PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Dallas food?

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/23/2011, 01:43 PM
When I moved here I was expecting amazing restaurants everywhere. I have found a few but does anyone live around here and know where to go for good BBQ or Italian?

KuppiKunta
6/23/2011, 01:54 PM
Texas is famous for BBQ and I have yet to eat good Cue down there.

*disclaimer* I have not been to Salt Lick

yankee
6/23/2011, 02:08 PM
There's a lot more to DFW than just Dallas. I know some good eyetalian and BBQ places in the burbs.

The Maestro
6/23/2011, 02:28 PM
BBQ. Go to Fort Worth by the stockyards. Right next to Billy Bob's is a great place...can't remember the name.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/23/2011, 02:28 PM
There's a lot more to DFW than just Dallas. I know some good eyetalian and BBQ places in the burbs.

Do tell

I meant DFW

The
6/23/2011, 02:29 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001515751/1822926714_jerry_seinfeld_21798_xlarge.jpeg

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/23/2011, 02:30 PM

I went to salt lick a few months ago. The wait was long and the food was maybe worth going back for

Cheez-It
6/23/2011, 02:30 PM
When I'm in Dallas Metro area...I don't recall my food consumption.

BU BEAR
6/23/2011, 02:36 PM
When I moved here I was expecting amazing restaurants everywhere. I have found a few but does anyone live around here and know where to go for good BBQ or Italian?

Try Maggiano's for Italian:

http://www.maggianos.com/EN/Willow-Bend_Plano_TX/Pages/LocationLanding.aspx

Maggiano's is a Brinker restaurant. So, it is a part of a chain; but the food is pretty good and the portions are generous. There are usually some really nice looking ladies there during the weekend dinner time.

Try Patrizzio's also.

For BBQ, find a Randy White BBQ location. His is good Q and you might even run into Randy while you are there.

caseysooner
6/23/2011, 02:37 PM
When I'm in Dallas Metro area...I don't recall my food consumption.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

The Maestro
6/23/2011, 02:37 PM
Coopers BBQ. Walk in and they raise this big pit and you start by picking your meat. Ribs, brisket, chicken, hot links, smoked sausage, etc. Then you have all the beans, sauce and bread you want. Sauce is great and the meat is really tender...all kinds.

The Maestro
6/23/2011, 02:39 PM
Also East Main BBQ in Euless. Go for lunch on a Saturday or Sunday. Buffett style. Unbelievably good.

yermom
6/23/2011, 02:40 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

i think it means she's a lush

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2011, 02:40 PM
hmm, BBQ - choices would be The Hard 8, Railhead....Rudy's

go to downtown Ft Worth and give Reata's a try - its not necessarily bbq but you'll love it regardless

SCOUT
6/23/2011, 02:47 PM
Reata is worth a trip to Fort Worth all on its own.

For BBQ, I vote for Rudy's, Cooper's and Spring Creek BBQ

Cheez-It
6/23/2011, 03:05 PM
i think it means she's a lush

Yes. I'm only in Dallas once a year... OU/texas weekend.

GrapevineSooner
6/23/2011, 03:15 PM
Biased simply because I know the owners of both places...

But try Armend's in Southlake or Vinny's in Trophy Club.

If it's not too out of the way that is.

OutlandTrophy
6/23/2011, 03:33 PM
There's a Chili's down there that is out of this world. Just off 635 I believe.

ouleaf
6/23/2011, 03:37 PM
Bone Daddy's for BBQ....okay, maybe you don't entirely go there just for the barbecue.

Can't limit it to just Dallas for the best BBQ, there are great places all over the metroplex. In Dallas though, Mac's is pretty good, Meshack's over in Garland is strong to quite strong, Sonny Bryan's will do in a pinch.

But there are other great places throughout DFW...Railhead, Smokey's, Angelo's and Cousin's in Ft. Worth are all really good. Bartley's in Grapevine has something good going too.

