PDA

View Full Version : a/c temp....

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:13 PM
what temp are you keeping your homes in this heat wave?

my house is 11 years old.....polysteel (poured concrete in styrofoam forms) wall construction...
pink insulation with about 6 inches of cellulose blown in on top...
anderson windows....
and my a/c couldn't cool this place to 72 if it ran day and night non-stop....
it's a 3 ton carrier unit and the house is 2400 sq/ft...
it runs nearly non-stop and it's about 79 degrees right now in my house...
it's been a pos unit since the day we moved in....
my hvac contractor was an idiot...

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 07:16 PM
72 when I'm home, 78 when I'm not.

olevetonahill
6/27/2011, 07:16 PM
if thats 2400 living area, a 3 ton aint big enough.

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:21 PM
if thats 2400 living area, a 3 ton aint big enough.

that's what i thought too...
the hvac contractor said due to the type of construction....if the a/c unit were bigger...it wouldn't run long enuf to de-humidify the house on humid days....and water would collect on windows...and possibly cause mold

Breadburner
6/27/2011, 07:23 PM
500 sqf a ton is what I go by.....I keep mine on 80.....Your only going to get about a 25 to 30 degree temprature differential when its this hot out....If its 100 out your SAT will be 70 to 75.....

yermom
http://www.acdirect.com/systemsize.php

this chart says it's too small in Maine or Montana even

of course, they are selling units i'm sure :D

Turd_Ferguson
72 when I'm home, 78 when I'm not.I was told to keep the thermostat at a constant temp...

Partial Qualifier
6/27/2011, 07:24 PM
I keep it at 74.

yermom
6/27/2011, 07:25 PM
I was told to keep the thermostat at a constant temp...

let's not start that again :D

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:28 PM
I keep it at 74.

i'm quite comfortable at 76...
would be happy if my unit could maintain 76 while cycling off occasionally....

does your unit cycle off?

olevetonahill
6/27/2011, 07:28 PM
that's what i thought too...
the hvac contractor said due to the type of construction....if the a/c unit were bigger...it wouldn't run long enuf to de-humidify the house on humid days....and water would collect on windows...and possibly cause mold

Ever feel like you've been lied to?

SpankyNek
6/27/2011, 07:30 PM
what temp are you keeping your homes in this heat wave?

my house is 11 years old.....polysteel (poured concrete in styrofoam forms) wall construction...
pink insulation with about 6 inches of cellulose blown in on top...
anderson windows....
and my a/c couldn't cool this place to 72 if it ran day and night non-stop....
it's a 3 ton carrier unit and the house is 2400 sq/ft...
it runs nearly non-stop and it's about 79 degrees right now in my house...
it's been a pos unit since the day we moved in....
my hvac contractor was an idiot...

First, check the ventilation in your attic...hot attic air is a huge energy sucker. We just bought a house, and they had blown insulation all the way to the end of the eve space, covering the soffitt vents. When you go into your attic, there sould be a noticeable flow from below being sucked up through the attioc, if you have hot air fall down the stair, you have a ventilation problem.

I would have a professional do a load calculation on your current system...this might cost you a bit, but you are throwing money way if your system is running too much (Not to mention, at an uncomfortable temperature)

OUHOMER
6/27/2011, 07:30 PM
77, with ceiling fans moving at all times

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 07:32 PM
I got a 10 ton unit in my studio apt...I got some eyeshickles up in dis mug...

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:42 PM
First, check the ventilation in your attic...hot attic air is a huge energy sucker. We just bought a house, and they had blown insulation all the way to the end of the eve space, covering the soffitt vents. When you go into your attic, there sould be a noticeable flow from below being sucked up through the attioc, if you have hot air fall down the stair, you have a ventilation problem.

I would have a professional do a load calculation on your current system...this might cost you a bit, but you are throwing money way if your system is running too much (Not to mention, at an uncomfortable temperature)

we just put a new roof on the house...
one contractor said we didn't have enuf roof vents and recommended ridge vents...so we went with that...
i wasn't here when they roofed the house but i'm wondering if the decking had a large enuf gap at the peak when they put the ridge venting on for adequate air flow...
the mexican crew was in and out in about a day and i wonder if they just put the ridge vent on and didn't bother to tell me the decking needed to be cut back....

just went up in the attic.....there wasn't much noticeable air flow.....hot but doesn't seem extreme...

