PDA

View Full Version : Official I think OU wins them all..

Soonerus
6/25/2011, 01:53 AM
...next year thread...I really believe they will...

Flagstaffsooner
6/25/2011, 03:06 AM
That's the spirit, Rus!

oumartin
6/25/2011, 05:27 AM
he said this last year too

biscuitralph
6/25/2011, 06:23 AM
does that include the big 12 title also? haha. i agree to win all they do have a few challenges to overcome tho.

olevetonahill
6/25/2011, 06:45 AM
Hell I believe him, I also expect us to win em all EVERY year.

Flagstaffsooner
6/25/2011, 07:22 AM
he said this last year too
We all say it every year,:P

olevetonahill
6/25/2011, 07:28 AM
We all say it every year,:P

And I believe it every year.:cool:

Flagstaffsooner
6/25/2011, 07:41 AM
It happens when you least expect it.

olevetonahill
6/25/2011, 07:45 AM
It happens when you least expect it.

So yer sayin I should start spectin us to lose every game then Ill be surprised an happy when we win em all? I get so confused:confused: :O

Ruf/Nek7
6/25/2011, 12:00 PM
I said it in 98 about the upcoming 99 season....true story

Flagstaffsooner
6/25/2011, 12:23 PM
So yer sayin I should start spectin us to lose every game then Ill be surprised an happy when we win em all? I get so confused:confused: :OJust saying 1985 2000:pop:

kelloggOUballa
6/25/2011, 01:06 PM
Some years, the champion is not who most would have predicted at the start of the season (such as us in 2000, Auburn last year). But most years, the champion begins the season in at least the top 10. So it's gotta happen for us one of these years!

XingTheRubicon
6/25/2011, 07:12 PM
and the 10 year jinx continues

pphilfran
6/25/2011, 07:37 PM
A great program should pop an undefeated season about every ten years, so we are due...you need everything to fall into place...including injuries and luck...

We are likely to lose one...FSU and the Pokes will both be tough..we should handle tech and the Aggies but any team can get on a roll and stay far more competitive than expected...

SoonerofAlabama
6/26/2011, 12:51 PM
Be confident, not cocky.

LostCreekSooner
6/26/2011, 01:29 PM
I think we will be better on offense this year... Not so much due to personnel, but due to better play-calling. I.e. We lose the stubbornness factor of Wilson.

Still not convinced the defense will be dominant... Seem kind of thin on the line with no mega-beast.

Agree we have a chance to win it all...

MyT Oklahoma
6/26/2011, 01:54 PM
After all of these years I simply expect OU to win every game until proven otherwise. :D

MyT Oklahoma
6/26/2011, 01:54 PM
And I really like our chances this year.

Sooner_Tuf
6/26/2011, 03:36 PM
OU's offense should be capable of winning them all. The defense needs to be stronger on the line for me to predict a championship season.

The Sooners should be very good. Undefeated would be very special but I don't see it right now.

OUmillenium
6/26/2011, 08:54 PM
I havent felt this confident since 2004, 2008 was close.

Stooper
6/26/2011, 08:58 PM
Not that it means anything, but I feel like this is the year we get # 8. I feel our offense is going to be really hard to stop. We are very deep at receiver and I think Heupel is gonna use Hanna a lot. We are very deep at RB as you all know, and we have the ability to be very multiple. I almost forgot about Millard!! Defense I don't think will be dominant, but plenty good enough to win a championship with; as has been the case most of the years since Stoops has been here. Any way, I can't wait!!! Boomer Sooner!!!

SoonerofAlabama
6/26/2011, 10:06 PM
Lets not be cocky It is a long road to the title. Sorry to bring this up again, I truly am, but, remember what happened last year:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145504
:( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

agoo758
6/26/2011, 10:35 PM
Damn you SoonerAlabama. Go to an Auburn game for Chirssakes!

LakeRat
6/27/2011, 05:17 PM
We are the fans not the players. They need to be confident and not cocky. WE play on a message board and talk sh*t. We need to be cocky!

