PDA

View Full Version : 95 yr old cancer striken, wheelchair bound woman forced to remove adult diaper by TSA

JohnnyMack
6/26/2011, 09:18 PM
America. **** yeah!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/26/florida.tsa.incident/index.html?iref=NS1

Dear Osama,

You win.

Sincerely,

Common sense

87sooner
6/26/2011, 09:20 PM
yup...
we're all criminals in our own country..

SoonerofAlabama
6/26/2011, 09:30 PM
Another TSA-related occurence that brought on antional spotlight.

-3sH1GaO_nw

DIB
6/26/2011, 09:44 PM
The Federal government is stealing our fundamental privacy rights through the TSA and The Patriot Act, and yet we worry more about whether a state should issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. Our elected officials distract us with wedge issues and party politics, so that we don't see that they are robbing us of our hard earned income and stealing our hard fought liberty. And we have become unwitting accomplices.

Blue
6/26/2011, 09:51 PM
The Federal government is stealing our fundamental privacy rights through the TSA and The Patriot Act, and yet we worry more about whether a state should issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. Our elected officials distract us with wedge issues and party politics, so that we don't see that they are robbing us of our hard earned income and stealing our hard fought liberty. And we have become unwitting accomplices.

Boom! 100% akkurite.

Peach Fuzz
6/26/2011, 10:04 PM
**** it, they can feel me up and down all day

mgsooner
6/26/2011, 10:43 PM
Hopefully that diaper had a nice surprise waiting for them...

SoonerBread
6/26/2011, 10:48 PM
Another TSA-related occurence that brought on antional spotlight.

-3sH1GaO_nw

It's a little disconcerting seeing a young child being frisked. And I don't think it was necessary at all. I don't like it one bit.

But the TSA agent was professional and handled an obviously uncomfortable situation with class, dignity, and decorum. She was just doing her job. I don't fault her. I fault the policy makers.

47straight
6/27/2011, 12:43 AM
If we stop searching kids or grandparents, the terrorists will just plant stuff on their kids or grandparents.

We either randomly search everyone, and I do mean everyone - or we profile like the Israelis do. For a host of reasons we don't have the stomach to profile like the Israelis do, so this is what we get.

Memtig14
6/27/2011, 01:04 AM
If we stop searching kids or grandparents, the terrorists will just plant stuff on their kids or grandparents.

We either randomly search everyone, and I do mean everyone - or we profile like the Israelis do. For a host of reasons we don't have the stomach to profile like the Israelis do, so this is what we get.

Thank you for saying that, it needed to be said.

Chuck Bao
6/27/2011, 01:33 AM

I agree. That's what they are paid to do. Every single time I have been physically searched, they have stated very clearly and in a loud voice for everyone to hear about what they are going to do next. There was no groping or surprise feel up.

The little girl in that vid seemed to be stressed at first, but support from the mother and the TSA agent explaining what she is doing seemed to calm her down.

It just seems that some people like to bitch about stuff like this.

Alright, I am going to bitch too! My problem is not at all about the security checks. It is that plane departures are pretty much scheduled events. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to get enough security screening people in place a few hours before departure? I just don't understand having to wait in a queue for more than an hour waiting on a security check.

47straight
6/27/2011, 01:39 AM
Alright, I am going to bitch too! My problem is not at all about the security checks. It is that plane departures are pretty much scheduled events. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to get enough security screening people in place a few hours before departure? I just don't understand having to wait in a queue for more than an hour waiting on a security check.

You're talking about the gub'mint here.

Once I flew back into the US, and there were literally (not figuratively) about 500 people waiting in the US citizen passport control line. Someone was complaining, and I said - "Hey, it's not like they know when all these planes are going to show up. Oh wait, they do."

ouflak
6/27/2011, 03:36 AM

This is a big assumption of something that is yet to ever happen. I believe the phrase is 'scaremongering'. Well, *shrug*, if you really think the terrorists are under your bed, then RUN! Jump out your window and run and don't look back!

