PDA

View Full Version : Pokes announce plans to build indoor facility

JLEW1818
6/21/2011, 03:27 PM
Oklahoma State is one of the last few Big 12 teams without an indoor facility.

That's going to change very soon. The Cowboys announced plans to begin construction on the Sherman E. Smith Center on August 1, 2011, an indoor practice facility that will cost $16 million, according to a release.

Smith, who the facility will be named for, died earlier this month.

"Sherman Smith was a good friend of mine," Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said. "His relationship with Boone Pickens dates back to the 1940s. They shared the same birthday, were in the same fraternity and had a business relationship."

Grass and turf fields adjacent to the facility are already underway, and the estimated cost of those, plus the surrounding fencing, is expected to be $3 million.

You can see more on the facilities, which will be located across from Boone Pickens Stadium, here.

"It's fitting that two of the most important structures for OSU Athletics will be across the street from each other and will bear the names of Sherman Smith and Boone Pickens," Holder said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/30052/osu-announces-plans-to-build-indoor-facility

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 03:30 PM
Oklahoma State is one of the last few Big 12 teams without an indoor facility.

That's going to change very soon. The Cowboys announced plans to begin construction on the Sherman E. Smith Center on August 1, 2011, an indoor practice facility that will cost $16 million, according to a release.

Smith, who the facility will be named for, died earlier this month.

"Sherman Smith was a good friend of mine," Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said. "His relationship with Boone Pickens dates back to the 1940s. They shared the same birthday, were in the same fraternity and had a business relationship."

Grass and turf fields adjacent to the facility are already underway, and the estimated cost of those, plus the surrounding fencing, is expected to be $3 million.

You can see more on the facilities, which will be located across from Boone Pickens Stadium, here.

"It's fitting that two of the most important structures for OSU Athletics will be across the street from each other and will bear the names of Sherman Smith and Boone Pickens," Holder said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/30052/osu-announces-plans-to-build-indoor-facility

I'm gonna say 4 million by the time they put up that fancy black wrought iron fence

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/392827.jpg

Where to put the trees.....4.5 million

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/392821.jpg

JLEW1818
6/21/2011, 03:31 PM
I lol everytime i hear the name Boone Pickens

Soonerfan88
6/21/2011, 03:31 PM
One of the last few? Come on ESPN, don't sugar coat it. They are the last by several years. Too bad they waited until Smith died before actually moving forward on this.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 03:36 PM
Aren't they already horribly in debt?

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 03:39 PM

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/392828.jpg

Sherman E. Smith donated $20 million toward the facility.
Courtesy of OSU Media Relations

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 03:41 PM
Now back to JimTraberisaeffinGod.com

http://www.jimtraber.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34598&PID=878255

badger
6/21/2011, 03:42 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/zyak2p.jpg

SunnySooner
6/21/2011, 03:48 PM
I really wouldn't bring attention to the fact that they still don't have an indoor facility. How embarrassing. They should just build it at night, retro-decor it, and act like it's been there since the 70's.

Lott's Bandana
6/21/2011, 03:51 PM
This was going to be built in 2009.

It isn't 2009 any longer.

Now that they think they can afford it once again, it probably costs them 20% more.

Mississippi Sooner
6/21/2011, 03:51 PM
Well, from the architect's rendering, it does look like it'll have that old, out of date appearance. Sorta like Gallagher-Iba.

badger
6/21/2011, 03:54 PM
This is good news for OSU. Now the only place they rank behind Baylor football is in the 2005 season. :D

http://i51.tinypic.com/2u4opw2.png

Oh yes, Pokes, that actually happened, and it happened under [hairGel]. And don't even TRY to claim that :les: destroyed your program --- it was good enough that an SEC program hired him away and he had you in a bowl in his last several Poke years.

Facilities or not, you are due for another craptacular season, Pokie.

JLEW1818
6/21/2011, 03:55 PM
more photos here

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/062111aaa.html

pphilfran
6/21/2011, 03:59 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/392828.jpg

Sherman E. Smith donated $20 million toward the facility.
Courtesy of OSU Media Relations

That 20 mill went down the tube when the Pokes got greedy and invested everything in T Boone's fund...

pphilfran
6/21/2011, 04:01 PM
This was going to be built in 2009.

It isn't 2009 any longer.

Now that they think they can afford it once again, it probably costs them 20% more.

The initial plan was to build a Taj Mahal...the current plans call for a much less grandiose facility...

rekamrettuB
6/21/2011, 04:45 PM
Have they started knocking off alums yet to collect on their life insurance policies?

