PDA

View Full Version : 1971

Sooner04
6/23/2011, 11:40 PM
40 years ago this season the most prolific and efficient offense ever assembled in college football convened in Norman, Oklahoma. Thanks to a book I picked up years ago, I have access to every article on every game played by Oklahoma in the decade of the 1970s published by the Daily Oklahoman. And I will share these articles with you because I think the offense of 1971 is something that should never be forgotten. I think the offense of 1971 should be treasured because it was a runaway locomotive barreling downhill over the overmatched defenses of the day.

I'm typing these articles into Word and posting them here from there, so it will take me a while. Rest assured, I will complete it for you as time permits. I hope you have as much fun reliving the greatness of that team as I did learning about them as a kid.

First, the pre-season polls and analysis.

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Michigan
4. Southern California
5. Louisiana State
6. Texas
7. Arkansas
8. Penn State
9. Tennessee
10. Arizona State
11. Auburn
12. Houston
13. Georgia Tech
14. Ohio State
15. Washington
16. Texas Tech
17. OKLAHOMA
18. Syracuse
19. Colorado
20. North Carolina

Shortly after Oklahoma's third game last season, Coach Chuck Fairbanks pondered his team's 2-1 record, squirmed nervously when he thought about his sputtering offense, became downright uncomfortable when he looked ahead to all those Texases, Colorados and Nebraskas on the horizon--and decided to shoot craps. Until then he had tried to parlay an inexperienced offensive line, a group of quick receivers and runners, and the cool of quarterback Jack Mildren into a pass-oriented offense.

"But when we got into the season," Fairbanks recalls, "we found ourselves too dependent on the passing game. We had to get run-oriented and the best way to do it was with the Wishbone."

So right there, after a spring and fall of personal attention to all those raw rookie linemen, Chuck Fairbanks started all over again. There was a meeting, some grumbling, even more explaining, then a kiss of the dice, a look to Heaven and a quick roll.

"The worst thing was its birthdate," says Fairbanks. That was against Texas, the master of the Wishbone, and the result was a 41-9 embarrassment. But after that, Oklahoma lost only in the last minute to Kansas State and by a touchdown to national champion Nebraska.

"That's what makes this year so exciting," muses junior halfback Joe Wylie. "By the end of last year we had become something more than just a good football team. And this year, well, it should be better yet."

On offense, Oklahoma returns nine of 11 starters, including the multi-talented Mildren and a fine runner in Wylie. On defense, seven are back, including a superb end, Raymond Hamilton, and one of the country's best linebackers, Steve Aycock.

The burden of guiding the offense again will fall to Mildren, unjustly blamed last year for much of Oklahoma’s passing failure. He is the key, as any quarterback is, to the success or failure of this year’s Wishbone. A proud, confident leader, Mildren has mistakenly—and too often—taken last year’s change personally. Fairbanks, for one, dispels such notions.

“When we made the change in our attack and things started falling in place, the team began to have success. And when the team started having success, so did Jack. He just wants to win worse than the rest of us.”

This year Mildren will have a better chance to exploit his many talents. He gained 572 yards last year as a runner and completed nearly 50% of his passes.

“Yeah, sure,” he says. “But I saw how the team went, and it didn’t go as well as I wanted. Personally, I don’t feel I have anything to prove to anyone. I only have to prove to myself we can win it all. And you know we’re ready.”

“Oh, I feel good about our team,” Fairbanks adds, but goes on to temper such enthusiasm. “I feel good until I look at our schedule.”

Then he stares Heaven-ward with the gleam of a man ready if need be to shoot craps once more.

Sooner04
6/23/2011, 11:41 PM
STREET & SMITH’S

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Notre Dame
4. Auburn
5. Michigan
6. Wake Forest
7. Arkansas
8. Tennessee
9. Georgia Tech
10. Arizona State
11. South Carolina
12. Southern California
13. Ohio State
14. Syracuse
15. OKLAHOMA

An all-out challenge for the top spot depends on how the Sooners play defense and incorporate a passing game with their explosive running. These were Oklahoma’s major problems a year ago when it went 7-4-1 on the wings of a 4-for-5 recovery streak before tying Alabamuh in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl.