Have these terrorists ever done this? Do they get to go to heaven with 40 virgins awaiting if they do this? If we have the 'stomach' to have adults frisking children (behavior that would normally get that adult thrown in jail and permanently listed as a sex offender), then we have the stomach to profile.

If the TSA concentrated on the likely suspects it would be much more effective, it would be seen as lot more of a professional organization, and it would garner a LOT more respect. If there is ever even one incident where a bomb is planted on a six-year old or in a 95 year old's adult diaper then fine, scaremonger away and scrap the constitution. Until such time, lets be reasonable and get the job of appropriate security done right.

texaspokieokie
6/27/2011, 09:17 AM
we should profile, like the Israelis do. they seem to be very effective. They know their lives depend on it.

if you see a 6 yr old with a heavy black beard & a turban, he should be closely scrutinized !!!

XingTheRubicon
6/27/2011, 09:32 AM
How many of you would have bet your Dodge Dart back on Sept 12, 2001, the US would have zero major terrorist attacks for the next 10 years.

Whatever they're doing, for whatever reason, it's working. My old man didn't care for them grabbing his balls before a flight out of Miami, but it sure beat driving 2000 miles...or careening into a Pennsylvania field.

yermom
6/27/2011, 10:40 AM
A 95 year old cancer patient probably doesn't have much to live for and children are easily coerced. Making them exceptions would make them possible strategies, right?

OUDoc
6/27/2011, 10:48 AM
If my *** is getting searched, they had better damn well search the 95 yo.

saucysoonergal
6/27/2011, 10:50 AM
If my *** is getting searched, they had better damn well search the 95 yo.

I hope she had a present for them in her depends

OutlandTrophy
6/27/2011, 10:50 AM
has the TSA arrested anyone carrying a bomb? They didn't stop the shoe bomber nor the underwear bomber nor did they prevent bombs being air freighted as printer cartridges.

StoopTroup
6/27/2011, 10:52 AM
I bet some of you buy tickets just so you can go down and get felt up then refund your tickets.

87sooner
6/27/2011, 11:14 AM
A 95 year old cancer patient probably doesn't have much to live for and children are easily coerced. Making them exceptions would make them possible strategies, right?

you believe that don't you?

StoopTroup
6/27/2011, 11:17 AM
Remember Cocoon? Those Dudes got out of control quick once they were recruited by the Aliens.

NormanPride
6/27/2011, 11:22 AM
How are the terrorists going to have access to the children? I can MAYBE see the elderly and senile, but kids? When will they have access to a child that doesn't have a parent around where they can plant something right before a trip?

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 11:23 AM
How are the terrorists going to have access to the children? I can MAYBE see the elderly and senile, but kids? When will they have access to a child that doesn't have a parent around where they can plant something right before a trip?

You just keep on hating America brother. Keep it up.

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 11:26 AM

They're like Gypsies, they still white babies and turn them to evil.

saucysoonergal
6/27/2011, 11:28 AM
Best Cher song, Gypsies, Tramps and Theives or Half-Breed?

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 11:31 AM

no such thing as a good Cher song.

TheLadiesMike
6/27/2011, 11:34 AM
How many of you would have bet your Dodge Dart back on Sept 12, 2001, the US would have zero major terrorist attacks for the next 10 years.

Whatever they're doing, for whatever reason, it's working. My old man didn't care for them grabbing his balls before a flight out of Miami, but it sure beat driving 2000 miles...or careening into a Pennsylvania field.

Correlation does not equal causation. They have dropped the ball and gotten lucky the bombs did not work. So it's not working. And for all of the resources wasted on this, violations of personal space, etc there are still terrorists and they can still easily enter this country through our borders and smuggle things in through our ports. But good thing we're focusing our time on touching up kids and grandparents.

Something tells me if there was an attack you would say it's proof we need even more searches.