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:48 PM
Ever feel like you've been lied to?

i'm almost certain that's what happened....
a few years before i built.....i put a 3.5 ton trane in my old house that we tore down.....anticipating the day we built our new one...
my builder used a carrier guy...and he knew he had to lie to me to sell me a new system....

SpankyNek
6/27/2011, 07:48 PM
we just put a new roof on the house...
one contractor said we didn't have enuf roof vents and recommended ridge vents...so we went with that...
i wasn't here when they roofed the house but i'm wondering if the decking had a large enuf gap at the peak when they put the ridge venting on for adequate air flow...
the mexican crew was in and out in about a day and i wonder if they just put the ridge vent on and didn't bother to tell me the decking needed to be cut back....

just went up in the attic.....there wasn't much noticeable air flow.....hot but doesn't seem extreme...

The key is temperature drop across the coil at the handler. You should be seeing at least a 20 degree drom as it moves from one side to the other (Generally you have to punch a hole or two to test this, but you can get a general idea with thermometers suck in the Air return and the first exit vent after the handler.

If you are getting enough cooling, you may need to be moving more air...it is best to get a professional out there that will guarantee a certain result if you do what they recommend.

You can also experiment with cutting a fresh air return into your system, just really depends on what tweaks are needed.

sooner ngintunr
6/27/2011, 07:51 PM
74. It cycles.

royalfan5
6/27/2011, 07:51 PM
Mine sits at 82.

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:54 PM
Mine sits at 82.

that's pretty warm...
impossible to get the missus in the sack above 77;)

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 07:54 PM

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:56 PM

are you in oklahoma?
your electric bill must be steep...or do you have geothermal...

as i said...my system is 11 years old....i'm seriously thinking about ripping it out and installing geothermal...

sooner_born_1960
6/27/2011, 07:57 PM
let's not start that again :D

It's ok. BSG hasn't been here in like, forever.

87sooner
6/27/2011, 07:58 PM
The key is temperature drop across the coil at the handler. You should be seeing at least a 20 degree drom as it moves from one side to the other (Generally you have to punch a hole or two to test this, but you can get a general idea with thermometers suck in the Air return and the first exit vent after the handler.

If you are getting enough cooling, you may need to be moving more air...it is best to get a professional out there that will guarantee a certain result if you do what they recommend.

You can also experiment with cutting a fresh air return into your system, just really depends on what tweaks are needed.

i've got a guy coming out in a few days to check the refrigerant....i'll ask him to check things out and give me his recommendation...

Serenity Now
6/27/2011, 08:00 PM
My place gets up to 75 during the hot part. It starts the day out at 69ish. Pretty much always on.

Heat pump. Does great except when its above 98 and below 20. Efficient and doesn't cost much more to run it all the time. 270 per month over 11 months for all of the electric.

87sooner
6/27/2011, 08:06 PM
My place gets up to 75 during the hot part. Heat pump. Does great except when its above 98 and below 20. Efficient and doesn't cost much more to run it all the time.

when i built my house....i installed propane furnace/water heater/dryer/stove.....cuz propane was about 50 cents/gallon..
now it's $1.40 and that's if you pre-pay ...
otoh...my neighbor built a year later and he put in a heat pump....
electricity hasn't gone up much at all in the past 11 years...
i think his bill is less than mine....in the summer....and wayyyy less than mine in winter...

SoCaliSooner
6/27/2011, 08:11 PM
We open the windows upstairs at night and it cools to 70 or below and stays cool til maybe 2pm, keep the thermostat at 80 and it maybe kicks on for a few hours and then we open everything up again.

StoopTroup
6/27/2011, 08:11 PM
59 is as low as it will go

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 08:37 PM
are you in oklahoma?
your electric bill must be steep...or do you have geothermal...

as i said...my system is 11 years old....i'm seriously thinking about ripping it out and installing geothermal...

I am in OK. The electric company as well as the gas company let us average our bills. So we pay about the same amount each month.

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 08:53 PM
I was told to keep the thermostat at a constant temp...

I travel. Even though I have bill averaging, I'd prefer not to keep it super cool when I'm not even here. And yes, mine does cycle off. Probably because I keep the curtains and shades closed when it's this hot.

