PDA

View Full Version : Rotnei Clarke

badger
6/21/2011, 12:12 PM
I am sure you all heard by now, but just in case you didn't Rotnei is no longer a Razorback. Linky here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=96&articleid=20110621_96_B1_ULNSbC164443) Mizzou transplant Mike Anderson said that initially Rotnei wanted to stay on when Mike was hired, but later changed his mind and sought his release.

Rotnei's recruiting tale was very bizarre. Please correct any inaccuracies, but here's what I heard:

Oklahoma: Originally tied to Willie Warren, but eventually decided to not go to the same school as WW.

Tulsa: Would have been fun teaming with Jordan, but took them off his short list when a relative (dad?) was hired at ORU.

ORU: Only seemed to consider them because his relative (dad?) was hired by ORU. I think it was basketball operations director or something weird.

Oklahoma State: Considered, would have been interesting with both Keaton Page and Rotnei, but probably decided that two short shooters wouldn't work.

Arkansas: Seemed to be tied to his sister who played volleyball for Arky.

Rumors of his transfer have been long... um... rumored!

"Contrary to a local television station report over the weekend that I was 'seriously considering' transferring, I wanted to make clear to the Razorback fans that I will return to play basketball for the University of Arkansas next season. It has never been my intention to transfer. I am looking forward to working with Coach Pelphrey and the rest of my teammates this off season to improve individually as well as a team for next year. The University, coaches and fans have supported me since I came to Arkansas and I look forward to competing for the Razorbacks next season. My family plays a huge role in my life. With my sister attending the University as a member of the volleyball team and my family living close by, Arkansas has become home."

That actually appeared on the Arky sports site here. (http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=204909358)

I wonder what finally drove him out. I slightly suspect it was Jimmer.
http://alloveralbany.com/images/jimmer_si_cover.jpg

I think either Rotnei and/or his family had it in his/their minds that all of the attention Jimmer was receiving for his long distance scoring ability was supposed to be Rotnei's. Sure, he put up his high numbers against the SEC's notoriously weak non-conference schedules (not just for football anymore!) but really, how could Rotnei be Jimmer when Jimmer is in the tourney and Rotnei's head coach is getting ousted?

Anyways, one year of eligibility left. Would love any info any could provide on the possibility that Rotnei's final year could be in Norman. Thoughts?

Eielson
6/21/2011, 01:27 PM
Let's put a whole starting lineup of transfers together.

yankee
6/21/2011, 01:29 PM
Question. Is your Jimmer conspiracy sarcastic?

And I don't think there's any way in hell Lon let's a ball hog punk transfer to OU. He'll end up at a smaller school where he can be big man on campus.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/21/2011, 01:38 PM
I think he'll end up at ORU.

badger
6/21/2011, 01:54 PM
Question. Is your Jimmer conspiracy sarcastic

Maybe a little, but you have to admit that every team seems to have a Jimmer of sorts, but none were as hyped as Jimmer himself in the tourney. Had to bode a little bit of jealousy out there. :D

I think he'll end up at ORU.

Oh, now that would be ironic. His dad was at ORU for a year (I suppose to make it look like it wasn't a recruiting gift of a job) before he moved to Fayetteville (no idea what job he got there) to be with his son. Maybe ORU will rehire him as basketball operations dude?

Let's put a whole starting lineup of transfers together.

Nah - we've got Tyler Neal!
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20101123/all/l4867160.jpg

Awwww, Tyler's so cute even opponents want to pet him ;)

He'll end up at a smaller school where he can be big man on campus.

In that case, he probably should have just stayed at Arky, get his degree, get his senior honoring at his four-year school and be done with it.

So weird... you're right though, Lon probably isn't actively recruiting this guy unless Rotnei himself is pursuing OU.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/21/2011, 02:23 PM
Why is Jimmer Fredette even mentioned in this thread?!? Rotnei Clarke doesn't even deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmer...

fwsooner22
6/21/2011, 02:27 PM
Have we really gotten to the point where we care what Rotnei Clarke is gonna do with his last year of eligibility ? It's snowing in Colorado on the first day of summer. That interests me SO much more.

badger
6/21/2011, 02:29 PM
Why is Jimmer Fredette even mentioned in this thread?!? Rotnei Clarke doesn't even deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmer...
I guess I was just thinking about tonite's draft and how highly touted Rotnei once was and how unknown Jimmer once was.

