PDA

View Full Version : Two Articles About Sooners In The Secondary

SoonerofAlabama
6/27/2011, 07:20 PM
SAFETY - Aaron Colvin Link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/The-Doc-8217-s-Up-and-Coming-Team-Meet-2011-8?urn=ncaaf-wp3019#remaining-content)

Colvin turned a few heads last year as an unexpected freshman contributor at cornerback, even earning his first (and only) career start against Texas before settling in as a nickel corner for the rest of the season. This spring, though, the glaring need in the secondary was at safety, where Colvin assumed the vacancy left by another converted corner, Jonathan Nelson, to fairly rave reviews.

Colvin may be small for a conventional strong safety at 5-10/175 pounds, but — as with Nelson — Bob Stoops has explicitly emphasized coverage at that spot over Ronnie Lott-style headhunting. If you believe his coach, his latest project has also been pleasantly quick on the uptake.

CORNERBACK - Gabe Lynn Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110627_92_B6_CUTLIN366826)

As Oklahoma gears up for the 2011 season, one Sooner defensive back says he's poised for a breakout season.

Gabe Lynn, a redshirt sophomore and Jenks High School graduate, volunteered at the Felix Jones "Go Hard Football Academy" at Chapman Stadium on Saturday and said he is confident about his role heading into this season at OU.

"I think I've finally got my chance," Lynn said. "I'm ready to step up this year and show what I can do."

In 2010, Lynn had a limited role in the defensive backfield, appearing in seven games. His best performance came against Florida State, when he recorded one pass breakup and recovered a fumble.

But this season he is listed as one of the starting cornerbacks on the Sooners' depth chart. Lynn is part of a young OU secondary that has only one senior, backup safety Sam Proctor. Although most of the national attention might be on OU's offense, Lynn said the Sooner defense will be strong as well.

Lynn said Travis Lewis will continue to be the Sooners' leader on defense. Lewis recorded a team-high 109 tackles last year before deciding to not to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

"We feel really good about the defense," Lynn said. "We made a couple changes, but we had a good spring, so we're ready to go."

Lynn will be joined by as many as three redshirt freshman who will look to get playing time this fall in the Sooner defensive backfield.

"We've got some young guys who will step up, a lot of new names people are going to hear about," Lynn said.

Okie35
6/28/2011, 12:47 AM
I really want Lynn to have a great year.

soonerfan28
6/28/2011, 09:16 AM
I'm really interested to see how the secondary does. It'll be nice to see two Tulsa area guys start back there if thats how it works out

NormanPride
6/28/2011, 09:37 AM
I also want Lynn to have a spectacular year. He's an Oklahoma kid and seems to be a class act. Keep your nose clean and represent the Sooners well!

I am highly optimistic about the D this year. Loads of potential and the coaches have done well in the past bringing out that potential.

madillsoonerfan5353
6/28/2011, 10:03 AM
I also want Lynn to have a spectacular year. He's an Oklahoma kid and seems to be a class act. Keep your nose clean and represent the Sooners well!

I am highly optimistic about the D this year. Loads of potential and the coaches have done well in the past bringing out that potential.

This ^^^^

delhalew
6/28/2011, 10:05 AM
I still get nervous when they covert so many from one position to another. It feels like patchwork, but V and the boys are so good at it. I need to just relax.

The Maestro
6/28/2011, 10:55 AM
I really want Lynn to have a great year.

I really want every player to have a great year.

pweitkem
6/28/2011, 11:05 AM
I still get nervous when they covert so many from one position to another. It feels like patchwork, but V and the boys are so good at it. I need to just relax.

Moving talent from one position to another is what Bob Stoops football teams are built on. Get the best players on the field, teach them how to play.

NormanPride
6/28/2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, and it's more worrying if it's done in the fall. If it's in the spring it's because the coaches have seen something and want to make a chance. If it's the fall, someone isn't performing well and they need to patch a hole.

What worries me the most is our OL. We have some talent there, but our coaching has been abysmal the past couple years. The proof here is that our OL coach got downgraded from the whole OL to just centers and guards. We brought up a GA to handle TEs and OTs. I figure Patton has this year to shape up or he gets the boot.

delhalew
6/28/2011, 12:13 PM
Moving talent from one position to another is what Bob Stoops football teams are built on. Get the best players on the field, teach them how to play.

Kind of my point. I should be used to it by now.