PDA

View Full Version : He's got the easiest recruiting job, yet . . .

Jacie
6/24/2011, 03:27 PM
. . . he still can't dominate the conference.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1234738

What is the easiest BCS coaching job in terms of recruiting?

Mike Farrell: Texas by far. Mack Brown simply chooses who he wants in-state for the most part and the Longhorns really have only a few serious recruiting battles that head down the stretch run. By June, most of the Texas recruiting class for that year is done and loaded with five- and four-stars, and I think it's the easiest recruiting job in the country.

Adam Gorney: Texas. In one weekend in the spring, the Longhorns basically wrap up most of their recruiting class after a junior day. Probably the toughest part for the following months is to make sure other Big 12 or national teams aren't trying to steal one of the commits. Texas kids in general dream of playing for the Longhorns and once they get an offer they usually commit sometime around that junior day.

Chris Nee: Texas is a pretty great gig. It is a great school with great tradition on the football field. Terrific facilities and deep pockets. Also, it is a top school in a state known for producing talent.

Keith Niebuhr: Clearly, it's Texas. As the longtime top dog in one of the top-producing states for talent, the Longhorns get whomever they want. That is a nice luxury.

Brian Perroni: Many of the "big name" programs such as Texas and USC sort of sell themselves to an extent. Mack Brown has a solid staff in place but the Longhorns have advantages such as program prestige and being in the middle of the most fertile recruiting area in the country. USC has the same advantages but the NCAA probation is a bit of a hurdle so I will go with Texas.

The moral is, a pearl of great price is not one's for the asking . . .

BigTip
6/24/2011, 03:45 PM
How often have I seen a headline that says, "Longhorns bag #1 recruiting class again." ?

Every now and then those great recruits (VY) overcome Mack's **** poor coaching and win something.

But not often

tfoolry
6/24/2011, 04:05 PM
If Colt wouldn't have got hurt. Although I only hear about the Aggys potent offense these days.

The Maestro
6/24/2011, 04:05 PM
Like I have always said. Biggest difference between potential and performance is Texas. They should have double digit national titles if not more based on the fertile fields, tradition, money, fan base, location of university and many other facets. Yet they only have about three conference titles in the last 15 years?

rock on sooner
6/24/2011, 04:11 PM
Ummmm...OU is in the same conference, Maestro. Might have a bearing..
just sayin'

Flagstaffsooner
6/24/2011, 04:17 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051225172425/uncyclopedia/images/d/dd/The_leader_of_the_Knights_Who_Say_Ni.jpg

Nee says we will give you a shubery it you sign with the long antlers.

BoulderSooner79
6/24/2011, 04:49 PM
I probably would have given USC the nod in the Pete Carroll days. Texas gets some competition in their backyard from OU and aTm and occasionally others. USC has owned the greater LA/SD area for the last decade with UCLA being down and they have had better national appeal than the horns (must be the visible Hollywood sign). But with Pete gone and years of sanctions ahead for USC, the horns have the easiest recruiting job by far.

Soonermagik
6/24/2011, 05:11 PM
Whorns have been winning recruiting titles forever!! OU has dominated the Big 12 for the last decade. Which would you prefer?

oudavid1
6/24/2011, 11:03 PM
....because the eyes of texas are upon you til STOOPS. COMES. BACK. AGAIN!!!!!

tulsaoilerfan
6/24/2011, 11:08 PM
I disagree with the statement that the Shorthorns get whomever they want; there have been plenty of times OU has kicked their *** for the top recruits in the state

batonrougesooner
6/25/2011, 01:17 AM
Adrian Peterson...

BoulderSooner79
6/25/2011, 08:47 AM
I disagree with the statement that the Shorthorns get whomever they want; there have been plenty of times OU has kicked their *** for the top recruits in the state

The statement was hyperbole, but in the context of recruiting, the horns do get whoever they want from Texas. If you look at the top 5 rated players at each position over the years, the horns pluck a couple to fill their class depending on need (I'm talking in state). "Whoever they want" does not mean 100% in the game of recruiting.