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 04:55 PM
I lol everytime i hear the name Boone Pickens

would you lol if he was an OU alum ??

pphilfran
6/21/2011, 04:58 PM
would you lol if he was an OU alum ??

No problem with T Boone putting up all the bucks...my problem was with Holder being greedy and putting all of the money in the most risky of investments...

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 05:00 PM

are they ??

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 05:03 PM
No problem with T Boone putting up all the bucks...my problem was with Holder being greedy and putting all of the money in the most risky of investments...

he probably put it where t-bone told him to put it.the market took a big hit 2 or 3 yrs ago, everybody (mostly) got burned. pickens replenished the supply.

mightysooner
6/21/2011, 05:05 PM
Yay. They can hold their games in there on rainy days and still manage to accomodate all their fans.

jumperstop
6/21/2011, 05:08 PM
From what I heard last year, don't know if this has changed, their awesome indoor facility won't even have air conditioning/heaters. It's going to have huge doors they can open up to cool off or heat up. They said this was all in the plan to save money, but don't worry poke fans it'll still be bigger than OU's or Texas' indoor facilities. I just don't see the point of having an indoor place to practice if you aren't doing it to get out of the heat or cold. That means it's only used for practicing out of the rain/wind....what a waste...

badger
6/21/2011, 05:32 PM
I actually heard the opposite --- that it could simulate weather or something weird that sounded stupid :D

Regardless, some of the bowl practices the Pokes had the past few years were in some nasty outdoor weather, so I'm sure they won't mind a lack of heating or A/C for situations like that.

usaosooner
6/21/2011, 10:42 PM
Going from a 50 million dollar plan to a 15 million dollar hay barn is kinda fitting for a Ag school

picasso
6/22/2011, 12:25 AM
Will this replace their practice facility at Ponca City High?

CowboyMRW
6/22/2011, 12:35 AM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/haters-gonna-hate-monkey-crossed%20legs-1291945299k.jpg

SoonerRoy
6/22/2011, 12:51 AM
The local OSU is going to be the LAST university in the Big 12 to have an indoor practice facility, and the man whose donation make it possible didn't even live long enough to see it happen. SAD. Okie lite really needed it though. I remember reading about some possible recruits from Texas couldn't believe OSU didn't already have one, because THEIR HIGH SCHOOL ALREADY HAD ONE.

Curly Bill
6/22/2011, 12:58 AM
Lots of high schools in Texas already have em. Texas schools are about to take a big hit financially, even laying off teachers and stuff, but there's some damn nice football facilities down here.

..and I love me some football, but it's still sad the priorities are what they are.

oudavid1
6/22/2011, 01:28 AM
Well it looks pretty cool. OUs isn't bad, but this one looks really cool if it happens.

Partial Qualifier
6/22/2011, 01:43 AM
I actually heard the opposite --- that it could simulate weather or something weird

Yes, actually it WILL simulate weather..... since we gots no A/C we just open these big doors, see, and the wind & stuff blows through, see....

:D

Have they started knocking off alums yet to collect on their life insurance policies?

I was wondering this as well. Poor old geezers, havin' to watch their backs when they *should* be enjoying their golden years!

The funniest thing is how they are such easy targets (this practice facility fiasco being a great example), but when we imbibe it's because "OU's obsessed with us". They're like the perfect storm of comedy

MrJimBeam
6/22/2011, 05:48 AM
"The Prairie Wind touches our skin, another maverick morning begins. As the rising sun shines through the giant Sears overhead doors at our brand-spankin-new Indoor Practice Facility / Show Barn."

picasso
6/22/2011, 08:11 AM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/haters-gonna-hate-monkey-crossed%20legs-1291945299k.jpg

I'm laughing, not hating.

And um pot meet kettle.

Soonerfan88
6/22/2011, 08:31 AM
he probably put it where t-bone told him to put it.the market took a big hit 2 or 3 yrs ago, everybody (mostly) got burned. pickens replenished the supply.

Yes, they put it in Pickens hedge fund as instructed. When it had increased to around $400M, the board wanted to at least pull the original investment out because they were concerned about the market but Boone told them no. Soon after, the market crashed and they lost all the increase and part of the original donation. The only thing Boone replenished was the amount of his original donation lost. That didn't include the other donations such as Smith's $20M which were also lost in Boone's fund.

As for wanting Pickens as an OU fan/donor - not if he made the same demands for control as he does OSU. OU gets enough donations they don't need a megalomaniac trying to run the show.