With quarterback Jack Mildren puppetting the wishbone-T, OU returns a star-studded cast of junior running backs in Joe Wylie (6-1, 180), Greg Pruitt (5-9, 177) and Leon Crosswhite (6-2, 194). Wylie was the Big Eight sophomore of the year after gaining 984 yards. Pruitt, despite his size the key blocker for Wylie’s sweeps, didn’t go to halfback until mid-season and then gained 241 yards, caught 19 passes for 240 yards and returned 16 kickoffs for 325 yards. Crosswhite didn’t land the starting fullback job until the sixth game but was the second-leading rusher with 568 yards.

Mildren (6-1, 196), a senior, is a superb triple-option operator. Despite inadequate protection he hit on 54 of 110 passing bids for 818 yards and seven touchdowns. He rushed 175 times for 572 yards.

Coach Chuck Fairbanks has insisted an aerial game (only 88.4 yards per game in ’70) become more of an integral part of the OU look. The return of five up-front offensive starters should provide a nucleus in firming up the shield. Wide receivers Jon Harrison and Willie Franklin return.

Defensively, Steve Aycock, All-League linebacker, joins end Ray Hamilton in leading the return of seven starters. Most glaring void to fill will be safety, and this was an area where the Sooners were most vulnerable (1905 yards in ’70 because of inexperience and lack of depth).

Also high on OU’s must-fill list is place-kicking after the departure of 3-year veteran Bruce Derr.

Sooner04
6/23/2011, 11:43 PM
AP PRESEASON POLL

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Texas
4. Michigan
5. Southern California
6. Auburn
7. Arkansas
8. Tennessee
9. Louisiana State
10. OKLAHOMA
11. Ohio State
12. Penn State
13. Syracuse
14. Arizona State
15. UCLA
16. Alabamuh
17. Georgia Tech
18. Georgia
19. Stanford
20. Northwestern

GAME PLAN

1. Nebraska
2. Notre Dame
3. UCLA
4. Southern California
5. Alabamuh
6. OKLAHOMA
7. Auburn
8. Tennessee
9. Texas
10. Syracuse
11. Louisiana State
12. Michigan
13. Florida
14. Georgia Tech
15. Oregon
16. Texas Tech
17. Washington
18. Arkansas
19. Northwestern
20. Arizona State

When the Oklahoma wind comes whipping down the trail this fall, it is likely to stir up images of the 1950s, a 47-game winning streak and Tommy McDonald. With almost the entire team returning from the one that improved last season like wind-blown tumbleweed moving faster and faster, opponents may wonder how in the name of Bud Wilkinson they are going to stop the Sooners. It’s very simple—they won’t.

Sixteen starters are back from last Fall’s Astro-Bluebonnet club and 11 of them are juniors. One regular who isn’t a junior is Jack Mildren. Three years ago he was the most sought after high school quarterback in the country, attracting phone calls from men named Darrell Royal and Johnny Unitas, suggesting where he might spend his next four years. Mildren (6-0, 196) is an accomplished ball handler and runner, but has yet to fulfill his potential as a passer. And Coach Chuck Fairbanks believes that the Sooners must develop a passing attack to balance the awesome array of runners. Mildren threw only 11 times a game last fall, completing nearly 50 percent for 818 yards and seven touchdowns. He also scampered for 318 more yards and would have been well above 500 if the offensive line had developed sooner.

In Joe Wylie, Leon Crosswhite and Greg Pruitt, Oklahoma may have the best set of running backs in the country. Added to Mildren’s slippery option running, the Oklahoma ground game may be comparable to the Texas attack of two seasons ago with Street, Worster, Bertelsen and Koy. Wylie (6-1, 180) earned All-Big Eight honors in ’70 as he streaked for 964 yards, a 6.2 average gain and 12 touchdowns. Crosswhite (6-2, 194) ran for 568 yards, compiled mostly in seven games after he became a starter. Pruitt (5-9, 177), who along with Wylie give Oklahoma a pair of breakaway threats, developed late last year, gaining 241 yards at 5.4 yards a clip and tallied five times. In addition, he caught 19 passes for 240 yards and two scores. Yes, all three are juniors.

Willie Franklin returns at split end and Al Chandler at tight end, but neither set any pass receiving records in 1970. Franklin (6-2, 195) nabbed nine for 146 yards and two TDs while Chandler (6-3, 221) also grabbed nine for 172 yards.

The offensive line is built around center Tom Brahaney (6-2, 218) and guard Dean Unruh (6-3, 234). Ken Jones (6-4, 220) will start at the other guard, but both tackles are open. Senior Ron Stacy (6-4, 242) and junior Tommy Saunders (6-2, 223) have experience at the position and will probably get the starting nod.

