PDA

View Full Version : UNC Failure to Monitor

3rdgensooner
6/22/2011, 10:50 AM
UNC Releases Notice of Allegations, Hit with Failure to Monitor (http://www.carolinamarch.com/2011/6/22/2236731/unc-releases-notice-of-allegations-hit-with-failure-to-monitor)

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1471584/57581_Butch_Davis.jpg

North Carolina head coach Butch Davis walks
on the sideline in an NCAA college football game
against Miami during the second half in Miami,
Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010.

Sometime while I was in the air this evening, UNC posted the full notice of allegations (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/unc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/NCAA_NOA_062111-1.pdf) on the athletic department website, and it's exactly as brutal as you'd expect. It runs 42 pages, but don't let that number scare you; most of it is repeated legal boiler plate. The University, John Blake, and Jennifer Wiley are all told how and to whom to respond to the allegations (responses should be comb-style binded, so some folks will be hitting up Kinko's). Of the nine allegations, four are self-reported by the university, three dealing with the academic tutoring side of things, and the fourth an exhausting accounting of benefits received by various players. The other five concern Marvin Austin (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5234/marvin-austin) lying to NCAA investigators, John Blake's affiliation with Gary Wilchard and his lying to investigators, and the summary verdict that UNC "failed to adequately monitor the conduct and administration of the football program." This notably is not a charge of lack of institutional control, a ray of hope in an otherwise gloomy report.

Breaking down the allegations, one by one:

The first concerns a tutor – whose name is redacted and thus we must assume is not Jennifer Wiley, whose name is everywhere on the report – writing small portions of assignments for two unnamed football players. The critical thing here is that this took place in the 2008-09 academic year and following summer, and these two players were thus ineligible when they competed in the 2008 and 2009 and 2009 and 2010 football seasons, respectively. This could void the last three years of games.

The second and third concern Jennifer Wiley. It is alleged that during the 2009-2010 academic year, after she was no longer affiliated with UNC's academic support, she provided 142 hours of free tutoring to nine football players. This comes to $1,562 worth of illicit benefits, but that's not the critical part. She also bought a player a $150 airline ticket in May of 2010, and most damningly paid $1,789 worth of parking tickets on August 20, 2010 to the same athlete, after the NCAA had started investigating on campus. It's worth noting that less than a week after the tickets were paid, the announcement was made (http://www.carolinamarch.com/2010/8/26/1653057/nine-unc-starters-possibly-demoted) that UNC was investigating academic improprieties on campus. This parking ticket payment is likely what led them to that. That all falls under the second violation, with the third dealing with Wiley stonewalling the university when they investigated things.

The fourth violation is the sum total of $27,097.38 in benefits provided to seven football players over two years. The number makes it somewhat scarier than it actually is, but there's still a lot there. Here are the folks involved:
Gary Wichard, now-deceased NFL agent and John Blake crony, who gave $5,082.37 to a player, presumably Marvin Austin. This all occurred in 2009, leaving open the opportunity that Austin never played after receiving this benefit.
Todd Stewart, an agent with Pro Sports Financial. He gave $5,509.70 to the same player (Austin), $1,652 to a second player I assume is Robert Quinn (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/37165/robert-quinn), and $54.50 to a third player. A chunk of this was probably meals, given the small dollar value increments, and with one exception all took place in 2010, thus not jeopardizing any eligibility.
A.J. Mosciato, a jeweler, who provided $5,000 worth of benefits to a player in 2010. If I recall earlier news reports, this was Greg Little (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5233/greg-little).
Willie [last name unknown] – that's how he's listed in the allegation – a guy who provided $326 to the player I'm assuming is Little in 2010.
Michael Katz, an agent with Rosenhaus Sports, who provided $199 to the same athlete in 2010, as well as the player I'm assuming is Robert Quinn.
Kentwan Balmer (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5321/kentwan-balmer), who provided $2,000 to Marvin Austin while he was out in California, presumably as transportation and lodging while he worked out there in 2010.
Hakeem Nicks (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5319/hakeem-nicks), who provided $3,189.20 to (probably) Robert Quinn for (probably) transportation and lodging.
Omar Brown, who provided $1,356.54 to one athlete and $479.75 to another in 2009 and 2010. From media reports these were Deunta Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5257/deunta-williams) and Kendric Burney (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5243/kendric-burney).
Chris Hawkins, who through around money to Williams and Burney, as well as $70 to a third player. He, unlike the other former Carolina players, triggers NCAA agent legislation. He also distributed this money "over several years."
Mahlon Carey, another former football player, who spent small amounts around two players.The fifth allegation deals with Marvin Austin's lying to investigators. He basically told them that a former UNC player (Balmer?) paid for his flights and lodging on three separate trips. In fact, they were paid for by an agent (Wilchard?) and Austin was aware of that.