The Maestro
6/27/2011, 05:22 PM
I always love when people tell the fans on messageboards not to be cocky...like we have any impact on the team or outcome. Without being cocky a-holes, sports message boards go away.

delhalew
6/27/2011, 06:00 PM
I intend on talking **** to the fans of every team we have even the most remote chance of facing. I have already started in on Bama fans.

Internally, we can be rational regarding x's and o's, but it's our duty to proclaim ourselves champions of the universe to everyone we meet.

SoonerofAlabama
6/27/2011, 06:07 PM
Look, I am sorry but I just try not to be a d**k to other teams' fans just becuase we play them. I am not bashing how you handle yourselves on these messageboards, I just don't want to be like that.

Sorry. :O

delhalew
6/27/2011, 06:11 PM
Look, I am sorry but I just try not to be a d**k to other teams' fans just becuase we play them. I am not bashing how you handle yourselves on these messageboards, I just don't want to be like that.

Why the hell does good natured smack talk have to devolve into being a dick?

olevetonahill
6/27/2011, 06:26 PM

Have your Balls dropped yet?

delhalew
6/27/2011, 06:35 PM

If I run across someone who is hyper sensitive, I refuse to feel bad for stomping all over their little feelings. It's football, people. There is only ONE Oklahoma, and I'll tell you all about it.

delhalew
6/27/2011, 06:45 PM
Edit: The Bama fan who told me an OU-BAMA title game would end 56-10 Bama , was deserving of ridicule.

SoonerofAlabama
6/27/2011, 06:51 PM

Yes

SoonerofAlabama
6/27/2011, 07:51 PM
Edit: The Bama fan who told me an OU-BAMA title game would end 56-10 Bama , was deserving of ridicule.

This is how UA fans are. I do argue with 'Bama fans all the time during football season. I guess I am being a hypocrite because when they say that I give em a piece of my mind.

delhalew
6/27/2011, 08:19 PM
This is how UA fans are. I do argue with 'Bama fans all the time during football season. I guess I am being a hypocrite because when they say that I give em a piece of my mind.

If I say 56-10 about UCONN, I'm not being rude. I'm being realistic. If I say that about Bama, I'm being a delusional dick.

85sooners
6/27/2011, 09:46 PM
****em were winning all games by 50!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
6/28/2011, 10:20 AM
Don't think so. 11-2. Too many (incl. tragic) distractions in the off-season. And not enough seasoned talent in some defensive positions.

I think many individuals on the team, rightfully, will be contemplating the big "life" picture this year. When you lose a young friend like that, sure there may be some "win one for the Gipper" sentiments, but likely you have some of the more serious minded athletes trying to figure out what their life legacies are going to be. Further elevating those thoughts are trips to Haiti and contemplations of marriage. Sure it would be a nice little background story to say "I was a football player on a national championship squad." But that is only background to being a solid humanitarian, or a good husband and father. You cannot understimate how much effect this year's events have been on these young men. (And overall we should all be very proud of these young student-athletes in how they have conducted themselves in the last few months.)

And regarding the seasoned talent missing on the defense I just don't think we look particularly strong up the middle. Good players, good defense, but not championship caliber. Secondary has promise, but is unproven. I'd say for me to be confident that 13-0 was a really strong possibility, we'd have to have a defense that resembled the UF-LSU-Bama championship defenses over the last 5 years vs. last year's Oregon/Auburn defense, which is more like what I think our D will look like. I'm betting on that not being enough in Tallahassee this go around. And possibly not enough against either A&M or Oklahoma State or a letdown surprise loss in Big XII play (K-State would be a candidate.) Keep in mind we could drop one of these and still be Big XII champs, though.

And frankly, I won't be even a little disappointed if that's how the year ends up. Anything on top of that is gravy, and I am really looking forward to seeing how this season unfolds.

