PDA

View Full Version : Bad PR for South Carolina VW & Audi Dealership

MsProudSooner2
6/21/2011, 12:18 PM
South Carolina dad quits job to see son pitch at College World Series

By David Brown

South Carolina dad quits job to see son pitch at College World SeriesDavid Roth vowed he would not miss another chance to watch his son pitch for South Carolina at the College World Series if the Gamecocks returned to Omaha after winning the national championship in 2010.

But when his son's team made it back, David Roth found himself in a tough spot. Unable to get personal time off from work, he needed to make a decision.

Michael Roth announced it on Twitter on Saturday:

How's this for dedication? My dad had to quit his job to make it out to Omaha. Couldn't get here last year. #novacationdays

As decisions go, this one seems as touching as it is impulsive. David Roth, a 57-year-old college graduate, really had quit his job selling Volkswagens and Audis in Greenville, S.C.

He was unemployed but in the stands at TD Ameritrade Park on Sunday, watching his son pitch 7 1/3 innings in a 5-4 victory for South Carolina against Texas A&M.

"Obviously, it was pretty special considering it was Father's Day yesterday," [Michael Roth] said Monday. "I'm glad that he's here. It's been pretty cool having my family here. [...]

"My dad's been a huge inspiration for baseball for me," he said. "It's definitely nice to have him out here."

Definitely nice, yes. But how many parents out there would make, or could even entertain making, the same call?

Michael Roth has not allowed an earned run in 37 1/3 innings for South Carolina, and his ERA for the season is 0.97. As a result of his success, the Cleveland Indians made him a 31st-round pick in the June draft. Roth is unsigned so far, but even if he signs, he doesn't get many guarantees professionally. His career could be over quickly. It could be over this week.

And that's probably where a lot of his father's motivation comes from.

Most players reach this point in their baseball career only with the help of one or both parents making sacrifices along the way. But these sacrifices usually take the form of long car rides, expensive camps and equipment, and time. And it all might require a parent getting a second job to make it all come together.

But actually quitting a job? In this economy? Noble, sure. Maybe not as noble as donating a kidney or bone marrow, but good luck getting a transplant if you don't have a job and health insurance to pay for it.

What David Roth did was risky, even reckless — depending on many unknown (to us) financial factors for the Roths. But even the gesture — "I have quit my job to watch my son pitch in the College World Series" — it boggles the mind. It's awesome.

Is he worried about his dad getting another job?

"No, he'll be OK," Michael Roth said. "Gamecock Nation will help us out."

Better make sure South Carolina wins again, just in case.

badger
6/21/2011, 12:24 PM
It's the SEC. Gamecock Nation will totally help them out if they haven't already. It was a big effing deal to the state to win that first elusive national title.

The Maestro
6/21/2011, 12:26 PM
He sells cars. He can have 12 jobs tomorrow. Who wants to stand outside and badger people in the sun? On Saturday's?

Partial Qualifier
6/21/2011, 12:28 PM
I'd think any dealership selling Audi's and Volkswagons is already at 2 strikes and couldn't afford any bad P.R. .......

OutlandTrophy
6/21/2011, 12:31 PM
why did he not have any vacation days? poor planning on his part?

OUMallen
6/21/2011, 12:37 PM
It's the SEC. Gamecock Nation will totally help them out if they haven't already. It was a big effing deal to the state to win that first elusive national title.

They won last year, didn't they?

badger
6/21/2011, 12:39 PM
They won last year, didn't they?

Exactly. Plus, if his son is a decent pitcher, he might get an MLB tryout or billion (which is coincidentally the number of rounds in the MLB draft)

soonersweetie
6/21/2011, 12:46 PM
While I think this was a pretty cool story, the one question that keeps sticking in my mind is this....

Is he worried about his dad getting another job?

"No, he'll be OK," Michael Roth said. "Gamecock Nation will help us out."
Wouldn't that be a NCAA violation? Just wondering?

sooner_born_1960
6/21/2011, 12:46 PM
David Roth vowed he would not miss another chance to watch his son pitch for South Carolina at the College World Series if the Gamecocks returned to Omaha after winning the national championship in 2010.
I think some of you are missing this.

The Maestro
6/21/2011, 12:48 PM
I don't blame the dad. When he's dying his employee of the month plaque won't really mean much, but making memories with his son will.

But seriously...the want ads in any paper of full of car salesman jobs. Dime a dozen.

olevetonahill
6/21/2011, 01:05 PM

Either the dad cant plan fer ****, or the job is so crappy he dont get any vacation time at all.:rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
6/21/2011, 01:37 PM

Kinda what I was thinking. But then, other companies may not be generous on that level or he just started and had none in the bank. May be many reasons besides, he used all he had up previously.

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 02:10 PM
I think it says a lot about the Car Industry and how they have changed since being bailed out.

Anyone that has been to a car lot really does wonder why they really need sales people anyway. They would do better if they had a demo for qualified buyers to drive for a day and maybe a good way of helping potential buyers find all the hidden reasons a to why one vehicle is thousands of dollars more than another.

The options part of this industry is an amazing rip off as once a car or truck is used....it makes very little difference in resale of most of them.

To hell with them all. I doubt I'll ever walk onto another new car lot. It's for suckers.

His Dad needed a new job anyway.

Taxman71
6/21/2011, 02:19 PM
Can't the dad get by on the Eat Em and Smile royalties?

Pricetag
6/21/2011, 02:22 PM
Can't the dad get by on the Eat Em and Smile royalties?
Dang it. I was going to say that I guess the dad figured he might as well jump.

Jammin'
6/21/2011, 02:35 PM
The dad should be able to find food and clothing through the local churches.

Howzit
6/21/2011, 02:40 PM

Maybe he used them all up volunteering for Habitat for Humanity or working with the homeless or mentoring underpriveleged children or developing cold fusion to free us from foreign oil dependency while not endangering our planet, mister glass-is-half-empty.

You don't know.

OutlandTrophy
6/21/2011, 02:43 PM
do too.

If I was him I'd quit my job too.

sooner_born_1960
6/21/2011, 02:47 PM
He should have just gone to the baseball tournament. Let them fire him when he got back.

JohnnyMack
6/21/2011, 02:49 PM
Good for him. The only thing we'll do on this planet that will really matter is to be there for our kids.

Taxman71
6/21/2011, 03:17 PM
If I owned the dealership, instead of firing him, I would have put him in a commercial.

JohnnyMack
6/21/2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.stevewhitevw.com

pphilfran
6/21/2011, 03:41 PM
If I owned the dealership, instead of firing him, I would have put him in a commercial.

He didn't get fired....he quit...your commercial idea is pretty good...