C&CDean
6/27/2011, 08:53 PM
Ours is set at 75 in the daytime, and about 69 at night. I ain't sweating in my sleep for nobody. My biggest electric bill was $211 a couple years ago. This past month was $188. The crib is about 2,600 SF. We run ceiling fans in pretty much every room. Like I said, I ain't sweating for nobody.

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 08:57 PM
Like I said, I ain't sweating for nobody.

Werd.

I refuse to skimp on:

electric bills, coffee and toilet paper.

soonersponge
6/27/2011, 09:35 PM
I have a 21 seer 5 ton, a 19 seer 5 ton, and a 17 seer 4 ton powering my house along with a pool pump going. I keep air at 73. It stays there with ease. My bill was $540 last month. Tons of fun to pay each month.

GrapevineSooner
6/28/2011, 12:07 AM

Werd.

I just replaced a 16 year old air handler and a 12 year old coil on an A Frame that was blocked to holy hell with a new 3 ton handler.

The old handler/coil had no issues cooling, but with so little air being moved across the coil, there was little to no air flow throughout the house.

As a result, my unit ran nonstop from about 10:30 am to 8:30 at night and couldn't cool past 78 during the hottest part of the day.

With the new handler, the highest the temp has hit inside is 75 and it probably runs about 76.2541 % of the time during the same time frame it ran nonstop with the old unit.

Now we just need to get the 20 year old duct work replaced. That'll be a fall/winter job.

SoCaliSooner
6/28/2011, 12:14 AM
I have a 21 seer 5 ton, a 19 seer 5 ton, and a 17 seer 4 ton powering my house along with a pool pump going. I keep air at 73. It stays there with ease. My bill was $540 last month. Tons of fun to pay each month.

Look into the new variable speed pool pumps. They can cut your bill significantly...at least the pool part. Most energy companies offer a $200 rebate. I have an indoor aqua switch that's not compatible with the new pumps so I have to swap out my control boards and Jandy valves.

hawaii 5-0
6/28/2011, 12:19 AM
I don't have air conditioning. Or heating. Or insulation.

It's 76 degrees right now but with the Trade Winds it feels like 70.

5-0

Trump/ Gusty 2012

Boomer.....
6/28/2011, 07:18 AM
74 during the day and 69 at night

WichitaSooner
6/28/2011, 08:42 AM
7 year old house.... 1600 square feet... 73 degrees 24/7. OGE average billing - $90 a month.

Mississippi Sooner
6/28/2011, 08:47 AM
I turn my a/c up to eleven.

tator
6/28/2011, 09:01 AM
70/night - 75/day

I am not ok with being hot

OUMallen
6/28/2011, 09:03 AM
My readout says 71 or so, but the thermostat is old and not trustworthy. If we set it much higher, it gets pretty warm in the house. We seem to have found the middle ground b/n running enough and running too much.

87sooner
6/28/2011, 09:08 AM
74 during the day and 69 at night

69 is way too cool at night...
at 76 with a ceiling fan....i have to use a light blanket...
at 69....i would need a feather bed...and would be a huge waste of money/energy...

87sooner
6/28/2011, 09:12 AM
a guy is coming out to do a complete analysis of my house...
he mentioned the powered attic fans can cut the load by 1/2 ton...
he will also advise on geothermal retrofit...

olevetonahill
6/28/2011, 09:16 AM
Good luck, Ima bet ya need at least a 4 ton.;)

olevetonahill
6/28/2011, 09:16 AM
Oh and dont take the 1st ones word for everything
get ya at least 3 estimates of need and cost.

Boomer.....
6/28/2011, 09:19 AM
69 is way too cool at night...
at 76 with a ceiling fan....i have to use a light blanket...
at 69....i would need a feather bed...and would be a huge waste of money/energy...

Our bedroom is a little warmer than the rest of the house. We also use a ceiling fan on medium.

JLEW1818
6/28/2011, 10:03 AM

NormanPride
6/28/2011, 10:03 AM
We run at about 72 while we're in and around the house, and 78 when we're not. Except on triple digit days it never really needs to run that much while we're not there.

JLEW1818
6/28/2011, 10:04 AM
We run at about 72 while we're in and around the house, and 78 when we're not. Except on triple digit days it never really needs to run that much while we're not there.