JLEW1818
6/28/2011, 10:37 AM
hi

The Maestro
6/28/2011, 10:54 AM
I think many individuals on the team, rightfully, will be contemplating the big "life" picture this year. When you lose a young friend like that, sure there may be some "win one for the Gipper" sentiments, but likely you have some of the more serious minded athletes trying to figure out what their life legacies are going to be. Further elevating those thoughts are trips to Haiti and contemplations of marriage. Sure it would be a nice little background story to say "I was a football player on a national championship squad." But that is only background to being a solid humanitarian, or a good husband and father. You cannot understimate how much effect this year's events have been on these young men. (And overall we should all be very proud of these young student-athletes in how they have conducted themselves in the last few months.)

Eh. Respect your posts, but I think once the ball is snapped none of that stuff matters...and I believe Bob Stoops would agree, no excuses style.

I can understand the lack of awesome talent up the middle, but I am anxious to see the development of Stacy McGee and Jamarkus McFarland from last year. We don't need a 2001 defense to win it all with this offense. And we will not lose at home. We just don't...and not with this talent.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/28/2011, 10:59 AM
Eh. Respect your posts, but I think once the ball is snapped none of that stuff matters...and I believe Bob Stoops would agree, no excuses style.

I can understand the lack of awesome talent up the middle, but I am anxious to see the development of Stacy McGee and Jamarkus McFarland from last year. We don't need a 2001 defense to win it all with this offense. And we will not lose at home. We just don't...and not with this talent.

Hear ya. I think on Saturdays, you are absolutely right. It's the six days in-between I'm contemplating. Though crossing my fingers on the McMiddle, too. To be clear, I would LOVE to be dead wrong on this and see number 8.

Boomer Sooner!

Curly Bill
6/28/2011, 11:07 AM
To say that once the ball is snapped all that other stuff doesn't matter is not realistic. Yeah, Stoops won't make excuses, but distractions are just that: distractions.

We'll need luck, or maybe I should say good fortune, dealing with injuries, distractions, crazy bounces of the ball, and we'll need a more consistent defense than quite frankly we've ever seen during the BV era to get it done.

BillyBall
6/28/2011, 11:09 AM
I said it in 2002, 2003, 2008 and 2009. I'm like god damn Nostradamus.

JLEW1818
6/28/2011, 11:09 AM
yep, every team that wins the National Title will need a little luck (or good fortune) along the way.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2011, 10:29 PM
Yay ME! And the rest of you are quite average. Posted by me, the smartest guy in the room (you know... like Enron) on 6/28, at 10:20AM:

Don't think so. 11-2. Too many (incl. tragic) distractions in the off-season. And not enough seasoned talent in some defensive positions.

And regarding the seasoned talent missing on the defense I just don't think we look particularly strong up the middle. Good players, good defense, but not championship caliber. Secondary has promise, but is unproven. I'd say for me to be confident that 13-0 was a really strong possibility, we'd have to have a defense that resembled the UF-LSU-Bama championship defenses over the last 5 years vs. last year's Oregon/Auburn defense, which is more like what I think our D will look like. I'm betting on that not being enough in Tallahassee this go around. And possibly not enough against either A&M or Oklahoma State or a letdown surprise loss in Big XII play (K-State would be a candidate.) Keep in mind we could drop one of these and still be Big XII champs, though.

And frankly, I won't be even a little disappointed if that's how the year ends up. Anything on top of that is gravy, and I am really looking forward to seeing how this season unfolds.

That is to say... big game this Saturday! Hold on to your hats!

Boomer Sooner!

sooneron
12/2/2011, 10:35 PM
Yay you.

Soonerus
12/2/2011, 11:15 PM
Self grandiosity, gross...

StoopTroup
12/2/2011, 11:35 PM
I always love when people tell the fans on messageboards not to be cocky...like we have any impact on the team or outcome. Without being cocky a-holes, sports message boards go away.

I've had plenty of disagreements with our own Fans this year who are tired of seeing us lose games that we are supposed to cruise through. Many of them think firing the DC is the perfect action to creating another MNC Team. I don't.

I don't know how many Fans of other Schools we really need but when they come here....they get treated better here than any other Message Board I know of. I can't even login at some Sooner Boards....lol You wanna talk about Dicks. Sooner Boards that have Admins like that are just about as pathetic as most the Boards in fexas....not to mention Stoolwater Boards.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2011, 11:38 PM
'cause I'm like... really serious... and stuff. What, the Enron crack at myself was what? Too soon? Lose some pension money there or what?

