PDA

View Full Version : Cameron U guarantees their grads...

pphilfran
6/21/2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.cameron.edu/guarantee

"The Cameron University Guarantee" is believed to be the first program of its kind offered by a public university in Oklahoma and one of the first in the nation."

Cameron University remains committed to ensuring that only competent graduates enter the workforce. In fact, we guarantee it. Upon employment, should any graduate have deficiencies in core employment areas in his or her major field of study, Cameron University will provide additional education at no expense to the graduate or the employer.

The guarantee is possible because of the proven quality and demonstrated committment of Cameron faculty and staff. In the 2011 Higher Learning Commission comprehensive review of Cameron University, the Commission noted that Cameron is a "role model institution in its integration of planning, budgeting, assessment, and institutional accountability." Further, the Commission stated that Cameron University has "student learning at the center of what it does and despite significant statewide budget cuts, the institution was able to redesign itself to meet changing student needs."

Cameron is proud of its graduates and confident in their skills and competence. This guarantee is an assurance of that confidence. In addition, Cameron is committed to transparency to the public. Please refer to the section entitled "Transparency" on the right of this site for access to review the university's budget and retention and graduation rates. In addition, no later than January 2012, the curriculum vitae for all Cameron faculty as well as course descriptions with learning outcomes for all CU courses will be available for search and review.

The student must have graduated from Cameron University in Spring 2012 or later.
The student must have completed all of his or her course work at Cameron University and graduated with a baccalaureate degree within five years of his/her initial enrollment.
The graduate must be employed in the state of Oklahoma.
The identified deficiency area(s) must be in the graduate’s major field of study and be confined to entry-level competencies expected of a new college graduate.
The employer must identify and report the deficiency area(s) to the Cameron University Office of Career Services within the first six months of the graduate’s initial employment.

Honoring "The Cameron University Guarantee"

Upon receiving notification of a deficiency, Cameron University faculty will develop an individualized plan to remediate the deficiency area(s). The plan will include the required learning outcomes and will be implemented and completed within one year.
Assistance may be provided to the graduate through distance learning technology or other arrangements mutually agreed upon by the university, the graduate and the employer.
It is understood that any required remediation is a three-way partnership among the graduate, Cameron University, and the employer and that all must operate in good faith to remediate any deficiency.

reevie
6/21/2011, 09:25 PM
That'll be easy to do since the spring graduating classes have about 25 kids in them.

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 09:53 PM
I thought they were going to guarantee to actually teach you....now that would be something new

King Crimson
6/21/2011, 10:15 PM
i can't speak to Cameron, but it IS interesting to teach material to people who have no previous knowledge of it...but, still somehow know all of it already.

and have a cutting perspective on why learning or reading a book is BS and a waste of time...unless it conforms to what they already believe.

OUmillenium
6/21/2011, 10:30 PM
I took Chem I, Chem II, Physics I, Trig, and a few other courses at Cameron and had wonderful instructors in the early 90s.

King Crimson
6/21/2011, 10:41 PM
I took Chem I, Chem II, Physics I, Trig, and a few other courses at Cameron and had wonderful instructors in the early 90s.

i'm sure that's true. and i applaud those people. but when "knowledge" or "learning" become justified by their ability to be commodified we are through the looking glass.

it's a consumer model, not and educational one.

jk the sooner fan
6/22/2011, 07:02 AM
I got my first 60 hours of credits at Cameron when I was stationed at Ft Sill in the late 80's - at the time, i thought highly of the place for what they were doing - not sure how it is now - but I doubt its changed much

Viking Kitten
6/22/2011, 07:58 AM
The student must have completed all of his or her course work at Cameron University and graduated with a baccalaureate degree within five years of his/her initial enrollment.

How many people actually accomplish this, especially those who (like me) had to work full time while in college? Seems like that requirement would render a lot of students ineligible for this program.

Lawton4Life
6/22/2011, 08:23 AM
In High School, we referred to it as UCLA:

University of Cameron, Lawton Area

I cant really speak to the quality of the education, I just watched HS Football games there in the 90s, but I always felt sad for my friends who ended up going there instead of to a big school...it's the ultimate safety school for Lawton kids for sure.