Have we really gotten to the point where we care what Rotnei Clarke is gonna do with his last year of eligibility ? It's snowing in Colorado on the first day of summer. That interests me SO much more.

Don't mountains always have snow? It's summer, yeah, but that's kind of why I've resorted to mentioning this. Offseason :(

Mad Dog Madsen
6/21/2011, 03:16 PM
I guess I was just thinking about tonite's draft and how highly touted Rotnei once was and how unknown Jimmer once was.

The draft is actually on Thursday... :) But they we're actually both 3 stars according to Rivals. I do remember hearing about Coach K (Yes, from Duke) coming down to watch Rotnei play a HS game in a person but left unimpressed. Back in HS Rotnei took 60 shots a game. No kidding! Jimmer has always been good but going to a bball powerhouse like BYU kept him in the dark. :rolleyes: He did averaged 22 pts his Jr. year to go along with the 29 he averaged this year. I believe his avg was 18 ppg as a soph IIRC. Take all this FWIW. :D

badger
6/21/2011, 03:26 PM
I knew the day started with a "T" hehe. :D

I didn't know Coach K came to see Rotnei. Rumor had it that either daddy or son (or perhaps both) had a big ego (although I've heard the opposite as well). It must have been a major letdown after a big ego boost that week --- Coach K came to see me in person?! ...why hasn't he returned my calls, e-mails, texts or facebook friend requests?!?!?! lol

Mad Dog Madsen
6/21/2011, 03:30 PM
Yep, very true. Coach K was searching for the next "J.J. Redick" at the time...

badger
6/21/2011, 03:49 PM
Yep, very true. Coach K was searching for the next "J.J. Redick" at the time...

When you said that it reminded me of Sherri talking about recruiting Danielle Robinson. She had a big list of guards that she was a tournament to see, and was crossing off name after name, then noticed a speedy guard that wasn't on her big list. A guard that nobody could slow down :D

fwsooner22
6/21/2011, 03:51 PM

Don't mountains always have snow? It's summer, yeah, but that's kind of why I've resorted to mentioning this. Offseason :(

No offense Badger ......I hate the offseason too......but I hate Arky as well.....anyway thanks fo the info

badger
6/21/2011, 03:57 PM
It's cool. It was a few days since I heard anything about OU basketball and how much we should love Lon so I had to post something :)

Eielson
6/21/2011, 11:30 PM
I'd be for using a scholarship on him for one year (or would it be two?). If things didn't work out, I'm sure Lon would be fully capable of showing him where the bench is. If they did, we would add one heck of a scorer.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/22/2011, 09:54 AM
Rotnei is an arrogant POS. Im so glad he didnt come to OU out of highschool. He and his family actually believed that he had an NBA career ahead of him because he played at a small school and was the only one there with any talent. I hope wherever he goes, he falls flat on his face! Ok maybe thats a little harsh. :D

badger
6/22/2011, 10:16 AM
Rotnei is an arrogant POS. Im so glad he didnt come to OU out of highschool. He and his family actually believed that he had an NBA career ahead of him because he played at a small school and was the only one there with any talent. I hope wherever he goes, he falls flat on his face! Ok maybe thats a little harsh. :D

Now, now, we all went to school with someone like that, but how many of them actually had the talent to be D-1? Let alone a big D-1 school like Arkansas?

Even our tiny rural Wisconsin area was littered with "top athletes" that had dreams of D-1, of professional leagues, etc. in all sports.

So, at least Rotnei had Arkansas. Well, HAD Arkansas. It is kind of unfortunate they all couldn't find a way to make it work.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/22/2011, 01:44 PM
Now, now, we all went to school with someone like that, but how many of them actually had the talent to be D-1? Let alone a big D-1 school like Arkansas?

Even our tiny rural Wisconsin area was littered with "top athletes" that had dreams of D-1, of professional leagues, etc. in all sports.

So, at least Rotnei had Arkansas. Well, HAD Arkansas. It is kind of unfortunate they all couldn't find a way to make it work.