NormanPride
6/27/2011, 11:34 AM
You just keep on hating America brother. Keep it up.
Gets easier every day. :(

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 11:40 AM
Correlation does not equal causation. They have dropped the ball and gotten lucky the bombs did not work. So it's not working. And for all of the resources wasted on this, violations of personal space, etc there are still terrorists and they can still easily enter this country through our borders and smuggle things in through our ports. But good thing we're focusing our time on touching up kids and grandparents.

Something tells me if there was an attack you would say it's proof we need even more searches.

If a guy on the FBI's most wanted list can come back and forth from Mexico without even being questioned, then the terrorists have already won.

Well, except for their leaders being dead and stuff.

Viking Kitten
6/27/2011, 11:43 AM

No love for "Just Like Jesse James"?

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 11:46 AM
Okay, can we at least agree that Believe is the worst Cher song?

stevo
6/27/2011, 11:48 AM

they're taking away my mojito wine coolers - and I DON'T LIKE IT!

Curly Bill
6/27/2011, 11:51 AM
Bread and circuses pretty much sums up the US.

I've said many a time that this is what we're becoming.

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 11:53 AM
I've said many a time that this is what we're becoming.

You're shaped kind of like a circus peanut.

Curly Bill
6/27/2011, 11:55 AM
You're shaped kind of like a circus peanut.

That would be pretty far from the truth.

saucysoonergal
6/27/2011, 12:07 PM
siJmE75-xA0
uxoWto09Oyg
n1tghvb6WqA

You decide

DIB
6/27/2011, 12:10 PM
http://disinfo.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Brewster.jpg

soonerscuba
6/27/2011, 12:17 PM
Uh, Israel has one commercial airport. Essentially, you are asking to grant profiling abilities to a group of people (the TSA) with existing issues in regards to being able to make reasonable decisions. Replicating Israel's airport security in this country would cost billions of dollars to address what is at this point a non-problem.

SoCaliSooner
6/27/2011, 12:21 PM
95 yr old cancer striken, wheelchair bound woman forced to remove adult diaper by TSA

This got me hard.

ouflak
6/27/2011, 12:39 PM

You might be on to something here... in fact... I thnk there is a terrorist outside your window right now!

BOO! GOTCHA!

I just don't think that scaremongering has any use in catching and stopping these people. We know what kind of people they employ, we know their tactics, and we know why. It's not a secret and they aren't keeping it such.

If/when they decide to forsake their 40 virgins in heaven and start strapping bombs onto children and old women, even once, then we should respond accordingly. Searching everyone diffuses the efforts and results of the TSA immensely and wastefully, even, at times, embarrasingly.

And any parent that lets some stranger under any guise feel up their young daughter is either 1) Crazy - "You think my small daughter may have a bomb? *shrug* Maybe you're right. Go for it." or 2) A failure as a parent - "You want to feel up my young daughter for insert reason. *shrug* "Sure, go ahead."
Or both.

Chuck Bao
6/27/2011, 01:35 PM
You might be on to something here... in fact... I thnk there is a terrorist outside your window right now!

BOO! GOTCHA!

I just don't think that scaremongering has any use in catching and stopping these people. We know what kind of people they employ, we know their tactics, and we know why. It's not a secret and they aren't keeping it such.

If/when they decide to forsake their 40 virgins in heaven and start strapping bombs onto children and old women, even once, then we should respond accordingly. Searching everyone diffuses the efforts and results of the TSA immensely and wastefully, even, at times, embarrasingly.

And any parent that lets some stranger under any guise feel up their young daughter is either 1) Crazy - "You think my small daughter may have a bomb? *shrug* Maybe you're right. Go for it." or 2) A failure as a parent - "You want to feel up my young daughter for insert reason. *shrug* "Sure, go ahead."
Or both.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. Calling parents either crazy or failures by allowing their young daughter to submit to a standard security search is probably not going to help, at all, in my expediting my trip through security.

I don't know if you travel much, ouflak, but this type of security check is pretty standard around the world, especially on international flights of US carriers. US carriers will have their own security check before boarding if they think that the screenings were insufficient at overseas airports.