The defense is not as experienced as the offense, yet it shouldn’t give Fairbanks any ulcers as long as All-Big Eight returnee Steve Aycock commands the unit from his middle linebacker position. Aycock (6-2, 207) led the Sooners in tackles last fall. Gary Baccus (6-4, 216) is back on the strong side and veteran Mark Driscoll (6-0, 202) boasts plenty of experience at weakside linebacker.

The line will require assistance. Defensive end Raymond Hamilton (6-1, 230) and tackle Derland Moore (6-4, 240) are the only returning starters. Hamilton may be switched to tackle or middle guard, depending on where he’s needed most. Two sophomores have a good chance of breaking into the defensive lineup: end George Davis (6-5, 220) and tackle Drake Andrarakes (6-3, 230). The secondary is experienced but must be better than last year when it surrendered 1,900 yards in the air. The veterans there are cornerbacks Larry Roach (6-0, 183) and Steve O’Shaughnessy (5-11, 180) and safety John Shelley (6-0, 190).

GAME PLAN CONCLUSION: The Sooners appear to be primed to challenge for conference and national honors. The offense will once again be potent, especially on the ground. The secondary needs to tighten up a bit, but the Oklahoma defense will be tough. Look for the Sooners to finish first or second in the Big Eight.

Looks like the guys from Game Plan had their crystal balls properly calibrated.

picasso
6/24/2011, 12:30 AM
Sweet.

bigfatjerk
6/24/2011, 07:35 AM
This is a very educational 30 minutes for those that choose to watch.
ClYFBtA8rvU

swardboy
6/24/2011, 07:57 AM
The roots of a dynasty.

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 08:21 AM
The roots of a dynasty.

Bud got the roots planted. (or however roots get started)

AlbqSooner
6/24/2011, 09:47 AM
One more amazing factoid about the 71 season:
Nebraska was undefeated; OU lost only to Nebraska by 4; and, Colorado lost only to OU by 3 and Nebraska by 7. Final National rankings were Nebraska 1, OU 2, Colorado 3.

Ponder on that for a moment. Talk with a Colorado player from that year and he can tell you that his team finished 3rd in the conference - and third in the Nation. Never been done by a conference before or since.

tfoolry
6/24/2011, 10:08 AM
Bud got the roots planted. (or however roots get started)

I'm just glad I was in Norman for the 2000 'Holer game and resurrection.

Feel like your life is going nowhere.
Hey poor, you don't have to be poor anymore.
Bob Stoops is here! (Don't tell the devil)
In the name of Bud (Alleluiah!)
NO SEX UNTIL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_i8sxt3z_2sk/TS0DbV-dI2I/AAAAAAAAAh4/nMi82XsK07c/s1600/image3767745g.jpg

The Maestro
6/24/2011, 10:47 AM
My dad was at that 1970 OU-Texas game with a horn fan. He told me that he told the guy, "You got us now...but what you saw is the beginning of something great." He was right.

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 10:50 AM
Pruitt averaged 9.36 ypc.
Roy Bell played a lot, for Wylie. Bell was big in the MO game.

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 10:54 AM
Mildren & Pruitt each rushed for over 1000 yds.
K-State had beaten OU twice in a row. OU won like 75-28.

Mildren tackled 49 times in tx game & 14 were "slobber knockers" !!

according to Frank Broyles after studying game film.

BoulderSooner79
6/24/2011, 10:55 AM
Nebraska was undefeated; OU lost only to Nebraska by 4; and, Colorado lost only to OU by 3 and Nebraska by 7. Final National rankings were Nebraska 1, OU 2, Colorado 3.

Ponder on that for a moment. Talk with a Colorado player from that year and he can tell you that his team finished 3rd in the conference - and third in the Nation. Never been done by a conference before or since.

You must be thinking the wrong season. Both OU and NU stomped CU that season (45-17, 31-7) making it all the more amazing that CU finished #3.

SoonerPride
6/24/2011, 11:52 AM
Feel like your life is going nowhere.
Hey poor, you don't have to be poor anymore.
Bob Stoops is here! (Don't tell the devil)
In the name of Bud (Alleluiah!)
NO SEX UNTIL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_i8sxt3z_2sk/TS0DbV-dI2I/AAAAAAAAAh4/nMi82XsK07c/s1600/image3767745g.jpg

A little Front 242 shout out. Sweet.

osQMG9f0HC0

MyT Oklahoma
6/24/2011, 01:24 PM
MyT Oklahoma = Still having fun since the Run of '71.