The sixth, seventh, and eighth allegations are the John Blake train wreck. Notable here is that Nebraska player Ndamukong Suh (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/8289/ndamukong-suh)'s name pops up, as there is testimony that Blake had contact with him during the period he was choosing an agent. Also, Blake was the recipient of $31,000 in wire transfers from Wilchard's agency as well as a mystery $45,000 deposit. He did not report this; nor did he turn over his tax records when the NCAA asked.

The final allegation is the overall conclusion, that UNC failed to monitor, among other things, Chris Hawkins' use of UNC facilities and social networking activity (Austin's Twitter feed, basically). They also, and this could be where things get dicey, investigate preferential treatment when reported by one of the players receiving said treatment, sometime in 2009 and 2010. That little bit at the end doesn't look good, and could spell the difference between a postseason ban or not.

UNC now has until mid-September to get their spiral-bound response in to the NCAA, who will take up the issue at their October 28th meeting. Most likely, a punishment will come down in January. Other than that, don't expect much to happen. Despite the immediate outcry, Butch Davis won't be fired any time soon, in part because UNCs defense hangs on him being unaware of Blake's activities and having not having reason to suspect otherwise. To fire Davis would imply he did know what was going on, and make things all the worse for Carolina. There's nothing to do now but wait.

XingTheRubicon
6/22/2011, 11:40 AM
I hope their next coach wins the 2012 NC.

soonerchk
6/22/2011, 11:44 AM
But John Blake loves those kids and builds national championship teams! Just ask him!

soonerchk
6/22/2011, 11:44 AM
I hope their next coach wins the 2012 NC.

I'd rather see us win it.

badger
6/22/2011, 12:28 PM
Altogether now -- whose fault is it that OU sucked in the 90s?

http://frathousesports.com/wp-content/uploads/John-Blake-Oklahoma-Coach.jpg

BOOOOOO!

And whose fault is it that Bill Callahan was so incompetent at Nebraska?

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics5/640/WM/WMQKSVIWUUPWABS.20060812151834.JPG

BOOOOOOO!

And whose fault is it that UNC fails to monitor?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/TKXzhY8g-3I/AAAAAAAAkXU/39eQSLxnxoA/s1600/Blake.jpg

BOOOOO!

Whose fault?

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/586838/45716_michigan_st_florida_atlantic_football.jpg

HOWARD'S FAULT!

What??? Try again.

http://www.allanstanglin.com/wp-content/uploads/johnblake.jpg

BOOOOOO!

;)

Bourbon St Sooner
6/22/2011, 12:30 PM
There was some suckin' going on before Blake got there. But he took it to a-hole new level.

badger
6/22/2011, 12:35 PM
a-hole new level.

A-hole is a new level? ;)

Joking aside, it seems like Boo Blake is almost a scapegoat whenever a program falls on hard times. I almost feel bad for the guy. I hope his career isn't over. Perhaps he can take the Kelvin route and go back to the pro level where there's no NCAA crap to worry about.

soonerchk
6/22/2011, 12:59 PM
A-hole is a new level? ;)

Joking aside, it seems like Boo Blake is almost a scapegoat whenever a program falls on hard times. I almost feel bad for the guy. I hope his career isn't over. Perhaps he can take the Kelvin route and go back to the pro level where there's no NCAA crap to worry about.

