PDA

View Full Version : Any Civil War Artifact Collectors Out There?

lexsooner
6/24/2011, 12:01 PM
I was a Civil War buff when I was a kid. Now that I have the financial resources, I have been looking at some websites selling war relics. Does anyone know if there is a lot of fake stuff out there? I noticed CSA stuff is at least ten times more expensive than Union items, so I would imagine CSA relics are faked a lot. Does anyone know of any reputable dealers of Civil War relics?

saucysoonergal
6/24/2011, 12:03 PM
Be careful if Sicem offers you a genuine Civil War scooter.

Penguin
6/24/2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.personal.psu.edu/cjc5189/first%20cell.jpg

I'll sell you Robert E. Lee's cell phone. $500 (voice and data plan not included)

Breadburner
6/24/2011, 12:18 PM
Watch out for the confederate stuff....

JohnnyMack
6/24/2011, 12:24 PM
OleVet is still around. He IS a Civil War artifact!

Thaumaturge
6/24/2011, 12:38 PM
How much would an artistic replica of Stonewall Jackson's amputated arm go for at auction?

GKeeper316
6/24/2011, 01:01 PM
a reporter friend that worked in virginia claims civil war veteran cemetaries get grave robbed all the time.

JohnnyMack
6/24/2011, 01:37 PM
I was a Civil War buff when I was a kid. Now that I have the financial resources, I have been looking at some websites selling war relics. Does anyone know if there is a lot of fake stuff out there? I noticed CSA stuff is at least ten times more expensive than Union items, so I would imagine CSA relics are faked a lot. Does anyone know of any reputable dealers of Civil War relics?

http://www.earlyamerican.com/Auctions/ClientPages/home.php

Dana Linett. He's a ******, but he knows his ****.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/24/2011, 01:44 PM
I have a boot with a foot in it.

StoopTroup
6/24/2011, 01:55 PM
I used to have an old leather bag that had lead balls and a powder horn with it. I think my Dad tucked it away and gave it to my 1/2 Brother as he is a Civil War Actor up in Pittsburgh. I remember all sorts of stuff when I was younger at my Grand parents. I'm sure it all just walked off over the years.

Even so I remember it.....that was in the 60's so who knows if any of it was real. At that point it was just popular because of Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett and all the TV and movies being made.

Memtig14
6/24/2011, 02:32 PM
I have two friends that are avid hunters.

Some stuff they are willing to sell, some stuff not.

What are you looking for?

oudanny
6/24/2011, 02:45 PM
I have dealt with Shiloh Relics (shilohrelics.com). I have a few items but most cost more than I am willing to invest. Bullets and common buttons are probably the easiest to acquire. It's a good place to start.

lexsooner
6/24/2011, 02:46 PM
I have two friends that are avid hunters.

Some stuff they are willing to sell, some stuff not.

What are you looking for?

Belt buckles, chest plates.

Jacie
6/24/2011, 03:08 PM
If there are any gun shows in your area go to one and look around, someone there will have things for sale. I would not buy until I had done my research but it will give you an opportunity to see some things, maybe meet with another collector as opposed to a dealer.

As they say in coin collecting, buy the book before you buy the coin.

oudanny
6/27/2011, 11:04 AM
Here is a good article that I found.

Collecting Confederate Belt Buckles

By Amanda Young

Have you ever wondered about that dirt-covered belt buckle that your dog dug up in the backyard? That item you marked as junk and threw in the garage to collect dust could actually be a rare antique with an unbelievable story of war attached to it. In addition, it might be worth a lot, too.

The Confederate soldier's belt buckle is a remarkable investment for anyone who has a passion for antiques. A variety of antique buckles exist from the Civil War-era that are rich in history and worthy of including in any collection. Knowing what to look for and a healthy suspicion of fakes are essential when collecting these rare items.

Like any other antique, collectors should be familiar with various factors that determine the value of a Confederate buckle. This includes rarity, provenance, condition and the overall attractiveness of the buckle. All factors are important and should be considered.