It all started for me after hearing the score of the OU/KSU game. It'll be 40 years of Sooner memories for me come this September.

And who could forget the 472.4 yards per game rushing average (which is still the NCAA record)?

BOOMER......

P.S. Thanks for sharing.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 01:33 PM
And who could forget the 472.4 yards per game rushing average (which is still the NCAA record)?

Yes, sir.

MOST YARDS GAINED RUSHING PER GAME
472.4—Oklahoma, 1971 (5,196 in 11) (FBS)

stoopified
6/24/2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, sir.

MOST YARDS GAINED RUSHING PER GAME
472.4—Oklahoma, 1971 (5,196 in 11) (FBS)That stat is the first thing to pop into my head when I saw the title 1971.That was without a doubt the greatest rushing offense in CFB history.I would add that the 2008 OU offense is the greatest all around offense(total yards,points,points per game.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 02:03 PM
That stat is the first thing to pop into my head when I saw the title 1971.That was without a doubt the greatest rushing offense in CFB history.I would add that the 2008 OU offense is the greatest all around offense(total yards,points,points per game.

Well, thank you for posting. Made me look up some info and I found a good site:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/DI/2010/2010Collegiate.pdf

Sooner04
6/24/2011, 02:42 PM
SEPTEMBER 19, 1971:
OU – 30
SMU – 0

SOONERS LOOK REAL SLICK

By Bob Hart
Staff Writer

NORMAN – The sun had the gall not to show up for Oklahoma’s opener Saturday but a stout defense and a rookie’s toe glittered in the gloom as Southern Methodist was easily dispatched, 30-0.

Umbrellas, which grew like multi-colored mushrooms throughout Owen Stadium offered the 48,500 drenched fans no more protection than SMU was able to afford its ball carriers. It rained Sooner defenders, too. The Ponies crossed the 50-yard line only twice and never moved closer than 29 yards to the goal.

Offensively, he Sooners were at times overpowering and at times spasmodic. Most points were produced by a rookie who grew up in the shadow of Owen Stadium. John Carroll, son of a former Sooner track star, booted field goals of 33, 25 and 45 yards. Greg Pruitt, Jack Mildren and Leon Crosswhite added the touchdowns on short runs.

Oklahoma didn’t have to sweat this one after gaining a 20-0 lead at halftime. Perspiration wasn’t the problem anyway, in the rainy 50-degree afternoon. It was the first time rain had fallen on a Sooner opener since 1936.

Southern Methodist hadn’t been shutout since 1967 and Oklahoma hadn’t produced a shutout since routing Nebraska, 47-0, in 1968.

The squishy Tartan turf provided reasonable footing but moisture affected ball handling as SMU bobbled away the ball four times. Two of the fumbles led to touchdowns and one to a field goal. Oklahoma fumbled twice.

It was a day for field position football and the Sooners played it as it is written in the textbook. SMU invariably started in the shadow of its own goal. The Sooners went 69, 58 and 27 yards for their touchdowns.

Actually, they had four other reasonable opportunities. Two were frittered away inside the five, another at the 13 and another at the 36.

But the day belonged to the defense, an area which Sooner muscles were somewhat suspect. Typical of Sooner defensive heroics was the series around SMU’s strongest thrust. The Sooners were already resting on a 27-0 lead when the Ponies pranced to a first down on the Oklahoma 32. Three straight plays netted a minus-12 yards. The straight stops were made by Raymond “Sugar Bear” Hamilton.

The 237-pound end, with jets in his cleats, became a steady companion of SMU quarterback Gary Hammond. He tossed him for losses of three and nine yards and then held him for no gain.

A roughing-the-kicker penalty moved the ball to the 29, but the Mustangs still needed seven yards for a first down. Instead, they got a four-yard loss when Derland Moore trapped Alvin Maxson.

Bunching eight to 10 men at the line of scrimmage, SMU dared Oklahoma to pass. Mildren put up only seven passes, completing two for 18 yards.

Launching the slippery ball seemed unnecessary with the Sooners grinding out 342 yards. Mildren got most of those yards, 109 on 25 carries. When Mildren wasn’t keeping inside, he was pitching out to Pruitt who gained 90 or Joe Wylie who picked up 68.

It was Pruitt’s 39-yard scamper which set up Carroll’s 33-yard field goal on the first possession.

