/2011, 07:38 PM
sounds like Al Eschbach has taken down another restaurant. :victorious:

StoopTroup
8/23/2011, 10:42 PM
Who is Al Eschbach? The Normal Radio Announcer or the Sticky Radio Announcer?

Soonerus
8/23/2011, 11:05 PM
You are full of **** on Switzer...knock it off...he is a guy but knock off the other stuff, he is a gentleman....

sperry
8/24/2011, 12:06 AM
Every time I go to Patsy's there are plenty of people dining. Toto's, on the other hand, does not ever have anyone in there. That's a tax shelter/ money laundering outfit for sure.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2011, 11:55 AM
Every time I go to Patsy's there are plenty of people dining. Toto's, on the other hand, does not ever have anyone in there. That's a tax shelter/ money laundering outfit for sure.

There is no Fight Club.

Lawton4Life
8/24/2011, 12:07 PM
Joe's Taverna gets the pizza they serve from Totos...but then again if you think Joe isnt connected then you're crazy.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/24/2011, 01:12 PM
Where is Calvin going to hang out?

This...

Othello's was a place to see big hitters. Many times saw The King getting his drunk on. I gotten a drunk on there as well, but no one would notice... ;) Sad to here of its demise. Don't know who the owner was when I was in school, there was always some rumor of mafia...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/24/2011, 02:43 PM
I've eaten there twice. I must have caught it on the wrong night or ordered the wrong thing because it really just tasted like microwaved Chef Boyardee.

btk108
8/24/2011, 02:44 PM
ST, don't be muddying up the water.

OUDoc
8/24/2011, 02:46 PM
Did you order the Spaghetti-O's?

btk108
8/24/2011, 02:46 PM
I have a cousin who used to work at the Varsity on NW Expressway. Says she cant stand OU because of the The King. He used to come in there and hit on all women, including her.

I keep telling her to let it go, Boomer baby!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/24/2011, 02:48 PM
Did you order the Spaghetti-O's?Cheese and Ravioli.

C&CDean
8/24/2011, 03:23 PM
Cheese and Ravioli.

Well there you have it. I've never eaten ravioli that didn't taste like Chef Boy Ar Dee. Anywhere. That's why I order real Italian food like veal, eggplant, chicken, shrimp, fish, or normal pasta without some fakey cheese crap inside.

Their Italian food is not great. But it's pretty dang good for Norman. Yes, there have been many times I've gone in there and it blew - especially when Patsy's daughter and her n'er do well husband were running the show. Not too long before they closed this last time they became very inconsistent and bland. Hopefully the new owners can create: consistency, good service, good food. I'll give them another shot.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/24/2011, 10:24 PM
Well there you have it. I've never eaten ravioli that didn't taste like Chef Boy Ar Dee. Anywhere. That's why I order real Italian food like veal, eggplant, chicken, shrimp, fish, or normal pasta without some fakey cheese crap inside.

Their Italian food is not great. But it's pretty dang good for Norman. Yes, there have been many times I've gone in there and it blew - especially when Patsy's daughter and her n'er do well husband were running the show. Not too long before they closed this last time they became very inconsistent and bland. Hopefully the new owners can create: consistency, good service, good food. I'll give them another shot.I was kidding. I think I ordered eggplant parmesan. I'll try it again now that Patsy's influence is back.