PDA

View Full Version : John Blake is on a serious roll....

JLEW1818
6/23/2011, 09:30 AM
Gary Gibbs, Barry Switzer, Jackie Sherrill and Bill Callahan. All were head coaches -- key phrase here is "were" -- and Blake was an assistant coach under all four.

All of them are no longer involved in college football. Perhaps it's a stretch to put all the blame on Blake. Hey, maybe it's just a coincidence.

But North Carolina coach Butch Davis certainly should have taken Blake's track record into consideration before hiring him in 2007. Come to think of it, he did. Davis figured the reward was worth the risk and it's a gamble that might eventually cost Davis his job.

Blake has been characterized at every stop as an unbelievable recruiter, even touted by Carolina as the "nation's best recruiter." How Blake recruits those players is another matter, a matter that the NCAA has serious questions about. On Tuesday, North Carolina received its notice of allegations from the NCAA.

Blake accounts for one-third of the nine major violations.

Even though Davis somehow avoids being mentioned in the 42-page report, is he going to become the latest coach associated with Blake to leave the college ranks? Blake has been the human equivalent of Spike-80DF to head coaches' careers. He seeps deep into the program, gets under the foundation and then the head coach is done.

At North Carolina, the NCAA says that Blake provided "false and misleading information" not only to NCAA investigators, but also to the school regarding his relationship with late NFL agent Gary Wichard. Blake also failed to mention he received $31,500 from Wichard's firm, Pro Tect Management, from May 2007 to October 2009.

The first of those payments was for $10,000, according to the NCAA, and occurred less than six months after Blake was hired by Davis, who also lobbied for Blake to join the Dallas Cowboys' defensive staff in 1993.

"John brings a unique blend of college and pro experience to North Carolina," Davis said after Blake's hiring at UNC in December 2006. "He has experience as a Division I head coach and is known throughout the country as a terrific recruiter and teacher. I had the pleasure working with John when we were both assistants for the Cowboys, and his commitment to excellence both on and off the field is unmatched."

Commitment to excellence: isn't that the Oakland Raiders' catchphrase?

Ask Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman about that commitment. Blake accused Aikman of being a racist during the Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl championship season of 1995, but several of Aikman's black teammates dismissed Blake's claims.

"You have to remember 90 percent of the team is black," Cowboys defensive end Charles Haley said that season. "Therefore, if [Aikman's] going to yell at somebody, it's probably going to be a black guy making a mistake."

Blake, who was an All-Big Eight nose guard and then an assistant under Switzer at Oklahoma and Dallas, left the Cowboys before the Super Bowl was played. He returned to Oklahoma in December 1995 as the Sooners' coach.

Three years later, he was fired. He lost 22 of 34 games, but managed to set several all-time marks at Oklahoma: the worst winning percentage (35.2) by a head coach, the school's worst three-year stretch along with the school's only two eight-loss seasons.

Yet, during that time Blake brought in a ton of talent to Oklahoma. So much, in fact, that two years after his firing, the Sooners -- with Blake's recruits accounting for the majority of OU's starting lineup -- won the BCS national title.

After Blake's firing in November 1998, The Oklahoman reported "it was widely known" that Blake went to work in the agent business and Oklahoma officials privately were angry that Blake attempted to contact Sooners players in that role.

"Through the process, I sacrificed a whole lot and took a whole lot of negative things," Blake told The New York Times two years ago. "But if it's for one man to gain the glory, then I'll just accept it. That's fine with me."

Blake should receive his share of attention when the NCAA is finished.

Among the NCAA's allegations include that Blake "was employed and compensated by Pro Tect Management to influence football student-athletes to hire Wichard to represent them in marketing their athletic abilities and reputations."

Also, Blake failed to report $31,500 in income from Pro Tect Management and "lied that he was never employed by Pro Tect Management," even though he listed the company as his former employer on a credit report and he was listed on company documents as vice president of football operations.

The NCAA also claimed Blake and his attorney refused to provide requested documentation to North Carolina or the NCAA concerning a $45,000 deposit he received in 2007 the day after Christmas.

The day after Christmas? How ironic, since Blake is referred to by critics and message board enthusiasts as "Black Santa," for his alleged "giving" actions on the recruiting trail.