Turd_Ferguson
6/23/2011, 03:47 PM
There are some good ones on 635...

sooner59
6/23/2011, 04:03 PM
Maggiano's is pretty good for Italian like was previously said. I've had Bone Daddy's for BBQ. Not bad. Nice boobs. Think Hooters with MUCH better food and MUCH better looking women with LESS clothes. Spring Creek is ok, nothing to write home about, but decent.

BOOMERBRADLEY, if you want some down home cooking, go to Babe's Chicken Dinner House. There are several locations. Everything is family style and everything is good and plentiful. Ribs, chicken fried steak, fried chicken, ect. All the sides are family style and endless I believe. Good stuff.

You want good Mexican food? Try Desperado's on Jupiter. Get either the Desperado Tacos (their specialty) or the Chicken Itza. Don't forget the queso. Its all awesome.

Want good burgers? Try Jake's Hamburgers. Couple locations (one is in Addison I know). Really good. Great with fried pickles.

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2011, 04:13 PM
Babes does not serve ribs, but yes - a GREAT meal regardless

ouleaf
6/23/2011, 04:57 PM
Babes does not serve ribs, but yes - a GREAT meal regardless

I believe the one in Garland does serve Ribs, but I think that is the only one....I've only been to that one once. I'm usually at the Carrollton or the original out in Roanoke. Great place.

sooner59
6/23/2011, 05:13 PM
Babe's Garland Menu
Main Dishes
Fried Chicken
Chicken Fried Steak
Fried Chicken Tenders

Smoked Chicken
Pot Roast
Hickory Smoked Ribs

Vegetables & Breads
Mashed Potatoes
Cream Gravy
Green Beans
Green Salad
Grandma's Corn
Homemade Biscuits

Desserts
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Coconut Meringue Pie
Banana Pudding
Pineapple Upside-down Cake

Sorry, I have only been to the one in Garland. Been several times. I figured they were all the same. But yeah, they have them in Garland.

Partial Qualifier
6/23/2011, 05:23 PM
DId someone say Rudy's, like the chain named Rudy's? One of which is on HWY 9 & Chataqua?

Really?

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/23/2011, 05:28 PM
I have my Mexican place figured out. It's called Sol Irlandes in downtown Dallas. They have an amazing chili rilleno which is all I get. My fiancé loves Italian food so I am trying to find something for her. Thanks everyone for the BBQ recommendations though

MelloYello
6/23/2011, 06:22 PM
Memphis BBQ > Texas BBQ
Kansas City BBQ > Texas BBQ
North Carolina BBQ > Texas BBQ

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2011, 06:25 PM
Babe's Garland Menu
Main Dishes
Fried Chicken
Chicken Fried Steak
Fried Chicken Tenders

Smoked Chicken
Pot Roast
Hickory Smoked Ribs

Vegetables & Breads
Mashed Potatoes
Cream Gravy
Green Beans
Green Salad
Grandma's Corn
Homemade Biscuits

Desserts
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Coconut Meringue Pie
Banana Pudding
Pineapple Upside-down Cake

Sorry, I have only been to the one in Garland. Been several times. I figured they were all the same. But yeah, they have them in Garland.

well wow - nope, they dont have them in Carrollton, Roanoke, Granbury or Frisco - but i wish they did!

SCOUT
6/23/2011, 06:37 PM
well wow - nope, they dont have them in Carrollton, Roanoke, Granbury or Frisco - but i wish they did!

http://www.babeschicken.com/Babes-Chicken-Dinner-House-Frisco.html

87sooner
6/23/2011, 06:42 PM
Memphis BBQ > Texas BBQ
Kansas City BBQ > Texas BBQ
North Carolina BBQ > Texas BBQ

i've eaten bbq in san antonio.....dallas....kc.....oklahoma...florida... ..and i'm still looking for a good bbq restaurant...

jumperstop
6/23/2011, 06:46 PM
DId someone say Rudy's, like the chain named Rudy's? One of which is on HWY 9 & Chataqua?

Really?

Yes, Rudy's is awesome.