Soonermagik
6/22/2011, 09:03 AM
Looks like it will be nice. Personally, I'm glad to see it. This creates an arms type race for facilities and pushes OU to keep growing. I think the OSU facilities are partly responsible for the new $75 million dorms OU is building.

I hope after the dorms OU focuses on bowling in the stadium and adding a massive video screen to the North endzone.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/22/2011, 09:14 AM
According to Boone state OU is broke and can't keep up with them.

I'll start

THE TIDE IS TURNING
ON THE RISE

lol

KuppiKunta
6/22/2011, 10:07 AM

Maybe they had a huge policy on Sherman Smith!

SoonerBacker
6/22/2011, 10:20 AM
From what I heard last year, don't know if this has changed, their awesome indoor facility won't even have air conditioning/heaters. It's going to have huge doors they can open up to cool off or heat up. They said this was all in the plan to save money, but don't worry poke fans it'll still be bigger than OU's or Texas' indoor facilities. I just don't see the point of having an indoor place to practice if you aren't doing it to get out of the heat or cold. That means it's only used for practicing out of the rain/wind....what a waste...

Saw the detailed plans for the facility on the news last night. I had originally thought you were joking about the barn door design. Nope! The thing looks absolutely rediculous! I have to agree: What's the point of having an indoor practice facility if you are just going to have to open it up to the elements?

OUchemE
6/22/2011, 10:32 AM
How much did OUr indoor facility cost? Its nothing super nice to look at (doesn't look bad either) but I think its nearly the perfect "form follows function" design.

Sooner Tri
6/22/2011, 10:34 AM
Not only will this barn not have heat/air, the "doors" are made of fabric and roll up like window shades!

I thought the article describing it was funny when it said that "several" of the Big 12 rivals currently have IPF's. Wonder why he didn't say ALL except osu have them?

badger
6/22/2011, 10:36 AM

Oh CowboyMRW, you're so much fun :stunned:

Really, it's a good thing you'll have your indoor facility, because by the time you'll need it during the year, it'll already be bowl season, which you won't be playing against us in, so whatever.

49r
6/22/2011, 12:56 PM
I hope after the dorms OU focuses on bowling in the stadium.

I don't know, they should probably just stick to focusing on football in the stadium. :D

badger
6/22/2011, 01:10 PM
I don't know, they should probably just stick to focusing on football in the stadium. :D

I initially read it the other way too. However, if it makes rich alumni donors happy, then go ahead and add an alley or two.

stoopified
6/22/2011, 01:13 PM
It was also funny that as of 3 years ago osu didn't even have an artificail outdoor practice facility.I vividly recall that the Cowpukes busing down to Ponca City to use their turf surface for spring practice because heavy rain had the osu grass gridiron practice facilities uselesss. Sad when a D-1 team ON THE RISE has to use high school facilities.

badger
6/22/2011, 01:19 PM
Big time donors really are the savior of some of these not-top programs. I heard a similar story about the quacks up in oregano dealing with having no indoor facility and having to practice through crappy weather up there.

But really... are some of these not-top programs worth saving, or should college football just continue to be haves like us, and have-nots like most everyone else? :P

Sooner_Tuf
6/22/2011, 01:36 PM

No, they quit paying the premiums and are suing to get the premiums they did pay back.

Soonermagik
6/22/2011, 01:42 PM

Sttttrriikkkeee. :D

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/22/2011, 01:43 PM
If you head on over to orangepower I'm sure they are saying something to the effect of "well, people are talking about us so that HAS to mean we are good"

badger
6/22/2011, 02:00 PM
If you head on over to orangepower I'm sure they are saying something to the effect of "well, people are talking about us so that HAS to mean we are good"

I think they prefer complaining about nobody talking about them so they can feel disrespsected... rather than everyone laughing at them while talking about them, also making them feel disrespected :P

BoomerJ
6/22/2011, 02:22 PM
I figure they were looking forward to humping sheep with the modern comforts of climate control.

picasso
6/22/2011, 03:44 PM
How much did OUr indoor facility cost? Its nothing super nice to look at (doesn't look bad either) but I think its nearly the perfect "form follows function" design.

You can't compare prices betwixt the two. Different costs and economy.

LostCreekSooner
6/22/2011, 07:07 PM
I hope after the dorms OU focuses on bowling in the stadium and adding a massive video screen to the North endzone.

Will I have to wear those goofy shoes?
Why do you need to see your score on two different screens?
BTW... My high score is 243.