PDA

View Full Version : Keith Nichols Update (per sharkdiver on OUinsider)

lmg0088
6/21/2011, 05:34 PM
I found this interesting and wanted to share on here.

Keith had committed to being a groomsman in a close friend's wedding but had to change his plans: the wedding was scheduled the same day as Austin Box's funeral. Keith explained to his friend why he could not be with him and came to OK and sat with the team at the funeral. He and Austin had been roomies in that spring semester when they came in early.

On a more general note, Keith expects to get a lot a playing time at wide receiver in the fall and should complete his master's degree (or be close) by the time his scholarship ends in December.
I think he and his dad have finally recovered from the disappointment of his football career, and he is already getting some job offers based on his character

Let me end with an observation: though I thought Keith could win the starting job, I was also clear about wanting the BEST QB, whomever that might be. Clearly Sam was the best of the best, and I loved his being OU QB. I watch Rams just to see him play. The cruel irony is that if Keith had stayed with MSU originally, he almost certainly have been a 3 year starter. MSU wasn't even recruiting Cousins until Keith gave a verbal to OU. But who can fault his decision without the benefit of hindsight. I have kept telling his dad that they made the right decision at the time given the circumstances.

This post was edited by sharkdiver on 6/21/2011 at 3:53 PM

EatLeadCommie
6/21/2011, 05:46 PM
Shark was always good for KN posts... Keith would've been the guy to step in against BYU had he stayed.

badger
6/21/2011, 05:48 PM
I still cheer for Keith when they have Michigan State on TV. I still badmouth Cousins every time he doesn't pass to Keith, who is lo and behold, blocking his arse off every time he doesn't get passed the ball or they hand it off to whoever.

With a solid senior year, he could be a late draftee if he keeps working his arse off.

I still remember a spring scrimmage ending with a long bomb to the endzone (by Keith) and thinking then and there that Nichol had the starter's job undoubtedly. He looked better than the other two guys (Halzle and Sammie) that day... alas, the coaches see them the other six days of the week and I think we can all agree that Sammie was a very good choice as a starter.

Still... if only we could somehow have two quarterbacks, or have convinced Nichol to be a receiver here. That would have been soooo awesome.

yermom
6/21/2011, 05:53 PM
you never know what's going to happen. Laundry didn't like riding the pine either. it worked out for him though.

we've had a lot of success at QB, but really, we've had a lot of problems too. many stories of kids getting their chance and doing pretty well here. Jason White had to wait out Hybl and Heupel ;)

not that i'm bashing Nichol, he had a chance to go back home and be close to family and it's cool that he came back to be with the team like that.

goingoneight
6/21/2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry, baj... I gotta tell ya. Sam was a cut above Halzle and Nichol that day. Even though you couldn't really tell much given the gameplan. Nichol just wowed a few people because he ran for a couple yards. Like any good recliner coach, I watched the game film closely. ;)

As for Nichol perhaps being the guy to fill in for Sam against BYU... not so much. Landry was listed ahead of Nichol on all the depth charts, and that was said to be the one of the reasons Nichol left. I'm glad he's doing okay with MSU, but he just didn't (and still doesn't) fit what Stoops wants his QBs to do ever since the Jason White injuries.

you just can't keep a stable of QBs like you can any other position on a team. Receivers, linemen, backs, TEs, LBs, DBs, special teamers, everyone else rotates. If you get in the three deep just about anywhere else, you get to play. QB is a position where you're either the starter, or you're working your azz off to play in garbage time. I would probably leave too if I was the #3 QB. The #3 QB gets snaps when what... the starter throws six TD passes, the backup throws 3 TDs and you're up 77-0?

olevetonahill
6/21/2011, 07:04 PM
Always thot he was a class act. I still wish him nothing but the best in life.

VA Sooner
6/21/2011, 07:10 PM
Keith is a class act and this article by sharkdriver just cements that idea in my head even further. I wish him luck in this senior year and will be cheering them on.