I suppose that they just had to do it to at least give a peace of mind to travelers who were probably already paying a premium on the air fare. I honestly don't trust discount airlines and that is for mechanical reasons and not terrorism reasons.

Honestly, I was a little critical of the mass hysteria after 9/11. To some degree, it was quite understandable. I just thought that almost every country in the world has to face some form of terrorism and Americans will have to deal with it in the future too. I also thought that the future terrorism attacks were more likely to be home-grown than imported. Or, maybe we have all watched too many Hollywood spy movies with sleeper cells in the US.

I think that the big issue here is more about the insurance companies and the very powerful army of US lawyers. The US federal, state and municipal governments and the corporate sector have to go to extra-ordinary lengths to say that they did their best in case something ever does happen.

Yeah, I agree. The politicians are largely lawyers. And, some of the lawyers are, in effect, and in a very broad use of the term - terrorists.

Chuck Bao
6/27/2011, 01:50 PM
Oh, I forgot to say that if anyone ever bad mouths Cher, they will feel my wrath. She is a Goddess and will live among the stars forever. Does anyone sing like that anymore?

Olevet posted music vids of the Mamas and Papas. Does anyone even bother to harmonize like that anymore?

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 01:52 PM
Oh, I forgot to say that if anyone ever bad mouths Cher, they will feel my wrath. She is a Goddess and will live among the stars forever. Does anyone sing like that anymore?

Olevet posted music vids of the Mamas and Papas. Does anyone even bother to harmonize like that anymore?

I'm not skeered.

At least not very skeered.:cool:

Viking Kitten
6/27/2011, 01:59 PM

Buy me a couple of shots at karaoke night and the answer is "absolutely."

pphilfran
6/27/2011, 02:00 PM
TSA agent Bundy "Hey, Theodore, did you see how Patriot , the bomb sniffing dog, acted strangely when that lady in the wheelchair rolled past him?"

TSA agent Theodore "Hell yes, look at him now. His eyes are watering and he rolled over on his side! Something over there must stink."

In unison "Mam, put down the cane and place both hands on the side of the wheelchair!"

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 02:07 PM

I'm pretty sure she's been dead since 1985 and that's a wax double.

Sorry, but you know you wonder, too.

Mjcpr
6/27/2011, 02:09 PM
On the bright side, she has spawned quite a handsome son.

XingTheRubicon
6/27/2011, 02:11 PM

Some people look at results and some people just like to bitch and moan. We've had zero successful attacks in three thousand six hundred days. Zero. I'm not a huge fan of 60 billion dollars for Homeland Security but it's hard to complain with the aforementioned results. I know it's more fun to whine and cry about things that you have absolutely no idea how they function behind the scenes, but it is what it is.

DIB
6/27/2011, 02:15 PM
Some people look at results and some people just like to bitch and moan. We've had zero successful attacks in three thousand six hundred days. Zero. I'm not a huge fan of 60 billion dollars for Homeland Security but it's hard to complain with the aforementioned results. I know it's more fun to whine and cry about things that you have absolutely no idea how they function behind the scenes, but it is what it is.

It is our patriotic duty to complain, when the government is taking away our rights.

The whole point of terrorism is to cause fundamental change through fear. Let our government take away our liberty for hypothetical security is, certainly, a fundamental departure from our core beliefs as a country.

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 02:16 PM

Dude I fly all over this country and can tell you that TSA agents are a collective waste of space. Most of those people should be flipping burgers at Whataburger or serving as lot porters at used car lots. Trusting them with our security is the most laughable thing I've ever heard.

pphilfran
6/27/2011, 02:19 PM

I am really surprised that there has not been a follow up attack...

They must not have much of a following...possibly blown out of proportion...

It would be beyond simple to put together an OKC type bombing....and let er rip during NYC rush hour or the center of the Golden Gate Bridge...