Lawton4Life
6/22/2011, 08:26 AM
That probably sounds pompus, and I dont hate on any one with a degree from Cameron. A degree is a degree and I support all higher education...I should note that in 1996 getting into OU was not hard...if you were an instate resident I think you just had to get a 21 on the ACT.

I got much higher than that and got a great scholarship...but more so, I got out of Lawton and got to experience the FULL College life..I think you miss a lot staying home and just driving over to Cameron.

3rdgensooner
6/22/2011, 08:31 AM
This reminded me of an article I saw recently:

America’s Ten Worst Colleges For Your Money (http://privatestudentloan.org/americas-ten-worst-colleges-for-your-money-and-three-best/)

#8) Cameron University
Cameron, a school in Oklahoma, doesn’t do well by its fellow Okies: in-state costs about $72,760, only a 5.7% return. Just for contrast, the University of Oklahoma will run you $87,530…and nearly double your return, at 10.7%. Not from Oklahoma? Expect to pay $98,830, and only earn 5.2% on it.

Lawton4Life
6/22/2011, 08:40 AM
I guess 15,000 is 15,000 but i expected Cameron to be way less than that.

Has tuition etc doubled since 2000?

OhU1
6/22/2011, 09:14 AM
Cameron seems to push the "criminal justice" major pretty heavily. Prison guard and law enforcement careers are not high paying.

I think education is largely what you put into it - no one can spoon feed knowledge and critical thinking skills into your brain. However if you set low standards most students will gladly slide by. I can't imagine how poorly you would have to do in high school to be denied entry into Cameron. That makes it akin to a community college to me (which is probably Cameron’s purpose).

I know several Cameron grads that took education seriously and went on to grad school or law school at OU. On the other hand I've met and interviewed others who would have flunked out of Norman High School (my alma mater).

Jacie
6/22/2011, 09:19 AM
Sooner grads take note, the fine print on OUr degrees reads "If this were chocolate, you could eat it."

King Crimson
6/22/2011, 09:42 AM
it's a consumer model, not and educational one.

pretty convincing, huh?

Jammin'
6/22/2011, 09:48 AM
pretty convincing, huh?

I gave you positive spek for that! well done.

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 09:58 AM
In High School, we referred to it as UCLA:

University of Cameron, Lawton Area

I cant really speak to the quality of the education, I just watched HS Football games there in the 90s, but I always felt sad for my friends who ended up going there instead of to a big school...it's the ultimate safety school for Lawton kids for sure.

Get off your high horse...

No need to feel sorry for me since I attended University Cameron Lawton Area...my parents wanted me to go to OU and had the money to pay my way...big sis went to OU on pops penny...but I had a great full time job so I elected to stay and work full time and pay for my own education...

I only attended two years at Cameron and then at age 21 transferred as a grocery store co manager in a new store in Hereford, Tx...a year later I was store manager and pulled in 35k (1975) ,including bonus, for increased sales...at that point I started classes at WT in Canyon...

Of the 72 hours (18 per semester while working full time) I only had one class that had a crappy prof...one semester at 4.0 with an average around 3.5 for the two years...

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:02 AM
How many people actually accomplish this, especially those who (like me) had to work full time while in college? Seems like that requirement would render a lot of students ineligible for this program.

I worked full time night shift...got off at 7 and started class at 7:30...carried 18 hours per semester...I was young and full of **** and vinegar...it was easy...my nights off I studied all night long....

Just depends on your priority...I do understand that my junior and senior years would have been more difficult while working full time...that is why I enrolled in 18 credit hours per semester the first two years...

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:05 AM
Oh, and it was $13 a credit hour in 1972...

Lawton4Life
6/22/2011, 10:06 AM
Get off your high horse...

No need to feel sorry for me since I attended University Cameron Lawton Area...my parents wanted me to go to OU and had the money to pay my way...big sis went to OU on pops penny...but I had a great full time job so I elected to stay and work full time and pay for my own education...

I only attended two years at Cameron and then at age 21 transferred as a grocery store co manager in a new store in Hereford, Tx...a year later I was store manager and pulled in 35k (1975) ,including bonus, for increased sales...at that point I started classes at WT in Canyon...

Of the 72 hours (18 per semester while working full time) I only had one class that had a crappy prof...one semester at 4.0 with an average around 3.5 for the two years...