Lighten up, Francis-es.

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 02:40 AM
As far as Rus' Thread...I tend to agree with him that even if Landry heads to the NFL this Season....The Sooners can still be a force to be reckoned with. Bob and Josh have plenty of guys who are capable and have been studying the playbook and even getting a shot now and then when Landry was done for the Day and this year Bell has gotten unexpected exposure do to our change in strategy in the Red Zone.

Brent Venables no doubt will have Tom Wort as our Leader on Defense next year and with all of the talent that has gotten lots of exposure due to injuries at many positions on our Team....hopefully they all will work extra hard in the off-season to prepare for next years brutal run. It surely looks like some folks think we either blew it this year or had a bad string of luck. That being said...will the Media think we are any good next year? Will they give us a decent starting place like they did this year? I think tomorrow and what ever Bowl we end up in and if we win it will tell.

sooneredaco
12/3/2011, 04:26 AM
I say we get that illusive #8 next year. Winning the last CFB MNC in this planet would be quite fitting. Just sayin....

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2011, 09:51 AM
Darn jinx thread.

Jboozer
12/3/2011, 11:45 AM
I think that if we make a conscious effort not to make any of these damn we will win it all thread we will win it all. I'm just saying, if we all refrained from it for the summer/offseason, could it happen? Just a thought.... I'm really superstitious

landrun
12/3/2011, 11:52 AM
Stoop/edaco, you guys are blinded by love for this team.
BV can do all he can but the defense consistently chokes with him running it. There is NO reason to think next year will be different. NONE. Its the exact same thing year after year!

I have reached the conclusion that as long as BV in on staff, we will NEVER win #8.

If you disagree, all I can say is that the evidence is on my side! And you will be hard pressed to provide any logical reason why you think all of a sudden things will be different. It won't!

kevpks
12/3/2011, 12:11 PM
I think that if we make a conscious effort not to make any of these damn we will win it all thread we will win it all. I'm just saying, if we all refrained from it for the summer/offseason, could it happen? Just a thought.... I'm really superstitious

I'm on board with this idea. If fact, we should start a "Which two garbage programs do we lose to next year?" thread to make sure we go undefeated.

Jacie
12/3/2011, 12:40 PM
I'm on board with this idea. If fact, we should start a "Which two garbage programs do we lose to next year?" thread to make sure we go undefeated.

Notre Dame? West Virginia? TCU?

soonervegas
12/3/2011, 01:24 PM

A preseason prepare your anus thread?

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2011, 01:40 PM
Notre Dame? West Virginia? TCU?
Three conference losses?* ;) No... not with the talent we have coming back.

*You think this last offseason was wild, wait until ND joins a conference in football this next season. Oh... it will happen. (OK, maybe not quite next year.) But...Fearless** prediction: My guess is still the Big10. The Big 10 will try to be the first to 16. They'll go after ND, Boston College, maybe Kansas (raise the BB profile move), maybe Pitt, maybe even Mizzou (who I think would welcome it as it is really where they want to be.) I've said this before, but a 16 team conference will work to ND's advantage, because then you could legitimately have each division play round-robin with no cross-division, or only one or two games cross-division. Which then gives you 5, 4, or 3 OOC slots. You get ND and BC in the same division, and you take care of a ND scheduling 'want' right there, not to mention their Michigan and Michigan State scheduling wants. Then they have the other games to get USC and Navy onto ND's schedule at a minimum if you are only talking about 3 OOC games. Anyway more on that later.

**Of course it is 'Fearless'. I have no respnsibility or accountability... :D

soonervegas
12/3/2011, 01:43 PM
At WVU
At Tech

Just for the record....

mightysooner
12/3/2011, 01:56 PM

I have reached the conclusion that as long as BV in on staff, we will NEVER win #8.

^^^^ This

Let's put away all the smoke and mirrors for a minute and open up the toy box of facts.

