PDA

View Full Version : question for the home theater geeks

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 07:42 PM
Recently got a new system installed here at the house. LG Infinia 55" LED-LCD (240 hz) running to a Marantz SR5005 receiver. Since the install I have noticed that the audio is ever so slightly ahead of the video on some channels. The video is maybe a half a second behind, perhaps even less. It's certainly not a big deal but it is just enough to be a little annoying. It only happens some of the time, and only on certain channels. I have noticed it a LOT while watching HBO. I also noticed it when I was watching the US Open golf and also when watching a MLB game on Fox SW. You could hear the golf club hitting the ball just before it happened on screen, the bat hitting the ball just before on screen, etc.

I know that this receiver has the option of setting a delay, but as I said this doesn't happen all the time. If I set a delay then some channels the video will be AHEAD of the audio.

I don't know much about this stuff but it seems like perhaps it is happening while watching programming that is broadcast in the very highest definition? For example premium cable channels and sporting events. Or, that could have nothing to do with it. Just a guess.

Anyone have any info/advice/suggestions? TIA

Edit: forgot to mention that I am using a Cox DVR.

SpankyNek
6/22/2011, 07:48 PM
How are you connected (Does your receiver support HDMI)?

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 07:48 PM
I have no idea why only some channels have the delay...

Does your LCD have sound? If so, does it also have the delay?

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 07:51 PM
How are you connected (Does your receiver support HDMI)?

Yeh it's connected via HDMI. Cable box to receiver via HDMI.

I honestly haven't even tried the audio directly from the TV to see if it happens that way too, I'll check.

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 07:56 PM
Okay so nevermind somehow they disabled the audio directly from the TV so I can't test that.

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 07:59 PM
If the sound is still out of sync out of the LCD try unplugging the cable box and let it reload...

If the sound is fine out of the tv I have no idea....

SpankyNek
6/22/2011, 08:04 PM
On your remote:
hit menu
select audio
select tv speaker
toggle to on

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 08:11 PM
I have mine set to a 1 frame delay, it works for most programs. My receiver has an auto correct but it is not compatible with my TV.

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 08:16 PM
I am watching Batman Begins on AMC HD right now and it's perfectly in sync. I flip it over to the movie on The Movie Channel and I've got the delay. I don't get it.

SpankyNek
6/22/2011, 08:21 PM
Is TMC HD, or are you upconverting a 480 signal?

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 08:23 PM
TMC is HD. It's a premium cable channel.

SpankyNek
6/22/2011, 08:25 PM
Definitely sounds like a cable box issue to me....like Phil said, I would reboot the box, and if that doesn't work, swap the box for a new one.

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 08:34 PM
I am watching Batman Begins on AMC HD right now and it's perfectly in sync. I flip it over to the movie on The Movie Channel and I've got the delay. I don't get it.

Its different on different channels. If both devices support the auto delay use it. It is sometimes called lip sync function. My Pioneer receiver has it my 55" Samsung doesn't.

Wait till you watch a news program with someone live via sat. Sometimes its waaay off.

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys I probably need to just go get a new cable box. The bad thing is I just got one. Sometimes when I switch to the bluray and then back to the cable box I get "no input" on the TV. I have to switch back to bluray and then back to cable again and it will work. My installer says this is an "HDMI synching issue" and that I should get a new cable box.

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 08:36 PM
I'm running a 6 ft HDMI which makes it worse than running a shorter cable.

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys I probably need to just go get a new cable box. The bad thing is I just got one. Sometimes when I switch to the bluray and then back to the cable box I get "no input" on the TV. I have to switch back to bluray and then back to cable again and it will work. My installer says this is an "HDMI synching issue" and that I should get a new cable box.

heh, I've gone through at least 4-5 boxes. They even had two cox technicians at my house because "they have never heard of that before" I'm not sure cox has the whole HD thing completely figured out.

Good luck and congrats on your new system. I love mine.

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah we love it so far. We got an RTI universal RF remote and I'm like how did I ever live without one of these before??