With Blake, the Tar Heels had two Top 10 recruiting classes. And all this time, I thought Carolina was a basketball school.

On Sept. 5, 2010, Blake resigned as UNC's associate head coach. Davis later admitted he was "sorry for trusting" Blake.

Yet Davis, 60, has known -- and trusted -- Blake, 51, for nearly 40 years. They first met during Blake's sophomore year of high school in Sand Springs, Okla., a suburb outside of Tulsa. Davis was Blake's biology teacher.

"He made such an impression on me that I still remember exactly where he sat in my class when he was 15 years old," Davis told the

Tulsa World

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootball/story/15259054/a-gamble-on-an-old-friend-could-cost-davis-his-job-at-unc

King Barry's Back
6/23/2011, 12:32 PM
JLEW,

I am in a serious hurry and only got through the first half of your post. So apologize for jumping in.

But you can't blame John Blake for Gary Gibbs being fired. Gibbs ran a pretty tight ship as far as we can tell, he just didn't win enough.

And I don't think you can blame Blake for Barry Switzer, either. Since Switzer was Blake's coach as a player, it's probably more likely that you should consider blaming Switzer for helping Blake grow into the cheating-type guy he seems to be.

Now that I think about it, Callahan and Sherrill were bottom-feeders long before they met John Blake.

Even so, it is remarkable that Blake was associated with the scandal-plagued later years of OU's Switzer regime, with Switzer's controversial years in Dallas, and with the very controversial regimes of Callahan and Sherrill.

That history alone, like you say, is enough to make me question the integrity of Butch Davis. Maybe Butch needs to go?

EatLeadCommie
6/23/2011, 12:42 PM
yeah I think the implication is that Switzer and Sherrill taught Boo how to cheat. Not sure why Gibbs is lumped into there, or even Callahan for that matter.

That article pissed me off when I read it earlier. Chalk another one up to the "Stoops won with Blake's players" crowd.

Also, I thought Blake was called Black Santa for some other reason, but I could be mistaken. I think it has just morphed into meaning that he cheats on the recruiting trail.

Partial Qualifier
6/23/2011, 12:49 PM
Yet, during that time Blake brought in a ton of talent to Oklahoma. So much, in fact, that two years after his firing, the Sooners -- with Blake's recruits accounting for the majority of OU's starting lineup -- won the BCS national title. :rolleyes:

Widescreen
6/23/2011, 12:54 PM
Most of the people who still continue the mantra that Stoops won the MNC with Blake's players never follow that to its logical conclusion: That Blake must have been one horrific coach to have had that kind of talent stockpiled and yet the team be that bad. And I would argue that that team wasn't particularly talented. Not a ton of those players went on to the NFL. However, they were hard-nosed, worked really hard, understood their roles perfectly and didn't get injured.

Partial Qualifier
6/23/2011, 12:57 PM
Most of the people who still continue the mantra that Stoops won the MNC with Blake's players never follow that to its logical conclusion: That Blake must have been one horrific coach to have had that kind of talent stockpiled and yet the team be that bad. And I would argue that that team wasn't particularly talented. Not a ton of those players went on to the NFL. However, they were hard-nosed, worked really hard, understood their roles perfectly and didn't get injured.

Yep, and if they want to talk "talent", specifically NFL-caliber talent... who was drafted in 1st 2 rounds off that team?

agoo758
6/23/2011, 05:32 PM
"Recruiting well" doesn't do you any good if you don't know where the hell to put anybody. Stoops had to make more position changes with "Blake's players" during his first two years than I could count.

SoonerofAlabama
6/23/2011, 05:43 PM
We don't recruit this guy with Blake as head coach:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9357/heupel.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/heupel.jpg/)

soonergirlNeugene
6/23/2011, 06:09 PM

Now there's a recruit that's still paying off. In terms of overall impact and value to the program, has anyone come close sense?

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 06:30 PM
If Blake didn't have an effect on those Coaches and can't be blamed for their downfall....then in the same ideal....he can't be given credit for Bob's 2000 MNC either. Of course I never gave him any credit other than he did recruit some talent. Did the talent he recruited make the difference? Of course not. The talent has inspired by a new Coach and a new Coaching Staff as well as completely changing the Offensive and Defensive Schemes.....they were part of a Team that was told they weren't good enough to go all the way. They had heart. They put it all on the line and ever since....we have come closer to winning multiple MNCs than anyone.