Turd_Ferguson
6/23/2011, 06:52 PM
I'm high.fixed

jumperstop
6/23/2011, 06:57 PM
fixed

Not at the moment....how can you not like Rudy's? Their sauce isn't the best sauce but the meat is some of the tastiest you can find. One of my favorites in the OKC area for getting BBQ.

MeMyself&Me
6/23/2011, 08:41 PM

When I'm in Dallas, I have to eat at Chuy's. It's a mexican restaurant small chain found throughout the DFW metro. There are others that carry the name but are not the same so be careful and google a location before you go. Somewhere along the line, I got the impression they were originally out of Austin but I've never come across one there. Even my English wife who doesn't quite 'get' mexican food loved Chuy's when I took her. Go during the week between 4-7 and they've got a free queso bar that's worth having. And go for the green chili sauce that has beef stock in it (can't remember what they call it).

For the most part, I don't like Texas BBQ. It's too vinegary for my taste. Coopers is a prime example. I prefer sweeter less vinegary sauces from KC. So when I go for BBQ down here, I look for places where sauce isn't necessary. My favorite isn't actually in Dallas as far as I know. It's called Hard Eights and there's a location in Stephenville (haven't been to that one) and a location in Brady (been to this one numerous times). The smoker is outside the front door and you pick out what you want right out of the smoker and how much you want before you walk in the door and pay for the meat by weight. This gives you a chance to see what's juicy enough that day to not want to touch any nasty sauce. :)

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/23/2011, 09:02 PM
I have been to Chuy's many times. I live in uptown and Chuy's is on McKinney Ave. I have been drunk there many times during queso time :)

Partial Qualifier
6/23/2011, 09:44 PM
Not at the moment....how can you not like Rudy's? Their sauce isn't the best sauce but the meat is some of the tastiest you can find. One of my favorites in the OKC area for getting BBQ.

Well their smoked meats are generic and lowest-common-denominator not unlike McDonald's Hamburgers, their "smoked sausage" is Regular Flavor Eskridge Farms Sausage warmed over on a grill, their portion sizes are lulz and overpriced, and their "hotlinks" aren't really hotlinks.

Try some other BBQ places! YWIA

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2011, 09:48 PM
chuys is my favorite

and i'm not sure why scout posted the menu to the Frisco Babes - they dont have ribs!

Partial Qualifier
6/23/2011, 09:49 PM
When I'm in Dallas, I have to eat at Chuy's.

And go for the green chili sauce that has beef stock in it (can't remember what they call it).

That Hatch green sauce? Yum. You're making me hungry, for srs

MeMyself&Me
6/23/2011, 10:14 PM
That Hatch green sauce? Yum. You're making me hungry, for srs

That's it! Thanks. Yes. Love Chuy's.

yankee
6/23/2011, 11:12 PM
BBQ- Feed Store BBQ in Southlake

Italian- Armend's (already mentioned) in Southlake, Cafe Italia in Colleyville/Grapevine

caseysooner
6/24/2011, 05:39 AM
Hard 8 bbq has some of the best ribs I've ever had. There are a couple in the suburbs. As far as food in Dallas, if you can't find good food then you are either picky or just blind.
Also a reg at Chuy's on Knox/Henderson.

King Barry's Back
6/24/2011, 07:06 AM
Try Maggiano's for Italian:

http://www.maggianos.com/EN/Willow-Bend_Plano_TX/Pages/LocationLanding.aspx

Maggiano's is a Brinker restaurant. So, it is a part of a chain; but the food is pretty good and the portions are generous. There are usually some really nice looking ladies there during the weekend dinner time.

Try Patrizzio's also.

For BBQ, find a Randy White BBQ location. His is good Q and you might even run into Randy while you are there.

I used to think Maggianos (at least the ones on the East Coast) were the bomb. Then I married an Italian and found out what all those dishes were really supposed to taste like.

Now I say, Maggiano's, not so much.

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2011, 07:22 AM
Maggiano's is "ok" if you've got a crowd of more than 4

Bucca Di Beppo is the same type place

cantwait48
6/24/2011, 09:26 AM
"Randy White"

the manster

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 09:29 AM
Sonny Bryan's is very good !!! especially the one one Inwood near Maple.

been there forever. i started working in that area 39 yrs ago, & i'm pretty sure it was already there.