I went to high school with a guy who is the starting point guard for Purdue. (Lewis Jackson) I had a few classes with him and he was the most down to earth guy I knew there and he was a celebrity in my town. Not all good high school players are as arrogant as ole Rotnei was. ;)

badger
6/23/2011, 11:40 AM
Get this - Dave Sittler heard Rotnei's going to the Big 12. Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?/Will_Clarke_Be_The_Second_Rotnei_To_Play_For_OU/13-11709)

According to Sittler, Ronei was named for Rotnei Anderson, who apparently was an OU fullback??? Hmmm. Interesting...

picasso
6/24/2011, 12:16 PM
According to Sittler, Ronei was named for Rotnei Anderson, who apparently was an OU fullback??? Hmmm. Interesting...

We landed on the moon!

sooner_kaufy
6/24/2011, 02:01 PM
Most likely Nebraska, but OU is a possibility.

bornnbredou
6/26/2011, 01:07 PM
hmmm interesting

northspeter
6/29/2011, 03:42 PM
well, latest report from the tulsa world.. is that Rotnie is visiting Butler.. and possibly Virginia and OU...

badger
6/30/2011, 11:19 AM
well, latest report from the tulsa world.. is that Rotnie is visiting Butler.. and possibly Virginia and OU...

Ja I saw that.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20110629_234_B6_CUTLIN865352&archive=yes)

The original article was from CBSSports.com here. (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30308747)

It would be interesting to see Rotnei at Butler, coming off two losing championship game appearances. Has Rotnei been to the Big Dance with Arky yet?

Speaking of Arky, look who's still listed on their former university's site? Think they're hoping he'll change his mind? :rolleyes:

Link (http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1592834)

badger
7/8/2011, 12:23 PM
Guess who's visiting OU next week.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110708_92_B3_CUTLIN841231)

Apparently also considering Butler and Virginia. Hmm... not saying that we are totally in beggar vs. chooser state of being, but we kind of are.

pappy
7/8/2011, 10:39 PM
I would have no problem with Rotnei coming to OU he is a talented player and we are lacking in that department. I think he can only help the team...nowhere to go but up.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/9/2011, 09:07 AM
I would have no problem with Rotnei coming to OU he is a talented player and we are lacking in that department. I think he can only help the team...nowhere to go but up.

Just having talent doesnt always mean success, especially when the guy with the talent is full of himself. See Willie Warren, Tiny Gallon, and Tommy Mason-Griffin. At least he would only have one year to screw us over if he chose to do that.

pappy
7/9/2011, 11:48 AM
Just having talent doesnt always mean success, especially when the guy with the talent is full of himself. See Willie Warren, Tiny Gallon, and Tommy Mason-Griffin. At least he would only have one year to screw us over if he chose to do that.

How many talented guys were full of themselves that screwed us over last season? I'm not sure that we had any and we still sucked. Give me the talented guy that is full of himself and a good coach to change that (Kruger) over a not very talented guy (last years roster minus a couple guys) that aren't full of themselves any time. Much better chance to win.

picasso
7/9/2011, 11:52 AM
OU could always use a guy that can perform a forward jump shot.

Neath a Western Sky
7/9/2011, 05:25 PM
How many talented guys were full of themselves that screwed us over last season? I'm not sure that we had any and we still sucked. Give me the talented guy that is full of himself and a good coach to change that (Kruger) over a not very talented guy (last years roster minus a couple guys) that aren't full of themselves any time. Much better chance to win.

Well said.

yankee
7/9/2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry, would feel like a total waste of a schollie. He redshirts next year, then plays in 2012...a year where we already have 6-7 guys graduating. And that means one less sholarship for a young guy for the future. Throw in the fact that this guy had had attitude problems? Sounds like a less than pleasant scenario for getting a shooter for one (1) season.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/10/2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry, would feel like a total waste of a schollie. He redshirts next year, then plays in 2012...a year where we already have 6-7 guys graduating. And that means one less sholarship for a young guy for the future. Throw in the fact that this guy had had attitude problems? Sounds like a less than pleasant scenario for getting a shooter for one (1) season.

