PDA

View Full Version : Which regional whiskey style?

delhalew
6/21/2011, 10:03 AM
Bourbon...Beam, Makers, ect.

Canadian Whisky...Crown Royal, Seagrams, ect.

Single Malt Scotch Whisky...Macallan, Glenlivet, Laphroiag, ect.

Scotch Blends...Johnny Walker, J and B, Chivas, ect.

Irish Wiskey...Jameson, Tullamore Dew, ect.

I vote Irish Whiskey. Jameson. The Micks invented whiskey. They were so offended by other styles, they changed their spelling of Irish Whiskey by adding the "e". Drink on ya bastards.

Yes, it should have been a pole. I didn't realize I lacked that ability.

lexsooner
6/21/2011, 10:06 AM
Bourbon...Beam, Makers, ect.

Canadian Whisky...Crown Royal, Seagrams, ect.

Single Malt Scotch Whisky...Macallan, Glenlivet, Laphroiag, ect.

Scotch Blends...Johnny Walker, J and B, Chivas, ect.

Irish Wiskey...Jameson, Tullamore Dew, ect.

I vote Irish Whiskey. Jameson. The Micks invented whiskey. They were so offended by other styles, they changed their spelling of Irish Whiskey by adding the "e". Drink on ya bastards.

Sorry, what is the question?

Jammin'
6/21/2011, 10:08 AM
You're saying I have to choose one?

Weird, the liquor stores seem to not care if I buy a few of each variety.

delhalew
6/21/2011, 10:08 AM
Sorry, what is the question?

Which do you generally prefer, dopey.

lexsooner
6/21/2011, 10:12 AM
Which do you generally prefer, dopey.

Well, spell it out, ding dong. Bourbon all the way.

delhalew
6/21/2011, 10:24 AM
You're saying I have to choose one?

Weird, the liquor stores seem to not care if I buy a few of each variety.

It's certainly a game time decision for me, but for the sake of conversation, you can muster a ranking.

JohnnyMack
6/21/2011, 10:25 AM
I usually fall back to bourbon and Scotch. Irish whiskey is for homos named :dean:

Lawton4Life
6/21/2011, 10:30 AM
I do like a crown and coke, but if I'm sippin with some ice cubes I prefer Makers.

Scotch seems to burn more than others..is there a reason for that or is it just in my head.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 10:33 AM
Crown & coke is a waste of crown.

Jammin'
6/21/2011, 10:34 AM
bourbon if I'm mixing it.
never really drink the scoth blends.
Any of the other 3 if I'm drinking on the rocks.

that's as close as I can get to providing you a list del.

The Maestro
6/21/2011, 10:35 AM
Bourbon - W.L. Weller. Woodford Reserve. Maker's. Hell, it's all good!

delhalew
6/21/2011, 10:37 AM
bourbon if I'm mixing it.
never really drink the scoth blends.
Any of the other 3 if I'm drinking on the rocks.

that's as close as I can get to providing you a list del.

Good stuff.

Lawton4Life
6/21/2011, 10:37 AM
Crown & coke is a waste of crown.

Actually, a waste would be pouring it on the street so no one can enjoy it.

Consuming it in a way one person enjoys vs the way you enjoy does nothing to diminish your enjoyment of said item.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 10:39 AM
Actually, a waste would be pouring it on the street so no one can enjoy it.

Consuming it in a way one person enjoys vs the way you enjoy does nothing to diminish your enjoyment of said item.

i agree.
you should only drink what you like !!!!
my bad.

delhalew
6/21/2011, 10:40 AM
Bourbon - W.L. Weller. Woodford Reserve. Maker's. Hell, it's all good!

I've drank my fair share of Weller, and of course, tons of Makers.

Lawton4Life
6/21/2011, 10:41 AM
i agree.
you should only drink what you like !!!!
my bad.

Posts like this are going to break the internet. Arent we supposed to fight about our opinion for like 8 pages? :cool:

OUMallen
6/21/2011, 10:42 AM
Bourbon > single malts > blends > irish > canadian

That's not to say I don't like or won't drink Crown. I just prefer in that order.

KantoSooner
6/21/2011, 10:43 AM
Bourbon.

After I quit smoking cigarettes, the scotch thing kind of died for me.

But most any of it's good.

Just had my first sazerac cocktail in NOLA last week. Pretty good, though not an everyday thing. And that's rye-based. Who knew?

The
6/21/2011, 10:43 AM
Macallen 30.

Macanudo Robusto Duke of Devon cut.

There is no way to live better.

Partial Qualifier
6/21/2011, 10:47 AM
Bourbon, Knob Creek or Jefferson's if it's available. Or any other bourbon, really

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 10:53 AM
Posts like this are going to break the internet. Arent we supposed to fight about our opinion for like 8 pages? :cool:

You're right, i've never had any Crown & Coke, but i inherently know it's BAD !!!
true
i had a bottle of Johnny Walker Black & my youngest bro-in-law mixed it with coke. i really believe (or at least did @ that time) that was a waste of good booze. JMHO

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 10:55 AM
I cannot drink that stuff. I've tried, but it all tastes the same to me - like burning. I really WANT to like scotch, but it just tastes like fire to me.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 10:57 AM
as they say, it's an acquired taste.

my experience has been; you can get pleasantly very drunk & hangovers are very mild.

but, that's just me.