SMU bobbled the ensuing kick after a bruising tackle by Steve Dodd and Tim Welch recovered on the 30. That opportunity died on the four when Mildren’s fourth-and-one lob went over Albert Chandler’s head. Opportunity No. 2 squired out of the Sooners’ hands on the next possession. Hamilton’s rush had forced a weak kick which gave Oklahoma the ball on the Mustang 36. Again, OU stalled with Carroll missing a 46-yard field goal try.

The frustration ended and OU firmly established control on its next try with a 69-yard, 11-play drive. Pruitt spun 13 yards off left tackle and Wylie raced 28 to highlight the thrust. Pruitt slashed over from the six and Carroll hit the first of three extra points to make it 10-0.
Defense—and Hamilton—rose up again. Sugar Bear wrapped his big paws around Hammond as the enemy quarterback was attempting to pitch out. Steve Aycock pounced on the bobble at the SMU seven. Three plays lost a yard but Carroll salvaged the three points with a 25-yarder.

Another fumble, this one recovered by Geoffrey Nordgren, launched OU’s 58-yard, 11-play drive just before halftime. Mildren opened the door 14 yards to Jon Harrison on a key third-down play. Then the senior quarterback kept off left tackle for 10 yards and the touchdown.

Nordgren started the second half as he ended the first, falling on a Southern Methodist fumble at the Pony 27. The Sooners absorbed a 15-yard penalty but still located the goal in seven plays. The key was a 14-yard pass interference call by SMU’s Robert Popelka which put the ball on the one. Crosswhite hammered over for the touchdown. That made it 27-0.

And when OU dulled SMU’s strongest thrust on the next possession fans started filing out. They didn’t miss too much. OU added three points early in the fourth quarter when a 32-yard, nine-play sortie set up Carroll’s 45-yard field goal.

Longest play of the game was late in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma’s Dan Ruster fielded a Pony punt and suddenly darted straight ahead. Startling the defenders, he picked up 67 yards before being nailed by Raymond Mapps on the 16.

Subs by then had taken over for the Sooners. They lost three yards on three tries. Carroll trotted out for a 34-yard attempt buy the snap from center was high and Mildren bobbled it.

The Sooners can expect more resistance next Saturday when they play at Pittsburgh, which last week ambushed UCLA.

STATISTICS

SMU

First downs: 9
Rushing: 122
Passing Yards: 15
Total Yards: 137
Passes: 2-6
Interceptions: 0
Punts: 7-37
Fumbles Lost: 4
Penalties: 2-29

OKLAHOMA

First downs: 18
Rushing: 342
Passing Yards: 18
Passes: 2-8
Interceptions: 0
Punts: 2-46
Fumbles Lost: 2
Penalties: 7-83

SMU

RUSHING:
Maxson – 15/61
Howell – 9/38
Hammond – 22/17
Bobo – 3/6

PASSING:
Hammond – 2/6 for 15 yards

RECEIVING:
Scott – 1/15
Maxson – 1/-1

PUNTING:
McLardy – 7 for 37.4 avg.

OKLAHOMA

RUSHING:
Mildren – 25/109
Pruitt – 14/90
Wylie – 8/68
Crosswhite – 14/45
Marshall – 5/32
Bell – 1/3
Dodd – 1 / 2
Franklin – 1/-3
Robertson – 1/-4

PASSING:
Mildren – 2/7 for 18 yards
Robertson – 0/1

RECEIVING:
Harrison – 1/14
Pruitt – 1 / 4

PUNTING:
Wylie – 2 for 47.0 avg.

SCORING:
SMU – 0 0 0 0 - 0
OU – 3 17 7 3 – 30

FIRST QUARTER
11:48 OU – FG Carroll 33

SECOND QUARTER
13:33 OU – Pruitt 6 run (Carroll kick)
11:12 OU – FG Carroll 25
1:17 OU – Mildren 10 run (Carroll kick)

THIRD QUARTER
12:47 OU – Crosswhite 1 run (Carroll kick)
FOURTH QUARTER
6:32 OU – FG Carroll 45

Attendance – 48,500

Sooner04
6/24/2011, 02:44 PM
OU PLEASED? ‘YEAH…NO…WELL…’

By Volney Meece
Staff Writer

NORMAN – To be pleased or not to be pleased? That was the question facing Oklahoma’s Sooners as they post-mortemed Saturday’s 30-0 slaying of SMU.

Quarterback Jack Mildren was asked if he was satisfied with the offense.

“Oh….yeah….no….well…..,” he started off.