TahoeSOONER
6/25/2011, 09:09 AM
5-7

Mack would find a way to **** up a free sandwich.

101sooner
6/25/2011, 09:10 AM
5-7

Mississippi Sooner
6/25/2011, 09:16 AM
This is one of the funniest points when whorn fans drag out the tired old "OU wins with our players" nonsense. No, OU wins with OU's players. Texas goes 5-7 with their players.

batonrougesooner
6/25/2011, 08:59 PM
Another way to look at it is to say to Texas, "You guys go pick the 25 players out of Texas you want every year and then we'll pick from what's left. And then we will beat you."

badger
6/25/2011, 11:12 PM
AD was probably the greatest recruiting job Stoops has ever done, because both recruitish schools (USC and Texasa) were desperately after him, along with the rest of the country.

AD might say something nice about the program and such as to why he chose OU, but I really think he chose Stoops... and the fact that Stoops was the only one to visit his dad in prison during recruiting period (possibly because the prison locked down on that immediately rather than let every coach in the country come visit, hehe)

Curly Bill
6/25/2011, 11:20 PM
Another way to look at it is to say to Texas, "You guys go pick the 25 players out of Texas you want every year and then we'll pick from what's left. And then we will beat you."

I don't know...this might be stretching it.

Fact is we manage to pull some of the very top players out of Texas on a regular basis, and many of em have been quite helpful to the program. Without those players we're not as good.

wright8750
6/25/2011, 11:51 PM
The bottom line after all is said and done is how many conference championships do you have? How many BCS games have you qualified to play for? How many National Championship games have you played in and how many have you won? Mack is either not getting the best players or is not getting the best out of the players he has recruited. Since Mack gets most of his players in state and Stoops gets his out of state I would say coaching is the difference. Texas usually has a weaker non conference schedule so at the end of the season it comes back to bite them. Yes they have more wins in history but take away the cup cakes and you see why Oklahoma has a stronger history of winning conference and National Championships. Numbers don't lie. I do remember the times that when Texas was a member of the S.W. Conference and O.U. was a member of the Big Eight. O.U. qualified to win the championship of both conferences.

batonrougesooner
6/26/2011, 03:19 AM
I don't know...this might be stretching it.

Fact is we manage to pull some of the very top players out of Texas on a regular basis, and many of em have been quite helpful to the program. Without those players we're not as good.

My point is that I concede the fact that Texas essentially gets who they target every year in the state of Texas. They rarely recruit anybody outside of Texas. It is not typical for OU to "steal" a recruit Texas really wants. There have been a few exceptions but it's not the rule. There is plenty of talent to go around so even if Texas were able to essentially draft the first 25 players they want every year there would still be enough talent left for OU to take 12-15 of them and still out perform Texas on a consistent basis. The history of the Stoops era proves the point because that's exactly what has happened.

Curly Bill
6/26/2011, 03:32 AM
My point is that I concede the fact that Texas essentially gets who they target every year in the state of Texas. They rarely recruit anybody outside of Texas. It is not typical for OU to "steal" a recruit Texas really wants. There have been a few exceptions but it's not the rule. There is plenty of talent to go around so even if Texas were able to essentially draft the first 25 players they want every year there would still be enough talent left for OU to take 12-15 of them and still out perform Texas on a consistent basis. The history of the Stoops era proves the point because that's exactly what has happened.

This is an insane and inaccurate statement. Never have we been shut out of the top 25 in Texas, and if we where we would soon find ourselves playing 2nd fiddle to not just the whorns but others as well.

And other than BV I give our coaches a lot of credit, and there's no question the OU coaching staff is well above that of Texas, but if we get shut out of the top 25 players in Texas on a consistent basis I don't care how good our coaches are we'll fall behind.

batonrougesooner
6/26/2011, 05:24 AM
This is an insane and inaccurate statement. Never have we been shut out of the top 25 in Texas, and if we where we would soon find ourselves playing 2nd fiddle to not just the whorns but others as well.

And other than BV I give our coaches a lot of credit, and there's no question the OU coaching staff is well above that of Texas, but if we get shut out of the top 25 players in Texas on a consistent basis I don't care how good our coaches are we'll fall behind.