XingTheRubicon
6/27/2011, 02:20 PM
Dude I fly all over this country and can tell you that TSA agents are a collective waste of space. Most of those people should be flipping burgers at Whataburger or serving as lot porters at used car lots. Trusting them with our security is the most laughable thing I've ever heard.

I don't fly as much as you, 3 or 4 times a year, but I didn't get the same impression. I guess I wasn't looking for it.

Maybe we've been lucky for 10 years.

NormanPride
6/27/2011, 02:22 PM
What if the budget was tripled? Would we be more safe? Because I want that. I want more safe. I don't care if it's wasteful and stupid.

soonerchk
6/27/2011, 02:24 PM
I don't fly as much as you, 3 or 4 times a year, but I didn't get the same impression. I guess I wasn't looking for it.

Maybe we've been lucky for 10 years.

Considering my POI gets stopped by security every friggin time we go anywhere and I'm the Arab, I think they're idiots.

Part luck, part good intelligence. I really don't think TSA has done a whole lot to scare the terrorists.

XingTheRubicon
6/27/2011, 02:29 PM
Oh, and I guess the question I would have is:

Why?

Why would TSA agents be instructed to inspect a 90 year old lady? If it was for no actual reason, no purpose, why would TSA agents be ordered to do what they are doing? Do you think Ridge or Nappy thought it would be funny? I mean seriously, if it served no purpose, why would anyone want this to be done? Maybe they want CNN to cover it, and cover the outrage that comes with it. Maybe, just maybe it's about perception...not necessarily catching terrorists but demotivating them from ever trying.

I don't know, but I do know that they know more about what's out there as far as potential threats than anyone in this thread. It's still zero, btw.

Chuck Bao
6/27/2011, 02:53 PM
Buy me a couple of shots at karaoke night and the answer is "absolutely."

You got a deal there, Babes.

Danggit, did anyone else notice that I scored a date with the uber-vixen Viking Kitten?

Yeah, I know she's preggars and ain't gonna be doing any shots anytime soon.

I don't care. I am in love with you, VK. Marry me. We can live a life somewhere between our worlds. Maybe in Iceland. It's really cheap now and you'd feel right at home there.

Oh, I just love this Viking opera singer's rendition of Gingle Bells at a South Tulsa church.

Heh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1aykbbszU

ouflak
6/27/2011, 03:10 PM
Respectfully, I have to disagree. Calling parents either crazy or failures by allowing their young daughter to submit to a standard security search is probably not going to help, at all, in my expediting my trip through security.

It is a complete and utter waste of your time that they are *even checking* young children and incontenent old women. It waste's the TSA's time, it lowers, if not completely removes, any respect they might deserve. It makes our 'security' look like a joke, a joke that has some serious moral, legal and perhaps constitutional issues.

I don't know if you travel much, ouflak, but this type of security check is pretty standard around the world, especially on international flights of US carriers. US carriers will have their own security check before boarding if they think that the screenings were insufficient at overseas airports.

Since 9-11 I have traveled to over a dozen countries, 3 that had terrorist attacks before I traveled to them (Spain after train bombings, India after the Hotel attack, and I was living in the UK when they bombed the buses/underground. Still am). I have done atleast 3 dozen business and pleasure trips since 9-11. I've only ever been frisked when traveling in the U.S.. This is only my own personal experience. There are perhaps others who have had different experiences in their international travels. Maybe I've gotten lucky somehow.

If I was instead a muslim, of the same age, sex, and my particular skin tone, I'm rather certain I would have had the appropriate scrutiny I deserved traveling to most if not all of these countries. I might just have been let through an American security checkpoint since they were all busy frisking christians, invalids, children and the like.

Viking Kitten
6/27/2011, 06:58 PM
You got a deal there, Babes.

Danggit, did anyone else notice that I scored a date with the uber-vixen Viking Kitten?

Yeah, I know she's preggars and ain't gonna be doing any shots anytime soon.

I don't care. I am in love with you, VK. Marry me. We can live a life somewhere between our worlds. Maybe in Iceland. It's really cheap now and you'd feel right at home there.