Exactly, I dont understand everyone wetting their panties over this guy, we are MUCH better off without him. Its not like hes a superstar or a gamechanger or anything like that. Hes an average shooting guard with major personality problems. No thanks.

badger
7/11/2011, 08:02 AM
wetting their panties over this guy

I'm not, but if Lon wants him, I'm still all giddy over hiring the Lonster Monster :D

Neath a Western Sky
7/11/2011, 01:15 PM
I'm not, but if Lon wants him, I'm still all giddy over hiring the Lonster Monster :D

I trust Kruger's discernment as to whether significant character or personality issues exist with the young man at this point that would be detrimental to the team. If so, I imagine this particular coach won't offer him. If not, I would love to have him. He's a great talent and we need to improve our in-state recruiting, even if it's just, in this case, for one year.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/11/2011, 10:45 PM

Haha, well I didnt mean you specifically just most of the fanbase in general. I guess I just really dont think the guy deserves a shot at OU whether hes handled his attitude problems or not. He had his chance out of high school and passed it up.

picasso
7/12/2011, 02:00 AM
Exactly, I dont understand everyone wetting their panties over this guy, we are MUCH better off without him. Its not like hes a superstar or a gamechanger or anything like that. Hes an average shooting guard with major personality problems. No thanks.

He averages 15 points a game. We aren't exactly loaded with shooters.

badger
7/12/2011, 09:03 AM
Rotneiwatch update here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110712_92_B5_CUTLIN856780)

Apparently OU went all out for him, the campus tour, the pickup game with the players, the dinner with the coach, etc. Sounds very much like Lon wants him, so therefore, what Lon wants, I want. Come to OU, Rotnei! Your first name demands it!

As for if we really need him, as that linky states, we were last in shooting and 10th in three pointers last year. Now that we're down to 10 teams, being 10th in the league is not just a bad, it's the worst. We were apparently 10th in scoring and 9th in threes the year before, the TMG/Tiny/WW disaster year :(

The key to this is not just improving shooting et al, but whether we give one of our final scholarships for this year to Rotnei. Even though he would have to sit out this year, apparently it would still count toward the 13-limit this year, and we already have 11 on scholly.

Eielson
7/12/2011, 10:26 AM
He averages 15 points a game. We aren't exactly loaded with shooters.

Yeah, I don't understand why so many people are so opposed to this. We could definitely use shooters, and he's a great one. It's a low risk, high reward situation. We're not such a hotbed for recruits that we can't afford to lose a scholarship for two years.

badger
7/12/2011, 10:46 AM
I think we'd only lose the scholly for one year, this upcoming year, not the year Rotnei would actually play for us if he stuck around.

I know there is risk involved. This is a guy whose situation at Arkansas was much too public for any program's comfort.

But, with much risk could also come much reward. If Lon wants him, and it really appears like he does, so do I

Ruf/Nek7
7/12/2011, 06:58 PM
Rotnei Clarke > keiton page....hope he comes here!

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/12/2011, 08:47 PM
I think we'd only lose the scholly for one year, this upcoming year, not the year Rotnei would actually play for us if he stuck around.

I know there is risk involved. This is a guy whose situation at Arkansas was much too public for any program's comfort.

But, with much risk could also come much reward. If Lon wants him, and it really appears like he does, so do I

I am as excited about Kruger as anyone, but I will withhold that kind of trust until I see him actually do something here. I hope to sweet jesus that you are right and this is a good decision, though.

WichitaSooner
7/13/2011, 08:14 AM
I am as excited about Kruger as anyone, but I will withhold that kind of trust until I see him actually do something here. I hope to sweet jesus that you are right and this is a good decision, though.

Really?! Lon Kruger hasn't shown you enough yet? LOL... that's hilarious.

He's only been resurrecting basketball programs his entire career, but suddenly he has to prove himself to you... that's rich.

badger
7/13/2011, 08:47 AM
I know that sometimes program saviors can flop, like Dennis Franchione, but unlike Fran Fran, Lon hasn't left programs high and dry or done anything that would really bring question to his character... right?

Mad Dog Madsen
7/13/2011, 08:58 AM

He's only been resurrecting basketball programs his entire career, but suddenly he has to prove himself to you... that's rich.