But that's not what I'm saying either. We're not "shut out" of anything. Top 25 is pretty subjective. I'm just saying go ahead and let Texas take their top 25 because that's essentially what they do anyway. We still seem to do alright.

Okie35
6/26/2011, 08:44 AM
This is one of the funniest points when whorn fans drag out the tired old "OU wins with our players" nonsense. No, OU wins with OU's players. Texas goes 5-7 with their players.

OU players and OU coaches. You can recruit whatever talented players you want but you won't much win w/ **** coaches.

AlbqSooner
6/26/2011, 08:48 AM
"Oklahoma University has given more Te jas high school football players the ability to wear Championship rings than all the Te jas colleges and universities combined."
Barry Switzer

texaspokieokie
6/26/2011, 08:58 AM
But that's not what I'm saying either. We're not "shut out" of anything. Top 25 is pretty subjective. I'm just saying go ahead and let Texas take their top 25 because that's essentially what they do anyway. We still seem to do alright.

you're essentially repeating your previous post. if tx got their 25 picks, it would hurt OU. it would hurt several schools, like atm,osu & others.

reckon tx wanted Tommie Harris ?? there's a long list of guys like that, that they didn't get. i'm too lazy, but you can look it up.

batonrougesooner
6/26/2011, 09:17 AM
Yes they wanted Harris. They wanted Peterson, McFarland, and a couple others I'm sure. Each year there's probably a recruit, maybe two, that we went head to head with Texas for that we won the battle. The others may be players that Texas expressed an interest in but didn't go all out to get or more likely players that Texas chose to ignore completely.

But that's ok. Look at all the players we've had from Texas the last ten plus years. By definition they are players who are from Texas but didn't play football at Texas. They did ok.

texaspokieokie
6/26/2011, 09:21 AM
i think we agree, but i think OU gets more that tx wants, than you will acknowledge.

actually, tx does so much early recruiting that they do get most of who they want. so maybe we do agree.

Dan Thompson
6/26/2011, 10:37 AM
It sounds funny to me, that Texas fans keep complaining that OU steals their players.

How many players can a team have? Not everone can go to Texas and they do have the best recruiting class each year.

If Texas took all the Texas players OU has, then maybe the additional players would lower the class to second best recruiting class.

So we are doing them a favor by letting them select the best and we take their rejects:)

SoonerofAlabama
6/26/2011, 11:06 AM
It is impossible to "steal" a player. Recruits choose the college they want to attend by their own free will. We don't come into a recruit's house, drug him, and take him to OU and have him sign a commitment paper when he is hopped up on some drug. I think it's pretty simple. Players who want to contend for national titles each year attend OU; players who want to enjoy a lot of hype and then not deliver go to Texas. Now that said it's not like Texas goes 5-7 every year, but with the way they recruit they should win more national titles. When you are in the most fertile recruiting ground in all of the U.S. you should expect more of your team. As everyone knows, most Texas kids have a dream of playing for Texas, so they commit there when they can. Others want to get out tof the state to play for other teams.

batonrougesooner
6/26/2011, 10:02 PM
i think we agree, but i think OU gets more that tx wants, than you will acknowledge.

actually, tx does so much early recruiting that they do get most of who they want. so maybe we do agree.

I think we essentially agree.

Like you menitoned, look how quickly they fill their class every year. I suspect that they back off of kids who don't quickly jump into the fold. Unless they're really special like a Peterson etc.

Curly Bill
6/26/2011, 11:48 PM
I think we essentially agree.

Like you menitoned, look how quickly they fill their class every year. I suspect that they back off of kids who don't quickly jump into the fold. Unless they're really special like a Peterson etc.

There's no question that before Texas will offer most players, they expect that player to have pretty much already committed. This allows them to claim they don't lose many recruiting battles. There are a few exceptions such as AD, Macfarland and a few others that they've actually fought down to the wire for, but for the most part they only "offer" those who they know they can get.

OU on the other hand throws out a wide net and offers most all the top players. Guess Bob is more secure in that he's not afraid to cast that net out there.