Then he said, “We got 30 points but we think we should’ve had 50. We fumbled on the five. I fumbled a snap on that field goal. The defense put us in great shape all day, no doubt about it. We should have had 50.”

Barry Switzer, coordinator of the offense declared, “Yeah, I am satisfied. When we win by one I’m satisfied.”

Switzer, who reported some backs had said the ball was like a bar of soap because of the drizzle and light rainfall, added, “I felt like we should have scored a couple of times in the first half. But our execution was a little off, the field was wet and SMU played good defense. All those things entered into this. But we didn’t look quick like we have on the dry field in practices. That was evident. But we’ll get that worked out.”

Halfback Joe Wylie, asked if he was satisfied with the attack, replied, “We probably could have done better toward the goal line but I thought we did real well the rest of the time.”

Of the wet Tartan turf, Wylie said, “You really can’t tell the difference too much. It’s got good traction.”

Halfbacking mate Greg Pruitt wasn’t in complete agreement. Recalling his early 39-yard run which ended on the SMU 21, Pruitt said, “I think I should have scored. But I had noticed SMU players were wearing rubber cleats and I tried to make a move so he (Pat Curry, who made the tackle) would lose his footing, but he didn’t.”

Was Pruitt satisfied with the offense? “Well,” he said, “I think we could have scored more than we did. But considering the weather, I think I was satisfied.” Pruitt inquired, “How cold was it?” Told 51, Greg said, “It’s gotta be colder than that. Usually, when you get going, you forget about the weather. But this stuck with you.”

What about the defense? Standout front defender Raymond Hamilton declared, “I felt the defense did real good. I think it’s the best game the defense has played since I’ve been here. The defense was exceptional today. We shut them out, they didn’t get hardly any running, we caused some fumbles with the wet ball….it was just a good game. I thought the defense did real good.”

Defensive coordinator Larry Lacewell, asked if this was his first shutout, said, “I can’t remember how long ago it has been since we had a shutout, but it’s the first one since I’ve been in charge of defense. I’d like to have a lot more of them.”

Was Lacewell satisfied with his defense? “Yeah,” he said. “I was real pleased to get to play so many people. I expect the older players to play well, but so did younger fellows like Lucious Selmon, Vic Kearney and Mike Struck. I was pleased to see these people play well in their first game. I expect Raymond Hamilton and Steve Aycock to play well. The weather helped us out too.”

One newcomer who was obviously pleased was lean John Carroll, who booted field goals of 33, 25 and 45 yards. Was he nervous? “Yeah,” he said. “Everybody was nervous.”

When somebody remarked he had received an opening game workout, John grinned, “You bet. But I couldn’t have done it without the line, the center and holder.”

Asked if he thought he would be called upon to kick that much in his varsity debut, Carroll said, “No, not really. But I changed my mind when it was raining and the field was all slick. But I didn’t think I’d get to kick that many.”

And coach Chuck Fairbanks. Was he satisfied with the overall performance? “I am very pleased with the victory. I thought our team played hard. They gave a lot of good effort. I was particularly pleased with the play of the defensive team, which gave us an unusual amount of scoring opportunities and good field position throughout the game.”

“Offensive execution for us and SMU today was very difficult, the ball being so wet and the footing bad. I am hopeful in the future if we get as many offensive opportunities as we did today we will be able to take advantage of them.”

Of Carroll, Fairbanks said, “He did a good job for his first kicking assignment. I was very pleased with him. All the moisture made it very difficult but he performed under pressure, which I had been concerned about in a young kicker.”

“Defensively, I never did feel we were in very much danger at any time in the ballgame. We got real fine play from Hamilton. Our secondary played well for us. Derland Moore made some good plays for us. The defensive team did one thing: we came up with quite a few good plays, and we were able to throw SMU for several long losses. And fumbles were a big part of the game. We talked to our people before the game and tried to impress upon them that under the conditions there might be quite a few fumbles and they should be alert for them.”

The fumbling and puny passing totals having reminded him of the difficulty of handling the ball, Fairbanks said, “Have you ever had your hands in dishwater? I don’t wash too many dishes, but out there today it was like when you’ve had your hands in water a lot: it gets smooth and that makes it difficult to throw the ball.”

Fairbanks resumed, “Offensively, our backfield played well. I happened to notice Albert Chandler throwing several good blocks. SMU gave us trouble with some stunts inside.

Then someone brought up for the upteenth time the question of how valuable the artificial turf was under Saturday’s weather conditions. Chuck said, “I guess if it’d been on grass it’d have been plenty bad today. I know it would’ve been a sea of mud.”