GKeeper316
6/24/2011, 09:30 AM
beats me... i don't cross the red river. there's whorns down there.

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2011, 09:31 AM
i dont think i've ever heard Randy Whites place brought up in any serious discussion about good BBQ here in the metroplex - but i've never tried it either - so no clue

Sonny Bryans is pretty good - they have one downtown in the West end not too far from the office

OUMallen
6/24/2011, 09:32 AM

www.yelp.com is your friend. We use it religiously any time we travel and we're never steered wrong. If you want something good, don't settle for less than a 4-star rating on Yelp.

The Profit
6/24/2011, 09:39 AM
Hard 8 bbq has some of the best ribs I've ever had. There are a couple in the suburbs. As far as food in Dallas, if you can't find good food then you are either picky or just blind.

You are right...Hard 8 is better than any other barbecue I have eaten in either Dallas or the OKC area. Their turkey and chicken poppers are great. As far as Mexican is concerned, the gold standard in Dallas for the past 20 years has been Mia's on Lemon. You can't beat it.

The Maestro
6/24/2011, 10:36 AM
Another vote for Rudy's being the McDonald's of BBQ. And yes, if you want sweet meat, Coopers BBQ in Fort Worth is not for you. Me personally, if I want something sweet, I have dessert. Meat is not meant to be sweetened.

sooner59
6/24/2011, 12:33 PM
urbanspoon.com will give you some ideas as well.

jumperstop
6/24/2011, 12:37 PM
Another vote for Rudy's being the McDonald's of BBQ. And yes, if you want sweet meat, Coopers BBQ in Fort Worth is not for you. Me personally, if I want something sweet, I have dessert. Meat is not meant to be sweetened.

I like McDonald's too though....

caseysooner
6/24/2011, 12:38 PM
Another good Tex Mex place Uncle Julio's on Lemmon

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2011, 01:31 PM
Another good Tex Mex place Uncle Julio's on Lemmon

good choice - but we've had a few "bad" experiences there - so we frequent Chuys or Mi Cocina

SpankyNek
6/24/2011, 01:35 PM
Best Mexican in my life was in the FW stockyards next to a saddlery.

Chuys is pretty good though...that Elvis Fried Chicken is a treat on occasion.

mavsfan31
6/25/2011, 10:55 AM

I've heard this is great bbq, might have to try it out today.

MeMyself&Me
6/25/2011, 11:59 AM

It's not supposed to taste like vinegar either. Me personally, would rather not feel the need for sauce at all. But if I got to use sauce, I can't stand the vinegar based sauces because not matter how little I use, vinegar is all I taste.

Part of the reason I like Hard Eights so much is that I can see what meat is juicy at the time I order (at least how it's set up in Brady, never been to their other locations) so that I don't feel the need to moisten it with sauce. I actually have no idea what Hard Eights sauce tastes like.

texaspokieokie
6/29/2011, 03:30 PM
Just ate @ a new "Dickey's Barbecue" on Beltline in Irving.
Food was very good. they were a little slow, all new hands, just opened yesterday.
also, a free ice cream cone.

Chopped brisket was very good. same for baked beans & potato salad.

on east side of Beltline, just south of Northgate.

The Profit
6/29/2011, 03:32 PM
Just ate @ a new "Dickey's Barbecue" on Beltline in Irving.
Food was very good. they were a little slow, all new hands, just opened yesterday.
also, a free ice cream cone.

Chopped brisket was very good. same for baked beans & potato salad.

on east side of Beltline, just south of Northgate.

Isn't Dickey's what they have at DFW airport? If so, meh.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/29/2011, 05:14 PM
If you guys visit Dallas or live in Dallas do yourself a favor and go to Serious Pizza in Deep Ellum. I went there yesterday and WOW was it good

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2011, 05:23 PM
Dickeys????

Really?

Meh