PDA

View Full Version : PSA: nude planking will get you arrested in Thailand

Chuck Bao
6/21/2011, 02:34 PM
This is a public service announcement. I guess that this is a fad sweeping through Europe, Australia, New Zealand and now Asia. The whole thing seems pretty dumb with clothes or without.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Nude-planking-photos-online-an-offence-30158300.html

Nude planking photos online an offence
By The Nation
Published on June 21, 2011

The Culture Watch Centre warned yesterday that posting nude planking pictures on the Internet was a legal offence.

"We will write to the National Police Office as well as the Information and Communications Technology Ministry to ask that they block [Web pages containing the pictures] and nail down the people who posted them," the centre's director Ladda Tangsupachai said. She said people who posted such pictures would face legal action for violating the 2007 Computer Crimes Act.

Ladda also said that although it was not illegal to perform nude planking in private places, she warned people against it, saying that it was "not constructive" and "inappropriate".

She was speaking after nude-planking pictures began to appear on the Internet. Ladda said, however, she agreed with Pabpiab (polite squat sit), or "Thailand Planking". "My praise goes to children who have done this. It's like turning a crisis into an opportunity," she said.

Planking can be dangerous and damaging to property if people attempting the act choose the wrong place for the "lying down game".

Lara Louise Pland Saen, 20, a tourist from the Netherlands, climbed over the roof of a car-rent company in Chiang Mai on Sunday night in the hope of planking, but ended up breaking many roof tiles.

The broken tiles fell and damaged a car parked below.

A security guard quickly alerted police and Saen, who was clearly drunk, was arrested. She later admitted she was trying to perform planking and offered to pay compensation.

The company, however, has refused to settle the case out of court. It has insisted that she should be charged with intrusion and causing property damage.

In a related development, Mahamakut Buddhist University's assistant rector for legal affairs Songkran Atchariyasap said that after personally offering a reward of Bt5,000 for information identifying a man seen planking in a monk's robe, he had obtained pictures and "crucial information".

He plans to give the information to the National Office of Buddhism today.

"It's not an appropriate thing for a monk to do. If we find that the man in the picture is really a monk, we will alert the abbot of his temple. A reprimand must be issued," said the office's director Amnaj Buasiri.

Amnaj suggested that monks should begin "meditation planking" if they saw the trend as an opportunity to promote the practice of Lord Buddha's teachings.

lexsooner
6/21/2011, 02:52 PM
Nude banking will get you arrested in the U.S.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 02:53 PM
You have children nude planking over there?

Chuck Bao
6/21/2011, 03:06 PM
You have children nude planking over there?

I don't think so. I'm guessing that they are just a bunch of late teens and 20s young people that like to do something incredibly stupid and then post a pic of it.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 03:34 PM
I did laugh at the foreigner getting arrested. Kudos to the company wanting to press charges and not just settle.

Jacie
6/21/2011, 03:43 PM
Planking is the action of lying face down with arms to the sides of the body, in unusual public spaces and photographing it.

So I guess nude planking means doing it without your clothes on. Not sure I understand this phenomenom but if I see anyone doing it nude, I'll try to get a shot of it with my cell for everyone . . .