The
6/21/2011, 10:57 AM
I cannot drink that stuff. I've tried, but it all tastes the same to me - like burning. I really WANT to like scotch, but it just tastes like fire to me.

Ease into it, like anal sex. Try it with water (blegh) or on the rocks first.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:00 AM
in CA, i liked to drink "scotch mist" which is (obviously) scotch & shaved ice.

bartenders in tx mostly don't know that drink. or it's too complicated. course, i go in dumps & dives.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:01 AM
in my old age, i like scotch & soda.

Harry Beanbag
6/21/2011, 11:01 AM
Bourbon. I have liked Jameson on the few occasions I've tried it though.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 11:12 AM
Ease into it, like anal sex. Try it with water (blegh) or on the rocks first.
I have done this and believe it makes the stuff taste even worse. I love the smell and color of scotch. It's just a huge sensory conflict when my brain smells and sees it and says "That's gonna be awesome. Drink it." and then my tongue says "Why for you pour gasoline on me?"

derp

delhalew
6/21/2011, 11:13 AM

I get crazy acid reflux from Bourbon and Scotch, though I really enjoy them. I find an Irish like Jameson to be a little easier. Pour some on the rocks, and let it melt a little.

After you get used to it, you may choose to drink it neat or with a little room temp water, which is recommended to preserve flavor.

The
6/21/2011, 11:15 AM
I have done this and believe it makes the stuff taste even worse.

Anal sex doesn't taste bad.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:17 AM
my oldest bro-in-law (who IMO has at least a little "class") drinks scotch "neat".

he normally keeps at least 2 brands & i mostly tell him not to waste the good stuff on me.

Mississippi Sooner
6/21/2011, 11:20 AM
A couple of years ago I was staying at the Gault House in Louisville, KY. Woodford Reserve seemed to be the local drink of choice, so I asked for one on the rocks. The waitress looked at me like I just asked for a turd sandwich. A asked, "did I do it wrong?" She said, "well, the accepted way to drink bourbon here is with two parts water."

I started to tell her that if I wanted water I wouldn't have asked for whiskey, but I restrained myself.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 11:25 AM
Anal sex doesn't taste bad.
It does if you're drinking scotch mid-coitus.

OUMallen
6/21/2011, 11:25 AM
I have done this and believe it makes the stuff taste even worse. I love the smell and color of scotch. It's just a huge sensory conflict when my brain smells and sees it and says "That's gonna be awesome. Drink it." and then my tongue says "Why for you pour gasoline on me?"

derp

Don't use ice. Water is fine though. Even the pros will often recommend some water to open it up a little, and also some producers even recommend a LOT of water. (e.g.- Laphroaig cask strength recommends something surprising, like 2 parts water to 1 part scotch.)

Partial Qualifier
6/21/2011, 11:26 AM
in CA, i liked to drink "scotch mist" which is (obviously) scotch & shaved ice.

bartenders in tx mostly don't know that drink. or it's too complicated. course, i go in dumps & dives.

Wha'd you say, boy?? Scotch Mist? What the hayell is that?

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:27 AM
Wha'd you say, boy?? Scotch Mist? What the hayell is that?

eggsactly !!!

OUMallen
6/21/2011, 11:28 AM
A couple of years ago I was staying at the Gault House in Louisville, KY. Woodford Reserve seemed to be the local drink of choice, so I asked for one on the rocks. The waitress looked at me like I just asked for a turd sandwich. A asked, "did I do it wrong?" She said, "well, the accepted way to drink bourbon here is with two parts water."

I started to tell her that if I wanted water I wouldn't have asked for whiskey, but I restrained myself.

1. If the bourbon is that smooth, I don't think you need two-to-one ratio. That should be reserved for really high alc content.

2. I don't blame her for giving you the stink eye. NO ICE! ;)

Mississippi Sooner
6/21/2011, 11:30 AM
1. If the bourbon is that smooth, I don't think you need two-to-one ratio. That should be reserved for really high alc content.

Well, I was a furriner trying to fit in. I'm pretty sure I stuck to Miller Lite after that.

OUMallen
6/21/2011, 11:33 AM
Well, I was a furriner trying to fit in. I'm pretty sure I stuck to Miller Lite after that.

I don't blame you. I was kidding about the stink eye thing. She should have just served the damned drink you ordered.

silverwheels
6/21/2011, 11:37 AM
I like it all. Just let me drink it.

delhalew
6/21/2011, 11:39 AM

Yeah, yeah. No ice. I find a cool drink to be more refreshing, and if I'm in the mood for ice, no one is gonna stop me.

OUMallen
6/21/2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, yeah. No ice. I find a cool drink to be more refreshing, and if I'm in the mood for ice, no one is gonna stop me.

It's like ketchup on a steak. At the end of the day, if that's how you like it, that's how you should have it. No one else is eating it for you.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 12:54 PM
You put ketchup on steak? I think I hate you now. You can't eat steak with ketchup.

Completely ruins the ketchup...

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 12:56 PM
You put ketchup on steak? I think I hate you now. You can't eat steak with ketchup.

Completely ruins the ketchup...

he didn't say that.
:D