Brent Venables annual salary = $440,000

Brent Venables defense performance rankings (since 2004):
2004 - #13 Oklahoma 13 812 3887 4.79 28 299.00 12 1
2005 - #13 Oklahoma 12 830 3680 4.43 34 306.67 8 4
2006 - #16 Oklahoma 14 858 4020 4.69 29 287.14 11 3
2007 - #26 Oklahoma 14 951 4737 4.98 34 338.36 11 3
2008 - #68 Oklahoma 14 996 5148 5.17 45 367.71 12 2
2009 - #8 Oklahoma 13 866 3544 4.09 22 272.62 8 5
2010 - #53 Oklahoma 14 1000 5066 5.07 35 361.86 12 2
2011 - #52 Oklahoma 11 799 4103 5.14 28 373.00 (currently)

Anybody see a series of steep dropoffs and a bottoming out in performance here after Mike, and all his recruits, left the program? I do! Venables has arrived at his true competency level and that level is finishing outside the top 50 in defense annually. It is what it is sooner fans. How is this guy worth his salary again?

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 02:19 PM
BV can do all he can but the defense consistently chokes with him running it. There is NO reason to think next year will be different. NONE. Its the exact same thing year after year!

If you disagree, all I can say is that the evidence is on my side! And you will be hard pressed to provide any logical reason why you think all of a sudden things will be different. It won't!

You can take the easy way to being a solid prognosticator.

It's not the same year after year.

The evidence is on my side. One year (2008) we produced a Heisman Trophy Winner that came out of Norman to later become Rookie of the Year in the NFL. OU even put up another huge Trophy because of it. Two years ago after Bradford came back to try and put #8 in the books, he and Jermaine Gresham suffered injuries that really put an end to our MNC run. Still yet Landry, Ryan and McCoy took us to the Sun Bowl to play against another Heisman Candidate from the Pac10 that would supposedly run our defense over. He didn't. The next year they took us to a BCS Fiesta Bowl after beating Nebraska solidly holding them to 20 points. Today The Sooners are playing for yet again another Big XII Championship against a Team who has never ever won a Conference Championship. Is this oSu's year? Possibly. However...I say OU's Defense shows up again tonight and shuts the Weedeater and his Offense down. It's possible I'm wrong but OU plays well in Big Games and this is a Big Game. It's been a long time since we lost a Big XII Championship. It's never happened with this Team.

Things change but what has been particularly difficult for this Team over the last few Seasons is the loss of key Defensive players like Box (Pre-Season), Travis Lewis, Wort and now Ronnell Lewis during the Season. Coaches do what they can to replace GREAT Players during the Season, sometimes better than others.....but in the end, It's what the Team does out there that gets a Team through a rough game. There are obvious reasons that can and have been noted as to why these letdowns occurred. Some folks either look to find a positive and other's look to be miserable over it.

The losses of key players has almost been unbearable to watch the last few Seasons. I put up a few Defensive players we dearly missed at times this year and then add to the fact that a guy like Dominique Whaley and Ryan Broyles get hurt. There are plenty more guys on the offense to mention who have missed playing in key games as well.

Here we sit watching tonight as this bunch of guys who bleed Crimson and Cream go into Stoolwater to play for another Big XII Championship and not only is that not good enough some some fans...some would even like to see our defense completely fall apart instead of show up and put another Big XII Championship Trophy in the Switzer Center? That kind of thinking is for losers IMO.

There are plenty of reasons to think things will be different next year. There will be a new leader on Defense and possibly we will have another stable of RBs and Landry Jones at QB should he decide to stay. We will be healed up and again hopefully full of players who are just as tired of losing a game here and there and IMO....the Coaching Staff will be no different. They play for Championships and when we lose games that our Players could just have easily Won....They have little to think but next year is going to be the year that the entire Team puts together another Perfect Season. If you don't....they probably feed on that. I do too. I'll take their blindness over yours every time.

