PDA

View Full Version : OU games on TV this fall

cleller
6/28/2011, 09:47 AM
Currently our only means of TV reception is an antennae. I've been able to see all the games over the last year via a variety of internet-based sites, plus the occasional game on ABC.
My wife now wants to get a Dish Network or maybe Direct TV setup. Also, the FCC has cracked down on some of the sites streaming games via the internet. Being unfamiliar with dish packages, plus the new agreement OU has with ESPN, does anyone know what I should try to insure is in this package?
I know in years past Fox Sports SW had most of the games, then last year Dish dropped them. Now I just found an article saying FX will have 3 OU games in 2011.

I don't care about NFL, NBA, MLB, etc, only college football. Would a basic Dish package. I know people say both companies sometimes stink at customer service, also. I don't know what to do, and don't have a 12 year old around to tell me. It makes my head spin.

1890MilesToNorman
6/28/2011, 09:50 AM
I have Dish and had to buy the Fox Sports channels to get most of the games, think it's about $5 a month or so.

1890MilesToNorman
6/28/2011, 09:51 AM
I know in years past Fox Sports SW had most of the games, then last year Dish dropped them.

I think they worked this out?

madillsoonerfan5353
6/28/2011, 10:01 AM
Currently our only means of TV reception is an antennae. I've been able to see all the games over the last year via a variety of internet-based sites, plus the occasional game on ABC.
My wife now wants to get a Dish Network or maybe Direct TV setup. Also, the FCC has cracked down on some of the sites streaming games via the internet. Being unfamiliar with dish packages, plus the new agreement OU has with ESPN, does anyone know what I should try to insure is in this package?
I know in years past Fox Sports SW had most of the games, then last year Dish dropped them. Now I just found an article saying FX will have 3 OU games in 2011.

I don't care about NFL, NBA, MLB, etc, only college football. Would a basic Dish package. I know people say both companies sometimes stink at customer service, also. I don't know what to do, and don't have a 12 year old around to tell me. It makes my head spin.

I've had Dish Network for years, before I had Direct. They both sometimes stink at customer service, when Dish dropped Fox Sports it was because there contract was up, this will happen with Direct also, everyone wants more money. I have Dish because you can have one receiver service two rooms with DVR and all. I would get basic with locals and this should insure you the OU games this fall.

:gary:

Mississippi Sooner
6/28/2011, 10:08 AM
Because they already announced that the Tulsa, Missouri and Iowa State games will be on FX, I'm hoping that means that most of the games that would have been on FoxSportsNet in past years will be on FX this year. That would make buying the complete Fox Sports package unnecessary. That would be nice.

BTW, even though I had the Fox package on Dish in the past, they would still have some of the games blacked out in my area. Don't know what was up with that. I still managed to find all the games, but had some anxious moments scrolling through the channels until I found them.

MeMyself&Me
6/28/2011, 10:37 AM
If your sole interest is getting OU games and since your local market will be OU, I'd just get the cheapest provider/package that had ABC local, ESPN, FSN, and FX. If your interested in sports in general, I'd give DirecTV a closer look. They do a lot of little things with sports that add up to being pretty cool. I'm primarily a college football guy and was very happy with DishNetwork for years but I do like other sports too. This last Feb. I switched to DirecTV because I wanted their 'Whole Home DVR' service and I'm now getting to see why people say go with DirecTV if you like sports.

Like others have said though, any provider is going to lose a channel from time to time due to contract negotiations. Sucks when it happens to you with a channel that matters but you can't really plan for it.

FSN is back on DishNetwork by the way. That one was resolved in a matter of weeks if I remember correctly. DirecTV had an issue with VS that lasted long enough to miss an entire college football season.

The Maestro
6/28/2011, 10:50 AM
Used to work for Dish. In order to get the channels you will need to get the AT 120-plus package. I think it starts out for 34.99 the first year and 49.99 the second year. You will get Fox Sports, FX and four ESPN's with that one. That will cover two TV's. If you want a DVR, add six bucks a month to that. HD is ten bucks more unless you do autodraft for payment then it is free.

Direct usually has a comparable first year price but their second year price tends to be more. I've had both...I like the Dish equipment better and customer service A LOT better.

olevetonahill
6/28/2011, 10:55 AM
Not sure exactly what package I have, but i spend 70 bucks a month with the locals from Tulsa. aint missed a game

oh i have direct

agoo758
6/28/2011, 11:27 AM
If you live in the midwest or down south, you get just about every OU game except when they play Tennessee Chattanooga or some other crap like that

Mississippi Sooner
6/28/2011, 11:37 AM
If you live in the midwest or down south, you get just about every OU game except when they play Tennessee Chattanooga or some other crap like that

And that will probably be the Ball State game this year. I've shelled out the 30 bucks or so for the pay per view the last few years, but then I always say I won't do it this year. I probably will, though.

olevetonahill
6/28/2011, 12:25 PM
And that will probably be the Ball State game this year. I've shelled out the 30 bucks or so for the pay per view the last few years, but then I always say I won't do it this year. I probably will, though.

I dont like it but I pay it anyway.;)

PrideMom
6/28/2011, 12:33 PM
I would move. I have told my husband that we could not live any where that did not get OU football, nor be too far away to go to the home games.

soonerboomer93
6/28/2011, 12:39 PM
you're a good wife :)

cleller
6/28/2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the ongoing input. It helps to clear the mind. They really sock it to you with little this and that's. I think it was Dish I just looked at that makes you go up for the 120 channel package to the 200 channel package in order to get FX. Clever little parasites.
Then will it always be $10 more for HD? Plus taxes, satellite flyover fee, asteroid insurance?

It is really all the fault of this year's unrelenting wind. It keeps blowing our antenna around. We'll turn the thing on, then I have to run outside and twist on the antenna pole. Pathetic, but inexpensive.

northspeter
6/28/2011, 03:37 PM
i got dishnetwork... best purchase i ever made... best dvr in the business... haven't missed an OU game...

swardboy
6/28/2011, 09:48 PM
i got dishnetwork... best purchase i ever made... best dvr in the business... haven't missed an OU game...

Your sig renders everything you say meaningless :P

I truly have been very satisfied with Dishnetwork. All is peaceful with Dish and Foxsports now.

The Maestro
6/29/2011, 11:19 AM
If you are not willing to spend $80 to $100 a month for T.V. then you have to be willing to miss some good shows, maybe not have the best technology and you might miss some games. $3 a day for at home entertainment is money well spent to me.

ouwasp
6/29/2011, 06:58 PM
I've been really satisfied with Dish (had a few issues with the original installation). Since then we had a tech that knew what he was doing take care of us; no problems.

The one bad thing with the now-resolved FSN crisis: I missed the ISU- tex game... :(