+1

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/13/2011, 10:10 AM

No, tell me what he has done for The University of Oklahoma? Nothing yet, and until he does Im just not gonna blindly follow every move he makes. Yes he has a good track record but he has more pressure on him now than he ever has at any other school, who knows if thats influencing any of his choices.

Im not saying that bringing Rotnei in IS a bad move, Im saying that given Rotneis past it doesnt appeal to me at all, but that could change. Im sorry that my opinion on this differs from yours.

badger
7/13/2011, 11:00 AM
He threw a strike when throwing out the first pitch for an OU baseball game :)

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/13/2011, 11:26 AM
He threw a strike when throwing out the first pitch for an OU baseball game :)

He definitely gets props for that. I see professional athletes in their primes who cant do that. They cant even get the ball to the plate or in the vicinity at all.

sooner_kaufy
7/13/2011, 01:41 PM
It's between OU and Butler at this point. I would be shocked if it's not OU, in fact, I'm almost certain it will be.

Neath a Western Sky
7/13/2011, 02:34 PM
It's between OU and Butler at this point. I would be shocked if it's not OU, in fact, I'm almost certain it will be.

Hope you're right, amigo!

Ton Loc
7/13/2011, 11:57 PM
Just keep his family away from him, any cameras, or media and Rotnei should be fine.

Maybe...

WichitaSooner
7/14/2011, 12:02 AM
No, tell me what he has done for The University of Oklahoma? Nothing yet, and until he does Im just not gonna blindly follow every move he makes. Yes he has a good track record but he has more pressure on him now than he ever has at any other school, who knows if thats influencing any of his choices.

Im not saying that bringing Rotnei in IS a bad move, Im saying that given Rotneis past it doesnt appeal to me at all, but that could change. Im sorry that my opinion on this differs from yours.

Innocent until proven guilty... There is absolutely NO reason not to believe Coach Kruger won't do exactly the same thing here as he has at 4 OTHER STOPS. In fact, it's even reasonable to believe that this might just be the stop that gets Coach Kruger to a level higher than he's ever been. It's MORE LIKELY that is true than the chance he fails.

And what has he done for OU? Well for starters he has accepted the position that no other coach of his caliber would take. And more importantly he has been a one man wrecking crew when it comes to marketing this team and this program already in his short time here. What have YOU done in those short weeks that gives you the right to think you are entitled enough to not trust this man 100%?

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/14/2011, 12:38 AM
Innocent until proven guilty... There is absolutely NO reason not to believe Coach Kruger won't do exactly the same thing here as he has at 4 OTHER STOPS. In fact, it's even reasonable to believe that this might just be the stop that gets Coach Kruger to a level higher than he's ever been. It's MORE LIKELY that is true than the chance he fails.

And what has he done for OU? Well for starters he has accepted the position that no other coach of his caliber would take. And more importantly he has been a one man wrecking crew when it comes to marketing this team and this program already in his short time here. What have YOU done in those short weeks that gives you the right to think you are entitled enough to not trust this man 100%?

Well first of all, saying it is more likely that he will succeed rather than fail is pure speculation so stop trying to act as if thats fact. And what have I done? Not a damn thing, its not my job and believe me, I am MORE than entitled enough to not trust him yet if I so choose. Who are you to tell me who I should and shouldnt trust? You cant go around always getting your panties in a bunch when someone disagrees with you.

You can disagree with me all you want and I will respect that, but I also disagree with you and will voice that disagreement all I want. Now its your turn to respect that.

northspeter
7/14/2011, 05:21 PM
rumor on ouhoops is that he will announce tomorrow that he's attending OU...

yankee
7/14/2011, 08:45 PM
I hope Lon/Rotnei prove me wrong, would love to see it. I'm just worried about OU basketball after 2012.

Eielson
7/15/2011, 08:08 AM
I hope Lon/Rotnei prove me wrong, would love to see it. I'm just worried about OU basketball after 2012.

How does Rotnei make the post-2012 situation any considerable amount worse?