According to experts, the most common buckles are the provisional egg-shaped with the letters "CS" found in western campaign sites in late 1863 or after. These sites include areas in Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi to name a few. A fine, nonexcavated example with fine patina and perfect shape will sell for about $3,000. This style in a slightly poorer condition with a broken or bent hook would most likely bring between $600 and $1,000. Unmarked rectangular frame buckles sell for less because they are more common.

Certain buckles are highly desirable and sought after by the collector. Several of the rarest include, but are not limited to, two-piece rectangular "CS" and Confederate Navy buckles made by Leech & Rigdon, waist belt plates with the words "Freedom of Death" or "North Carolina" and several waist belt plates once belonging to officers. These buckles are more scarce and consequently, more valuable. Also, Civil War buckles, Confederate and Union alike, that have been struck by bullets or have bullets embedded in them are rare and desirable. These buckles can sell for $1,000 and up.

In recent years, it has become much easier to reproduce Confederate buckles and much harder to determine a fake from the authentic. Counterfeiters often purchase cheap Civil War-era brass or copper from the shows and then melt down the metal and recast it into Confederate plates.

When tested, the results will show these buckles as being very old, even though they are newly cast. To achieve an aged look, counterfeiters will bury the buckle in the ground for a few years. Patina, the coating on the buckles, is important to aesthetics and value, and fake patina is getting harder to detect for a novice.

Steve Mullinax, the acknowledged authority in this field, is exceptional at authenticating and certifying Confederate belt buckles. Author of Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates, Mullinax knows how common it is to come across a fake buckle. In one instance, he appraised a prized buckle in a collection that existed since the 1960s. The Confederate Navy "Isaac and Company" buckle supposedly belonged to one of the officers of the CSS Alabama, and the owner even had paperwork with it. The buckle ended up having no value, but was mistakenly bought for thousands of dollars nearly 30 years ago.

Digging for buckles requires patience, knowledge, and even a bit of luck. About a month ago, Steve and others were digging for buckles in Dallas, Ga when one of his fellow diggers recovered a square buckle with rounded edges 15 feet away from where Steve was searching. The worth of the buckle ended up to be around $4,000. Sometimes, it's just a matter of where you're standing.

Mullinax's book, Confederate Belt Buckles & Plates, provides collectors with information about the endless variety of Confederate buckles. In it, one can see pictures of buckles, learn the history of each buckle and discover how rare each buckle really is. Confederate Belt Buckles & Plates is also one great reference to check the authenticity of a buckle. One can compare descriptions and dimensions of his or her buckle with those in the book to check for authenticity. Collectors still must be warned that this method does not guarantee authenticity, but it is a great way to start.

John Sexton is another expert who has studied Confederate relics for 30 years. He also knows how easy it has become to reproduce a Confederate buckle. John says, "It is most important to get a letter of authenticity from an expert like Steve Mullinax," because many dealers have a hard time telling the difference between a replica and a real buckle. John believes that authenticity is the most important thing when purchasing a Confederate belt buckle. Without obtaining a letter of guarantee (as with all Confederate articles), authenticity can and inevitably will be questioned. It is in the best interest of any collector who has any doubt about a buckle being considered for purchase to obtain a LOA from a noted authority.

Several sources are available when searching for collectible buckles. These include the Internet, Civil War shows, relic shops and antique shops. The most recent available sites come from the Internet, such as eBay, where sellers try to auction off a wide range of items to interested buyers. However again, Mullinax urges that buyers strongly question the authenticity before buying because anyone can take a picture of a buckle and try to sell it over the Internet. Without seeing the buckle or a letter of authenticity in person, it becomes harder to trust an unknown seller.

Curious collectors who want to learn more about Civil War relics should keep an eye out for local Civil War shows, such as the upcoming 26th Annual Civil War Show and Sale in Atlanta, hosted by the North Georgia Relic Hunters. This event will take place August 7 and 8 at the Cobb County Civic Center and is a great source of information for collectors. More information on this event and others like it can be found by contacting your local Relic Hunters Association or by searching the web.