John obviously has a talent that has helped keep him in the game but with so much negativity beginning to follow him...that's the thing that will more than likely have him looking for work at the HS level before he's done.

Matter of fact....you'd think he would have headed toward that some time ago....

Breadburner
6/23/2011, 06:37 PM
Was Butch Davis from Tahlequah.....

Sooner Cal
6/23/2011, 07:00 PM
What a bunch of bunk. Aren't people taught how to think anymore. Most of these posts are trash. Blake has been consistent on one thing, looking out for John Blake. His actions at NC were to make money for John Blake. To suggest that he cheated for Switzer, Callahan, or Davis are unproven. What we do know is that he had a long relationship with agent and he was paid a lot of money by the agent.

While some may accuse Barry, Gibbs, Sherrill and Callahan of cheating, we do know that a school in our league has been found guilty of paying players who were on their team. That player was allowed to play because he made accusations against A&M and OU. I don't believe a word he said and I don't believe that Sherrill & Switzer did anything that Darryl Royal, Frank Broyles or Bear Bryant didn't do. They didn't need to. I don't believe that any of these 5 men were cheaters. On the other hand, what did OSU have to lose in the 80's. They don't need to today and I don't think that Gundy would tolerte it anymore than Bob would.

fadada1
6/23/2011, 08:49 PM
i've said it many a time - i returned to OU after a 4.5 year stint in the navy. most games after my return were spent sneaking a bottle of "something" into the game... along with many a friend.

i digress... i have a decent knowledge of the fundamentals of football, despite having never played organized football. HOWEVER, when a rather "tipsy" ex-squid, with a a decent buzz on, can identify (approx) 10-12 plays in a row by the OU offense, BEFORE IT HAPPENS... then surely a division 1 defensive coordinator from a visiting team (sober at that), can identify and signal the correct defense to stop said offensive play.

blake couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag, and never should've been allowed on the football offices at OU. i'm still pissed i had to watch blake's last 2 seasons after being away for 5 seasons. *******!!!

soonerinabilene
6/23/2011, 09:37 PM
Doug.Gottlieb had a five minute segment yesterday on his show making his point that John Blake is the worst college football coach of all time. I dont agree with credit card boy a whole lot, but he had me nodding my head yes listening to him.

jkjsooner
6/23/2011, 10:06 PM
The talent has inspired by a new Coach and a new Coaching Staff as well as completely changing the Offensive and Defensive Schemes.....

I love Mike Stoops as a coach but I think we would have done just fine with Rex Ryan. Ryan really turned our defense around while he was here, and it wasn't like the defense was setting the world on fire in '99 or even much of '00 (Orange Bowl excluded).

While the Stoops brothers are fantastic defensive coaches and put together one of the best defensive games in history and built some outstanding defenses, what turned our program around was on the offensive side of the ball and, as you stated, the mindset.

All that said, I'm sure Blake would have been dumb enough to get rid of Ryan. Heck, getting him might have been Blake's only good move but that was more of a copycat move anyway.

SoonerMom2
6/23/2011, 11:13 PM

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9357/heupel.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/heupel.jpg/)

We have that cover signed by Josh Heupel and JT Thatcher! Wouldn't part with that for anything and it sits in a special place on our bookshelf. They were signing autographs at Alerbertson's on the east side of Norman and my daughter and I went so I bought several copies of that issue for them to sign.

SoonerofAlabama
6/23/2011, 11:26 PM
We have the magazine somewhere still. Not signed, but awesome nontheless.

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 08:57 AM
Gibbs was a terrific DC, and as a HC, i'm (JMHO) sure he didn't cheat.

too bad he couldn't remain as DC for a long time.

OUstud
6/24/2011, 10:50 AM
Doug.Gottlieb had a five minute segment yesterday on his show making his point that John Blake is the worst college football coach of all time. I dont agree with credit card boy a whole lot, but he had me nodding my head yes listening to him.

Anyone have a link for this? I'd like to hear it.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/24/2011, 11:00 AM
Was Butch Davis from Tahlequah.....

Yep.

rekamrettuB
6/24/2011, 11:28 AM
Can someone fark a pic of John Blake on a roll?