PDA

View Full Version : The Panhandle

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2011, 10:21 PM
Are any of you people from the panhandle?

I've lived in virtually my entire life, and I've neither met norheard of anyone living in the panhandle. I can count on one hand the number of news stories originating from the panhandle.

If it weren't for wikipedia, Id swear the place was totally made up.

sappstuf
6/22/2011, 10:29 PM
My little brother's name is Kenton after the town... Several relatives that are buried up there.

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2011, 10:32 PM
My little brother's name is Kenton after the town... Several relatives that are buried up there.

So in other words, nobody alive lives up there.

65Mustang
6/22/2011, 10:37 PM
There are some places that you are sure that you can't get there from here,

to paraphrase Lt. Dan,

Goodwell, now theres a fine town...

sappstuf
6/22/2011, 10:42 PM
So in other words, nobody alive lives up there.

Don't hate.. You haven't lived until you have climbed around on The Wedding Party and seen the Old Maid....

Jestermonkey
6/22/2011, 11:52 PM
I once met a girl who said she was from Slapout. She was pretty wild. Later though - I found out there are only, like, 3 people that live in Slapout. So - I kind of have to doubt the validity of her claim . . .

cantwait48
6/23/2011, 12:02 AM
Not from there but I went there once and enjoyed the solitude of it, camped on Lake Carl Etling and froze my butt off in march one year, I ordered a real sleeping bag shortly after that trip. I mostly recall getting up in the middle of the night and making coffee and starting the pickup to warm up. I did somehow manage to catch a bass out of the lake and we hiked to the highest point in Oklahoma and were pestered by some ornery horse that lived inside of a fence you had to cross to get there.

SicEmBaylor
6/23/2011, 12:07 AM
Not from there but I went there once and enjoyed the solitude of it, camped on Lake Carl Etling and froze my butt off in march one year, I ordered a real sleeping bag shortly after that trip. I mostly recall getting up in the middle of the night and making coffee and starting the pickup to warm up. I did somehow manage to catch a bass out of the lake and we hiked to the highest point in Oklahoma and were pestered by some ornery horse that lived inside of a fence you had to cross to get there.

Holy **** dude, you had.me at ornery horse. Where do I sign.up for this.dream vacation? ;)

delhalew
6/23/2011, 12:13 AM
I drove through once. It exists. I saw a person too.

SunnySooner
6/23/2011, 07:19 AM
SicEm, Mr. SS is from the Panhandle, and we still have tootloads of family out there, so now you have one degree of separation to that mythical place. We were just there this last Thanksgiving, actually.

He's from a little town between Hooker and Beaver-- home of Hooker Hardware and Beaver Cleaners, respectively. The cleaners are down the street from the 40 ft. tall fiberglass beaver holding the cowchip (Beaver is the cow-chip tossing capital of the world).

Some things you just seriously cannot make up. :D :D :D

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2011, 07:24 AM
my ex-wife's family is from the Hooker/Beaver area - she was born in Perryton but i think thats only because its where the hospital is/was

a lot of flat land out there

OutlandTrophy
6/23/2011, 07:26 AM
I know a guy that lives in Kenton, he might still own the store there. I know two people from Turpin.

sappstuf
6/23/2011, 07:49 AM
I know a guy that lives in Kenton, he might still own the store there. I know two people from Turpin.

Good burgers at the Merc...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3355/3281247753_12edd1b62f.jpg

MsProudSooner
6/23/2011, 07:50 AM
I lived in Guymon for a year when I was a baby - but I don't remember it.

tcrb
6/23/2011, 07:51 AM
I grew up in Woodward. In my youth, we drove through the panhandle almost every year on our way to Colorado. There are a number of small towns out there and three that are a little larger.... Beaver, Guymon, Boise City. But it's mostly just isolated flat prairie and wheat fields. I'd venture to guess that the jackrabbit population is greater than the human population. But it's not near as isolated as it is a little further west in NW New Mexico.

KantoSooner
6/23/2011, 08:17 AM
I've got a friend from Guymon and a neighbor from Woodward...but they don't live there now.

tcrb
6/23/2011, 08:20 AM
I've got a friend from Guymon and a neighbor from Woodward...but they don't live there now.

They are both good towns to be from.

Jammin'
6/23/2011, 08:22 AM
I've got several college friends/roommates from the G spot. used to be some good football out that way. One buddy suited up for OU.

1890MilesToNorman
6/23/2011, 08:35 AM
My brother was good friends with a couple of brothers in the panhandle when we were young, I believe their name was Wheeler? They died in a plane crash back in the early 80's if I remember right, maybe late 70's?

OutlandTrophy
6/23/2011, 08:35 AM
Good burgers at the Merc...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3355/3281247753_12edd1b62f.jpg

Do you know Alan? He's a mess.