The next installment will be a trip to Pittsburgh and the realization that something special may be at hand.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 02:57 PM
Great posts so far. Are you going to do this everyday for a little while or what? Just asking because I already am enjoying them a lot. Thank you again.

Jacie
6/24/2011, 03:19 PM
I was still a year away from attending OU but did get to go to the '71 OU/* game and watch OUr guys school Darrel's whorns on how to run the wishbone . . . and defense the wishbone for that matter. It was greatness.

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 03:48 PM
OU didn't do all that well defending the tx WB; gave up 27 pts.

very surprising thing to note about SMU game. 51 degrees on sept 17.

later in the season, (my 1st year back from CA) SMU would brag about holding OU to ONLY 30 pts.

prrriiide
6/24/2011, 10:31 PM
By Volney Meece
Staff WriterWOW...now there's a name from the deepest, dustiest corner of my childhood memory...

younger fellows like Lucious SelmonDid anyone else have to shake cobwebs outta their head when they read that?

tulsaoilerfan
6/24/2011, 11:06 PM
Funny thing is i have that exact same book; i think it was published in 1980 and i somehow managed to hold onto it for 31 years now

SoonerPride
6/24/2011, 11:31 PM
Funny thing is i have that exact same book; i think it was published in 1980 and i somehow managed to hold onto it for 31 years now

I've got the same book too. I found it at a flea market about 10 years ago.
For awhile SoonerStats.com was selling them.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/25/2011, 12:44 AM
We got hosed so badly by the refs in the game against nebbish IN NORMAN, fergodssakes! Shoulda been NC's that yr, for sure.

Salt City Sooner
6/25/2011, 01:35 AM

Or you could've talked to an OU player (albeit not from that year) about the Buffs. CU's coach that year was a guy named Eddie Crowder (R.I.P).

Mississippi Sooner
6/25/2011, 08:57 AM
Two things jumped out at me about that SMU game recap. First, umbrellas in the stadium. Can you imagine the chaos if they still allowed that with so many people standing for most of the game?

The other thing was the attendance of 48,500. I realize the capacity was still only around 55,000 or so at that time, but it's still hard to imagine us being 7,000 below capacity for an opener these days.

StoopTroup
6/25/2011, 09:16 AM
I forget which OU Home Game it was but my Daughter was young enough that I was carrying her through the turnstiles and it was after 9-11-01 and about the time Joe Castiglione stopped allowing re-entry at half time unless you had another ticket.

The story goes like this.....

Someone from OU was going around handing out US Flags that you could hold and wave as the Game was being Nationally Televised and they wanted us all to show how patriotic we were I guess. Anyway the Daughter and I went through the turnstiles and were stopped by OHP and he said we would have to either remove the flag from the stick or throw the flag away. There was no way I was going to disrespect the flags and just throw them away so I took the flag lose from the stick and we went on our merry way.

Once I got in and sat down it hit me as to not only how stupid it was to make people do that but also how hypocritical it was and also a slap in the face.

You couldn't bring one or two of these in.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3zqObIZvPpk/SjFjEd54DbI/AAAAAAAAAGE/3BqnTGkTmdI/s200/American+flag+-+kids+waving+them.bmp

But....for 4 or 5 bucks....you could go to the concession stand and get a snack before you went on a killing rampage with your Corndog Sticks that were around 8 inches longer than the flag sticks. :D

http://www.oceanlight.com/photo/hot-dog-stick-del-mar-fair-20860.jpg

Jacie
6/25/2011, 09:25 AM
Two things jumped out at me about that SMU game recap. First, umbrellas in the stadium. Can you imagine the chaos if they still allowed that with so many people standing for most of the game?

The other thing was the attendance of 48,500. I realize the capacity was still only around 55,000 or so at that time, but it's still hard to imagine us being 7,000 below capacity for an opener these days.

I wish they had banned them much earlier. I had season tickets into the 90's and they were allowing umbrellas then. One season it seemed that it rained every home game and I was always wet (somewhat ironic since my row was just inside the overhang), not from the rain but runoff from the umbrella the people in front of me were using to keep themselves dry.

StoopTroup
6/25/2011, 09:52 AM
This is a very educational 30 minutes for those that choose to watch.
ClYFBtA8rvU

The 1973 OU Pitt Game was my first OU Home Game. That 1971 Game really reminds me of just how Pitt Fans thought they were gonna wipe the field with us. LMAO....