That's not blinded by love of a Team....It's blinded by love of a very successful Football Program. Just looking at who we return and how the Head Coach and the DC have been apart of getting this Team deep into 4 attempts at a MNC. I'll put my money on them next year when I see that the only Teams out there to worry about are now all in the SEC and that they will be the hunted next year. They too are just as easily subject to losing and a bit of bad luck due to injuries.

It's how Football goes. Think not? Look at the years between 1975 and 1985 for us. Those are as big a facts as anything anyone who thinks dismantling the entire Defense on a team who is very close to having things go their way every damn year. It's absolutely ridiculous to take a stand like you are against Venables and claim that our Team isn't able to overcome a few down Games. Last year folks crapped their pants that OU couldn't win on the Road. This year we dropped one of each. Both were close games. None have been blowouts. It's insanity that troubles you my friend. You didn't get the MNC you think we should win every year. It doesn't happen to any Team. I think the Big XII has fallen apart because of many reasons but the one big one is that we have dominated the Conference over the last decade.

Conference Domination doesn't happen with just an offense. It happens when a Team comes together on both sides of the ball and that's exactly what we have done and there's no reason to think we won't continue to do it no matter whether we win a MNC or not. If it's not enough for you...I understand. Fact is OU has been playing Football for a long damn time and only won 7 MNCs but we continue to be a POWERHOUSE Program that some Conferences don't want to have in their Conference. There's a reason for that....it's called playing like a Champion....whether you win or not.

pphilfran
12/3/2011, 02:28 PM
A great program should pop an undefeated season about every ten years, so we are due...you need everything to fall into place...including injuries and luck...

We are likely to lose one...FSU and the Pokes will both be tough..we should handle tech and the Aggies but any team can get on a roll and stay far more competitive than expected...

I was close...

C&CDean
12/3/2011, 02:49 PM
OK, from what I see so far, we've got two complete ****ing idiots posting in this thread. So far. You know who you are.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2011, 02:53 PM
I was close...

Yes you were. Injuries seem to be the toughest thing for fans to accept due to the random luck nature. Fans want to feel more control (or expect it from the coaches). I see all these "disappointing season" threads because of the preseason #1 non-sense, but who thinks we would have been pre-season #1 if all the pollster had been given an injury cheat-sheet that included Broyles? None. And I certainly understand the frustration with the defense, but the bottom line is we would still be undefeated if we had Whaley in both those games we lost. No way we have 5 or 6 three and outs in a row against TT with Whaley in there. And I almost guarantee we are still undefeated if we have both Whaley and Broyles in both those games. And we would be favored tonight with some defensive question marks. We would still be heavy underdogs if we had made the title game, but we wouldn't be talking about a disappointing season.

goingoneight
12/3/2011, 02:59 PM
You don't lose guys like Mark Clayton, Ryan Broyles and DeMarco Murray who literally have the offense designed around them and just keep on scoring. Well, not unless the team you're playing against is a total turd.
That being said, the offense didn't lose the Tech game. OUr guys couldn't cover the deep fade to save their lives. That was a sickening display of a team not giving a **** until it was too late. See: Boise State 2007, Colorado 2007, West Virginia 2008, Texas Tech 2009, etc. etc.

PLaw
12/3/2011, 03:18 PM
Every summer since about '71, I expect that OU will win 'em all going into the upcoming season. Unfortunately, experience tells me that the O will have an off game or two and we won't have the defense to win those games.

Bummer, but let's go tee it up and play 'em.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2011, 03:35 PM
You don't lose guys like Mark Clayton, Ryan Broyles and DeMarco Murray who literally have the offense designed around them and just keep on scoring. Well, not unless the team you're playing against is a total turd.
That being said, the offense didn't lose the Tech game. OUr guys couldn't cover the deep fade to save their lives. That was a sickening display of a team not giving a **** until it was too late. See: Boise State 2007, Colorado 2007, West Virginia 2008, Texas Tech 2009, etc. etc.