I got off my high horse on the very next post :) Didnt want to pompus and I added to my thought. I'm sure Cameron was different in 1975 vs 1996 as well.

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:08 AM
Your first post fired me up...your follow up was much better...

Lawton4Life
6/22/2011, 10:09 AM
And i think there is a difference between having other options and CHOOSING Cameron vs having Cameron be your only choice.

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:24 AM
And i think there is a difference between having other options and CHOOSING Cameron vs having Cameron be your only choice.

Probably true...

But a lot of people would be better off not spending the big bucks to go to a name school....

Lawton4Life
6/22/2011, 10:32 AM
In the end, its what you put into it and what you do with it after the fact. I had a freind that failed Freshman English at OU. We even knew a guy on the board that was able to get him something like a 6th chance...and failed. Some folks just arent meant to go in the first place.

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:37 AM
In the end, its what you put into it and what you do with it after the fact. I had a freind that failed Freshman English at OU. We even knew a guy on the board that was able to get him something like a 6th chance...and failed. Some folks just arent meant to go in the first place.

I completely agree...

The Profit
6/22/2011, 10:41 AM
I got off my high horse on the very next post :) Didnt want to pompus and I added to my thought. I'm sure Cameron was different in 1975 vs 1996 as well.

I was at Cameron in 1975, and it was a great school then. Most of your professors had their doctorates. They taught the classes themselves without relying upon some timid and stuttering grad assistant.

Cameron, today, is even better. The university,after suffering for 20 years under the guidance of a horrible president, Don Davis, is really moving forward with an outstanding president. I believe it is the only other 4-year school under the OU Board of Regents. It offers masters degrees in several areas, and has extension programs in other southwest Oklahoma communities.

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 11:42 AM
I was at Cameron in 1975, and it was a great school then. Most of your professors had their doctorates. They taught the classes themselves without relying upon some timid and stuttering grad assistant.

Cameron, today, is even better. The university,after suffering for 20 years under the guidance of a horrible president, Don Davis, is really moving forward with an outstanding president. I believe it is the only other 4-year school under the OU Board of Regents. It offers masters degrees in several areas, and has extension programs in other southwest Oklahoma communities.

Don Davis...errrrrrrrrrrrr......

Chuck Bao
6/22/2011, 12:25 PM
I sincerely hope that Cameron U. can live up to this promise. It is a great concept, in my opinion. I think that more universities need to step up and guarantee the quality of both education and graduates. That is a perfect niche for Cameron.

If I were an employer in Oklahoma, I would expect a new college graduate hire to be able to write proper English grammar, at the very least. I heard that a recent Southeastern graduate was fired from her state job because she couldn't effectively communicate in written English. That is embarrassing and belittles all other diplomas granted by the school.

In my opinion, university tuitions have inflated out of control.

You got to imagine that there is pressure on the university professors and assoc. professors to give at least a "C" grade to students who are paying a pretty substantial sum for the education, as well as a bit of sympathy for those who will be saddled with student loan debts for 5-6 years after graduation. Flunking them out seems so heartless and, besides, maybe they will eventually catch on. I suspect that there is some degree of grade inflation with the tuition inflation.

My other beef is that all university admin want to make their school a "research" institution and rise in the rankings. The sad fact is that professors are pushed into neglecting their teaching responsibility for writing in some arcane journals about some pretty worthless stuff. What do the students and recent graduates get out of that unless it is useful and they are contributing? I really hate those rankings.

Now, if you are in a masters or doctorate program working with these famed research professors, then the much higher tuition would be justified. Honestly, tertiary education in the US just seems like a scam to me. They do it because they can live off a pretty captive market.

I think Cameron is positioning itself correctly. It is a teaching institution and guarantees that graduates will be able to handle their future jobs. Kudos for them for developing that strategy. At least someone is thinking at the university admin level.

OhU1
6/22/2011, 12:51 PM
I believe it is the only other 4-year school under the OU Board of Regents.

Rogers State in Claremore is the other school under the OU Board of Regents.

The Profit
6/22/2011, 02:05 PM
Rogers State in Claremore is the other school under the OU Board of Regents.

I thought Rogers State was a 2-year school.. My bad.

jk the sooner fan
6/22/2011, 02:11 PM
I thought Rogers State was a 2-year school.. My bad.