Badger told me she cranks it down to 55 when u are gone !!!:eek: :eek: :pop:

achiro
6/28/2011, 10:04 AM
I can't believe some of you are able to keep it so warm in your houses and not be miserable.

Last summer we couldn't get the unit to shut off and it was still pretty borderline as far as being tolerable temperature wise. We had 3 bills in a row over $500. We did have a couple of h&a guys come check it and both said it was pretty much on it's last leg. We bought a new unit last month and have run it at 69 and 72. We went with a 14.5 seer 4 ton York. The electric bill we got last week(the first full month of using the new unit) was only $148.

crawfish
6/28/2011, 10:06 AM
72 when my wife sets it.
76 when I set it.

We play A/C ping-pong in my house.

texaspokieokie
6/28/2011, 10:06 AM
73 all the time.

NormanPride
6/28/2011, 11:17 AM
Badger told me she cranks it down to 55 when u are gone !!!:eek: :eek: :pop:
You would be shocked at how much of a cold wuss she is.

JDMT
6/28/2011, 11:40 AM
I keep my home at 75 constantly. My 11 yr old unit cycles off and on all day. Bill runs on average 90 bucks. Gottla love the scroll compressors.

87sooner
6/28/2011, 11:48 AM
I can't believe some of you are able to keep it so warm in your houses and not be miserable.

Last summer we couldn't get the unit to shut off and it was still pretty borderline as far as being tolerable temperature wise. We had 3 bills in a row over $500. We did have a couple of h&a guys come check it and both said it was pretty much on it's last leg. We bought a new unit last month and have run it at 69 and 72. We went with a 14.5 seer 4 ton York. The electric bill we got last week(the first full month of using the new unit) was only $148.

in 11 years....our highest electric bill was about $140 and that was last summer...

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/28/2011, 12:44 PM
67 at night and 74 during the day but it never comes on.

1500 sq ft apt. That faces north thank god...

87sooner
6/28/2011, 12:55 PM
67 at night and 74 during the day but it never comes on.

1500 sq ft apt. That faces north thank god...

67 at night but it never comes on?
you must live above 8k feet...

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/28/2011, 01:13 PM
It never comes on during the day. It probably runs for 3 hours or so at night

87sooner
6/29/2011, 12:36 PM
ok....the results are in..
had the analysis done this morning...
the system was low on "freon"...working much better now...
the hvac guy recommended 2 powered vents in the attic...
also seems the original installation of the ductwork was shoddy...a couple of major leaks...
he said 3 ton should be plenty if system running at top efficiency...
this guy loves cellulose insulation....said i should add more....especially on top of the duct work

87sooner
6/29/2011, 12:37 PM

did you build your house or did you buy existing?
you should have geothermal...
the hvac guy that did my analysis said he installed geo in a 6600 sq/ft house and the electric bills are $150/month

87sooner
7/2/2011, 11:22 AM
a/c still struggling...
another service call and it looks like it needs a new expansion valve...

Mjcpr
7/2/2011, 11:23 AM
Well, at least you get to wait until at least Tuesday.

pphilfran
7/2/2011, 11:25 AM
a guy is coming out to do a complete analysis of my house...
he mentioned the powered attic fans can cut the load by 1/2 ton...
he will also advise on geothermal retrofit...

I think OU48A put in a geothermal system...

Mongo
7/2/2011, 11:27 AM
Well, at least you get to wait until at least Tuesday.

you should let him stay at your place while you are at the lake

Mjcpr
7/2/2011, 11:28 AM
That's fine, but don't run the a/c.

87sooner
7/2/2011, 11:32 AM
it's cooling...but it runs non-stop to maintain 77 degrees...

Mongo
7/2/2011, 11:33 AM
it's cooling...but it runs non-stop to maintain 77 degrees...

you should go to his house. he has TWO fireplaces.

87sooner
7/2/2011, 11:34 AM
I think OU48A put in a geothermal system...

i'm sold on geo....
still waiting on a good quote..
these geo guys seem to be a bit weasely....can't seem to get a quote out of them...
one told me that with the tax credit....it's about the same as a conventional system.....kinda hard to believe...
maybe he means a top of the line conventional...

pphilfran
7/2/2011, 11:43 AM
i'm sold on geo....
still waiting on a good quote..
these geo guys seem to be a bit weasely....can't seem to get a quote out of them...
one told me that with the tax credit....it's about the same as a conventional system.....kinda hard to believe...
maybe he means a top of the line conventional...