Oh, I just love this Viking opera singer's rendition of Gingle Bells at a South Tulsa church.

Heh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1aykbbszU

I have horn envy after watching that.

C&CDean
6/27/2011, 07:38 PM
This thread has gotten :hot:

soonerchk
6/28/2011, 12:10 PM
TSA says the 95 year old cancer victim is a lying whore.

The Transportation Security Administration is now denying a Florida woman's claim that agents forced her 95-year-old mother to remove her adult diaper in an airport screening.

Jean Weber filed a complaint with the TSA over the weekend regarding the incident.

She insists her mother, who suffers from leukemia, underwent an invasive pat-down at the Northwest Florida Regional Airport more than a week ago.

During the search, an officer told her that her mother's adult diaper - which was soiled - needed to be removed and inspected, Weber contends.

The older woman, whose name has not been released, was in a wheelchair at the time.

A TSA spokesperson told CNN on Sunday that officers at the airport "acted professionally, according to proper procedure."

On Monday, the TSA added that security personnel "did not require this passenger to remove an adult diaper." According to the Boston Globe, the TSA said this was something not made clear in the initial statement given to CNN.

The TSA would not discuss specifics about the incident, citing privacy concerns. In a statement on Sunday, the agency indicated wheelchairs often spark pat-downs.

The agency has repeatedly come under fire for its screening procedures at airports. Many argue the searches, which include revealing full-body scanners and hands-on body searches, are an invasion of privacy.

TSA Administrator John Pistole recently announced that security officers must try to avoid patting down children.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/06/28/2011-06-28_tsa_officers_did_not_make_95yearold_woman_with_ leukemia_remove_adult_diaper.html#ixzz1QajznRlH

soonercruiser
6/29/2011, 09:54 AM
The TSA would not discuss specifics about the incident, citing incompetency concerns. In a statement on Sunday, the agency indicated wheelchairs often spark pat-downs.

I fixed it!

Too bad Eric-hold-her wasn't around.

TheLadiesMike
6/30/2011, 12:25 PM

Looks like a guy flew out of JFK without a ticket or ID. Heckuva job, Brownie!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/30/authorities-investigate-security-breach-at-jfk-airport-after-man-flies-to-los-angeles-without-ticket/

XingTheRubicon
6/30/2011, 12:31 PM
Looks like a guy flew out of JFK without a ticket or ID. Heckuva job, Brownie!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/30/authorities-investigate-security-breach-at-jfk-airport-after-man-flies-to-los-angeles-without-ticket/

and still zero attacks...

hold on, let me check...brb

yeah,

zero and holding

Dio
6/30/2011, 12:32 PM
they're taking away my mojito wine coolers - and I DON'T LIKE IT!

Just make sure you buy more by 9 PM Saturday, or you're SOL for the 4th.

TheLadiesMike
6/30/2011, 12:39 PM
and still zero attacks...

hold on, let me check...brb

yeah,

zero and holding

A Nigerian man got on a cross country flight out of JFK without a ticket and using a student ID and you think it's a sign of success. I'm glad I'm not arguing such an asinine position.

Let's not forget, the Christmas bomber 18 months ago was a Nigerian man. The only reason that attack did not succeed was that the bomb did not go off. But to you that's proof TSA did a good job!

jk the sooner fan
6/30/2011, 12:41 PM
Considering my POI gets stopped by security every friggin time we go anywhere and I'm the Arab, I think they're idiots.

Part luck, part good intelligence. I really don't think TSA has done a whole lot to scare the terrorists.

wait, you're an arab?

87sooner
6/30/2011, 12:58 PM
A Nigerian man got on a cross country flight out of JFK without a ticket and using a student ID and you think it's a sign of success. I'm glad I'm not arguing such an asinine position.

Let's not forget, the Christmas bomber 18 months ago was a Nigerian man. The only reason that attack did not succeed was that the bomb did not go off. But to you that's proof TSA did a good job!

well....zero planes blown out of the sky...someone has to take credit....;)