47straight
6/21/2011, 08:52 PM
Agreed. A good kid who tried to make the best decisions he could with the information he had at the time.

badger
6/21/2011, 09:46 PM
Sorry, baj... I gotta tell ya. Sam was a cut above Halzle and Nichol that day. Even though you couldn't really tell much given the gameplan. Nichol just wowed a few people because he ran for a couple yards. Like any good recliner coach, I watched the game film closely. ;)

I wasn't referring to the Red/White game. It was a different scrimmage, so it's likely that we're not referring to the same practice.

sperry
6/21/2011, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a smart kid, and will likely have a future in coaching if he wants it.

mushu405
6/22/2011, 09:21 AM
Keith is a class act and this article by sharkdriver just cements that idea in my head even further. I wish him luck in this senior year and will be cheering them on.

Agreed. I root for him every time I see MSU on tv. He's been a great kid and hope nothing but the best. Hearing this makes me love this kid even more.

King Crimson
6/22/2011, 09:49 AM
at this point, getting beaten out by Sam Bradford is not the worst thing to live with. i always liked Nichols and pull for him at MSU.

my uncle was beat out by some guy named Mildren. it happens.

Soonerfan88
6/22/2011, 10:02 AM
Hope he has great success in life, always seemed to be a good kid from a nice family.

Also, his last name is Nichol - no 's'.

lmg0088
6/22/2011, 10:39 AM
Hope he has great success in life, always seemed to be a good kid from a nice family.

Also, his last name is Nichol - no 's'.

Sorry, typed it in and didn't reread it.:O Would change if I could.

LakeRat
6/22/2011, 11:51 AM
I wasn't referring to the Red/White game. It was a different scrimmage, so it's likely that we're not referring to the same practice.

every one of the scrimmages, Sam made it obvious that he was the man.

badger
6/22/2011, 12:20 PM
every one of the scrimmages, Sam made it obvious that he was the man.

Respectfully disagree.

However, where Sammie really stood out were the actual games. He acted like he was a four-year starter his first year! Then, when Halzle came in, he looked OK. Solid, not Sammie spectacular. BUT, when Keith came in, he seemed nervous as hell, even in mopup duty fourth quarter time.

I think if Keith had gotten over his game jitters early-on, he would have been Sam's backup instead of Joey. Alas... not meant to be. Hope he kicks arse in Sparta

BigJerm7
6/22/2011, 03:49 PM
Didnt they burn his redshirt for like 2 plays his freshman year?

goss8572
6/22/2011, 09:07 PM
Badger, I agree with you 100%. I distinctly remember him hitting Manny Johnson at the goal line from about 50 yards out on a rope and thinking the same as you....he would be the man. Nobody else threw any balls like that in the scrimmages going into that season....even Sam. He also threw some really nice balls on the run, but he was running with the second team and Cheney and Tennell dropped quite a few balls. Of course, Sam was THE MAN on game day and it was obvious that he was the best choice, but based on the second scrimmage, I was sold on Nichol.

MyT Oklahoma
6/23/2011, 07:56 PM
Always thot he was a class act. I still wish him nothing but the best in life.

^^ This.

Plus I am glad that he first chose to be a Sooner even if it didn't work out for him.

Coming back for Austin's funeral from out-of-state surely touched Austin's family's hearts. Thank you Keith and only the best to you always.

Chiliman
6/23/2011, 08:47 PM
The fact Kieth came back for Austin's funeral says a lot about Kieth and Austin.

PLaw
6/24/2011, 12:32 PM

Ditto. Congrats to KN for getting his degree and starting his masters. That's the epitomy of a collegiate athlete.

Boomer

OU-HSV
6/24/2011, 03:29 PM
I always wished the best for Keith. I'm sure it was a disappointment for him to have to transfer...but it would've been even more disappointing for him to have stayed and rode the bench most of his career at OU due to the Sam Bradford/Landry Jones factors. Here's to KN having a good upcoming season.

soonerfan28
6/25/2011, 08:04 AM
Wish more players were like Keith Nichol. Hope he has a good year in 2011