Boomer.....
7/15/2011, 08:47 AM
There's been talk of him being sort of a cancer to the team. Hopefully that's just because he wasn't happy at Arky.

badger
7/15/2011, 10:29 AM
Anyone else attend the Cotton Bowl? I'd be unhappy in Arky around those crazy fans too :D

:mad: I mean seriously! They are CRAZY! They were open records requesting the Nutters cell phone records when it was rumored he was looking at other jobs.

Well, as the self-proclaimed OU womens basketball blogger, there are a few good things that come out of people wanting to get the eff outta Arkansy:

#1:
http://i45.tinypic.com/1ouhk6.jpg

#2:
http://i51.tinypic.com/5my5bs.jpg

Mad Dog Madsen
7/15/2011, 10:58 AM
Well, as the self-proclaimed OU womens basketball blogger, there are a few good things that come out of people wanting to get the eff outta Arkansy:
#1:
http://i45.tinypic.com/1ouhk6.jpg

#2:
http://i51.tinypic.com/5my5bs.jpg

No Jenny Vining??? ;)

badger
7/15/2011, 12:55 PM
No Jenny Vining??? ;)

Nah, she transferred

Mad Dog Madsen
7/15/2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah I know, hence the ;)

badger
7/15/2011, 01:03 PM
mkay. anyone hear anything else on rotnei?

Mad Dog Madsen
7/15/2011, 01:04 PM
Yeah he'll be a Sooner tomorrow... No lie.

Boomer.....
7/15/2011, 01:05 PM
Nothing yet

Mad Dog Madsen
7/15/2011, 01:07 PM
Nothing yet

You should get a better source then... :D

badger
7/15/2011, 01:13 PM
Can you imagine if Felton J. was still here and Rotnei commits? He'd be going through the whole season all like "Yeah, I know last year I was saying Osby was the best player that couldn't play for us yet... well guess what? Rotnei is the NEW Osby!"

On one hand it would have been nice to see how Rotnei being here from the beginning would have been like. On the other hand, froshie year Elite Eight probably wouldn't have happened had we chosen Rotnei instead of Willie. Both Rotnei and Willie on that team? Maybe our shooting versus UNC wouldn't have sucked so much :(

Jason Alexander
7/15/2011, 04:17 PM
Dont remind us of that UNC game. All I wanted in that game was a made three and it took forever before we got one. We might have been better off without WW as he only went 2-9 from the 3 point line. It sucks that Crocker wasn't able to hit a 3p.

King Crimson
7/17/2011, 09:28 AM
Dont remind us of that UNC game. All I wanted in that game was a made three and it took forever before we got one. We might have been better off without WW as he only went 2-9 from the 3 point line. It sucks that Crocker wasn't able to hit a 3p.

can't bag on Crock for that one. he destroyed Syracuse and was asked most of that year to guard the other team's best player. UNC was the better team and NCAA juggernaut. however, despite the endless "Psycho T" hype, i take some solace from how clearly better Blake was than Hansborough. one of our first possessions, BG beats TH so badly on the baseline it's absurd.

picasso
7/17/2011, 09:41 AM

That game was on our coach. Just like the pasting we got the previous year by Louisville.
It was pathetic basketball.

King Crimson
7/17/2011, 09:50 AM
That game was on our coach. Just like the pasting we got the previous year by Louisville.
It was pathetic basketball.

that's a little unfair. it's true our "on ball" D was pretty crappy under Capel and we couldn't defend any kind of true "motion" O....but that's the closest game UNC plays in the tournament. being waxed by Roy Williams and Pitino is gonna happen sometimes.

they blow past people.

now, give me the Juan Patillo Sooners of early February....and we are talking.

soonerprices
7/17/2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah he'll be a Sooner tomorrow... No lie.

Gunner was a Sooner too. :cool:

picasso
7/17/2011, 01:16 PM
that's a little unfair. it's true our "on ball" D was pretty crappy under Capel and we couldn't defend any kind of true "motion" O....but that's the closest game UNC plays in the tournament. being waxed by Roy Williams and Pitino is gonna happen sometimes.

they blow past people.

now, give me the Juan Patillo Sooners of early February....and we are talking.