For those who aren't able to make it to a show, they can contact John Sexton at [email protected] with any Civil War-related questions. If you wish to acquire a letter of authenticity for your buckle, you can contact Steve Mullinax at [email protected]. He charges $100 per letter, but his expertise is worth the investment. Mullinax also buys and sells authentic Civil War buckles from serious collectors.

It is important to research any antique item before investing in it, especially Confederate belt buckles. Finding the real thing can be exciting, so get that box of buckles you have always been curious about and take it to an expert to get them appraised. And the next time your dog brings something in the house that looks like junk, don't toss it, have it appraised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits:
Group buckle photos courtesy: Jack Melton, [email protected]
All other photos courtesy: Steve Mullinax, Confederate Belt Buckles & Plates which can be purchased at www.relicman.com.

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 11:25 AM
Anybody know what the hell this is?

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8237/imageohs.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2415/imageogo.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/90/imageogo.jpg/

Curly Bill
6/27/2011, 11:45 AM
Take it to Pawn Stars, they can tell ya.

lexsooner
6/27/2011, 11:52 AM
Anybody know what the hell this is?

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8237/imageohs.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2415/imageogo.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/90/imageogo.jpg/

I'm guessing it is a Union breast plate.

Mjcpr
6/27/2011, 11:53 AM
It looks like an ink pen weight. They were used to hold down Gel pens back during the windy days of the Civil War.

Curly Bill
6/27/2011, 11:53 AM
I'm going with a coat/jacket button.

Mississippi Sooner
6/27/2011, 11:58 AM
That guy who authenticates Civil War stuff for Pawn Stars said to always beware of any confederate items, particularly those made of metal such as belt buckles and buttons. He said that because the southern economy collapsed to such a degree, most of that stuff was melted down long ago. There are lots of fakes out there.

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 12:04 PM
I'm going with a coat/jacket button.Awfully big for that. It's about 1 3/4" diameter.

Mjcpr
6/27/2011, 12:05 PM
Awfully big for that. It's about 1 3/4" diameter.

Maybe it is Howzit's penis?

Curly Bill

Maybe it's for a BIG coat/jacket? :D

Mjcpr
Wait....you said diameter.

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 12:08 PM
It's about the size of one of Mongo's pubes...

SoCaliSooner
6/27/2011, 12:09 PM
I'd like to collect some slaves...but they are hard to find.

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 12:10 PM
I have a connection...srsly, check yer pm's...

lexsooner
6/27/2011, 12:12 PM

Where did you get it? Is it supposed to be Civil War era? It really does not look like any Civil War relic I have seen for sale. The size of it is more consistent with a breastplate or cartridge box plate, but the back of it with the one long hook is not consistent at all.

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 12:16 PM
Where did you get it? Is it supposed to be Civil War era? It really does not look like any Civil War relic I have seen for sale. The size of it is more consistent with a breastplate or cartridge box plate, but the back of it with the one long hook is not consistent at all.Have no idea of it's origin...My Grandaddy gave it to my Dad and he gave it to me. Grandad is worm food(RIP) and Dad don't know **** about ****...

Howzit
6/27/2011, 12:17 PM

Maybe it is Howzit's penis?

Wait....you said diameter.

You're getting wet. I just know it.

Mongo
6/27/2011, 12:17 PM
Have no idea of it's origin...My Grandaddy gave it to my Dad and he gave it to me. Grandad is worm food(RIP) and Dad don't know **** about ****...

this is how you respect your elders people:D

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2011, 12:21 PM
this is how you respect your elders people:DNot to Dad's face, he's got an uppercut that'll make ya look like a pez dispenser...

Mongo
6/27/2011, 12:25 PM

I know I am

JohnnyMack
6/27/2011, 12:26 PM
I'm already smoking a cigarette and looking for my shoes.

Mjcpr
6/27/2011, 12:31 PM

Could you hear it?