He must be talking about the super high SEER systems...and even at that I would think geo would be another 25% or so higher..what do I know, I have never priced a system...

Aren't they basically a heat pump with the heat exchanger coils buried deep below ground? You have multiple acres so I would image you would get a horizontal field...my small lot would require a drilling rig to go vertical...

Send 48A a pm...I am almost positive he just put in a system within the last year..

87sooner
7/2/2011, 11:48 AM
that's correct.....with the geo having a pump to circulate the water thru the loop...
everyone i've talked to said the vertical wells are the way to go...even if you have the land space for horizontal...

with the geo you also get 100 degree water that circulates to your water heater....supposedly saving another 40-50 bucks/month....

picasso
7/2/2011, 11:52 AM
We got a new dual unit back in January and that mother keeps the house cool on 74.

Amazing Jerry.

Mjcpr
We got a new dual unit back in January and that mother keeps the house cool on 74.

Amazing Jerry.

I bet your wife is ecstatic!

pphilfran
that's correct.....with the geo having a pump to circulate the water thru the loop...
everyone i've talked to said the vertical wells are the way to go...even if you have the land space for horizontal...

with the geo you also get 100 degree water that circulates to your water heater....supposedly saving another 40-50 bucks/month....

There are a lot of benefits to them...my system is as old as the hills but I have R 60 or better in most of the house so it doesn't kill me...

When it finally kicks the bucket I will look closely at a geo system...

picasso
7/2/2011, 11:54 AM
I bet your wife is ecstatic!

You know it kid!

pphilfran
7/2/2011, 11:56 AM

With a standard heat pump when it gets down to freezing the heat pump loses most of its efficiency and you have to have the heat back up turn on...

With constant soil temps you don't need the backup, do you?

sooner59
7/2/2011, 11:57 AM
75 in the day. 71 at night. Approved by the lady. We see eye to eye on that.

pphilfran
7/2/2011, 11:59 AM
75 in the day. 71 at night. Approved by the lady. We see eye to eye on that.

You should build an igloo...

BudSooner
7/2/2011, 12:07 PM
Mine sits at 82.Same here, and only using 1 ceiling fan. This place is well insulated.

That and when it's just me and the wife here, i'm butt nekkid.:D

Mjcpr
7/2/2011, 12:10 PM
I can hardly wait to sit on your couch.

BudSooner
7/2/2011, 12:16 PM
I can hardly wait to sit on your couch.Heh.

87sooner
7/2/2011, 12:28 PM

With a standard heat pump when it gets down to freezing the heat pump loses most of its efficiency and you have to have the heat back up turn on...

With constant soil temps you don't need the backup, do you?

that is correct...
with constant ground temp....it works great in all weather..

i believe the heat pump struggles below freezing and also above 95 or 100

87sooner
7/2/2011, 12:30 PM
Same here, and only using 1 ceiling fan. This place is well insulated.

well insulated or not...82 is pretty warm....
not what i consider comfortable...

pphilfran
7/2/2011, 12:34 PM
that is correct...
with constant ground temp....it works great in all weather..

i believe the heat pump struggles below freezing and also above 95 or 100

Not needing back up will help with the cost...

BudSooner
7/2/2011, 12:38 PM
well insulated or not...82 is pretty warm....
not what i consider comfortable...When you consider I work outside all day, 82 feels like 52 after work.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2011, 12:40 PM
73 in the daytime, 69 at night.

I'd prefer to see my breath when it is time to sleep.

My car is paid for, so the bills are something I accept.

Sooner_Tuf
7/2/2011, 01:06 PM
68˚ day/night year round. I like it to be cool when I am home and I have a couple of big ol' wooly dogs that don't like the heat either.

My house is not very efficient but the bills are pretty reasonable, at least compared to what other people tell me they pay each month.

87sooner
7/2/2011, 01:09 PM
68˚ day/night year round. I like it to be cool when I am home and I have a couple of big ol' wooly dogs that don't like the heat either.

My house is not very efficient but the bills are pretty reasonable, at least compared to what other people tell me they pay each month.

what are your bills and where do you live?
how many sq/ft?
68 is ridiculous unless you're at high altitude....