MyT Oklahoma
6/25/2011, 12:46 PM

We beat Colorado by a lot more than 3 points in 1971 (45 to 17).

Still.. that 1.. 2 and 3 finish in the final polls was (and still is) classic.

OU Adonis
6/25/2011, 01:58 PM
Wishbone was the best offense ever invented.

bigfatjerk
6/25/2011, 02:02 PM
Wishbone was the best offense ever invented.

I don't know, it has it's flaws like any offense. I don't think there's a perfect offense. The bone at it's worst fumble it about 6 times a game. At it's best it was 71. Offenses now that pass it more throw about 3-4 INTs at most and maybe fumble it once or twice. At it's best it's like OU 08.

BajaOklahoma
6/25/2011, 02:08 PM
I bought a couple of copies of the book a few years ago (eBay). Good reading.
Thanks for sharing.

picasso
6/25/2011, 02:09 PM
At it's best it's like OU 08.

You mean by not being able to run inside the 10 on a team with an athletic defense?;)

cleller
6/26/2011, 07:41 AM
Did I miss the name of this book everyone is talking about? Scrolled back, but don't notice it.

On another note, I ran across this book, which is to be released Sept 1, 2011. Kinda on the same topic:
http://www.amazon.com/Wishbone-Oklahoma-1959-1985-Wann-Smith/dp/0806142170/ref=sr_1_31?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309091935&sr=1-31

texaspokieokie
6/26/2011, 08:49 AM

we've been attending games since 87, i don't remember umbrells ever being allowed.

Jacie
6/26/2011, 11:16 AM
we've been attending games since 87, i don't remember umbrells ever being allowed.

Senility is a bitch . . .

texaspokieokie
6/26/2011, 11:28 AM
Senility is a bitch . . .

when were they dis-allowed ??? i don't think umbrellies were allowed in the 90s.

texaspokieokie
6/26/2011, 11:30 AM

well, what a (senile) dummy am i !!!!

he was talking about 71.

my (very) bad !!!

Jacie
6/26/2011, 11:38 AM
Maybe I was wet from drooling on myself . . .

BigTip
6/26/2011, 11:43 AM
. Final National rankings were Nebraska 1, OU 2, Colorado 3.

Remember the bumper sticker:

"1+2+3=Big 8"

Glory days.

NMSooner'80
6/26/2011, 10:59 PM
OU didn't do all that well defending the tx WB; gave up 27 pts.

very surprising thing to note about SMU game. 51 degrees on sept 17.

later in the season, (my 1st year back from CA) SMU would brag about holding OU to ONLY 30 pts.

I was in 8th grade then and was able to see that SMU game in person. I think the Ponies got a little bit of help from the rain, from what I recall.

In Ardmore, the local paper ran a syndicated predictions column from "Major Hoople" of comic book fame. The major picked OU to lose at Pitt in the second or third game, and that wound up 55-29 in our favor.

One other SMU memory - the popular youth minister at the Methodist church as a big SMU fan and made no bones about it. He was really down about that 30-0 loss and wouldn't let our youth group watch the OU playback at the church.

MiccoMacey
6/27/2011, 09:50 AM
I forget which OU Home Game it was but my Daughter was young enough that I was carrying her through the turnstiles and it was after 9-11-01 and about the time Joe Castiglione stopped allowing re-entry at half time unless you had another ticket.

The story goes like this.....

Someone from OU was going around handing out US Flags that you could hold and wave as the Game was being Nationally Televised and they wanted us all to show how patriotic we were I guess. Anyway the Daughter and I went through the turnstiles and were stopped by OHP and he said we would have to either remove the flag from the stick or throw the flag away. There was no way I was going to disrespect the flags and just throw them away so I took the flag lose from the stick and we went on our merry way.

Once I got in and sat down it hit me as to not only how stupid it was to make people do that but also how hypocritical it was and also a slap in the face.

You couldn't bring one or two of these in.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3zqObIZvPpk/SjFjEd54DbI/AAAAAAAAAGE/3BqnTGkTmdI/s200/American+flag+-+kids+waving+them.bmp

But....for 4 or 5 bucks....you could go to the concession stand and get a snack before you went on a killing rampage with your Corndog Sticks that were around 8 inches longer than the flag sticks. :D

http://www.oceanlight.com/photo/hot-dog-stick-del-mar-fair-20860.jpg

Happened to us at the K-State game right after 9/11.