Rose State?

tator
6/22/2011, 02:24 PM
Is there a need for this guarantee? I guess I'm not seeing why they would go out on a limb, unless they were having trouble with people not taking their degree seriously.

King Crimson
6/22/2011, 07:12 PM
In my opinion, university tuitions have inflated out of control.

You got to imagine that there is pressure on the university professors and assoc. professors to give at least a "C" grade to students who are paying a pretty substantial sum for the education, as well as a bit of sympathy for those who will be saddled with student loan debts for 5-6 years after graduation. Flunking them out seems so heartless and, besides, maybe they will eventually catch on. I suspect that there is some degree of grade inflation with the tuition inflation.

My other beef is that all university admin want to make their school a "research" institution and rise in the rankings. The sad fact is that professors are pushed into neglecting their teaching responsibility for writing in some arcane journals about some pretty worthless stuff. What do the students and recent graduates get out of that unless it is useful and they are contributing? I really hate those rankings.

universities are expected to provide all kinds of amenities these days. that's why tuition skyrockets. has to be a hotel and spa and have wireless everywhere. kids aren't happy unless they have pilates and comfy couches.

no more spartan dorms. comfy is a recruiting tool.

professors have very little pressure on them to "grade inflate" students, directly. grade inflation just "is". horrible truth, but it's not a trend you can buck. making a C requires f*ck up behavior...it's an active effort.

there's nothing heartless about failing a kid who doesn't do the work. doesn't have anything to do with what mummy and daddy paid.

Chuck Bao
6/22/2011, 08:14 PM
universities are expected to provide all kinds of amenities these days. that's why tuition skyrockets. has to be a hotel and spa and have wireless everywhere. kids aren't happy unless they have pilates and comfy couches.

no more spartan dorms. comfy is a recruiting tool.

professors have very little pressure on them to "grade inflate" students, directly. grade inflation just "is". horrible truth, but it's not a trend you can buck. making a C requires f*ck up behavior...it's an active effort.

there's nothing heartless about failing a kid who doesn't do the work. doesn't have anything to do with what mummy and daddy paid.

Thanks for correcting me, King Crimson. You know much better than I do.

Actually, that is even worse than I had imagined. Good grief, any parent who pays for their kids to attend a four-star hotel of a school probably deserves what they get. Okay, I can see making the library nice with comfy couches and chairs and such.

Speaking of grade inflation, I had a very different experience in the one year I taught at a university. The dean would repeatedly stress that all teachers grade on a bell shaped curve with equal number of F grades as A grades. Teachers who gave mostly A's and B's were called out in faculty meetings.

Okay, that was in Hong Kong and a very different time. The university, at that time, accepted less than 20% of its applicants and could easily afford to flunk out some students and replace them with the next year's crop of incoming freshmen. I get it that the university was fighting to build a reputation for quality. To justify flunking a number of students, each teacher/professor would give out a crazy number of assignments. The students were so stressed by the workload and fear of flunking out that you could see it, smell it, feel it on campus. That was shocking to me after studying in the US system.

I guess that there is little wonder why Asian students studying in the US don't mix very well or why the economic might is rapidly moving to Asia.

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2011, 10:17 PM
Where the hell is Cameron U?

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 10:19 PM
Where the hell is Cameron U?

Southwest Oklahoma.

65Mustang
6/22/2011, 10:46 PM
nm

Tulsa_Fireman
6/23/2011, 08:14 AM
Rose State?

GO RAIDERS

Lawton4Life
6/23/2011, 08:29 AM
Southwest Oklahoma.

Lawton specifically...about 45 minutes northish of Wichita Falls, for the Texas folks.

SicEmBaylor
6/23/2011, 04:07 PM
My sister and her husband live in Lawton. I had no idea a school was there.

Mississippi Sooner
6/23/2011, 04:10 PM
They had a football team at one time, and they won the NAIA national championship in the late 80s. Then they discontinued the football program.

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 10:42 AM
They had a football team at one time, and they won the NAIA national championship in the late 80s. Then they discontinued the football program.

i have a friend that went there when Joe Don Looney was there.

pphilfran
6/24/2011, 10:44 AM
Junior Rose Bowl Champions...

texaspokieokie
6/24/2011, 10:45 AM
back in the days when pasadena cc was the only team to play home games in the rose bowl.