I didn't say the offense lost the tech game, but they certainly didn't win it or control it. But I did say we would have won if we had Whaley and I'll stick to that. I also remember that Broyles wasn't fully healthy that game, but don't remember why. I'm just saying had we stayed healthy on *offense* we would still be in line for the title game and favored tonight to do so. Fans would be grumbling about the defensive numbers, but if you make the title game that would just be spoiled fan syndrome. But I also think we would be big underdogs in a title game even if we had zero injuries because both Bama and LSU have more NFL-ready players in the trenches and there is no slick game plan to overcome that.

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 06:02 PM
^^^^ This

Let's put away all the smoke and mirrors for a minute and open up the toy box of facts.

Brent Venables annual salary = $440,000

Brent Venables defense performance rankings (since 2004):
2004 - #13 Oklahoma 13 812 3887 4.79 28 299.00 12 1
2005 - #13 Oklahoma 12 830 3680 4.43 34 306.67 8 4
2006 - #16 Oklahoma 14 858 4020 4.69 29 287.14 11 3
2007 - #26 Oklahoma 14 951 4737 4.98 34 338.36 11 3
2008 - #68 Oklahoma 14 996 5148 5.17 45 367.71 12 2
2009 - #8 Oklahoma 13 866 3544 4.09 22 272.62 8 5
2010 - #53 Oklahoma 14 1000 5066 5.07 35 361.86 12 2
2011 - #52 Oklahoma 11 799 4103 5.14 28 373.00 (currently)

Anybody see a series of steep dropoffs and a bottoming out in performance here after Mike, and all his recruits, left the program? I do! Venables has arrived at his true competency level and that level is finishing outside the top 50 in defense annually. It is what it is sooner fans. How is this guy worth his salary again?

2008 was a Game for the National Championship and yet...OU lost because of not scoring in the Red Zone. 2009 was #8 in the Nation! 2005 was a MNC Game! 2009 was a Bowl win when Bradford and Gresham and others were injured and a Freshman QB had to try and keep our Defense off the field for less than 45 minutes a game. 2010 was a BCS Fiesta Bowl Championship and a Big XII Championship. 2011 is possibly another Big XII Championship tonight....

Great Stats. Moronically I guess you did make some sense.

118 Teams in Div 1A would be glad to have a DC with those stats over a 11 year period. You conveniently drop Brent off of 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003 as it helps to make your moronic stat case....

This is his really job duties even while Mike Stoops was an Assistant Coach for Bob....Venables was Defensive Coordinator. It's real easy to say that he had nothing to do with 1999-2003 but it's simply not true.

Coaching History

2004-present - Oklahoma
Associate Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, LBs

1999-2003 - Oklahoma
Co-Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 06:07 PM
That was a sickening display of a team not giving a **** until it was too late. See: Boise State 2007, Colorado 2007, West Virginia 2008, Texas Tech 2009, etc. etc.

That's your opinion but it's just not true. It's a really harsh statement about a group of guys who have played their hearts out all year. The only think sickening is your statement.

mightysooner
12/3/2011, 06:09 PM
2008 was a Game for the National Championship and yet...OU lost because of not scoring in the Red Zone. 2009 was #8 in the Nation! 2005 was a MNC Game! 2009 was a Bowl win when Bradford and Gresham and others were injured and a Freshman QB had to try and keep our Defense off the field for less than 45 minutes a game. 2010 was a BCS Fiesta Bowl Championship and a Big XII Championship. 2011 is possibly another Big XII Championship tonight....

Great Stats. Moronically I guess you did make some sense.

118 Teams in Div 1A would be glad to have a DC with those stats over a 11 year period. You conveniently drop Brent off of 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003 as it helps to make your moronic stat case....

This is his really job duties even while Mike Stoops was an Assistant Coach for Bob....Venables was Defensive Coordinator. It's real easy to say that he had nothing to do with 1999-2003 but it's simply not true.

Coaching History

2004-present - Oklahoma
Associate Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, LBs

1999-2003 - Oklahoma
Co-Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers

My "moronic" case is that Brent wasn't DC until 2004. He was a linebackers position coach under Mike. Mike was DC/Assistant Coach from 99 to 2003 and he ran the defense, not Brent. But whatever.....facts aren't facts.