Maybe. I just don't think Sampson loses with that team to Louisville by 30 or whatever it was.

northspeter
7/17/2011, 05:05 PM
rotnei told one of the ouhoops admins. that he hasn't made a decision... he will announce as soon as he does...

Eielson
7/17/2011, 05:40 PM
Louisville and UNC were both ridiculously more talented than our team. That wasn't Capel's fault. Coaching can only go so far.

pappy
7/17/2011, 06:09 PM
I thought the point guard play was the biggest difference in the UNC game...Ty Lawson was just unstoppable...he did whatever he wanted to do.

picasso
7/17/2011, 07:09 PM
Louisville and UNC were both ridiculously more talented than our team. That wasn't Capel's fault. Coaching can only go so far.

No they weren't. Not 30 points better.

King Crimson
7/17/2011, 10:44 PM
Maybe. I just don't think Sampson loses with that team to Louisville by 30 or whatever it was.

like i said before, Kelvin's teams would defend you on ball. but he lost a lot of first round games. not as bad as people think since we were the lower seed against Stanford (Brevin Knight), Temple (Cheney is out-sampsoning sampson)... ....but the Taj Gray/Bookout teams that lost to Utah and UMC-Milwaukee were bad losses.

the manhattan loss was bad, i give you that. ****ing fran fraschilla....we make his career.

Eielson
7/18/2011, 03:16 AM
No they weren't. Not 30 points better.

Maybe only twenty better. We were clearly outmatched, and it wasn't just coaching (Pitino is obviously better than Capel, though). That UNC team just might have been the most talented starting five of the decade. They were the pick to win it all from day 1.

King Crimson
7/18/2011, 05:03 AM
after all of the media was picking St. Joes to beat us in the first round, coming out very flat and being laid flat by L'Ville wasn't a huge surprise.

OUmillenium
7/28/2011, 10:04 AM
clark update?

stoopified
7/28/2011, 10:27 AM
clark update?Clarke? Who's Clarke,this is a Capel bashing thread. :D

badger
7/28/2011, 11:30 AM
No update to give it appears. All the last news articles out there are from mid July on his visit to OU.

yankee
7/28/2011, 11:51 AM
No update to give it appears. All the last news articles out there are from mid July on his visit to OU.

Decision is supposed to come this week:

By Mark Freeman
[email protected]
Former Razorback basketball player Rotnei Clarke is expected to make a decision this week on where he will play his last season. Clarke will have to sit out a year because of the transfer, so he will be eligible to return to action for the 2012-2013 season.

The two schools Clarke is reported to be choosing from are Oklahoma and Butler.

The Verdigris, Okla. product would likely return to Bud Walton Arena to face the Razorbacks in his final season of eligibility, should he choose the Sooners.

http://www.rivervalleyleader.com/content/rotnei-clarke-decision-expected-week

badger
7/28/2011, 03:45 PM
The key to this is not just improving shooting et al, but whether we give one of our final scholarships for this year to Rotnei. Even though he would have to sit out this year, apparently it would still count toward the 13-limit this year, and we already have 11 on scholly.

I wonder if the reason we haven't gotten Rotnei yet is because of the self-imposed penalty we just imposed and now we're waiting to hear if the NCAA accepts or increases our penalty.

We took away a scholarship for this season. If the NCAA bumps that up to two, we have no room for Rotnei, except as a walk-on. An ex-highly touted recruit like him might not want to do that.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/28/2011, 04:53 PM
Rotnei will come to OU so he can drop 30 on Arky in 2012.

yankee
8/1/2011, 03:51 PM
Clarke reportedly heading to Butler per Jeff Goodman of CBS. Oh well!

badger
8/1/2011, 04:06 PM
Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20110801_234_0_Former336716)

I really wonder if the self-imposed scholly limit meant no scholly room for Rotnei.

Good luck at Butler. Perhaps you'll be the final piece to them winning the title game.

Sooner24
8/1/2011, 04:11 PM
Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20110801_234_0_Former336716)

I really wonder if the self-imposed scholly limit meant no scholly room for Rotnei.

Good luck at Butler. Perhaps you'll be the final piece to them winning the title game.

Butler will go out in the first round next year.

UAB Sooner
8/2/2011, 04:23 PM
Great pick up for Butler