My problem with him is that he's tried to take all the credit for our 2000 Championship. Yes, he got some players on campus, but he obviously had no clue what to do with them or he would have won enough games to stay.

badger
6/22/2011, 01:16 PM
My problem with him is that he's tried to take all the credit for our 2000 Championship. Yes, he got some players on campus, but he obviously had no clue what to do with them or he would have won enough games to stay.

No, no, no... he's said that all he needed was another year, and thus, we would have had the 1999 National Championship!

“I really felt that we had the recruiting class and young talent to turn the program around,” Blake said. “I just needed another year.”

“We weren’t even a couple of years away,” Blake said.

So there you have it --- under Blake, we get the 1999 championship. Under Stoops, we had to wait until 2000. Granted, "1999" sounds like it's a long time ago compared with "2000," so perhaps that's a better year for the letterhead we send recruits.

But really... did you really want to wait an extra year for that title? ;)

stoopified
6/22/2011, 01:19 PM
My problem with him is that he's tried to take all the credit for our 2000 Championship. Yes, he got some players on campus, but he obviously had no clue what to do with them or he would have won enough games to stay.Sing it brother!

soonerchk
6/22/2011, 01:27 PM
No, no, no... he's said that all he needed was another year, and thus, we would have had the 1999 National Championship!

So there you have it --- under Blake, we get the 1999 championship. Under Stoops, we had to wait until 2000. Granted, "1999" sounds like it's a long time ago compared with "2000," so perhaps that's a better year for the letterhead we send recruits.

But really... did you really want to wait an extra year for that title? ;)

NO DAMMIT!!! WANT ALL TITLES NOW!!!

Sing it brother!

Or sister...

badger
6/22/2011, 01:54 PM
NO DAMMIT!!! WANT ALL TITLES NOW!!!

Exactly.... to any old farts reading that are thinking we are the entitled generation, remember that you were probably screaming the same thing and Bud (or Barry, if you're a younger old fart)

NormanPride
6/22/2011, 02:22 PM
Blake had about 1% to do with our championship in 2000.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2011, 02:26 PM
You lie!! Could you imagine how much better that 2000 team would have been with Savage playing QB, Thatcher, Littrell, TRRW running the wishbone!!! Jeremy Wilson-Guest would have made a hell of a great left tackle too!!

3rdgensooner
6/22/2011, 02:33 PM
Boo recruited Jeff Ferguson. So, yeah, there's that.

Soonerson1975
6/22/2011, 02:40 PM

I'd love to see a video of Blake in the Ferguson living room trying to persuade him to come to OU.

soonerchk
6/22/2011, 02:47 PM
You lie!! Could you imagine how much better that 2000 team would have been with Savage playing QB, Thatcher, Littrell, TRRW running the wishbone!!! Jeremy Wilson-Guest would have made a hell of a great left tackle too!!

SHOCKING that he didn't win more games!!!!

I thought it was Blake Ferguson??

3rdgensooner
6/22/2011, 02:57 PM
Hell I don't know. I was going for funny, not accurate.

badger
6/22/2011, 03:07 PM

Jeff changed his name to Blake to honor the coach that recruiting more than half the starters of the 2000 national championship team. Has that been repeated often enough? No? OK, Blake, one more time!

Blake: I recruited more than half the starters of the 2000 national championship team!

:D Silly NCAA --- they didn't catch on to our gooner cheatin' ways and Ferguson was able to start over as a froshie punter for us with all his eligibility and everything :D

soonerchk
6/22/2011, 03:27 PM
Hell I don't know. I was going for funny, not accurate.

I was going for dismissive. At least one of us failed.

prrriiide
6/22/2011, 10:02 PM
I almost feel bad for the guy. I hope his career isn't over. Perhaps he can take the Kelvin route and go back to the pro level where there's no NCAA crap to worry about.

F**K John "Dooshbag-in-chief" Blake. He burned the recruiting files like a petulant teen-ager when he lost his job FOR BLATANT INCOMPETENCE. He couldn't coach a constipated turd out of his substantial arse. I hope his career is over. The fact that he graduated from my beloved alma mater is a stain on our reputation. He has tainted every NCAA-level job he has had with either incompetence, absence of integrity, or both. Good riddance to bad trash, I say.

Big D Sooner
6/22/2011, 10:06 PM
Him burning the "recruiting files" probably saved OU from more probation. He was obviously doing some under the table stuff so I'm sure recruit profiles is not all he burned.

Big D Sooner
6/22/2011, 10:07 PM
To be clear, he is still a ******.

Chuck Bao
6/22/2011, 11:15 PM
Okay, I have a question about the Jennifer Wiley allegation.

First of all, is she hawt?

Second, ignoring the fact that she used to work in academic support, what if she is sweet on one of the guys now who just happens to be a football player? What if she paid for his airline ticket to meet her folks? What if she just helps the stud study before going on to something else? Or, does the NCAA frown on that sort of stuff too? I mean girlfriends.

agoo758
6/23/2011, 12:16 AM
I honestly feel bad for the UNC football program. Davis has them going in the right direction only for that Boo-jerk to set them back to square one. If he had any decency he'd never show his face near a football field again. Hate is a strong word, but considering how many programs he has destroyed, whether from just plain incompetence or through acts purposefully jeopardizing the football team, I hate John Blake

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/23/2011, 04:14 AM
I'd love to see a video of Blake in the Ferguson living room trying to persuade him to come to OU.

Probably told him, he might be starting QB in a couple of years...and the way Blake was going there was a good chance eventually everyone would have played QB...

soonerchk
6/23/2011, 10:18 AM
Probably told him, he might be starting QB in a couple of years...and the way Blake was going there was a good chance eventually everyone would have played QB...

Blake Ferguson did have a 100% completion rate against Bama, so why not?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/23/2011, 10:45 AM
The sixth, seventh, and eighth allegations are the John Blake train wreck. Notable here is that Nebraska player Ndamukong Suh (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/8289/ndamukong-suh)'s name pops up, as there is testimony that Blake had contact with him during the period he was choosing an agent. Also, Blake was the recipient of $31,000 in wire transfers from Wilchard's agency as well as a mystery $45,000 deposit. He did not report this; nor did he turn over his tax records when the NCAA asked.

So could the Bugeaters go down if Suh is ineligible?

Is Blake guilty of tax evasion and doesn't want to put his info out there???

TheHumanAlphabet
6/23/2011, 10:46 AM
I hope his career isn't over. Perhaps he can take the Kelvin route and go back to the pro level where there's no NCAA crap to worry about.

I don't think he is a better coach in the Pros. Prolly why Barry wanted him to OU, so as to protect him from being fired...

badger
6/23/2011, 10:58 AM
So could the Bugeaters go down if Suh is inelegible?

Is Blake guilty of tax evasion and doesn't want to put his info out there???

It might not be tax evasion - just NCAA evasion. Perhaps he reported the amounts on his taxes to the government, then didn't turn his tax records over to the NCAA for that reason, so that there'd be no documents saying he got money from an agency?

Could the Bugeaters go down? Go down from what. Like the Brett Romar situation, there wasn't much to expunge from the record books.

It would probably be a much bigger deal if Suh won the Heisman (as he should have after pwning Colt McCoy and the whorn o-line, even after they tried to sweep his leg in the first quarter). As it is now, Nebraska got what from Suh?

2005: Medical redshirt

2006: Nebraska loses to us in the Big 12 title game (and loses to Auburn in the Cotton Bowl)

2007: Nebraska sucks to the tune of a 5-7 season. The head coach and athletic director are fired.

2008: Nebraska falls to Mizzou, meaning no Big 12 title game... but they did beat Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

2009: Suh's final season, where he claims the Bronco, Outland, Bednarik, Bill Willis, and Lombardi awards. Nebrasky goes 10-4 including a Holiday Bowl shutout versus Mikey's Zona, but they lose the Big 12 title game in the final second to their owner and operator, Texas. :mack:

So... Nebraska would give up two bowl wins, two Big 12 North divisional titles, and a few Callyburger seasons :D